HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey
Canadian Junior Hockey Devoted to the CHL (OHL, QMJHL, WHL), CJAHL, and its leagues

CCHL 2012-2013 season - part II (Mod warning in Post 30)

Closed Thread

Old
12-05-2012, 09:05 AM
gusfring

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoasttoCoast View Post
"Size is the most common mistake on draft-day"- assuming someone can play because they have size or presuming somewhat cannot play because they are small, are the two most common mistakes. Nepean & Cornwall's key forwards last year were the smallest in the league. They were the two teams in the final.
"It's not how tall you are...it's how big your game is"
Absolutely true.

Old
12-05-2012, 09:49 AM
hardfacts

Watched the kings vs grads last night.....i hope the transition goes smoothly...SK put a good team together...especially for next year.....

Mohns will do a good job as he has been there for four years..... his job will allow him to be flexible and spend alot of time with the team....

Congrats SK....go kings go...

Old
12-05-2012, 10:57 AM
Rangersfan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardfacts View Post
Watched the kings vs grads last night.....i hope the transition goes smoothly...SK put a good team together...especially for next year.....

Mohns will do a good job as he has been there for four years..... his job will allow him to be flexible and spend alot of time with the team....

Congrats SK....go kings go...
How was the game? I was very surprised to see the kings lose

Old
12-05-2012, 12:19 PM
Off the Boards

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoasttoCoast View Post
"Size is the most common mistake on draft-day"- assuming someone can play because they have size or presuming somewhat cannot play because they are small, are the two most common mistakes. Nepean & Cornwall's key forwards last year were the smallest in the league. They were the two teams in the final.
"It's not how tall you are...it's how big your game is"
Very good statement, I agree , well said CoatstoCoast.

Old
12-05-2012, 12:36 PM
Lakers21

Mohs is not Keefe... not even close.
Players are not confident in him as they were in Keefe.
While everyone is congratulating Sheldon Keefe on his personal accomplishment (Twitter is a blaze with them) - the players he recruited, traded for, persuaded and asked to be part of his team and his program have been abandoned with Mohns. The players have no where near the respect or belief in Mohns. Leaders need followers, and inherting the coaching position doesn't mean players will follow. Keefe has great leadership skill, a commanding personality, excellent hockey skill set and ambition = a great coach. Just because Mohns knows the 'systems' doesn't mean he can replace Keefe.
As was mentioned in a previous debate about 'the business of hockey'... ya you can argue that, I get it. But these are young men who came to play for the guy who was the leader of 5 championship teams, drove accountability and instilled passion to play. Those are personal character traits of Keefe that he took with him to pursue his personal goals - at the same time he abandoning the promises and interests of the players he left behind with Mohns.
Talk to any current player or a past player and you'll get a clear and concise answer - Mohns is no Sheldon Keefe.
The players, fans and city were abandoned... for Keefe's personal goals. Soo Greyhounds will be a much better team very shortly. PLK... to be determined. I'm not a fan of Sheldon Keefe right now .
Everyone can now continue the Sheldon love in and best wishes party...

Old
12-05-2012, 12:48 PM
Off the Boards

Team report card

Just looking over the my team (Colts) list of players during our trim back to 25 cards (Dec.1)

I rated (my opinion) my team (A+ = star player game changer, A= elite player, A-=elite player missing a little something, B+=very good, B=good in a specific thing,B-= does not always show up, C+=above average, C=average, C- slightly below, D=below struggling, F = does not belong)

Forwards = Marly Quince (A) , Michael Pontarelli (A), Roman Ammirato (B+), Mitch Zion (B), Kevin Hope (B), Billy Ulrick (B), Jake Martin (B), Alex Gendron (B-), Jake Bannister (C+), Trent Durocher (C+), Khalid Ali (C+), Andrew Ming (C), Sean King (C), Nicholas Santoro (C), Tanner Spink (C-), Lawson MacDonald (C-), Lawson MacDougall (D)

Defence = Carl Belizario (B), Brandon Howes (B), Stephen Johnson (B), Parker Kroll (B-), Pierre Ouellette (C+), Kevin Sarazin (C-), Sheehan Kirkwood (D), *Jason Suvak *traded* (D), Josh Crane (D)

Goalies = Jordan Piccolino (B), James Edwardson (C)

I don't mean to get anybody upset it's just my honest opinion.

Feel free to rate your team and post it.

Old
12-05-2012, 12:55 PM
Off the Boards

I believe Cornwall's AP are Josh Crane, Lawson MacDonald,Lawson MacDougall. Could be wrong not sure.

Old
12-05-2012, 01:07 PM
oldnucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers21 View Post
While everyone is congratulating Sheldon Keefe on his personal accomplishment (Twitter is a blaze with them) - the players he recruited, traded for, persuaded and asked to be part of his team and his program have been abandoned with Mohns. The players have no where near the respect or belief in Mohns. Leaders need followers, and inherting the coaching position doesn't mean players will follow. Keefe has great leadership skill, a commanding personality, excellent hockey skill set and ambition = a great coach. Just because Mohns knows the 'systems' doesn't mean he can replace Keefe.
As was mentioned in a previous debate about 'the business of hockey'... ya you can argue that, I get it. But these are young men who came to play for the guy who was the leader of 5 championship teams, drove accountability and instilled passion to play. Those are personal character traits of Keefe that he took with him to pursue his personal goals - at the same time he abandoning the promises and interests of the players he left behind with Mohns.
Talk to any current player or a past player and you'll get a clear and concise answer - Mohns is no Sheldon Keefe.
The players, fans and city were abandoned... for Keefe's personal goals. Soo Greyhounds will be a much better team very shortly. PLK... to be determined. I'm not a fan of Sheldon Keefe right now .
I dont think you or other fans would be happy even if he waited till the end of year, and whos to say the opportunity would still be there.. you wouldnt curse a player for moving up to the ohl mid season.

Old
12-05-2012, 01:14 PM
ottawafan66

Quote:
Wow. Did Keefe cut your kid or something?

Have you spoken with all current and past players? Didn't think so. I agree that Mohn's is no SK but you make him sound like he doesn't have a clue. And is Sheldon supposed to stay in Pembroke forever? I'm guessing that he'll continue to be the owner of the team, so will still have input with recruiting and personnel decisions.

Old
12-05-2012, 01:17 PM
Rangersfan21

Quote:
Its part of Jr hockey, when you come to a team you understand that anything can change, you can be cut, traded or any other player can. Coaches can be fired or move up in levels. Anything can happen

Old
12-05-2012, 01:38 PM
ZebraCritic

Quote:
While I don't agree with your venom toward Keefe ( I think he and anyone else in his position has the right to move forward and it quite honestly it happens all the time) I will agree with your first statement. "Mohns is not Keefe"

I think you might find that the Lumber Kings struggle for a while if not the rest of the season due to his departure. I don't know the new coach what so ever, other than what I have seen of him at games behind the bench, but I can tell you that he is not even close to filling the shoes that have been left to him.

He is going to have to earn the respect of the Refs, and most of all his players. Speak it or not, Keefe ran that team with a iron like fist. His teams were based on discipline and very rigid discipline at that. Don't follow the game plan "sit" don't fit in with the team dynamic "bye bye". It should be interesting to see how far they might slide, because to be honest they are not a very deep team. Keefe was able to squeeze every bit of effort and skill out of every player that he had, all his teams were the epitomy of the word "team", not sure Mohns is capable of conjuring up the same cult like obsession the players had for Keefe. Best of luck to the team, the league is a better having them as one of the top teams year after year.

One thing can be certain Keefe ain't coming back, only moving forward and good on him if that is his desire.

Old
12-05-2012, 01:48 PM
BackBringCam

Whose the best officials in the league? Can we talk about (In our own opinion) the worst or would the mods go bananas?

Old
12-05-2012, 02:08 PM
ZebraCritic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackBringCam View Post
Whose the best officials in the league? Can we talk about (In our own opinion) the worst or would the mods go bananas?
OMG....Don't get me started! Loney Worst.....Sweeney Worster!!!

