HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-13 Lockout Discussion Part VIII: "The 11th Hour" Edition

Closed Thread

Old
12-05-2012, 08:47 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
saying there's "a long ways to go" is dumb, they're not rewriting the entire CBA. Things can change in a hurry if one side or another shifts its position and once the core things are agreed to, **** will get done really fast
Lev, I think Brooks is just going off of what Daly I had said yesterday about a long ways to go. However, Daly is supposedly "not involved." Though last night Steve Fehr stated it was the best day they've had.

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
NHL is trying to postpone Quebec Labor Board meetings in Montreal tomorrow and Fri. If CBA mtngs continue, B.Daly intends on staying in NYC.

I'm still a tad skeptical even though all involved yest carefully characterize the day as a very good day. Need more good days to close.

Owners and players will weave discussions around the NHL's Board mtng. Could go late again. If so, can a deal be more than a few days away?

-Dreger's tweets an hour ago.

Dan Rosen ‏@drosennhl
“@sroarke_nhl: Bettman was supposed to speak at conclusion of Board of Govs meeting. Chance that won't happen if CBA negotiations continue”

Old
12-05-2012, 08:51 AM
Levitate

Yeah it wasn't totally a shot at Brooks, it's just what always gets said and with these things it's always like "there's still a lot of work to do" and "they're still far apart" right up until it magically gets done.

You don't really seem to get updates that are like "things are moving closer, more stuff has been worked out" or "almost everything is finished, just a few details left". That stuff seems to get worked out in the meetings and then **** is announced as done even if the last update before the meeting might have been "there's still a lot of work to do"

Old
12-05-2012, 08:53 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Yeah it wasn't totally a shot at Brooks, it's just what always gets said and with these things it's always like "there's still a lot of work to do" and "they're still far apart" right up until it magically gets done.

You don't really seem to get updates that are like "things are moving closer, more stuff has been worked out" or "almost everything is finished, just a few details left". That stuff seems to get worked out in the meetings and then **** is announced as done even if the last update before the meeting might have been "there's still a lot of work to do"
Oh I know what you're saying and agree. There isn't going to be up to the minute updates of how close the process is getting. It will definitely be like the Rick Nash trade.

Old
12-05-2012, 09:16 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

james duthie ‏@tsnjamesduthie
Nothing to be read into that. The two sides just didn't want to be rushed with BOG meeting at 11.

james duthie ‏@tsnjamesduthie
No meetings this morning. Owners on way to BOG meetings. Meeting with PA expected to continue later today.

If you look at James Duthie's twitter he hasn't tweeted anything about the NHL/Lockout in months.

Old
12-05-2012, 09:29 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Tim Panaccio ‏@tpanotchCSN
Two sides apparently gathered on their own this morning; will meeting this afternoon after Bettman and BOG meeting here in NYC

Old
12-05-2012, 09:36 AM
ltrangerfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
Tim Panaccio ‏@tpanotchCSN
Two sides apparently gathered on their own this morning; will meeting this afternoon after Bettman and BOG meeting here in NYC
Owners who attended yesterday's meeting are discussing where they thought a deal needs to be to start the season (at BOG meeting today based on yesterday's feedback). If they can't get there then you will see a different sentiment after today PA/ owners meeting.

Today's bog meeting is truly the key. I have read how happy the players were after the meeting but I have not seen one response from an owner. Therefore, all the optimism is based on a one sided view.

Last edited by ltrangerfan: 12-05-2012 at 09:44 AM.
Old
12-05-2012, 09:44 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrangerfan View Post
Owners at yesterday's meeting are discussing where they thought a deal needs to be to start the season (based on yesterday's feedback). If they can't get there then you will see a different sentiment after today PA/ owners meeting.

Today's bog meeting is truly the key. I have read how happy the players were after the meeting but I have not seen one response from an owner. Therefore, all the optimism is based on a one sided view.
What have the players said? I haven't seen any specific comments other than there's optimism and progress, and that's from both sides.

Old
12-05-2012, 09:48 AM
ltrangerfan

Quote:
What have the players said? I haven't seen any specific comments other than there's optimism and progress, and that's from both sides.
It's just my impression from reading twitter comments.

Based on readings I'm sure the owners offered some further concessions.

I also believe the players were restricted as to what they could say.

If I'm wrong you'll probably know within a day or so.

Old
12-05-2012, 09:52 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Larry Brooks ‏@NYP_Brooksie
Franchises that generate most of revenue for NHL expected to push for compromise/deal. Question whether small markets can/will push back.

Sounds like just speculation on Brooks' part.

Old
12-05-2012, 10:31 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Josh Rose ‏@joshrose88
@tpanotchCSN if Crosby and the Penguins can help end this lockout I promise not to boo them for the entire upcoming season.

Got a chuckle out of that.

Old
12-05-2012, 10:52 AM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

Quote:
Josh Rose ‏@joshrose88
@tpanotchCSN if Crosby and the Penguins can help end this lockout I promise not to boo them for the entire upcoming season.

Got a chuckle out of that.
I'll be grateful... very grateful... but I make no such promise.

Old
12-05-2012, 10:55 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Larry Brooks ‏@NYP_Brooksie
Franchises that generate most of revenue for NHL expected to push for compromise/deal. Question whether small markets can/will push back.

Sounds like just speculation on Brooks' part.
Pretty obvious assumption.

Teams that generate the most revenue are losing money every day.

The bottom half of the league is actually saving money by keeping their doors closed.

Old
12-05-2012, 10:56 AM
Levitate

Screw that, this is obviously a ploy by Bettman to hype up the Penguins (his pet franchise) as the team that saved hockey by ending the lockout. Boo that team and boo that man

Old
12-05-2012, 11:00 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Screw that, this is obviously a ploy by Bettman to hype up the Penguins (his pet franchise) as the team that saved hockey by ending the lockout. Boo that team and boo that man
That's why i got a laugh out of it.

Old
12-05-2012, 11:02 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Pretty obvious assumption.

Teams that generate the most revenue are losing money every day.

The bottom half of the league is actually saving money by keeping their doors closed.
How is that possible? Do they not have to pay rent on their arena leases? What about management salaries? The list goes on and on. They aren't bringing in any revenue but still have significant expenses even without player payroll to contend with.

Old
12-05-2012, 11:02 AM
Lundsanity30

I'm with that guy!!. I can go 60 games without having to boo Crosby if he ends the lockout.

Old
12-05-2012, 11:07 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Ha I agree... but I don't care.

Hockey!

12-05-2012, 11:09 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
How is that possible? Do they not have to pay rent on their arena leases? What about management salaries? The list goes on and on. They aren't bringing in any revenue but still have significant expenses even without player payroll to contend with.
Yeah I imagine it really isn't that clear cut.

Old
12-05-2012, 11:12 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

According to Millard,Kyper and MacLean,Bettman wants a deal done by Friday. Training camps open on December 14. MacLean said he heard December 1 was the drag out date. The NHL wanted to wait until December 1 to get a deal.

Old
12-05-2012, 11:14 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Reason for optimism, NHL plans to relent on player contracting issues.Player contract length still remains important to the league.
https://twitter.com/aaronward_nhl/st...72862544248832

The owners should get contract term limits or some restrictions on the dummy contracts.

Old
12-05-2012, 11:20 AM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

This is the first time I've been optimistic about a season actually happening this year since they dropped the puck last season. I feel the sponsorship money dropping to 75% if they didn't get a full year in has played a HUGE role in these negotiations.

Build on the optimism and knock this out. Get the product back on the ice with only minimal losses.

Old
12-05-2012, 11:25 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
The reason why I say this is that by shutting things down for two weeks, the league is putting an awful lot into jeopardy. According to a source with a good knowledge of the NHLís business workings, the league has a deal with its major sponsors that will pay it 100 percent of its money if the league plays a schedule of 61 or more games. If the schedule dips below 61 games, the league will receive only 75 percent of its sponsorship money. That percentage continues to decrease down to 50 percent if the league only plays a 41-game schedule.
http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...ing-break.html

Old
12-05-2012, 11:25 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
According to Millard,Kyper and MacLean,Bettman wants a deal done by Friday. Training camps open on December 14. MacLean said he heard December 1 was the drag out date. The NHL wanted to wait until December 1 to get a deal.
That's so frustrating because it means they planned to lose at least 2 months of the season right from the get go and that's rather insulting to the fans and even worse for all of the people who rely on NHL games as part of their revenue generation (vendors at arenas, etc)

Old
12-05-2012, 11:27 AM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
I hope they don't try to fit a 61 game season in.

Old
12-05-2012, 11:29 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
I hope they don't try to fit a 61 game season in.
They certainly will

Closed Thread