HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Oilers Ducks Sharks

Old
12-05-2012, 01:44 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
Great, why are you directing that at me? My only contention is that Sbisa is no longer a third pairing defenseman, and that I think Beauchemin is a better defenseman than Petry.
Sorry, I forgot who I'd quoted. Not directed at you then.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 01:56 AM
capitalsrock

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
To Oilers
Ryan Getzlaf
Ryane Clowe

To Ducks
Joe Pavelski
Sam Gagner
Jeff Petry
2013 1st round pick Oilers
2014 1st round pick Oilers

To Sharks
Corey Perry
Try making a proposal without Petry for once and the usual gagner/picks that aren't worth anything

capitalsrock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 03:33 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalsrock View Post
Try making a proposal without Petry for once and the usual gagner/picks that aren't worth anything
Please, give us a break.

I like Gagner a lot. He doesn't need to be treated like garbage.

I think he's done well for his age. He obviously should've stayed in juniors for a few more years, but he's turning out to be pretty good. He's improved his foot speed and his faceoff winning percentage considerably. He's rarely had anyone decent to play with.

That being said I can guarantee you that 99% of the Oiler fans on these boards will agree with me when I say that he does not quality as being the main piece in a trade to land Perry or Getzlaf.

thadd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 06:34 AM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Juxta, you're missing the point. There is a difference between not needing a player and not having a use for them. Could Anaheim use Petry? Absolutely they could, and their blue line would be better because of it. Does that mean they need him, and more importantly, do they need him at the expense of the players they are giving up? That is a big "Hell no!" They have spots filled on their blue line for the immediate, as well as young D who continue to be, or will soon be, a part of their defense in the future. This includes Luca Sbisa who is two years younger than Petry, and is a better defenseman than Petry was when he was Sbisa's age. I certainly won't say Sbisa is better now, as Petry is handling more responsibility than Sbisa, and he's doing a good job at it. Beauchemin was a pretty foolish argument though. But I digress. The point isn't that they couldn't use him, but that they don't need him at the expense of someone like Getzlaf or Perry. With the continued improvement of Fowler and Sbisa, Vatanen, the newly drafted Lindholm, and the veterans they have now, the Ducks are not in desperate need of help on the blue line for the foreseeable future. It may not be a strength right now, but it's moving in the right direction.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 08:39 AM
capitalsrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Please, give us a break.

I like Gagner a lot. He doesn't need to be treated like garbage.

I think he's done well for his age. He obviously should've stayed in juniors for a few more years, but he's turning out to be pretty good. He's improved his foot speed and his faceoff winning percentage considerably. He's rarely had anyone decent to play with.

That being said I can guarantee you that 99% of the Oiler fans on these boards will agree with me when I say that he does not quality as being the main piece in a trade to land Perry or Getzlaf.
He is literally in every Edmonton proposal on here

capitalsrock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 09:39 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Well, I've never made a proposal with him in it and I don't want to see him traded. He's easily far and away our second best center and we don't have anyone in our system who's got a shot at turning into anything near as good as he is.

His problem is that he's a playmaker who's hasn't been given many minutes playing with snipers.

When the NHL is back I believe he won't have any problems, since we'll have Hall, Eberle and Yakupov in the line-up. He's turned into a pretty reliable player if you don't expect him to be the guy putting the puck into the net and he's very tough for his size.

thadd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 10:21 AM
Oilin Toronto

Quote:
The reason he is in every Edmonton proposal is because it's the same 10year old OP that's behind creating all these retarded proposals. It's really making Edmonton fans irate. I just wish he would stop it.

Edmonton is not trading Petry, Eberle, Hall, or Yakupov unless it's for a massive overpay. IMO, Gagner is not going to be traded either because his stock is at a low. He is worth more to us than what he would fetch in a trade.

These stupid, unrealistic proposals have to stop!!!

Oilin Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 11:58 AM
MessierII

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Doesn't stop it from being true. Sorry for bursting your fantasy bubble.
Based on what? Edmonton is an up and coming contender with a serious opportunity to win a cup in a few years. That's attractive to UFA's Schultz proved that.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 12:15 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Juxta, you're missing the point. There is a difference between not needing a player and not having a use for them. Could Anaheim use Petry? Absolutely they could, and their blue line would be better because of it. Does that mean they need him, and more importantly, do they need him at the expense of the players they are giving up? That is a big "Hell no!" They have spots filled on their blue line for the immediate, as well as young D who continue to be, or will soon be, a part of their defense in the future. This includes Luca Sbisa who is two years younger than Petry, and is a better defenseman than Petry was when he was Sbisa's age. I certainly won't say Sbisa is better now, as Petry is handling more responsibility than Sbisa, and he's doing a good job at it. Beauchemin was a pretty foolish argument though. But I digress. The point isn't that they couldn't use him, but that they don't need him at the expense of someone like Getzlaf or Perry. With the continued improvement of Fowler and Sbisa, Vatanen, the newly drafted Lindholm, and the veterans they have now, the Ducks are not in desperate need of help on the blue line for the foreseeable future. It may not be a strength right now, but it's moving in the right direction.
In no way was I saying that the Ducks should accept the proposed trade. It's awful for them for sure. Yeah, I understand that Petry is a paltry return for someone of Getzlaf's caliber.

But at the same time, you put too much faith into prospects. Beauchemin's 32, and not the type of player who will be playing at a high level into his late thirties. So basically you're assuming that all of Lindholm, Sbisa, and Vatanen will be quality top-4 defensemen, and that one of them will be a capable top-pairing defenseman. Yes, they're all great prospects. But they're just that. Chances. Futures. Potential. Petry is a young, top-4 blue-liner with size, speed, and strong two-way play. If you could get him in a fair deal that didn't involve RPG, there's no reason not to be all over it. Worst comes to worst, you trade one of those prospects for a need. You don't not trade for a player only because he fills a need. That's not a good way to run a team. The Sharks desperately needed defensemen when they traded Brad Stuart for Joe Thornton, but that worked out pretty well.

But I digress. It's your team, you'd know it best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
Based on what? Edmonton is an up and coming contender with a serious opportunity to win a cup in a few years. That's attractive to UFA's Schultz proved that.
Based on several facts.

1, Getzlaf is almost certainly going to stay with Anaheim, presuming they don't lowball him. 2, if Getzlaf decides to leave, there will be an all-out bidding war, and there will be tons of teams needing a big playmaking #1C that will be desperate for his services. If Parise got $7M+ for 13 years, imagine what Getzlaf will feel he deserves. You're acting as though you believe Getzlaf will specifically want to sign with the Oilers out of all 30 teams and will also take a discount to do so, which is laughable. So yeah, there's almost no chance Getzlaf signs in Edmonton.

Old
12-05-2012, 12:28 PM
Sterling31
YNWA

did the NHL reach a deal?

at this time both Perry and Getzlaf are worth signing privileges.

This isn't a knock on their value. They are worth the world, if there was a year and a legit trade deadline.

Ducks fan are just hoping for a resign, the lockout has likely slowed the rebuild idea (eventhough Perry and Getz are a good core to build around)

Sterling31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 12:31 PM
Sterling31
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
No UFA in their right mind would decline EDM as an 'option' of employment after the draft picks they have been reeling in and bright future on the near horizon.

Sterling31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 12:32 PM
rockinghockey

So EDM gives up all that and they don't have the cap room to resign him. Does not make sense, Getz will get big bucks on the UFA market just ask TO.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 04:01 PM
Getz2perry

Quote:
In no way was I saying that the Ducks should accept the proposed trade. It's awful for them for sure. Yeah, I understand that Petry is a paltry return for someone of Getzlaf's caliber.

But at the same time, you put too much faith into prospects. Beauchemin's 32, and not the type of player who will be playing at a high level into his late thirties. So basically you're assuming that all of Lindholm, Sbisa, and Vatanen will be quality top-4 defensemen, and that one of them will be a capable top-pairing defenseman. Yes, they're all great prospects. But they're just that. Chances. Futures. Potential. Petry is a young, top-4 blue-liner with size, speed, and strong two-way play. If you could get him in a fair deal that didn't involve RPG, there's no reason not to be all over it. Worst comes to worst, you trade one of those prospects for a need. You don't not trade for a player only because he fills a need. That's not a good way to run a team. The Sharks desperately needed defensemen when they traded Brad Stuart for Joe Thornton, but that worked out pretty well.

But I digress. It's your team, you'd know it best.

ya they are raining in the Stanly cups!

Sbisa played in the nhl longer the Petry and i feel hes proven he can play in the league and is only going to get better. I trust our prospect pool(only one im worried about is vatanan mostly beacuse of size). what are you thinking we trade for Petry if were not using getz ryan perry? I just feel for what wed have to pay for petry theres plenty of better choice out there, id rather over pay and get gardiner back.

Getz2perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 06:00 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
But at the same time, you put too much faith into prospects. Beauchemin's 32, and not the type of player who will be playing at a high level into his late thirties. So basically you're assuming that all of Lindholm, Sbisa, and Vatanen will be quality top-4 defensemen, and that one of them will be a capable top-pairing defenseman. Yes, they're all great prospects. But they're just that. Chances. Futures. Potential.
Okay, rein it in a bit. Petry hasn't established that this what to expect from him every year. If you're going to categorize Sbisa as a potential fluke, then Petry gets painted with that, too.

I like how our team isn't going to be around forever, but we also shouldn't rely on prospects. Yeah, all those high quality 26 year-olds are there every time the window opens, right? Teams are practically giving talent like that away.

Exit Dose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 06:03 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
Okay, rein it in a bit. Petry hasn't established that this what to expect from him every year. If you're going to categorize Sbisa as a potential fluke, then Petry gets painted with that, too.

I like how our team isn't going to be around forever, but we also shouldn't rely on prospects. Yeah, all those high quality 26 year-olds are there every time the window opens, right? Teams are practically giving talent like that away.
I don't see the point in continuing to argue about Petry/Sbisa, but as for the latter, I'm just saying that Beauchemin is an older guy, and by the time the Ducks are ready to compete again, he'll be even older, and that at the same time your prospects aren't 100% locks to be top-2 defensemen. Geez, get off your high horse. That same sentence could be applied to every single team who's rebuilding right now. I'm not attacking Anaheim.

Old
12-05-2012, 06:17 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
I don't see the point in continuing to argue about Petry/Sbisa, but as for the latter, I'm just saying that Beauchemin is an older guy, and by the time the Ducks are ready to compete again, he'll be even older, and that at the same time your prospects aren't 100% locks to be top-2 defensemen. Geez, get off your high horse. That same sentence could be applied to every single team who's rebuilding right now. I'm not attacking Anaheim.
Who said anything about them being locks to be top 2? You keep framing this as us wanting to rely entirely on prospects. Who is doing that? Our team sure as hell isn't. There are currently no openings for a defenseman to be promoted to if we wanted to do that.

Exit Dose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 08:34 PM
Gliff
Wild Bill

"Sbisa is just a prospect, Petry is a young, top-4 blue-liner with size, speed, and strong two-way play"

Clear example of why these boards are a joke.

Gliff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 08:53 PM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
I understand the rest of the post, but that last bit is utter ********. Getzlaf would be perfect behind RNH. Petry is a sold 2nd pairing guy, but with all the studly defense prospects Oilers fans tell me about, Petry's absence shouldn't be felt at all.
Not to mention all that star power is bound to entice good UFAs. Petry may be a good prospect coming into his own but he can be replaced far easier than what Getzlaf would bring.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 09:03 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
To Oilers
Ryan Getzlaf
Ryane Clowe

To Ducks
Joe Pavelski
Sam Gagner
Jeff Petry
2013 1st round pick Oilers
2014 1st round pick Oilers

To Sharks
Corey Perry
Hey look the Oilers get a 1st line C and another really good player without giving up any of the players other teams would actually want.

Didn't have to look at the OP's name to know which team he was a fan of.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote