HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Lockout Discussion Thread 3.0

Closed Thread

Old
12-04-2012, 11:40 PM
DAChampion

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post
That's what you point out in his post? Not the quote from a respected source?
He edited his post to add the content afterwards. Beforehand he just had that slogan up there.

Once he added the content, I replied to the rest.

Old
12-04-2012, 11:59 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusfring View Post
They don't need to "think" about it. Its about numbers.

The NHL made a mistake in overexpanding to bad markets, and now its trying to make the players pay for that mistake, said Raymond D. Sauer, president of the North American Association of Sports Economists and chair of the economics department at Clemson University. Its that simple.

Let me see: Chair of a major University's Economics department or a poster on a hockey message board?

I stand by my orginal argument.
when you refer to "most", it's expected that you find quote(s) from more than one source.

Old
12-05-2012, 09:16 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
The salary cap, as an example, is determined by the average revenue per team.

If you remove the weakest teams, then the salary cap should go up; according to the Forbes numbers it would go up by ~4%, if I'm adding properly. You'd have fewer players in the league, but average pay per player would go up.

That said, I made some mistakes, I apologize. My argument is not as complete as I thought it was. Here are some factors I neglected to include:

1) Even if the bottom-4 teams contribute 7-10% of league revenues, league revenues would not drop that much, because whatever playoff revenues these teams made would be reallocated to other teams who would now make the playoffs instead.

2) If you maintain an 82 game season, the remaining 26 teams would each host an additional ~13% home games... i.e. the gate revenues lost by not having Florida Panthers home games would be offset by more home games for the remaining teams. Total gate revenue should thus INCREASE if you remove the 4 weakest teams.

However, things I don't know nearly enough about to speak conclusively:

3) The salaries of scouts, coaches, GMs, etc might go up if the remaining 26 teams are on average better-managed, but I'm not sure.

4) The National TV contract would now be split 26 ways rather than 30 ways, but its total monetary value might drop if the ratings drop.

So based #1,2; I don't think contraction would solve anything, but one would need to think more about #3, 4.
Very complex mathematics. My instinct however says that 26 teams in decent markets will provide more total profit than 30 teams with four teams making a loss, thus hurting total profit.

In my mind, profit is what counts, not revenue.

Old
12-05-2012, 09:16 AM
Habs

It's disgusting to think once you remove the two most powerful men in the room, things get done. How on earth Fehr and Gary keep a job after this is beyond me, what a joke.

Old
12-05-2012, 09:18 AM
bsl

Quote:
The salary cap, as an example, is determined by the average revenue per team.

If you remove the weakest teams, then the salary cap should go up; according to the Forbes numbers it would go up by ~4%, if I'm adding properly. You'd have fewer players in the league, but average pay per player would go up.

That said, I made some mistakes, I apologize. My argument is not as complete as I thought it was. Here are some factors I neglected to include:

1) Even if the bottom-4 teams contribute 7-10% of league revenues, league revenues would not drop that much, because whatever playoff revenues these teams made would be reallocated to other teams who would now make the playoffs instead.

2) If you maintain an 82 game season, the remaining 26 teams would each host an additional ~13% home games... i.e. the gate revenues lost by not having Florida Panthers home games would be offset by more home games for the remaining teams. Total gate revenue should thus INCREASE if you remove the 4 weakest teams.

However, things I don't know nearly enough about to speak conclusively:

3) The salaries of scouts, coaches, GMs, etc might go up if the remaining 26 teams are on average better-managed, but I'm not sure.

4) The National TV contract would now be split 26 ways rather than 30 ways, but its total monetary value might drop if the ratings drop.

So based #1,2; I don't think contraction would solve anything, but one would need to think more about #3, 4.
Thorough, honest and academic. I expect nothing less of you DA.

Old
12-05-2012, 09:20 AM
bsl

Quote:
Yet, most independant economists disagree with you.
You may be correct. But please explain why. Your audience here is varied in knowledge.

Old
12-05-2012, 09:32 AM
bsl

Quote:
They don't need to "think" about it. Its about numbers.

“The NHL made a mistake in overexpanding to bad markets, and now it’s trying to make the players pay for that mistake,” said Raymond D. Sauer, president of the North American Association of Sports Economists and chair of the economics department at Clemson University. “It’s that simple.”

Let me see: Chair of a major University's Economics department or a poster on a hockey message board?

I stand by my orginal argument.
You betray a lack of education in your trust in university professors. And all the good ones would say the same.

I was in fact encouraged to question my professors, by my professors, and not one of them ever took offense. None of my professors ever said "It's that simple". Instead, they said: "I am not sure that I am correct, let us discuss this."

Sauer is very likely correct. But I don't care and I do not look to university professors for answers, I look to them for questions.

Old
12-05-2012, 09:39 AM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
You betray a lack of education in your trust in university professors. And all the good ones would say the same.

I was in fact encouraged to question my professors, by my professors, and not one of them ever took offense. None of my professors ever said "It's that simple". Instead, they said: "I am not sure that I am correct, let us discuss this."

Sauer is very likely correct. But I don't care and I do not look to university professors for answers, I look to them for questions.
Really? My uncle is one of the leading genetics professors in the US.

If I have a question regarding the Human Genome Project, trust me, he's a good resource.

Old
12-05-2012, 09:41 AM
gusfring

Quote:

So you have one person, who probably isn't independent, and somehow you know what "most independent sports economists" think ???

Yes, because the dismal science a great analytical and predictive track record :-)

http://knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu/a...articleid=2234

Anyway you should have your own opinion rather than delegating to experts. Always think for yourself if you're in a position to do so. I know a lot of experts at various subjects. I'm an expert. Experts often know what they're talking about. But often, they're wrong, it happens. This will probably happen even more often in a discipline like economics than say physics, as the former has weaker foundations.

If you post his actual argument, I might be impressed. But right now it's just a conclusion and a credential. It has no value.
It is my own opinion. I have had this opinion for many years. Just because someone else has the same opinion, does it not make his only. Surely, that is a false argument.

Old
12-05-2012, 10:09 AM
Gally11

lol the players really "paid" for the NHL's "mistakes" when their salaries nearly doubled over the last CBA.

Old
12-05-2012, 10:26 AM
WhiskeySeven
Keeps hot stuff hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whereabouts Unknown View Post
lol the players really "paid" for the NHL's "mistakes" when their salaries nearly doubled over the last CBA.
Revenues went up by much more than that. If the economy is good shouldn't they all be getting appropriate raises anyway?

Edit: It's infuriating to think that there are people who really feel this way. I have no idea how to approach this.

Last edited by WhiskeySeven: 12-05-2012 at 10:47 AM.
Old
12-05-2012, 10:27 AM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whereabouts Unknown View Post
misquoting what he said; the players "will pay".
And anyways, it's normal that if revenues goes up, player salaries go up, reason why there is a CBA. Right now, league revenues are going up and salaries are going down. So players "will pay" for gap in profits due to some teams that have very big gap between expenses and revenues.

Old
12-05-2012, 10:40 AM
HCH

Quote:
BTW Dallas Stars are a profitable team. They have an operating income of 3 million/year, and their franchise valuation increased by 4% last year. There is no need for them to relocate. However, if you removed the 4 weakest teams from the NHL, they would become unprofitable due to rising costs. Dallas would only need to be contracted if you contracted other teams first.
The rising or falling value of a business doesn't necessarily mean it is profitable Shares of Apple have fallen 22% from their peak but they are still profitable. You, me or Forbes can put any price we want on a franchise but until it sells, we are only speculating what is value is.

We also don't know if Dallas would become unprofitable if four economically weak teams were removed. There are too many factors to consider.

And both sides must shudder at the idea of contraction. Losing jobs for 100 NHL players would be a black mark on Fehr's resume as well as Bettman's.

Old
12-05-2012, 11:40 AM
CN_paladin

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...ing-break.html

Either a deal gets done by Friday or the rest of December games are cancelled

Quote:
According to a source with a good knowledge of the NHL’s business workings, the league has a deal with its major sponsors that will pay it 100 percent of its money if the league plays a schedule of 61 or more games. If the schedule dips below 61 games, the league will receive only 75 percent of its sponsorship money. That percentage continues to decrease down to 50 percent if the league only plays a 41-game schedule.

Old
12-05-2012, 11:44 AM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by CN_paladin View Post

Bettman canceled his press conference which was supposed to happen at 1pm. Good decision, since it's very useless to the negotiation process as a whole, and points to ever increasing progress made

Old
12-05-2012, 11:49 AM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Most of them are too busy playing in Europe!!!

the 18 Players that will be there are:

Craig Adams, David Backes, Michael Cammalleri, Sidney Crosby, B.J. Crombeen, Mathieu Darche, Shane Doan, Ron Hainsey, Shawn Horcoff, Jamal Mayers, Manny Malhotra, Andy McDonald, Ryan Miller, George Parros, Brad Richards, Martin St. Louis, Jonathan Toews and Kevin Westgarth.
Bolded the players that have over 4mil left on their contracts - that's 11 of 18. Plus Malhotra has 2.5mil left, at the end of his career. None of the rest is under 27 years old.

If these are the sessions where a new CBA is finalized, I would bet that any compromises favor those players with big contracts. In other words, favorable "make whole" in exchange for concessions down the road. Round 3, 2018-19.

Old
12-05-2012, 12:41 PM
NewHabsEra*

Personally I didnt talk much about this lock-out but how the players can blame the owners to spend riduculous money on contracts is beyond me, I mean at some point every organisations want to win, the players want to win, the coaches want to win, the GMs want to win and its not different for the owners.. Also its easier to sell seats when you have a good product on the ice, especially in good markets and for example Minnesota is a pretty good hockey market, with the adds they made, their fans will finally have a very good product on ice to watch and its easy to expect a signifiant upgrade on the tickets sell in the upcoming years.. Players want a competitive team to play for and if they dont feel their team isnt doing enough effort regarding UFAs and all, they will ask to be traded, so blaming the owners for not being structurated enough and spending like crazy horses is quite hypocrite..

Old
12-05-2012, 12:42 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Has there been any discussion about rule changes or cracking down on existing rules like hooking and interference? 2012 season made it look like we were fast headed back to the dead puck era.

Old
12-05-2012, 01:44 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Crampoli joins the CBA talks today.

Will he lead another successful mission (suck for Galchenyuk being the first)?

Or will now all 30 fanbases hate him as much as we do if it collapses?

Old
12-05-2012, 02:13 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by CN_paladin View Post

I think the earliest games could be played right now would be around January 1st with about a week to get a deal done, 10 days of camp plus 4-5 days for Christmas...maybe December 27th at the earliest. I think the most games they can play is around 50 right now.

Old
12-05-2012, 02:17 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
Personally I didnt talk much about this lock-out but how the players can blame the owners to spend riduculous money on contracts is beyond me, I mean at some point every organisations want to win, the players want to win, the coaches want to win, the GMs want to win and its not different for the owners.. Also its easier to sell seats when you have a good product on the ice, especially in good markets and for example Minnesota is a pretty good hockey market, with the adds they made, their fans will finally have a very good product on ice to watch and its easy to expect a signifiant upgrade on the tickets sell in the upcoming years.. Players want a competitive team to play for and if they dont feel their team isnt doing enough effort regarding UFAs and all, they will ask to be traded, so blaming the owners for not being structurated enough and spending like crazy horses is quite hypocrite..
That's why the CBA needs to have no loopholes like the 2005 agreement that allowed contracts to be buried in the minors(and off the cap) as well as 12 year "cap friendly" deals that go against the spirit of the cap. More revenue sharing will also make it easier for small markets to compete, let's face it nobody wants to pay $300 a night to watch the Habs play Boston or Toronto 15 times a year.

Old
12-05-2012, 03:38 PM
canadiensnation
Go Habs Go

Peter Budaj has signed with HC Banska of the Slovak Extraliga.

Old
12-05-2012, 03:39 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Really? My uncle is one of the leading genetics professors in the US.

If I have a question regarding the Human Genome Project, trust me, he's a good resource.
I also know somebody who was involved in the first successful genetic sequencing efforts. Great resource, a brilliant man with so much energy, but he does discuss at great lengths some of the internal arguments that experts have on even fundamental issues. As such, an expert opinion on these issues isn't equivalent to a fact since, among other reasons, you can frequently find another expert with the opposite opinion. For example, he likes to brag that when he was at Stanford aroound the 1980s he had long-running arguments with the mainstream professors, many of whom actually thought that junk DNA was junk (hence the name which was once thought to be a sensible label but is now recognized as a misnomer).

I don't just ask him for answers, I ask him for explanations when I talk to him. He's very thorough. I guess we can blame the media here: all they quoted from that sports economics professor were his credentials and his conclusions. Maybe he has some great, well thought out reasons for his conclusions, but they're not provided in the article. They don't explain his reasoning or uncertainty level at all, which is why I said it's not worth anything.

Old
12-05-2012, 03:44 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Crampoli joins the CBA talks today.

Will he lead another successful mission (suck for Galchenyuk being the first)?

Or will now all 30 fanbases hate him as much as we do if it collapses?
Honestly, if I was a player whose career was probably over due to my declining play I'd probably be too embarrassed or ashamed to show up at these talks.

Maybe Campoli doesn't realize he's done. I just checked, he is indeed a free agent. The NHL labor market is not kind to 3rd pairing dmen with consistency issues. One bad year is enough to permanently lose your spot to the plethora of youth hungering for ice time.

Old
12-05-2012, 03:46 PM
thom

I would argue do you want to see 6 to 5 games like in the 1980's that was a joke for old timers like me.

Closed Thread