HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Around the League 2012-12 I: Gary and Donald sitting in a tree

Old
12-01-2012, 09:38 PM
Kloparren
Hth

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
NBC is paying $200M this year for absolutely nothing, and an extra year is getting tacked onto the deal at no charge.
That doesn't sound right, an extra year gets tacked on if it's lost but NBC gets paid that year what they're supposedly owed now. I dunno if interest is added on or the value is adjusted due to currency values then compared to now. If inflation continues by then then obviously $200 M right now for example is worth more than it is 11 yrs from now. Actually no that's wrong too. NBC gets a free year during that 11th season, not the NHL getting a free year. So that means that the NHL will get no US TV revenue that season from my understanding but their games will be broadcast on NBC. So it's basically Bettman pushing down the problem to future Commisioner who's gonna be short of some revenue that season.

Anyone see the Koci vs Valabik fight in the KHL? Fairly good, two big players.

Kloparren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 09:40 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
I finally found out why Petry is so good. Sutton said he turned into one of the best two-day defenders he's watched during that Oil Change tv show.

Lonewolfe2015 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 02:07 PM
Foppa2118

vCash: 50
Haha, the NHLPA requested a staff member from each side be present for the players-owners meeting, so Bettman sends the leagues #2 guy Bill Daily. What a joke. Really shows whether Bettman is more interested in saving the season, or crushing the PA again.

The players had not decided who to send from their side at the time of the report. They'll probably send Fehr's brother now which will make it essentially the same kind of meeting they've had five or six times.

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 02:17 PM
Lonewolfe2015

Makes sense imo.

When you bring a supplier into a meeting to discuss the products they are trying to sell you, you don't put the Janitor and Cook in the room as your company's representatives to answer questions about how their product will pertain to your company and how responsive you'll be to their terms.

Old
12-04-2012, 03:11 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
Makes sense imo.

When you bring a supplier into a meeting to discuss the products they are trying to sell you, you don't put the Janitor and Cook in the room as your company's representatives to answer questions about how their product will pertain to your company and how responsive you'll be to their terms.
How does that make sense? The players are completely out of their element talking and possibly negotiating with the owners as it is. Now he sends in the leagues #2 guy, when he sold the idea as a metting without the leadership present.

There's zero interest in trying to be fair, and make a legit effort to save the season. He's got a bunch of children in a room full of wolves. Right where he wanted them.

Old
12-04-2012, 03:54 PM
Bubba Thudd
Come At Me, Bro!

But the children outnumber the wolves 3-1.

Bubba Thudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 06:19 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
But the children outnumber the wolves 3-1.
There could be all 700 of the children in that room and the wolves would eat them alive.

Old
12-04-2012, 06:27 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
There could be all 700 of the children in that room and the wolves would eat them alive.
Not when those spoiled brats can drive away in their Lamborghini Gallardo and not a Lamborghini Aventador, which they're all crying about.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 12:42 AM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 202
Another clutch performance by the best player in the league?

Apparently Crosby and the Pens owner have been talking for weeks and they were both a big part of the meeting tonight.

I won't get my hopes up yet but it sounds like progress is being made.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 05:30 AM
Qurpiz
Ihanaa Saatana!

vCash: 735
Anyone know if the Avs are one of the hard-lining teams, or not?

Haven't seen anyone involved with the Avs to do anything in this lockout, do Kroenkes even know there is a lockout?

Qurpiz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 07:10 AM
Lonewolfe2015

Quote:
How does that make sense? The players are completely out of their element talking and possibly negotiating with the owners as it is. Now he sends in the leagues #2 guy, when he sold the idea as a metting without the leadership present.

There's zero interest in trying to be fair, and make a legit effort to save the season. He's got a bunch of children in a room full of wolves. Right where he wanted them.
I know you're passionate about the lockout, but think of it from a business standpoint. You've got a bunch of people that don't know the other side's point of view in a room being updated on the labor strike. They have questions that the NHLPA cannot always answer or need the league's clarification on their stance.

Enter NHL rep Bill Daly that is privvy to all discussions and can clarify what the league has been saying if needed. The rest of the time he is quietly present to help keep the bridges on both sides of the discussion open.

This isn't a war, I'm sure both sides will return to work just fine afterwards when they start seeing their checks coming in.

Old
12-05-2012, 07:26 AM
Ceremony
Why Not Us?

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qurpiz View Post
Anyone know if the Avs are one of the hard-lining teams, or not?

Haven't seen anyone involved with the Avs to do anything in this lockout, do Kroenkes even know there is a lockout?
In an article from... someone a couple of months ago he listed teams that he assumed weren't hardliners, I'll try and find it. I personally don't think so though, what do we gain? We're a profit-making team who have a very young roster who need to play together to develop properly, we need to be playing.

Speaking of Avs and the lockout, is anyone concerned that no Avs players have been at any of these meetings?

ďItís embarrassing. Iím embarrassed to be here right now. Itís not even funny. And itís just embarrassing, the way we, you know, the energy we have in the room and the way we approach practices and the way we approach this game. Itís not how youíre going to win any games in this league." - Jean-Sebastien Giguere, April 8 2013
Ceremony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 07:33 AM
Ceremony
Why Not Us?

Aha! http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...-refrains.html

The commish has three groups of owners: the ones who want to play; the ones in the middle, including Tampa and Nashville, who want a better collective bargaining agreement but recognize not playing is worse; and the hardliners. It would be a mistake to underestimate the last group. There are several who would rather cancel the season than accept a bad deal because they are hemorrhaging money and need immediate satisfaction.

