HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Rangers Prospects Thread (Player Stats in Post #1; Updated 12/5)

Closed Thread

Old
12-05-2012, 08:25 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

vCash: 500
I don't know. Jay Bouwmeester is the anti-physical. Skjei is definitely able to take a hit or make a hit when necessary.

12-05-2012, 08:25 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I know many people here like to classify Skjei as having McDonagh-like upside but I think if all breaks well for him I think the Rangers would be looking at Jay Bouwmeester-like upside with the way he joins the rush and carries the puck. I don't think he will ever be as physical as McDonagh will be.
I don't think people are exactly saying McDonagh-like upside, but more like playing style. Big guy who skates very well, plays smart, good on defense and maybe not a lot of offense. Could be more of a 2nd pair guy with those skills versus McDonagh being a first pair guy.

Old
12-05-2012, 08:49 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

It's really tough to make a projection on Skjei right now. He's just so raw that I can't even begin to put a ceiling on him. His upside is all over the map. However, he certainly falls in with the way the Rangers have been drafting as of late. I.e., roll the dice on big kids who can skate but have a very raw skill-set. Kreider, McIlrath, Nieves, Skjei, Grachev, and to a lesser extent Miller, Yogan, Fogarty and Noreau all fall into that category.

If these guys keep panning out, this is going to be one tough team to play against. Big, fast, tough and skilled.

Old
12-05-2012, 08:55 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Will the WJC's be on NHL Network? And when do they start?

Old
12-05-2012, 09:05 AM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
Will the WJC's be on NHL Network? And when do they start?
tourney starts on dec 26th each year...didn't see a tv schedule but the last few years the nhl network aired all the team usa games so we should atleast get those, if not more.

Old
12-05-2012, 09:07 AM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
It's really tough to make a projection on Skjei right now. He's just so raw that I can't even begin to put a ceiling on him. His upside is all over the map. However, he certainly falls in with the way the Rangers have been drafting as of late. I.e., roll the dice on big kids who can skate but have a very raw skill-set. Kreider, McIlrath, Nieves, Skjei, Grachev, and to a lesser extent Miller, Yogan, Fogarty and Noreau all fall into that category.

If these guys keep panning out, this is going to be one tough team to play against. Big, fast, tough and skilled.
I wouldn't say McIlrath could "skate", especially when he was drafted.

Old
12-05-2012, 09:09 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
tourney starts on dec 26th each year...didn't see a tv schedule but the last few years the nhl network aired all the team usa games so we should atleast get those, if not more.
Alriiight I like it...some hockey.

Old
12-05-2012, 09:37 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
He was always considered a "good skater for his size" even at the draft. Usually that means "he's not a completely terrible clumsy oaf on skates but needs to continue improving". From what I've seen he has good straight ahead skating but needs to keep working on his pivoting, etc

Old
12-05-2012, 10:14 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
He was always considered a "good skater for his size" even at the draft. Usually that means "he's not a completely terrible clumsy oaf on skates but needs to continue improving". From what I've seen he has good straight ahead skating but needs to keep working on his pivoting, etc
Yeah, like most big kids who grow that quickly and that much, they are sometimes a bit over-stretched in terms of core and lower body strength. That's why it normally takes the bigger kids longer to develop.

Old
12-05-2012, 10:29 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
I certainly would. You don't find many 6'4 200lb kids who had the kind of footwork he has. Is he in the same mold as a McDonagh? No, but he's certainly an above average skater.

Old
12-05-2012, 10:44 AM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
I don't know. Jay Bouwmeester is the anti-physical. Skjei is definitely able to take a hit or make a hit when necessary.
Yeah, I agree there. I've been impressed his Skjei's willingness to engage physically. He'll never be Darius Kasparaitis, but I haven't seen him be shy about throwing his body around.

Old
12-05-2012, 10:46 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Skjei can lay people out.

I've seen him do it at Minnesota. Rubs offenders out on the boards. He knows how to use his body. He isn't a guy that will chase a hit and take himself out of position. So no, he isn't a bruiser. That doesn't mean he isn't physical.

Can't express enough how intelligent he is as a player.

Old
12-05-2012, 10:48 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post

I've seen him do it at Minnesota. Rubs offenders out on the boards. He knows how to use his body. He isn't a guy that will chase a hit and take himself out of position. So no, he isn't a bruiser. That doesn't mean he isn't physical.

How far off do you think Skjei is? Not that there is any rush.

Old
12-05-2012, 10:59 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post

His physicality reminds me of Girardi's, in the sense that he has the size and strength to lay a hit and knock the opposition on their ass. Similiar to Girardi though, he doesn't take himself out of position. I'd like to see him be a little more aggressive though, and I think that'll happen with time.

Quote:
3+ years. He's so raw, there are a bunch of aspects of his game that need some attention. Most of the voids in his game will come from natural progression. He has the IQ which imo is most important. The rest of his game will develop, and as he continues to fill out and improve his overall strength we'll get a better idea of what kind of dmen he'll evolve in to. Kid has a lot going for him.

Old
12-05-2012, 11:04 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
DM can move for a big guy. Like most monsters on the ice he isn't the most nimble guy, specifically when it comes to stopping/going or turning inside/out. His first two-three strides can certainly be improved, but suggesting he can't skate is way off.

My favorite part of Dylan's skating is when he actually gets going. He's got a nice stride, and his top-end speed is without a doubt impressive for a man his size.

His skating is going to continue improving too as he continues developing his lower-body strength.

Old
12-05-2012, 11:08 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
I'd expect a similar path as McDonagh.

3 years at Minnesota. Not a full year in Hartford.

January-ish 2016.

Old
12-05-2012, 11:15 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Conversely, i expect guys like Nieves and Fogarty to play all four years in the NCAA.

