HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nationals, Wizards, DC United, O's, Ravens....DC area sports III

Closed Thread

Old
12-04-2012, 04:11 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
With all the reports of the Orioles attmepting to trade for a power bat (Jones, Butler, Morse, etc.), it certainly seems like Reynolds won't be back. Wonder what that means for Davis as well, especially if a DH-type (Morse) is acquired.
Honestly....Id rather them bring back Reynolds and try to sign/trade for a decent starter...but whatever. I can't ever figure out this team in the offseason.

Old
12-04-2012, 04:16 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
With all the reports of the Orioles attmepting to trade for a power bat (Jones, Butler, Morse, etc.), it certainly seems like Reynolds won't be back. Wonder what that means for Davis as well, especially if a DH-type (Morse) is acquired.
I was pretty surprised Reynolds was non-tendered by the O's personally.

Old
12-04-2012, 04:24 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

I was 50/50 on whether they'd non-tender him or send him to arbitration. Really thought they'd try to get a deal done before arbitration at less than the expected arb rate.

I understand moving away from Reynolds, but not giving up other assets to get a different power bat. If we went to the free agent market for LaRoche, Swisher, or Youkilis it would be understandable. But to ditch Reynolds and trade something away to bring in, say, Morse? Don't get it.

Old
12-04-2012, 08:26 PM
Capitlols

The RG3 effect.

Old
12-04-2012, 08:29 PM
tycoonheart

Wow. That waa brilliant. From start to finish.

Old
12-04-2012, 08:45 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

vCash: 600
Cue the Ted "We're going in the right direction" posts.

Old
12-05-2012, 09:07 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
I was 50/50 on whether they'd non-tender him or send him to arbitration. Really thought they'd try to get a deal done before arbitration at less than the expected arb rate.

I understand moving away from Reynolds, but not giving up other assets to get a different power bat. If we went to the free agent market for LaRoche, Swisher, or Youkilis it would be understandable. But to ditch Reynolds and trade something away to bring in, say, Morse? Don't get it.
Appears the O's are kicking the tires on Justin Morneau too.

I dunno. They could have just kept Reynolds and held on to some of their young pitching, instead they are going to trade away assets for something else that might not work out.

Then the Nick Swisher rumors started last night too and I nearly vomited.

Old
12-05-2012, 10:40 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

I won't be too broken up about Reynolds leaving. I liked the guy, and his defense at first was a revelation, but he basically had one and a half dominant months (August and half of May). Other than that, he ranged from abysmal (April, July) to pretty good (September).

If they get a Butler, Stanton, Hosmer, Morneau (assuming health), or one of the other big bat names thrown out there, his production won't be missed at all.

Here's hoping slimy Pete sells MASN to Fox and uses some of that money on Hamilton if a trade doesn't come to fruition. He's got his faults, but his bat is huge. Perfect fit in LF.

Old
12-05-2012, 11:05 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
If they get a Butler, Stanton, Hosmer, Morneau (assuming health), or one of the other big bat names thrown out there, his production won't be missed at all.
To me...this is going to be the problem. They won't get any of the above.

I agree about Hamilton...but it seems to be a pipe dream at this point.

Its just a shame they are not building on the success of this past season. At least not yet. Ho hum.

Old
12-05-2012, 12:48 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Another thing I'm going to get pissed about is if they lose out on resigning McLouth if they are not going after a big fish.

I mean, dont severely over pay or anything, but its obvious to me that the dude works out in Baltimore and in left field. Could it have been a fluke? Maybe, but considering the other options (the ever injured Reimold and the other modge podge in the system)...just get a deal done.

What I'd like to see for the lineup...without the major additions Id really like to see....

McLouth/Reimold
Jones
Markakis

Machado
Hardy
Roberts
Davis

Weiters
Teagarden

DH - Betemit

Valencia
Casilla

It's not ideal, but it is what it is at this point. Just try to build off last year with what they have, I suppose.