While the players believe Boston Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs is calling the shots, an educated guess at the final group includes but may not be limited to Anaheim, Columbus, Florida, the Islanders, Phoenix, St. Louis, Washington and Dallas -- enough to block any agreement from getting done (It's tough to lock it down because owners are forbidden to discuss this stuff. Attempts to talk to a couple were politely shot down).

This group is the biggest challenge for both the commissioner and the players.

Old
12-05-2012, 08:37 AM
klozge
Avs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post
In an article from... someone a couple of months ago he listed teams that he assumed weren't hardliners, I'll try and find it. I personally don't think so though, what do we gain? We're a profit-making team who have a very young roster who need to play together to develop properly, we need to be playing.

Speaking of Avs and the lockout, is anyone concerned that no Avs players have been at any of these meetings?
I'm glad they haven't. I'm also glad that they (but Giguere and PAP, I think) haven't tweeted about the whole crap.

klozge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 11:43 AM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
I know you're passionate about the lockout, but think of it from a business standpoint. You've got a bunch of people that don't know the other side's point of view in a room being updated on the labor strike. They have questions that the NHLPA cannot always answer or need the league's clarification on their stance.

Enter NHL rep Bill Daly that is privvy to all discussions and can clarify what the league has been saying if needed. The rest of the time he is quietly present to help keep the bridges on both sides of the discussion open.

This isn't a war, I'm sure both sides will return to work just fine afterwards when they start seeing their checks coming in.
The idea that the players weren't getting all the information, or didn't know exactly what was going on was a tactic to divide the players from the leadership. The same way the PA tried to divide the owners from Bettman.

If either side doesn't know what the others POV, or stance is three months into the lockout, then they need to remove themselves from the process because they're idiots. The only purpose any meeting has is for one or both sides to move in the other's direction on something to get closer to a deal.

If they want to paint it in a way that new voices are being heard, so they can save face when they cave on what they've been holding onto as a group that's fine, but everyone knows where the other side stands.

The problem that I've been stating is that Bettman hasn't put the PA in a position to say yes to anything, because they haven't offered them anything. It's a retarded tactic, unless your goal is to win big and think you can weather another lockout because the diehard fans of the Leafs, Rangers, and Canadians will be back no matter what and account for 83% of the leagues revenue.

Henrik Sedin put the players POV into a clear perspective when he said, "I want to hear a change, that they're actually going to give us something in return for the things we've given them." It's painfully clear they're ready to make a deal they just want the league to give them something in exchange for moving in the owners direction on every other issue. You can't expect to make a deal if you don't do that, and the league has never offered them anything from day one. It's insane.

Old
12-05-2012, 12:53 PM
Ivan13
Problem child

Quote:

Downie?

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 01:07 PM
Ceremony
Why Not Us?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
Downie?
Has he? I might have just missed one one time but I don't remember seeing any Avs names on the lists of players.

Old
12-05-2012, 02:51 PM
Ivan13
Problem child

Quote:
Has he? I might have just missed one one time but I don't remember seeing any Avs names on the lists of players.
I know he's been highly involved in the negotiating process, but I'm not sure if he attended some of the meetings.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 06:07 PM
The Shermanator
Lawn Chair Season

vCash: 150
Rumours of a 56 game season starting December 15th.... probably crap.

The Shermanator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 06:14 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
I know he's been highly involved in the negotiating process, but I'm not sure if he attended some of the meetings.
I am very sure he was at one of the meetings in September.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shermanator View Post
Rumours of a 56 game season starting December 15th.... probably crap.
The rumour I'm hearing is 50-60 game season starting around or after Christmas.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 07:21 PM
Foppa2118

Uh oh, Winnik was one of the 18 players in the meetings. That doesn't bode well for negotiations.

Old
12-06-2012, 03:00 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
Our wish for Avs players to largely stay out of the Twitter squabbling has come to an end.

First AD asked this

Quote:
adater ‏@adater
First, Don Fehr wanted mediators. Then he took himself out of room. Now wants mediators again. His job description is what again?
https://twitter.com/adater/status/276784475898269697

Then PaP responded with this

Quote:
P-A Parenteau ‏@PAParenteau
@adater his job is to get a fair deal for us...hes doing a hell of a job btw
https://twitter.com/PAParenteau/stat...85691126550529

And then followed up with this gem

Quote:
P-A Parenteau ‏@PAParenteau
If their is no hockey right now it has nothing to do with Don Fehr... Bettman had a date in mind a year ago.
https://twitter.com/PAParenteau/stat...89307266703360

RockLobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 03:26 PM
Kloparren
Hth

Meh that's fine, could be worst. Dater was the one stirring it more by questioning what Fehr's job is.

I'm guessing the mediators are being asked to be brought in to prevent an owner such as You-Know-Who from trying to bully or lecture players.

Kloparren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 03:34 PM
Freudian
luck paper scissors

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
Meh that's fine, could be worst. Dater was the one stirring it more by questioning what Fehr's job is.

I'm guessing the mediators are being asked to be brought in to prevent an owner such as You-Know-Who from trying to bully or lecture players.
How are the players being bullied when the owners are the only ones who have moved on their position in these owner-player meetings?

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 03:40 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 202
Quote:
@TSNBobMcKenzie: What NHLPA definitely won't like about NHL offer: 5 year term limit on contracts (except 7 for own UFAs).

@TSNBobMcKenzie: BTW, some have asked, just to clarify, ability to sign your own free agents to 7 year contracts would apply to both UFAs and RFAs.
I like it. No more ridiculous contracts being given out in free agency and it gives players a reason to stay with their original team. Sounds like it won't be happening though.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote