HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '13 U.S.A.

Closed Thread

Old
12-05-2012, 04:17 PM
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
I am.

Providence play in the EAAC right ?
Hockey East with BC, BU, UNH, etc.

Old
12-05-2012, 04:20 PM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaykay View Post
Yeah they've played BC, BU, UNH so far... but they've also played teams like Qunnipiac, Merrimack and Sacred Heart.

Far cry from facing players like Strome, Galchenyuk etc. on a regular basis.

Old
12-05-2012, 04:21 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
I see, good caliber.

But I still say Sparks sees better competition...

As a whole I find the NCAA is getting weaker.., they have lost some very good players... To the CHL... Like I feel the tide is tipping.

Old
12-05-2012, 04:33 PM
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
Yeah they've played BC, BU, UNH so far... but they've also played teams like Qunnipiac, Merrimack and Sacred Heart.

Far cry from facing players like Strome, Galchenyuk etc. on a regular basis.
Quinnipiac is actually a good team this year but that's beside the point. The CHL definitely has better high-end offensive talent but the teams in the NCAA are better. They have more depth and the players are bigger, stronger, and older.

Old
12-05-2012, 04:54 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
I see, good caliber.

But I still say Sparks sees better competition...

As a whole I find the NCAA is getting weaker.., they have lost some very good players... To the CHL... Like I feel the tide is tipping.
It's pretty hard to compare teams in the two different leagues, sure the OHL has some great teams like London, Owen Sound, Barrie, but they also have their fair share of ****** teams like Erie, Ottawa, Peterborough.

Hockey East also has some real good teams like BC, UNH, they also have UM and UML who are bad.

I would say that the worst teams in Hockey East are more difficult to play then the worst teams in the OHL, due to size and speed. But like I said it is hard to try and compare.

Old
12-05-2012, 05:00 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

C - Trouba
A - Biggs
A - Miller

Anyone agree/disagree?

12-05-2012, 05:52 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Quinnipiac is actually a good team this year but that's beside the point. The CHL definitely has better high-end offensive talent but the teams in the NCAA are better. They have more depth and the players are bigger, stronger, and older.
I think it's clear that for skaters the NCAA is a higher level of competition but for goalies I'm less sure.

Old
12-05-2012, 06:10 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
Quote:
Sparks is facing better competition... In a higher scoring league... I.E better scoring chances.
I don't see the point of this, because he's in a "tougher" league means he's a better goaler? I would really like to see BU face the top teams of the OHL. I don't like making assumptions, but I think BU would dominate the OHL teams. Sparks is a good goaler no doubt, but has poor rebound control that could haunt USA. I personally think USA should take all three to Russia, but IMO Gillies is a bit better than him.

Old
12-05-2012, 06:21 PM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 390
Do Galchenyuk and Matteau have any chances if getting an A or a C for you guys ?

Old
12-05-2012, 06:32 PM
DuckJet
Destiny pls

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdubois585 View Post
Do Galchenyuk and Matteau have any chances if getting an A or a C for you guys ?
Likely not. It'll probably be Trouba, Biggs, and Miller.

Old
12-05-2012, 06:44 PM
wings5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
Why were McColgan and Jacobs never seen by anybody to have a shot at making the team?
anyone?

Old
12-05-2012, 06:49 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
Why were McColgan and Jacobs never seen by anybody to have a shot at making the team?
a bit surprised that Jacobs didnt get the call.

the kid has had a very good start to the year, nothing earth shattering, but it seems that he just hasnt done enough in USA Hockey's eyes to warrant an invite.

McColgan had no chance with Gaudreau, Grimaldi, and Trocheck on this squad...all smaller skilled guys, no room for him.

Old
12-05-2012, 06:51 PM
Exit Dose

Didn't McColgan have some struggles this year? I remember hearing people questioning whether he was living up to the trade that brought him to Saskatoon.

Old
12-05-2012, 06:53 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Reid Boucher is a shock to me. I felt that why break up the chemistry that he and Galy have had this year and parts of last year?? These tournaments are very short, and usually whoever bonds the fastest likely wins.. It does seem a bit strange that kid of his skill (arguably the top 2 shooter eligible for the US) who has scored bigtime goals for the US, and who did play for the USNDP got left off the eval roster.. that one makes no sense to me at all.

I am not calling out another CHL bias here, but I think the US could regret not having Boucher on this team. I have seen posts that he wouldnt make a top 6 role, but to be honest after looking at some of the mock rosters, how the heck wouldnt he? You bring Boucher along to play with Galy, simple as that.

He has kept up skating fine this year with Alex for Sarnia, but again IMO, this is a mistake for the US.

Old
12-05-2012, 06:54 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
Didn't McColgan have some struggles this year? I remember hearing people questioning whether he was living up to the trade that brought him to Saskatoon.
he has done fine, but he has pretty much been the exact same player he was nearly 4 years ago in the WHL. He really hasnt dominated at a level that some of us thought he would. At this point in the game, Grimaldi and Gaudreau are just simply better. Tynan was better last year as well.

Old
12-05-2012, 06:55 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
C - Trouba
A - Biggs
A - Miller

Anyone agree/disagree?
Is Biggs really a letter guy? I know he wore the C on the U18 team, but I don't know if he gets that over other guys. Jones was one of those as well, could see him getting a letter over Biggs.

Old
12-05-2012, 06:58 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

I dont have too many gripes with this eval roster. I spoke my mind about Reid Boucher, and I will stand by that as being a mistake.

