HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Phoenix LXVI: Get Your Kicks On Thread LXVI

Closed Thread

Old
12-04-2012, 07:32 PM
ajmidd12
Know-It-All

vCash: 204
Workshop over?

Old
12-04-2012, 11:19 PM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 1989
Can't wait for CF"s usual excellent breakdown of the malfease that was unearthed at the latest council of ineptitude meeting (workshop) at Glendale City Hall.

Old
12-05-2012, 07:20 AM
OthmarAmmann
Money making machine

vCash: 500
Here is my synopsis:

I arrived home late and rushed to launch the stream. Computer takes its sweet ass time.

The stream launches just for me to hear the mayor state something to the effect that it was a depressing day and then adjourn the meeting. I may have to squeeze this into my weekend.

Old
12-05-2012, 07:31 AM
GuelphStormer

i have a feeling joyce will be able to handle herself in jail. im not worried. she'll be fine. beasely is kinda pretty though. im worried for him.

Old
12-05-2012, 08:08 AM
powerstuck
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuelphStormer View Post
i have a feeling joyce will be able to handle herself in jail. im not worried. she'll be fine. beasely is kinda pretty though. im worried for him.
Superman, I mean Doan will come and save her !

Old
12-05-2012, 08:59 AM
Whileee

I didn't watch the workshop but the reports that Clark is keen to "look forward" and not "dwell on the past" seems a bit self-serving for a council member that is leaving imminently, leaving the carnage behind her.

Is there really any surprise that a small city of 250,000 is running into financial difficulties, after investing huge amounts in sports facilities and reaping almost no financial return? Piled on top of that, they just shoveled out another $50 million to cover the losses of a professional sports team over two years, and have now committed over $300 million to subsidize a sports team for the next 20 years. Something has to give. It seems that Beasley's approach was to rummage through various trust funds to pay the ongoing costs. Now, the wave is crashing on the shore and there are going to be some very tough decisions going forward. Luckily for her, Clark won't be around to deal with the fall-out. I wonder how often in the future we'll see the finger pointed at Knaack and Martinez for helping them get into this mess.

Old
12-05-2012, 10:03 AM
CasualFan
Tortious Beadicus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
Can't wait for CF"s usual excellent breakdown of the malfease that was unearthed at the latest council of ineptitude meeting (workshop) at Glendale City Hall.
I just don't have the time to watch it. Happy holidays, enjoy the visionaries in action

Old
12-05-2012, 10:06 AM
GuelphStormer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualFan View Post
I just don't have the time to watch it. Happy holidays, enjoy the visionaries in action

booooooo.

Old
12-05-2012, 12:30 PM
rj

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualFan View Post
Aa3 and on the way to junk status.

Tomorrow, the Council of Dunces is going to deal with the next most immediate crisis: Arizona Industrial Commission works on a calendar year, not a fiscal year ending in June. Workers Comp Trust Fund and Risk Management Trust Fund must be at 55% confidence level by Dec 31, 2012.

Good News: Risk Management TF was at 90% confidence when staff stole made questionable transfers. They can skate until next FY with just a $489k adjustment.
Bad News: Workers Comp TF was not at 90% when they stole transferred from it. Departments have to come up with $1.4MM in the next 3 weeks. Good luck with that.

Approving the JIG subsidy in the face of Moody's telling them they'll be downgraded if they continue to provide irrational financial support to the team while ignoring the Industrial Commissions calendar year mandate is just another reason Glendale is so special.
Well, it all tells me the American economy finally topped out (that and getting laid off a couple weeks ago ). Spending money for the sake of spending money with no care on how it is being spent has caught up to governments globally, be they in Spain or in Glendale, Arizona.

We'll know it's bad when Coyotes fans call on the Mexican government to nationalize them to save the team.

Old
12-05-2012, 01:03 PM
CGG

Sonu Munshi article on Moody's downgrade of Glendale here:

http://www.azcentral.com/community/g...g-lowered.html

Choice craziness from the article:

Quote:
Glendale spokeswoman Julie Frisoni said the rating will affect the interest rate the city can secure in the bond market but “the market is to our advantage right now and the projected savings is still expected.”

Old
12-05-2012, 01:09 PM
Wonko the Sane
It's you not me.

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGG View Post

Hooray for succeeding in spite of ourselves! (note: your definition of succeed may vary from the CoG's)

Old
12-05-2012, 01:15 PM
cbcwpg

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGG View Post

Glendale still owes $152 million of the $180 million it borrowed to open Jobing.com Arena in 2003. An additional $200 million is owed on Camelback Ranch Glendale, the city’s spring-training ballpark, as payments so far have only covered interest. Glendale staff has predicted the city could save about $28 million by refinancing a portion of its $1.1 billion debt load, easing the way out of a financial landmine. .

So far the CoG has only paid down $28M on the arena, only interest for Camelback ranch, and have a $1.1B debt load..... Sure sounds like a good idea to give Jamison $308M.

Old
12-05-2012, 01:58 PM
GF

Can someone explain to me how they can save 28m$ by refinancing 1.1b$ of their debt now, with a lower credit rating???

Old
12-05-2012, 02:07 PM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by GF View Post
Can someone explain to me how they can save 28m$ by refinancing 1.1b$ of their debt now, with a lower credit rating???
"Clarkonomics".

The more relevant question would be how much better the financial scenario would be if they didn't have the recent downgrade, attributed in large part directly to the Coyotes' support. Remember, Skeete first presented a scenario that indicated that the COG would save millions in debt restructuring with the team, compared to without. He then went to a more "neutral" position of projecting that the presence of the Jamison lease would have no impact on the debt restructuring. Reality suggests that the Jamison deal has further damaged the COG's credit rating, meaning that a re-calculation of the scenarios (with or without the Coyotes) would make the "with" scenario look even less appealing.

But that's all water under the bridge. The outgoing council members who voted on the lease at the 11th hour before leaving because they know so much about what goes on in the COG finances have made their mark.

Old
12-05-2012, 02:16 PM
GF

Oh I see clarkonomics...

I thought maybe the going rate when they first financed this debt was much higher than now allowing them to save some money even though they are downgraded. They would, of course, save a lot more (if this was the case) with a better rating.

Does this stuff make the news at all in Glendale? Are citizens upset? Or are the major networks of information only covering what happens in Phoenix leaving people from Glendale oblivious to what is actually happening with their city??

I don't understand how people could not be furious knowing about that.

Old
12-05-2012, 02:21 PM
GuelphStormer

Quote:
clarkomonics ... why bother with that pesky principle when you can pay interest only and/or extend the period!?

it's the quick and easy way to save money! and your grandkids will love you for it!

Old
12-05-2012, 02:37 PM
cbcwpg

vCash: 350
Quote:
Oh I see clarkonomics...

I thought maybe the going rate when they first financed this debt was much higher than now allowing them to save some money even though they are downgraded. They would, of course, save a lot more (if this was the case) with a better rating.

Does this stuff make the news at all in Glendale? Are citizens upset? Or are the major networks of information only covering what happens in Phoenix leaving people from Glendale oblivious to what is actually happening with their city??

I don't understand how people could not be furious knowing about that.
My guess is... in for a penny... in for a pound. They no longer care and just want it over.

At the end of the day.... if you are Wilie E. Coyote and you fall off a cliff and go splat , what difference does it make if you fall 100ft. or 1000 ft.

Because that's all we are talking about here for Glendale... the size of the splat.

Old
12-05-2012, 03:01 PM
powerstuck
User Registered

Wish I could apply the clarkonomics to my financed car and condo...

Old
12-05-2012, 05:19 PM
aqib

Quote:
Interest rates in general are lower now than they used to be so depending on when the original debt was done its possible that you can do A2 debt today at a lower rate than AA3 debt a few years ago. I doubt it can be done now with the negative outlook (meaning another downgrade could happen at any point),

Old
12-05-2012, 05:22 PM
Ernie

Quote:
Probably has to do with the overall state of the bond market.. other investments are seen as risky right now, so bond rates are lower than they would be under a healthy economy.

Old
12-05-2012, 05:34 PM
barneyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqib View Post
Interest rates in general are lower now than they used to be so depending on when the original debt was done its possible that you can do A2 debt today at a lower rate than AA3 debt a few years ago. I doubt it can be done now with the negative outlook (meaning another downgrade could happen at any point),
I think it's fair to say that a significant part of those savings are gone, but I took a quick look at a few Glendale bond quotes (Transportation Excise bonds) and they are still trading way above par (at 110-115). So they could still be saving some money, of course that depends on how much they can call the existing bonds for.

Old
12-05-2012, 06:08 PM
aqib

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
I think it's fair to say that a significant part of those savings are gone, but I took a quick look at a few Glendale bond quotes (Transportation Excise bonds) and they are still trading way above par (at 110-115). So they could still be saving some money, of course that depends on how much they can call the existing bonds for.
I think thats fair to say. What are the Transportation Excise bonds backed by? I think in they haven't factored in the impact of the downgrade.

Old
12-05-2012, 06:42 PM
Mightygoose
I Am Groot

vCash: 514
With today's BOG meeting come and gone, Of course there is no way they could give a formal approval to Jamison.

Anyone know if there was any development on that front or if he was even present today?

Old
12-05-2012, 08:24 PM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqib View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
Probably has to do with the overall state of the bond market.. other investments are seen as risky right now, so bond rates are lower than they would be under a healthy economy.
Rates are one piece. What happened last time they tried to float bonds? The subscription fell way short.

Old
12-05-2012, 08:31 PM
madhi19

Quote:
Clarkomonics resumed by Jon Crier!

Closed Thread