HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Easton Art of Scoring Videos w/ Scott Bjugstad

Old
12-05-2012, 11:40 AM
Casey44

vCash: 500
after watching these videos i wondered if i could apply any of it to my slapshot and i basically just began lining the puck up much closer to the toe of my stick than i previously had and what a huge difference. id say 7 out of 10 shots went right under the crossbar with a lot more power

Casey44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 02:43 PM
uncleodb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey44 View Post
after watching these videos i wondered if i could apply any of it to my slapshot and i basically just began lining the puck up much closer to the toe of my stick than i previously had and what a huge difference. id say 7 out of 10 shots went right under the crossbar with a lot more power
Say wha? Your getting it to work on your slapper? I haven't tried that yet. Only tried with the snapper. Glad it's working for you.

uncleodb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 03:15 PM
ponder

Interesting video. I generally shoot from mid blade, or even mid-heel, but I'll give this a shot.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 10:55 PM
wiontaur

here's one that Base hockey posted. Interesting thing about lining up the arm and stick.

Last edited by wiontaur: 12-05-2012 at 10:57 PM. Reason: trying to embed youtube
wiontaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 11:13 PM
Joey Moss
Thanks Smytty!

vCash: 226
I don't get the comments saying you have to have the right curve to do this.. I have been shooting like this for years and have always had a good shot no matter what curve I use. Toews, Datsyuk, PM9, Crosby, Sakic, Drury (yes a heel curve). I've used them all, have never changed how I shot and have always had results. Obviously it takes some time to get used to different curves but it's not like there's a specific kind of curve you need to do it. Everything that Scott Bjugstad said in the video is perfect. Trust me, I can relate to the way he was teaching it.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 12:26 AM
superhakan
Gaudreauby Baker

vCash: 50
Same. That is the only way I shoot. I haven't used a wrist shot in god knows when. (I think I forgot how to use one.

I can pretty much shoot like this with any curve.

superhakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 11:09 AM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by superhakan View Post
Same. That is the only way I shoot. I haven't used a wrist shot in god knows when. (I think I forgot how to use one.

I can pretty much shoot like this with any curve.
I think most people take snap shots more or less exclusively now. The interesting thing about this video isn't that he's advocating snap shots, it's that he's advocating shooting off the toe, with the puck drawn in close to the body, and with the heel of the blade off the ice. I know I was always taught to shoot from mid blade, this video advocates a different technique than what most of us have learned, which is what makes it interesting.

Old
12-13-2012, 11:35 AM
JR97

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
I think most people take snap shots more or less exclusively now. The interesting thing about this video isn't that he's advocating snap shots, it's that he's advocating shooting off the toe, with the puck drawn in close to the body, and with the heel of the blade off the ice. I know I was always taught to shoot from mid blade, this video advocates a different technique than what most of us have learned, which is what makes it interesting.
Diff situations obviously call for diff techniques which is why I found it interesting. Like most people, I was a heel to toe shooter but only if I had time to either sweep the puck back or skate a little ahead of the puck. It's good to see the toe technique for those times you need to bring the puck in closer to the body.

JR97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 12:24 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I feel like just about any shot will need at least a bit of puck roll along the blade. Not the full length of the blade, but at least some contact that puts spin on the puck, otherwise you're going to have a "knuckler".

When the puck is in tight to the body, you'll naturally be more on the toe of the blade, hence why you're shooting more from the toe. From far away, you'd be more on the heel of the blade, but you won't get any lean on the stick and lose power. The harder shots tend to be from closer to the body therefore closer to the toe.

It would be a good idea to practice all kinds of shots...trying to shoot with the puck far away, shoot with the puck from the feet, and anywhere in between, just like you'd practice stickhandling from all distances. In a game situation, you might not get the perfect setup and have to try and whack a puck in from 6' away.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 01:10 PM
ponder

If you watch this video closely:

You'll see that Cammalleri is shooting with this technique. Pulls the puck in close, loads up with the front half of the blade on the ice, and the heel off the ice. Just playing around at home, I can definitely get a lot more flex by shooting with the puck a bit closer to my body than I normally would.

I think a deep ankle/knee/waist bend is extra-important with this technique, and with the puck in so close to your body you're probably going to want a relatively short stick (in skates, more of a adam's apple height than a nose height). Also explains why so many NHLers seem to use that "tape only the toe half of the blade" tape job. Tape is useful for getting a little extra friction/flex against the ice when you're shooting, if you were shooting with pressure on the heel then no tape on the heel would suck, but if you're shooting with pressure on the toe half of your blade then it wouldn't matter.

Last edited by ponder: 12-15-2012 at 01:18 PM.
Old
12-19-2012, 09:15 PM
ponder

Went to my first stick and puck in awhile recently, and figured it was a good time to really try out this technique. Long story short, I really liked it. For me it's basically shooting as I did before, but with the puck about a foot closer to my body during the loading phase, the puck a bit closer to the toe, and with an emphasis on really getting over the stick/puck and getting my weight on the toe half of the stick. What was really important for me was to make sure I didn't go overboard, with stick up on the tip of the toe and the heel way in the air, but to have the whole toe half of the blade on the ice, and the heel only the tiniest bit off the ice.

The main benefit was easier stick loading. When you load with the puck further away from you, with pressure on the mid-heel, it sometimes feel like your stick slides a bit too easily, and you don't really load it up properly. With this technique you can really load it up huge. The shot isn't game read/second nature for me yet, but I feel like I should be able to get there in just a few more stick and pucks. I don't think it's just a situational shot to get around defenders, I think shooting from the mid-toe, with the puck close to your body and the pressure on the mid-toe area could be the best way to shoot snap shots in general.

You can see that Kovalev uses this technique too, and he has one of the hardest wrist/snap shots ever: