HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Your biggest suprise from Bingo so far.

Old
12-05-2012, 10:44 AM
General Granny*

vCash: 500
Your biggest suprise from Bingo so far.

I know its barely 20 games but from.watching a couple of streams I have seen a couple of players that have surpassed my expectations so far in this early season.

Frederik Claesson- With the depth at D I really thought he would be spending most of the time at ECHL, but 5 points in 16 game while being sound defensivly has kept him up here, also really surprised at how physical he is in the boards, the kid got some jam.

Derek Grant- With all of the offensive weapons injected into the lineup I thought he would take a role of a shutdown guy, but is now leading the team with 7 goals and his line is the most consistent so far, they have been used in every situation, great size and surprised at his release.

Cole Schneider- 6 points in 9 games for a guy thats suppose to be in ECHL is pretty good, a great complementary player to his line of Prince and DaCosta, reminds a bit of Greening but without the strength and the speed but makes up for with a bit more skill and his hockey sense, seems to know where to be on the ice all the time, could be a gem.

Honorable mention- Silfverberg, I had low expectations that it would take until halfway through the season until he started to put some points and certainly not lead the team with vets like Hoffman, Dacosta, Peters son on the team.

General Granny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 10:55 AM
Qward
Because! That's why!

vCash: 265
I was high on Claesson before he came over. I was stoked when he said he wanted to come play in NA and develop his game here.
I am not surprised at his talent level, I am more surprised how quickly he adjusted. Hell he got in a fight in his first game I think.

Silfverberg is another player I was high on. He is not disappointing me at all.

Da Costa and Prince are my biggest surprises. I expected Da Costa to fall to the likes of Zib, Silv, Stone, Hoff, etc. He is showing he can hold his own and will fight tooth and nail for a job with the big boys.

I did not expect Prince to be as effective as he has been. Maybe it is because I did not see him play much before.

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 11:06 AM
Ouroboros

vCash: 50
Luke Richardson.

Ouroboros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 11:36 AM
Senatorsfan90

I agree that Claesson has been the most surprising D by far. However credit has to be given to Luke Richardson in his first season.

Senatorsfan90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 11:37 AM
Icelevel
little bit better

Petersson and hoffman struggling

Wiercioch Improvements

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 11:50 AM
SenzZen

I guess Tyler Eckford hasn't surprised anyone at all, right?...

SenzZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 11:52 AM
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid

vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenzZen View Post
His offense has really surprised me. He seems to get off a ton of point shots and never misses.

Benny FTW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 11:55 AM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 2391
Eckford and Claesson have both stood out. DD has been impressive as an energy guy.

12-05-2012, 12:01 PM
derriko

vCash: 4116
I think with the way the game has been going away from fighting, I think Claesson could surpass Boro and Gryba on the depth chart by next year. Im pretty impressed with how he has transitioned. Looks like hes fully comfortable on the small ice already. With that said, I think Gryba has been underrated so far.

derriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 12:28 PM
General Granny*

Quote:
Originally Posted by derriko View Post
I think with the way the game has been going away from fighting, I think Claesson could surpass Boro and Gryba on the depth chart by next year. Im pretty impressed with how he has transitioned. Looks like hes fully comfortable on the small ice already. With that said, I think Gryba has been underrated so far.
This.

I think Gryba has been better than Boro this season.

But our best all around damn has been Weircioch, very excited about his season, has great tools and size.

General Granny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 12:47 PM
ATdaisuki
invisible

on defense, eckford and wier have been pleasant surprises for me. i think i remember hearing that claesson wasn't the quickest skater, but that was on big ice, so i thought smaller ice would benefit him. he's been more physical than i thought he would be, but he did play in the sel last year, so i thought he would be solid.

for forwards, no one has really surpassed my expectations. i already thought grant was a good player. i had and still have high expectations for the rookie swedes, but knew they would have a transition period. they have been playing well, just not top notch. overall, the forwards have been solid with no positive standouts...
but petersson has been pretty bad. has he been playing with canonne again?

overall, lehner has been the biggest surprise for me. he has come in with a new attitude. he's playing as released lehner every night. he was playing well in the nhl, but had been poor in the ahl. i'm glad he's finally showing his stuff down there.

it's exciting to see binghamton do so well as the youngest team in the league. they've definitely made the lockout more bearable.

ATdaisuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 12:55 PM
Minister of Offence

Zibby being a 3rd liner at best.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 01:18 PM
Tuna99

How much Boro is fighting - he has is proving 1 thing to Ottawa, he will do his best to replace Matty Carkner as a guy who will do things for the organization that not many others in the system will do.

Tuna99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 01:26 PM
sens83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouroboros View Post
Luke Richardson.
This. Guy has everyone on this team humming to his system. Defense first, which in the past few years was laughable.

sens83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 01:47 PM
SensAreReligion
GT- CxC Senator

Zibby not being as an impact player as I thought

SensAreReligion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 02:22 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by derriko View Post
I agree with your comments regarding Claesson and Gryba, both have been very steady.

Regarding Boro dropping in the depth charts, I don't believe there is one rankings chart.

I believe teams rank players based on current projection and develop them accordingly.

In pure rankings Boro could be 4th or 5th of the current B-Sens, with Wiercoich, Gryba, Benoit and Eckford potentially ahead of him.

However T. Murray loves Boro for his compete level, toughness, dedication, and focus, not due to his outstanding skill. Should Boro continue to play a safe simple game, he will be in Ottawa as a bottom pairing D-man, potentially before the even more skilled players make the jump.

IMO there isn't one depth chart with a list of 50 players ranked 1 thru 50.

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 02:27 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Zibby being a 3rd liner at best.
Interesting comment, considering he has been on the top line all year.

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 03:03 PM
MainDotC
Depth Defenceman

Send a message via AIM to MainDotC Send a message via Yahoo to MainDotC Send a message via Skype™ to MainDotC
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensAreReligion View Post
Zibby not being as an impact player as I thought
Agreed - I consider this the biggest surprise. ZJ should be scoring much more at this level especially since:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
Except for a few ad-hoc changes he has been on the top line and hasn't produced like he should for a 1st rounder. The season's not over and I hope for the best but I expected more from him at this point. If he needs 1 full season in Bingo then so be it, but I'd like to see more production before he moves up to the show.

MainDotC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 03:06 PM
White Goodman
smell that fitness?

Nathan Lawson.

White Goodman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 04:30 PM
R2010

Andre Petersson by far.

Hoffman has been good but his stats haven't been there - Petersson just hasn't been good at all. For a guy with his elite skill level the only thing it makes me think is that it's character/hockey sense related.

R2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 05:08 PM
OgieO

Claesson, DD and Schneider have been pleasant surprises for me.

On the other side, I wish Petersson was performing better.

OgieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 05:32 PM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

vCash: 106
Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
Ben Bishop

OmniSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 05:44 PM
We Want the Cup 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2010 View Post
Andre Petersson by far.

Hoffman has been good but his stats haven't been there - Petersson just hasn't been good at all. For a guy with his elite skill level the only thing it makes me think is that it's character/hockey sense related.
I think he see's the writing on the wall. He's been passed by some prospects, and others that are younger are on their way. Hopefully he gets it together, and has a strong back end to the season, but time is ticking for him and a few of the other B rated prospects.

We Want the Cup 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 05:57 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
I mean as an NHL prospect.

I mean sarcasm too.

Lehner playing out of his mind so far is perhaps my biggest surprise. Had to think he'd play well, but he's been lights out.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 06:14 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Some of you are not really basing surprises off of what is expected from them. Then again, maybe that in itself is a surprise from different personal expectations.

Biggest surprise for me? Hmmm, this is a tough one, I knew Bingo would be among the best, I'd have to say Wiercioch and Claesson.

Claesson because of how consistent he has been in such little time so far in the pro game. I thought he'd be a much longer project and show signs of lapses, I'd consider him as our most consistent defender on the defensive ends.

Wiercioch because watching him play last year and this year, it'd be perfect to describe his game as two ends of a spectrum. I thought he lost it all and would take another 2-3 years to fill out his projected abilities but wow, he has been marvelous so far this year.

Biggest of em all is Petersson'; he still shows great promise from long stretches of dominance on the offensive end but what was once considered his best ability-- his shot and finishing-- is the most lacking so far. Very disappointed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
I was high on Claesson before he came over. I was stoked when he said he wanted to come play in NA and develop his game here.
I am not surprised at his talent level, I am more surprised how quickly he adjusted. Hell he got in a fight in his first game I think.

Silfverberg is another player I was high on. He is not disappointing me at all.

Da Costa and Prince are my biggest surprises. I expected Da Costa to fall to the likes of Zib, Silv, Stone, Hoff, etc. He is showing he can hold his own and will fight tooth and nail for a job with the big boys.

I did not expect Prince to be as effective as he has been. Maybe it is because I did not see him play much before.
I do not know why you are surprised in regards to Da Costa. I made a post a year ago explaining how in College, Da Costa outperformed the likes of Toews and did much better than James Van Riemsdyk.

Da Costa is very underrated in this fan base, it really surprises me. With that being said, I agree with everything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenzZen View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny FTW View Post
His offense has really surprised me. He seems to get off a ton of point shots and never misses.
Every scouting report indicated that Eckford had one of the best shots in the A from the point and that's his primary source of offense. Pretty bang on assessment of what we're seeing so far.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote