HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lockout Thread #3: The Rollercoaster Continues...

View Poll Results: When will the lockout end?
December 15-31st,2012 6 19.35%
January 2013 13 41.94%
September 2013 6 19.35%
October 2013-December 2013 2 6.45%
January 2014 0 0%
September 2014 0 0%
October 2014-January 2015 0 0%
NHL is gone forever 4 12.90%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
12-04-2012, 10:14 PM
RipsADrive
Draft Dynasty

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Hopefully Bettman and Fehr get stuck in traffic on the way to the meeting for... ever. We need a couple tire iron wielding hoodlums to pull a Nancy Kerrigan on those 2 and let the owners and players seal the deal.

Both their egos will point out flaws in any headway that has been made and they'll be back at square one again.
Next best thing.

@JSportsnet: DFehr and GBettman are not in the latest Player-Owner meeting. It has just begun

Looks like both guys were just talking with their own guys and still won't be part of the bigger meeting yet.

Old
12-04-2012, 10:19 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 402 View Post
http://www.tsn.ca/
Right there top left corner, this presser would likely happen even if there was no lockout Bettman has press conferences after BoG meetings in terms of bad news not sure whats meant by that the season will not be cancelled tomorrow
TSN will stream the conference live at 1 pm ET so 11 am MT

To those saying the seasons is as good as cancelled. Well all early indications from todays talks, which are not over yet, are positive
@aaronward_nhl: All indications are that they are going to meet again. If not tonight,then tomorrow.Positive feedback so far. #TSN
@KatieStrangESPN: #CBA General sense at the moment is one of cautious optimism. First time in quite awhile for that...
@aaronward_nhl: Hearing both sides discussed further means of 'giving'. Both are encouraged by the discussions so far. #TSN
Thanks for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipsADrive View Post
Francois Gagnon ‏@GagnonFrancois
Les discussions reprennent après une pause pour le souper. C'est encourageant. Bettman et Fehr se joignent au groupe. Ça bouge pour vrai...

Bettman and Fehr join the meetings. Here's where things usually turn ugly again.

(Translation: Discussions resume after a break for supper. It's encouraging. Bettman and Fehr are joining the group. Things are really moving...)
According to Rishaug

Quote:
Ryan Rishaug ‏@TSNRyanRishaug

No Bettman or Fehr in meeting.
That's good news imo. The less they are involved the better.

Old
12-04-2012, 10:26 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Them being in the building is very good news though. It smells like a "this could be finalized" gesture. Fehr and Bettman still have all important recommendation to their constituents.

Old
12-04-2012, 10:44 PM
#ualberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
Them being in the building is very good news though. It smells like a "this could be finalized" gesture. Fehr and Bettman still have all important recommendation to their constituents.
Great point!

Keep in mind it's almost 11 pm in NYC definetly encouraging to see the meeting go this late into the night

Still though cautious optimism…for now

Old
12-04-2012, 10:44 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
I'm pretty sure his original plan involved playing hockey in October, not waiting until December to plan a meeting without himself and Don there.

I'm not convinced. He had to know with MLB's experience with Fehr that it wasn't going to be easy.

Old
12-04-2012, 10:46 PM
AM

There are two ways to interpret this move.

Fehr and Bettman are out of ideas and have given up.

or

A deal is already done and they are trying to heap all of the negative lockout feeling onto the figure heads and make the players and owners look like saviours.

If they dont have a deal within the week there wont be any hockey this year.

Old
12-04-2012, 10:59 PM
nullterm

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullterm View Post
The only way this makes sense is if they have sorted out an agreement, but want to make the owners & players look like the heroes for saving the season just before Christmas so fans come back cheering their names instead of griping how they are greedy jerkholes.

At the end of the day, no one cares how much Bettman and Fehr are hated as it doesn't affect business. So if they walk away as the scapegoats and villains 100% responsible for the lockout, then they don't care. They still get paid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AM View Post
or

A deal is already done and they are trying to heap all of the negative lockout feeling onto the figure heads and make the players and owners look like saviours.
Just sayin. I'm with ya there.

Old
12-04-2012, 11:07 PM
Lay Z Boy GM

Hopefully the players and the owners can actually get a deal done, and just get Fehr and Bettmen in to sign their names. The players and the owners lose in a lockout, Bettman and Fehr get to have their ugly mugs all over TSN. Keep them out and come together to get it done, please.

Old
12-05-2012, 12:20 AM
#ualberta

Meeting over for the night they are meeting again tomorrow before the BoG around 9 am ET same group
Daly and S.fehr having a JOINT press conference

Definetly reason to be encouraged however i advise cautious optimism these talks could still break off

@TSNBobMcKenzie: Steve Fehr: "constructive day, best day we've had but still work to be done."

@Real_ESPNLeBrun: Sources on both sides cautious but say there was traction today... Still a fragile situation but it's clear today was a good day

Last edited by 402: 12-05-2012 at 01:09 AM. Reason: Correcting details
Old
12-05-2012, 12:31 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Here's a transcript of their progress today.

Quote:
"Pizza or Chinese?"

"So we're in agreement then. Chinese it is."

Old
12-05-2012, 12:47 AM
syz
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman will address the media on Wednesday at about 1pm et/10am pt following the league's Board of Governors meeting in New York, where it is expected he will announce that Christmas has been canceled.

Old
12-05-2012, 12:48 AM
RipsADrive
Draft Dynasty

Hopefully they keep up the momentum.

I wonder if they'll allow Gary and Fehr back in the room tomorrow. It's been said a lot leading up to now but I legitimately think tomorrow is the make or break day. If things go well we'll get a deal but if they don't the season is done.

Old
12-05-2012, 02:13 AM
AK Dandyman

Looks like it's going to be a make or break day tomorrow.

This is the first time since the lockout started I have my hope up.

Old
12-05-2012, 03:05 AM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
NHL commissioner Gary Bettman will address the media on Wednesday at about 1pm et/10am pt following the league's Board of Governors meeting in New York, where it is expected he will announce that Christmas has been canceled.
I eagerly await Fox New's next installment of "The War on Christmas" when they cover the NHL canceling everyone's favorite holiday.

"The NHL lockout is not about money, it's about philosophy"

Old
12-05-2012, 09:48 AM
Mr Sakich

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM View Post
There are two ways to interpret this move.

Fehr and Bettman are out of ideas and have given up.

another possibility is that they both have enough humility to realize the process might be better without them. The simple truth is that Bettman is a very hard negotiator. NObody thought the players won last time, it was a knockout by Bettman.

IN response, the players got their own heavyweight in Fehr. He is just as willing to engage in a long battle to get his way. He was the strongest person available.

Maybe Fehr and Bettman realized that thier involvement would hinder the process at this particular point in time. The owners and players paid big money for these two guys and they got exactly what they wanted. Now , maybe they want to see if a softer approach mighwork.

Old
12-05-2012, 09:58 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
another possibility is that they both have enough humility to realize the process might be better without them. The simple truth is that Bettman is a very hard negotiator. NObody thought the players won last time, it was a knockout by Bettman.

IN response, the players got their own heavyweight in Fehr. He is just as willing to engage in a long battle to get his way. He was the strongest person available.

Maybe Fehr and Bettman realized that thier involvement would hinder the process at this particular point in time. The owners and players paid big money for these two guys and they got exactly what they wanted. Now , maybe they want to see if a softer approach mighwork.
They're lightning rods, particularly Bettman who receives nothing but venom from the players. Let's be real here, they may not be involved in the room but when talks break off, their views and opinions are being heard and likely engineer what kind of discussion is going to take place next. They're coaches now, not players, and they'll decide on what occurs.

If the owners are willing to change their stance on contract rights, and the players are willing to drop their asks in Make Whole, I think the rest of this could fall into place in hours.

Old
12-05-2012, 10:30 AM
fuswald
I'd Be Fired

Quote:
Here Here. Blame it all on Ebenezer Scrooge and Jacob Marley. Christmas is cancelled at homes of the NHLers who will never play again because of this lockout.
http://oilersnation.com/2012/10/10/random-thoughts-5

Last edited by fuswald: 12-05-2012 at 10:37 AM.
Old
12-05-2012, 11:34 AM
waffen

lots happening back East.. I'm getting tingle(y)...

Old
12-05-2012, 11:57 AM
#ualberta

@reporterchris: The NHL and NHLPA have requested an adjournement of tomorrow's Quebec Labour Board hearing. They're awaiting a decision..

GB may not address the media after the board meeting as was previously thought
The two sides will resume talks after the board meeting it could go late into the night today is a pivotal day
It's now or never

Old
12-05-2012, 12:21 PM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

vCash: 145
I feel like we are watching a pitcher pitching a perfect game right now.

Nobody jinx this thing.

Old
12-05-2012, 12:38 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by devils4cup View Post

Nobody jinx this thing.
Is that after giving up 12 hits in 2 innings of work the game before?

Old
12-05-2012, 12:45 PM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

vCash: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Is that after giving up 12 hits in 2 innings of work the game before?
I think he took a line drive in the face

Old
12-05-2012, 01:52 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by devils4cup View Post

Nobody jinx this thing.
Far from it.

To continue with your baseball analogy, I don't think they've even started the game yet.

I'm guessing the discussion between the players and owners is about the establishment of trust. One of the biggest problems was that the players did not trust hardline owners, nor Gary Bettman about the money woes.

This meeting is about establishing trust that NHL teams are really in financial difficulty and need the clawback on players salaries. Otherwise, the players won't see why they have to give up bargaining rights for so little in return. Unless either

a) the owners have more to give up in return for players bargaining rights (i.e. RFA rights, UFA years, contract restrictions, revenue split, revenue sharing)

b) or convince players that NHL teams are in danger of folding if a more profitable CBA is not established.

Old
12-05-2012, 02:14 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...-kypreos-says/

I would be elated. Fingers crossed...

Old
12-05-2012, 02:17 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
I think the second reason could lend some credibilty to that Boston reporters story on Monday.

Closed Thread