Some guys are on a faster track. McIlrath, Miller, Skjei. The Rangers will say the right things and not "rush" them. But those guys are most certainly expected to develop quicker. And for the most part they are. Skjei is not a project pick. They have not gone into the first round expecting 4 year players. Staal, Del Zotto, Kreider, Miller, McIlrath. See how quickly it took them to go pro. Skjei won't be an exception. Nature of the first round picks. Higher expectations.

Old
12-05-2012, 11:34 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I think Nieves is gone after three years.

Fogarty will probably stick around to graduate. Unless his offense takes off in a year or two.

It's just pain.
Old
12-05-2012, 11:35 AM
NYR Viper

I don't believe Nieves will stay 4 years @ Michigan. I am guessing 3 as well. Forwards can develop faster and with his size and skating, I think it will just a be a matter of time until he fills out and gets enough practice time in with Berenson.

Old
12-05-2012, 11:45 AM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

vCash: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I certainly would. You don't find many 6'4 200lb kids who had the kind of footwork he has. Is he in the same mold as a McDonagh? No, but he's certainly an above average skater.
His agility is poor, but his speed is surprisingly good. He's not slow by any means.

Old
12-05-2012, 01:42 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Dylan has excellent skating ability for his size. He always has.

The scary part is it still looks incredibly unpolished and raw, I still see a lot of room for improvement which is a good thing.

Old
12-05-2012, 03:43 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post

I was watching McIlrath and Noreau in the last Traverse and you could see a huge difference in the way the two skate and move. And this despite the fact that Noreau is a decent skater for his size. McIlrath is not going to look like Bure or Fedorov, but he's skating no worse than Beukeboom at the same age. They are the same size and McIlrath is tougher.

Beuk could fight decently well, but he'd usually fight to a draw. McIlrath just pummels people into submission. He could become just as good as Beuk with better fighting skills.

Old
12-05-2012, 04:06 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:

He's the 4-5 defenseman on a college team.

Because college and junior hockey has a lot of players who later develop into stars, while lower-minors do not, people confuse just how much of a gap there is between pro and college hockey, and just how much development a player needs. Even the top college hockey teams are no more than on ECHL level. There's more talent, but less experience and physical development, so if you throw a team like Minnie or Michigan up against Greenville in a 7-game series, it will be a close fought battle, with my money on Greenville. Also, due to the ECHLers being physically fit (men, as opposed to boys), they would hold up better in the NHL than your average college player.

Considering that he's below average on the Minnie team, Skjei is probably good enough to play somewhere on the border of the ECHL and the Central Hockey League, meaning he'd be a bottom-end player in the ECHL and a top-end player in the CHL. That's a long way to the NHL.

First, he'll need to become a top-notch player in college. Then he'll need to progress to become a top-notch player in the AHL. And only then will he be called up.

This would be a good development for him.

Freshman (12-13): #4-5 D
Sophomore (13-14): First pair D
Junior (14-15): Star NCAA D
Move to the AHL early (15-16): Top-4 AHL D
Move to the NHL at the age of 22 (16-17): Bottom line NHLer after half a season more in the AHL
Sophomore in the NHL (17-18): Become an NHL regular

This would be very, very good development for him. It is a very optimistic progression, and it would still mean waiting another 5 years until he's a half-decent NHL defenseman.

Keep in mind that defensemen develop longer than others, and Skjei will take more time than the average defenseman, so expecting that he'll be a productive NHL in 5 years is very optimistic.

All the projections about him being NHL-ready in 2-3 years are garbage. How many defensemen who are 20-21 play in the NHL outside of those who were drafted in the top dozen? Who are you kidding?!

McIlrath was a top-10 pick, and even if he's a reach, he'd still have gone before #28 where Skjei was drafted. Yet, he's still ways away from the NHL.

In 2010, 4 defensemen were drafted in the second half of the first round (between #13 and #23) and none have played in the NHL yet.

In 2009, 7 defensemen were drafted after #12 and only 2 made it so far.

All these players were drafted in a higher position than Skjei and most of them were seen as much less raw than he is.

He will need 3-4 years of NCAA hockey and another 1-3 years of AHL hockey, so he'll need 4-7 years to develop until he's 22-25.

Nobody wants to remember this at draft time, but players, defensemen drafted outside of the top-dozen in particular, normally take until about 24-25 to develop.

Old
12-05-2012, 04:25 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I think Nieves is gone after three years.

Fogarty will probably stick around to graduate. Unless his offense takes off in a year or two.

I agree. Nieves is already a second liner in Michigan. Next year, A.J. Treais, Kevin Lynch and Lindsay Sparks will graduate. Alex Guptill will probably leave early because he deserves it. That will be enough for him to become a first liner, assuming he keep progressing.

The following year, if Nieves works out to become strong enough for pro hockey, he'll make the move to the AHL. He'll need a couple more years in the AHL, but I'm hopeful about this kid.

Old
12-05-2012, 04:43 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
I agree. Nieves is already a second liner in Michigan. Next year, A.J. Treais, Kevin Lynch and Lindsay Sparks will graduate. Alex Guptill will probably leave early because he deserves it. That will be enough for him to become a first liner, assuming he keep progressing.

The following year, if Nieves works out to become strong enough for pro hockey, he'll make the move to the AHL. He'll need a couple more years in the AHL, but I'm hopeful about this kid.
The fact that he's "already a second" liner doesn't mean a whole ton when you realize the state that the team is in. They're 5-8-2 overall and aren't even ranked this year. Is he in a good position to see a lot of time? Absolutely, but let's not get carried away. It's not as if he's facing a ton of internal competition like Fogarty and Skjei are.

Closed Thread