Old
12-05-2012, 02:31 PM
hurricane11

Quote:
I am sure he's no SK but at least give the guy a chance. To say the fans were abandon is ridiculous they were treated to 5 CCHL championships and a National Championship. I would say the fans were spoiled and should be thankful for the time SK was there and be excited that the town of Pembroke was the stepping stone for his coaching career.

Old
12-05-2012, 03:27 PM
stickhandle

"The players, fans and city were abandoned... for Keefe's personal goals. Soo Greyhounds will be a much better team very shortly. PLK... to be determined. I'm not a fan of Sheldon Keefe right now ."

This coach belonged at the the next level. He has been asked to coach in probanly the best development league in the world. Are you saying he should tell Mr Dubas can you please wait till next season so I dont abandon my players. Come on, most of us strive to be the best we can be and this was a opportunity for him to do that.

I think anybody (coach) given that offer would take it

Old
12-05-2012, 03:52 PM
Rangersfan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZebraCritic View Post
Personally I like Sweeney, Amyot and Brown the best out of the refs. The worst in my opinion might be Ottenhoff! I also am not a fan of fairbarn or mackey

Old
12-05-2012, 04:35 PM
Zola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangersfan21 View Post
Personally I like Sweeney, Amyot and Brown the best out of the refs. The worst in my opinion might be Ottenhoff! I also am not a fan of fairbarn or mackey
I like Amyot, he cracks jokes every now and then when he goes by.

Old
12-05-2012, 05:39 PM
overtheboards

Quote:
Agree , how will they ref a plk game now that keefe is gone .

Old
12-05-2012, 06:16 PM
BadgerKnight

The Racine Family

Here's a nice story. *Mr. Foote's Twitter statement captures the essence of the story. *Check it out.

Andrew Foote*‏@amkfoote Story I helped with on an*@OttawaJrSens*player, his blind father and the family that helps keep him in the game:*http://*******/YJrwTj**#OJS

http://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/video?clipI...binId=1.819039

Old
12-05-2012, 07:16 PM
MacM

Quote:
Loney hands down

Old
12-05-2012, 09:58 PM
EasternOntario Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacM View Post
Loney hands down
Having ref'd another sport at the highest possible level, I will usually stay away from referee criticism-----as I truly believe that if you have never done it, you have absolutely no clue on how hard it is. You see everything from the stands because you are further away and higher up, not trying to look through or around players. I will admit that as a whole, I feel the quality of ref's in the league is not very good.
A good referee understands and recognizes the flow of a game, and tries his best not to interupt that flow----hence calling what needs to be called, and leaving the marginal alone. I feel most of the ref's seem to overcall almost every game I watch, killing any chance to create flow. Some games need to be overcalled when tensions are running high and the odds are it will turn ugly, but these games are usually one in every dozen.
My advice to the ref's----call what you actually see, not what you think you might have missed. Here's what I really don't get, and this happened in about a three minute span---player is about to get hit and intentionally cross checks the guy in the head( 2 minute high stick ), about a minute later a player throws a check and might have brushed opponents head ( same ref calls 2 and 10 ), so that tells me that its better to cross check guy in head---puzzling. About three minutes after that a really hard hit into boards, with players head NEVER being touched---three game suspension for hitting to head.
My choice of worst ref would probably go to Coleman---for many different reasons.

Old
12-06-2012, 01:06 AM
EpicNeilTime

I'm just curious as to why Byron gets his name thrown around as an potential draft pick to the NHL, but Plouffe doesn't? They're almost identical in size, and Plouffe has more points. Is his skating an issue?

Old
12-06-2012, 06:26 AM
BackBringCam

Worst
Loney (BRUTAL)
Okeefe
Brown (Adam)
Schilling (PLK's personal ref)
Fairbairn honourable mention

Best
Amyot
Sweeny
White

Old
12-06-2012, 08:31 AM
putmeincoach

I can't believe that you have good referee and Amyot in the same sentence. Arrogant and Amyot seem to go well together. Coleman is the worst, 2 zones behind the play it seems. Don't have much use for Foster either.

Old
12-06-2012, 09:01 AM
Colts Fan

Patrick Brown from Kingston is the best.

Closed Thread