Old
12-05-2012, 12:53 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Ha! And just like that...he agrees to a 1 year deal with the O's.
Quote:
@masnRoch

Deal with McLouth will be official once passes physical #orioles

Old
12-05-2012, 01:00 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Another thing I'm going to get pissed about is if they lose out on resigning McLouth if they are not going after a big fish.

I mean, dont severely over pay or anything, but its obvious to me that the dude works out in Baltimore and in left field. Could it have been a fluke? Maybe, but considering the other options (the ever injured Reimold and the other modge podge in the system)...just get a deal done.

What I'd like to see for the lineup...without the major additions Id really like to see....

McLouth/Reimold
Jones
Markakis

Machado
Hardy
Roberts
Davis

Weiters
Teagarden

DH - Betemit

Valencia
Casilla

It's not ideal, but it is what it is at this point. Just try to build off last year with what they have, I suppose.
Looks good to me, honestly. If Reimold returns to pre-injury form and Roberts is even reasonably healthy, that'll be improvement in LF and 2B. I also think Machado takes a step forward at the plate. I mean, the team came within a couple innings of beating the Yankees, missing arguably their best player (Markakis). If the pitching holds up, they'll be fine.

Glad to hear about McLouth. Dude's a gamer.

Old
12-05-2012, 02:36 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Love that they kept McLouth.

Getting a middle of the order, RH bat at 1B and shifting Davis back to DH makes the line-up look a lot better. Youkilis, Reynolds, and Swisher seem like the best fits (though Swisher's price tag is likely to exceed his worth and he's never spent more time at 1B than the OF). Reynolds might actually be the best fielder of the bunch, but Youkilis' ability to play competent 3B as well would provide a lot more options if Machado or Hardy get hurt. Not in love with the market there, though I would also consider LaRoche despite him being a lefty.

But I could live with this line-up as is if they add a front of the rotation starter instead of another big bat.

Old
12-05-2012, 07:24 PM
Atlas

Quote:
Love that they kept McLouth.

Getting a middle of the order, RH bat at 1B and shifting Davis back to DH makes the line-up look a lot better. Youkilis, Reynolds, and Swisher seem like the best fits (though Swisher's price tag is likely to exceed his worth and he's never spent more time at 1B than the OF). Reynolds might actually be the best fielder of the bunch, but Youkilis' ability to play competent 3B as well would provide a lot more options if Machado or Hardy get hurt. Not in love with the market there, though I would also consider LaRoche despite him being a lefty.

But I could live with this line-up as is if they add a front of the rotation starter instead of another big bat.

I like McLouth, too. The kid plays an honest game.

I wonder if Machado will be/ought to be at 3B or SS. I love him at 3B and will be happy if he's there for the next 20 years. But if they're gonna move him to SS maybe Hardy gets dealt this winter? He wasn't great this year.

Old
12-05-2012, 10:49 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

O's sign Conor Jackson to a minor league deal.

When he was healthy, he was a decent player. Maybe DD catches the McLouth lightning in the bottle again?

Old
12-05-2012, 11:51 PM
Atlas

I am so done with Brian Roberts.

He was a fine player once. Now he is a distraction at best. At worst, he no longer has major league skills, major league health or a major league melon. If he tears it up in spring training I'd give him a chance. Otherwise, I hope he sails gracefully off into the night.

Old
12-06-2012, 06:16 AM
Stewie G

Who is the hitting coach for the O's? Maybe catching lightning in a bottle was due to fixing a mechanical flaw or some other aspect of McLouth's approach at the plate. The Cardinals have always had luck with reclamation pitchers, most often attributed to Dave Duncan. I'm not sure if something similar might be at play with the O's. It's just the first thing that popped into my head.

Old
12-06-2012, 07:11 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
Who is the hitting coach for the O's? Maybe catching lightning in a bottle was due to fixing a mechanical flaw or some other aspect of McLouth's approach at the plate. The Cardinals have always had luck with reclamation pitchers, most often attributed to Dave Duncan. I'm not sure if something similar might be at play with the O's. It's just the first thing that popped into my head.
Jim Presley. I don't feel like he's considered responsible for the whole McLouth thing.

The real miracle worker coach in the organization seems to be Rick Peterson. His biomechanics analysis of the pitchers led to the revival of Tillman, Matusz, Miguel Gonzalez, etc. He's basically the reason whenever the O's call a pitcher up, they were successful.

Old
12-06-2012, 10:29 AM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

O's pick up TJ McFarland in the Rule V draft from Cleveland. Left-handed, groundball pitcher that split between AA and AAA last season.

Old
12-06-2012, 12:30 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
O's pick up TJ McFarland in the Rule V draft from Cleveland. Left-handed, groundball pitcher that split between AA and AAA last season.
Works for me. Gives them another arm so they can perhaps make a deal with one of the other young arms.

Old
12-06-2012, 12:56 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Don't think it really impacts them dealing another young arm. He doesn't have the same upside as Arrieta, Tillman, Matusz, or Britton. And it's doubtful he'd be ready for the majors at the start of the season anyway (his AAA numbers weren't very impressive). It does bolster depth and he could crack the majors soon-ish, but I don't think it really impacts their decision process with the other young arms. It's not like there's a lack of options, it's just a matter of who steps up and who can find some consistency.

Old
12-06-2012, 01:47 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

vCash: 600
I'm not going to bother questioning their opinions on the arms. I don't know enough, and they've proven themselves this season.

They took some scrubs and looked like geniuses.

We all thought their pen would be mediocre at best and struggle at worst, and it was dominant.

Old
12-06-2012, 02:59 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Don't think it really impacts them dealing another young arm. He doesn't have the same upside as Arrieta, Tillman, Matusz, or Britton. And it's doubtful he'd be ready for the majors at the start of the season anyway (his AAA numbers weren't very impressive). It does bolster depth and he could crack the majors soon-ish, but I don't think it really impacts their decision process with the other young arms. It's not like there's a lack of options, it's just a matter of who steps up and who can find some consistency.
You usually dont take a Rule 5 guy with the intention of them not being ready for the majors, but whatever. I'd like to see them re-sign Saunders, then trade Arrieta and/or Britton in a deal for something.

Hammel
Chen
Gonzalez
Saunders* (not signed)
Tillman

Bundy
Arrieta
Britton
McFarland
Matusz
Hunter
S Johnson
Ayala
Strop
O'Day
Johnson

They have a **** load of pitching now...especially young unproven starters. Wont be room for them all. Sure, some have options and what not, but plenty of depth.

Last edited by strungout: 12-06-2012 at 03:06 PM.
Old
12-06-2012, 03:10 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
You usually dont take a Rule 5 guy with the intention of them not being ready for the majors, but whatever.
It only costs $50K to claim him, and you get $25K of that back if the other team takes him back. If you think he's got a chance of cracking the team out of spring training, it doesn't hurt all that much. I see it more as one of their minor league deals with a spring training invite. Some work out, many don't.

I agree we have some spare pieces we can look to trade. Not sure who I'd give up at this point, guess it depends on what we'd be getting back and who the other team is interested in. I still really like Britton and Matusz looked sharp in the pen. So I guess Arrieta would be the one I'd try to deal.

I'm also not counting on Gonzalez to be a reliable starter. The difference between him on normal rest and extra rest last year was clear, so he's got to fix that first off. And you have to think he was overachieving last year, not sure if he can match that performance again. Not to mention he has a grand total of only 14 career starts. I certainly hope he can maintain the kind of numbers he had, but I wouldn't build my rotation to depend on it.

Also, you forgot Troy Patton in the pen.

e; Red Sox signed Koji Uehara. Bummer, would have loved him back in B'More.

Old
12-06-2012, 03:16 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

If the other team doesn't take him back, the rule 5 guy has to stay on the 40-man roster all year, a la Ryan Flaherty last season.

That's the one thing I don't like about the pickup.

Closed Thread