I am not a fan of Kuraly getting invited with the way he has played this year. I understand how awesome he looked at the summer eval camp, but you have to be firing on all cylinders before entering this tourney....maybe this news sparks him and he turns it around fast as if on, he could be this years Jerry D'Amigo IMO.

There definitely is a NCAA flavor on this eval roster. I figured to see around 2-3 more CHL kids on this roster with the pure amount of talent we have in the CHL right now. I am not really complaining about much as some of the guys who I felt had a decent shot at making this team, would only be a role player mold except Boucher.

I truly hope Kerdiles does get his shot as it is stupid to not see his name here. Bring the extra damn skater along and create a few battles here. 15 forwards is simply not enough to spark more battles here. I think that extra forward or two really can make a few kids work a bit harder knowing there are likely 4 cuts instead of the current 2.

Old
12-05-2012, 06:59 PM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
Is Biggs really a letter guy? I know he wore the C on the U18 team, but I don't know if he gets that over other guys. Jones was one of those as well, could see him getting a letter over Biggs.
Nobody thinks Galchenyuk has a shot at an "A"? Trouba and Miller seem like locks for the "C" and 1 "A" but even Biggs over Gally?

Old
12-05-2012, 07:05 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

the defense is going to be strong. I am not of fan of either Reilly or Skjei right now, but I do see the mobility and skating that they can bring to this team. You need solid skaters for this tournament, and for the bigger ice surface it is more important for defense imo, so I understand why they are here. Just would have loved to have seen Robbie Russo get a shot.

I would think the top 5 are locked down right now : Jones, Trouba, Murphy, Gostisbehere, and McCabe. The other two spots are wide open in my mind with Sieloff as the likely #6 as his physical play will be awesome to have along the boards and open ice.

From the way McCabe has been playing these past 2 weeks, this kid is making me a huge fan as he has played a very very solid 2-way game that will help calm this team out there.

It will be a physical bunch with some solid skill....though I just dont know who is going to be that dynamic skating rusher or power play point man like we had in 2010 with Fowler and Carlson... hopefully Skjei or Reilly can turn into that as I think there is only room for one of these kids making this squad with the 6 I have listed above. My bet is on Skjei, as he has a bigger frame then Mike, and was a top pick which sometimes does lean a bit into these things.

Old
12-05-2012, 07:08 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

I can easily see it as :

Trouba -C

Miller -A

Grimaldi - A

Grimaldi is such a warrior and a lead by example kid. He reminds me a lot of Parise and teammates flock to him...just my thoughts but either Grimaldi, Murphy, Biggs, Noesen or Galy would be fine with me.

This team has a lot of leaders and solid characters here...plenty of letters could go around with a group like this, and thats why I like their chances.

Old
12-05-2012, 07:13 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

My breakout player for the US:

RYAN HARTMAN!

I love this kid and the way he plays. I think he can play any style you want, and I am happy that him and Jones will get to showcase their skill for the upcoming draft on a bigger stage. I think by the time its over, Hartman will be a kid that gets his name vaulted a bit from a solid physical showing. As long as he cools down the penalties, this kid is a pure buzz saw with skill.

Honorable Mention : Riley Barber.

I love both Hartman and Barber. Both are a bit on the smaller side, but bring strong work ethics, speed and skill. Barber will be tougher to make this team as I dont know how well he can play on the 4th line where he would likely slot, but if the US brass feel he can handle that role and still chip in offensively, he should make this team.

I also love Mario Lucia and his size and skill. Happy he is coming back strong from his injury. He can be a big difference maker for this team on the third line likely...hopefully with Kerdiles there!!

Old
12-05-2012, 07:14 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdubois585 View Post
I doubt Matteau does. Galchenyuk maybe, but not likely.

Old
12-05-2012, 07:28 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
To be honest the only player I think who should've gotten an invite is Nieves. Samuelsson would be a decent offensive weapon, but has too many holes in his game currently, I don't think it would've "hurt" USA to invite him, but not surprised from the lack of one as well.
Samuelsson was not a shock imo...plus he has next year as well.

Nieves (who I liked a lot) had no shot this year as USA Hockey really has no love for him. He has another shot next year, and seeing how he did go the college route playing for a Michigan power, he should easily be in the running if he continues to impress next year. the kid has size and skill, and though he has been labeled a perimiter player, I think he can bring some jam next year to this team and be in consideration for a top 6 role.

Old
12-05-2012, 07:31 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by usahockey22flyers View Post
Anyone willing to compare JT Miller to Derek Stepan?
I think he will have that similar role that Stepan did in 2010. Miller has to be the go to guy here (though Galchenyuk will be the likely focal point), or the jack of all trades player that can do it all for US. he is our only pro player, so IMO, yes he should be like Stepan in 2010..this is his redemption from the mess that was last year.

Miller can shoot, pass, hit, and grind it out... all things Stepan does very well with...

Old
12-05-2012, 07:38 PM
Nash

After last year's horrible showing by ending up in the relegation round, where do most Americans see the team placing this year?

Canada, Russia and Sweden should be just as good this time around. Finland and Czech Republic might have the best rosters they have had for some time.

Jones and Galychenuk were huge losses last year, but are there any top end undrafted players in the mix this year?

I think the top five unit USA can ice is as good as anyone, but I see a real lack of depth on the squad. What is a realistic finish for USA?

Closed Thread