HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Portland Winterhawks investigation

Old
12-01-2012, 06:40 PM
ponder

vCash: 500
Extremely heavy penalties, I have to assume that the infractions are a little more serious than Portland are trying to make them seem. At the same time, I do agree with some of this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
As a Spitfire fan I can shed a little light onto how things are going to play out based on how the Spitfires were treated. This looks very similar to their situation. Initially the league nailed the Spitfires with an absolutely stunning penalty of future draft picks and cash. 3 1st rounders, 2 second rounders and 400,000 in cold hard cash. After letting that sink in for a while, the league came back with an option that would give Windsor a first round pick back, space out the penalty picks to future years, and lower the fine to 250,000 dollars. Of course they would have to drop the appeal, admit guilt and never speak of it ever again. That is what Windsor ultimately did. There are absolutely zero details from the league or team about what the violations actually were, and we probably will never know for sure.

In my opinion the WHL is just following the OHL's lead here. They'll announce a massive initial penalty to scare Portland into quietly accepting a less harsh deal later on. I think the leagues are happy to lure the best talent in the world and take advantage of that when possible, but Portland and Windsor have been fed to the Wolves for the sake of giving the illusion of integrity. The CHL has always looked the other way on these things, the London Knights once hired a prospects dad as an assistant coach to get him to report after taking him with a late pick. These sorts of things have happened for years, with the league quietly looking the other way. It's no coincidence that Windsor and Portland are both organizations that can afford such a penalty, making it obvious to all why only they are persecuted when others clearly do the same and have for years. It's a sham, I feel for you Portland fans. Branch is a clown.
Won't be surprised to see them back off with the punishment as long as Portland agrees to just take it and not fight, and I do think they're trying to make an example out of Portland, despite many teams participating in similarly questionable recruiting.

Last edited by ponder: 12-01-2012 at 06:46 PM.
ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 06:56 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
And in college you have much more time working on your weaknesses.

It's closer than you think.
NCAA is good for players who need to put on muscle and have glaring weaknesses. But the top end players will choose CHL because the they have minor weaknesses they need to address and are generally ready by age 19-20.

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 07:55 PM
shello
@WShello9

Can we not turn this into a CHL vs NCAA thread please, we already know that we should have a sticked thread for it
On Portland however like Ponder said it wouldn't surprise if if they don't retaliate and accept it, it's what they should do and might get some of the punishment cleared up.
CHL is better ; )

shello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 06:45 AM
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinnishKulemin View Post
Everett, everyone else and there mother knew Jones wouldn't come to the WHL to play on a bad team. Portland took a chance knowing that they probably had one of the better chances in the league to get him. It happens all the time, just in different ways. Domi going to the Knights. Nathan MacKinnon even.

Portland released the apparent infractions.

Flights for players families that had financial need, paying for training programs for a few players, a cell phone for the Captain for three seasons.

I'm not sure I take it at face value, especially considering the severeness of the penalty. The CHL is definitely trying to make an example of them, but I can't imagine it's only for the reasons above.

Portland has had some pretty good scouting, that shouldn't be taken away from them. But some incidents that could be ones that were under investigation. Oliver Bjorkstrand is one.

I remember this summer when Portland picked Oliver, both he and his father whom was also his coach in Denmark, said that Portland had wasted a pick on him. And that there was NO WAY he was leaving Herning, and Denmark.

His father is known as a very stricht man

Then all of a sudden and out of the blue, and also close to pre season, he decided to go.

All that was said to the media was, that Oliver and I decided that a move to NA would be better for his Draft position...

It all seemed very weird as everybody in Denmark thought Oliver was staying. Oliver along with his big brother Patrick and another young danish Draftee Thomas Spelling (NY Rangers) were Hernings Baby line last season. They played on the second line and were a huuge contributor to Herning winning the Champiosnhip.

Check out Hernings player statistics for last season STATS

Notice all three in top 6 scoring.

This year Herning are not doing well and Todd knew this was going to happen.. That is also why it was so weird that he was going all of a sudden.. Patrick was lost to Sweden as was Thomas Spelling.

So when Oliver then all of a sudden announced he was leaving, nobody could make sense of the first 20 statements they made about him not leaving..

Last edited by ImGoingNucks: 12-04-2012 at 06:56 AM.
ImGoingNucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 12:37 PM
JetsHomer

vCash: 50
Not saying something fishy didn't happen, buts it not really that unusual for a 17 year old to change their mind about something

JetsHomer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 04:05 PM
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
Not saying something fishy didn't happen, buts it not really that unusual for a 17 year old to change their mind about something
Trust me, Oliver did not change his mind.. His father did! Daddy knows best in this case....

ImGoingNucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 08:08 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

It was the right move.. But yes it's an odd change.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 09:18 PM
Joe Hallenback

Apparently Quentin Shore is heading to Portland

Joe Hallenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 09:26 PM
shello
@WShello9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
I find that hilarious considering what just happened but happy too being a Portland supporter.

shello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 09:26 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
Wow.

Crazy.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 09:33 PM
Skinnyjimmy08

Well played Portland...... after all these rumors of this and that, they recruit yet another NCAA player... tryin to show everyone they are doing it fair and square and stickin it to everyone!hahah.... I loved to see them finally get caught, but i applaud them for doing this!!.... well played!

Skinnyjimmy08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 09:35 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

And the WHL gets slapped in the face.

Old
12-04-2012, 09:51 PM
William H Bonney

Surprised he's leaving Denver, especially since his brother is on the team. Good get for Portland.

William H Bonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 09:51 PM
Fast Tony DeNiro

I would love to see Shore, Grimaldi, Brian Cooper, and Destry Straight to all leave college and join Portland in the same day. Just because.

Fast Tony DeNiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 09:30 AM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Tony DeNiro View Post
I would love to see Shore, Grimaldi, Brian Cooper, and Destry Straight to all leave college and join Portland in the same day. Just because.
That would make them the deepest CHL team ever assembled..

Old
12-05-2012, 12:08 PM
puckfan13

Portland is trolling the WHL

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 12:36 PM
ThatGuy22

Mike Chambers of the Denver Post is saying that itis highly like that it is just a Rumor and he has calls into Coach Gwoz and Papa Shore to confirm.

ThatGuy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 01:32 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy22 View Post
Mike Chambers of the Denver Post is saying that itis highly like that it is just a Rumor and he has calls into Coach Gwoz and Papa Shore to confirm.
Chambers is basically garbage. He might be right about this, but he's in his first year as our "other" hockey writer and has done a pretty poor job so far. Overall this would be pretty shocking if Q did leave Denver considering all his brothers play(ed) for the organization and having a decent freshman year. .

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote