HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Just curious...

Closed Thread

Old
12-09-2003, 11:29 AM
RoyIsALegend*

vCash: 500
The only time I've ever re-called Colorado playing a player for the entire powerplay was in 2001, when Joe Sakic's Hart trophy season was topped off with ridiculous ice time against the Devils without Peter Forsberg. Also, Rob Blake did it a few times for us.

Speaking as an Avs fan, I see no reason in playing a player for the full two minutes. Our healthy PP units:

Tanguay - Forsberg - Hejduk
Blake - Morris

Konowalchuk - Sakic - Selanne
Foote - Kariya

I can't see Kono not getting some PP time considering the tremendous dirty work he's done for us since his arrival. Kariya can man the point very well, so I don't see a reason to double shift a star on the entire PP.

Conversely, I saw the trio of Sakic, Blake and Foote kill off a 5 on 3 against the Sharks in a brutally officiated game six in 2002 for nearly the entire two minutes. Foote cleared the puck out after about 1:45 of a deadly 5 on 3. Oh, and I suppose I should mention Patrick Roy had a minor part to play in that.

Old
12-09-2003, 11:45 AM
kira

Send a message via ICQ to kira Send a message via Yahoo to kira
Thanks for all the input...I learn more and more with each posting.

It always seemed to me that most teams on a power play had at least 2 lines that they split the time between, and that makes more sense to me than having one line to do it all. But by what you guys have written it's a lot more prevalent than what you might think. I'm not sure that were I the coach I would encourage my guy (or line) to stay out there for the whole time, but if you have the stamina, the will and, I guess, the ability, and your coach has enough faith in you, if you want to stay out for the whole two minutes, I guess they couldn't stop you.

And like I said, I'm fearing with the Wings, it's going to become the rule rather than the exception.

Old
12-09-2003, 11:58 AM
RoyIsALegend*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kira
I'm not sure that were I the coach I would encourage my guy (or line) to stay out there for the whole time.
Oh, come on. You'd have Pavel out there every single shift.

Quote:
And like I said, I'm fearing with the Wings, it's going to become the rule rather than the exception.
If I were Dave Lewis, Nicklas Lidstrom would be out for the full two minutes of every power-play.

Old
12-09-2003, 12:37 PM
dragonwyck

vCash:
Quote:
I saw something happen last night that I can't remember seeing in quite a while...and if it has, it never gets mentioned.

So I'm curious...when was the last time you remember someone playing a whole two minute power play? Who was it and when did it happen? I saw it happen last night...but before that...who knows?

Anyone got an answer? Thanks in advance.
MacInnis did it all the time.

Old
12-09-2003, 12:56 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

if the preds are down...timonen and zidlicky will stay out the whole two minutes.

Old
12-09-2003, 06:49 PM
kira

Send a message via ICQ to kira Send a message via Yahoo to kira
I thank you guys for your input...Roy, it actually was Pavel who did it last night and I was kinda surprised but also happy that he could do it.

I learn something every day...thanks for the lesson. School's out.

Closed Thread