HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off-Season Madness the 9th: Tom Cheek Memorial Edition

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-05-2012, 03:22 PM
  #1
GoHardSports
TorontoMarleauLeafs
 
GoHardSports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Vaughan
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,241
vCash: 500
Off-Season Madness the 9th: Tom Cheek Memorial Edition

Lol:

Quote:
tim britton@tbritton_projo


francona: "being totally honest, i think boston's biggest weakness is their manager."

GoHardSports is offline  
Old
12-05-2012, 03:29 PM
  #2
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD
 
BigFatCat999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Campbell, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,984
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoMarleauLeafs View Post
Lol:
Manager or General Manager?

BigFatCat999 is offline  
Old
12-05-2012, 03:29 PM
  #3
calcal798
Registered User
 
calcal798's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,644
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGuy14 View Post
If they make the deal for Upton, they will probably jump all over Greinke, not Hamilton
Greinke
Harrison
Darvish
Lewis
Holland

1-5 that is a solid rotation, LA would probably be disappointed if Greinke went to a divison rival after spending all that money last off season and the assets to get him. But man would Texas be looking good.

Feel like the Jays are in a similar situation with Rangers. A great batting and good bullpen, we both have 4 starters with question marks for some but good potential and are looking for that fifth piece to cap it off. Greinke would do it for them, but a #4/5 would be okay for us.

calcal798 is offline  
Old
12-05-2012, 03:31 PM
  #4
cyris
Global Moderator
On a Soma Holiday
 
cyris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 3rd Planet From Sun.
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,209
vCash: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokil View Post
Why? Gose is pretty terrible (I'm not a fan of either but at least Rasmus is a starter for us)
Gose will be a very good starting CF even if his bat doesn't improve much. His range and arm alone will make him one of the best defensive outfielders in the game and his speed on the bases is as good as anyone in the game.

If he can improve his bat he will be an allstar.

cyris is offline  
Old
12-05-2012, 03:31 PM
  #5
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus
 
The Nemesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Langley, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,405
vCash: 500
Oh, gotta give props from the last thread for the Richard Hidalgo reference. Haven't heard that name in a long time. Takes me back to playing All-Star Baseball 2000 on the N64 when I'd trade for an OF of Hidalgo, Preston Wilson, and Juan Encarnacion.

__________________

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
The Nemesis is offline  
Old
12-05-2012, 03:35 PM
  #6
calcal798
Registered User
 
calcal798's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,644
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
Gose will be a very good starting CF even if his bat doesn't improve much. His range and arm alone will make him one of the best defensive outfielders in the game and his speed on the bases is as good as anyone in the game.

If he can improve his bat he will be an allstar.
He'll be deadly on the bases too.

If he can get a solid BA between .270-280 even it'd be more then enough for the contribution he will bring on the defensive side of the ball.

calcal798 is offline  
Old
12-05-2012, 03:36 PM
  #7
Tony Clifton Leaf
A Mouthful
 
Tony Clifton Leaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,263
vCash: 201
I was born in 1994, so I've never really experienced following the Jays when they've had success. I'm something of a casual Jays fan (usually catch 10 - 20 games a year, even when we're losing) but if this team lives up to it's potential I would probably start watching every game I could. I think there are a lot of Jays "fans" like me who will jump on the bandwagon once this team gets rolling; Rogers has made a pretty big investment, but it has the potential to have a huge payoff for them.

Tony Clifton Leaf is offline  
Old
12-05-2012, 03:36 PM
  #8
GoHardSports
TorontoMarleauLeafs
 
GoHardSports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Vaughan
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,241
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Manager or General Manager?
It was a joke. Francona is poking fun at Farrell.

GoHardSports is offline  
Old
12-05-2012, 03:46 PM
  #9
topched
Registered User
 
topched's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,590
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
Oh, gotta give props from the last thread for the Richard Hidalgo reference. Haven't heard that name in a long time. Takes me back to playing All-Star Baseball 2000 on the N64 when I'd trade for an OF of Hidalgo, Preston Wilson, and Juan Encarnacion.
LOL Nem.

I played that game endlessly. For me the trade was always for Paul O'Neill or Juan Gonzalez.

I also made sure I traded for Tom Candiotti from the A's too. I couldn't stand facing that knuckleball... trying to lineup the box with that tiny dot that fluttered around was IMPOSSIBLE.

topched is offline  
Old
12-05-2012, 03:50 PM
  #10
cyris
Global Moderator
On a Soma Holiday
 
cyris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 3rd Planet From Sun.
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,209
vCash: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by calcal798 View Post
He'll be deadly on the bases too.

If he can get a solid BA between .270-280 even it'd be more then enough for the contribution he will bring on the defensive side of the ball.
With his D and absolute cannon of an arm any offense from him is just a bonus. Add to that his base stealing ability and he is will be just fine going forward.

It will be great if he can hit for average or add some pop to his bat but he doesn't need to.


Last edited by cyris: 12-05-2012 at 03:56 PM.
cyris is offline  
Old
12-05-2012, 03:58 PM
  #11
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD
 
BigFatCat999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Campbell, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,984
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoMarleauLeafs View Post
It was a joke. Francona is poking fun at Farrell.
I know but BOTH are a joke.

BigFatCat999 is offline  
Old
12-05-2012, 04:00 PM
  #12
p.l.f.
mvp
 
p.l.f.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto, CANADA
Posts: 34,946
vCash: 500
just bring back villaneuva
problem solved

i dont see his name floating around at all

p.l.f. is offline  
Old
12-05-2012, 04:09 PM
  #13
cyris
Global Moderator
On a Soma Holiday
 
cyris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 3rd Planet From Sun.
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,209
vCash: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
just bring back villaneuva
problem solved

i dont see his name floating around at all
He wants to be a starter somewhere.

cyris is offline  
Old
12-05-2012, 04:09 PM
  #14
Leafssss
Registered User
 
Leafssss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: CANADA
Posts: 4,163
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
just bring back villaneuva
problem solved

i dont see his name floating around at all
Would rather hope that the Jays pay up 3-5M more to get a Marcum/McCarthy and push Happ down.

Leafssss is offline  
Old
12-05-2012, 04:14 PM
  #15
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus
 
The Nemesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Langley, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,405
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
LOL Nem.

I played that game endlessly. For me the trade was always for Paul O'Neill or Juan Gonzalez.

I also made sure I traded for Tom Candiotti from the A's too. I couldn't stand facing that knuckleball... trying to lineup the box with that tiny dot that fluttered around was IMPOSSIBLE.
I would always get Kevin Appier from the A's. He could dominate. But for some weird reason he would always break his arm within the first few starts of a season.

Now this conversation has made me want to see of my N64 still works

The Nemesis is offline  
Old
12-05-2012, 04:16 PM
  #16
p.l.f.
mvp
 
p.l.f.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto, CANADA
Posts: 34,946
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
He wants to be a starter somewhere.
i think he'd come back when he notices nobody else will seem interested
besides, they could make him the #5 andmake happ the spot starter

p.l.f. is offline  
Old
12-05-2012, 04:17 PM
  #17
p.l.f.
mvp
 
p.l.f.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto, CANADA
Posts: 34,946
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafssss View Post
Would rather hope that the Jays pay up 3-5M more to get a Marcum/McCarthy and push Happ down.
sure if theyre willing to spend
what would villaneuva want 5 mil per?

p.l.f. is offline  
Old
12-05-2012, 04:29 PM
  #18
Leafssss
Registered User
 
Leafssss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: CANADA
Posts: 4,163
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
sure if theyre willing to spend
what would villaneuva want 5 mil per?
I read somewhere that he was looking for like 7M, don't remember exactly as it was a while ago. Doubt he gets close to that though, 5M, like you said, seems okay.

I'm guessing Marcum would sign here for about 8-9M, McCarthy about 10M.

Leafssss is offline  
Old
12-05-2012, 04:34 PM
  #19
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster
 
dredeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,690
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobloblawLeaf View Post
I was born in 1994, so I've never really experienced following the Jays when they've had success. I'm something of a casual Jays fan (usually catch 10 - 20 games a year, even when we're losing) but if this team lives up to it's potential I would probably start watching every game I could. I think there are a lot of Jays "fans" like me who will jump on the bandwagon once this team gets rolling; Rogers has made a pretty big investment, but it has the potential to have a huge payoff for them.
They may appreciate you and your friends finding your way to a game or two. Just a thought. Live games are much better.

dredeye is offline  
Old
12-05-2012, 04:50 PM
  #20
calcal798
Registered User
 
calcal798's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,644
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafssss View Post
I read somewhere that he was looking for like 7M, don't remember exactly as it was a while ago. Doubt he gets close to that though, 5M, like you said, seems okay.

I'm guessing Marcum would sign here for about 8-9M, McCarthy about 10M.
8-9 for Macrum sounds like a good deal for me. I don't know if hed be looking for a one year deal, but he would be an ideal filler till Hutchinson gets back.

calcal798 is offline  
Old
12-05-2012, 04:51 PM
  #21
jcollins
BJ Elitist/Hipster
 
jcollins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,496
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
i think he'd come back when he notices nobody else will seem interested
besides, they could make him the #5 andmake happ the spot starter
except he's shown he can't be a starter.

jcollins is offline  
Old
12-05-2012, 04:58 PM
  #22
Bjindaho
Registered User
 
Bjindaho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,217
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
Oh, gotta give props from the last thread for the Richard Hidalgo reference. Haven't heard that name in a long time. Takes me back to playing All-Star Baseball 2000 on the N64 when I'd trade for an OF of Hidalgo, Preston Wilson, and Juan Encarnacion.
Hidalgo was the subject of the first ever Fangraphs article I read. He is the greatest example ever of a feast/famine cycle. He went from all-star/MVP candidate to replacement level and back for 6 or 7 years.

Speaking of ASB, I used to acquire a knuckleballer too, but I remember the computer devastating them, so I used to bury mine as the long man. I believe I used to have a similar OF as well (Encarnacion was highly rated).

Bjindaho is offline  
Old
12-05-2012, 04:59 PM
  #23
Animal
Registered User
 
Animal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 501
vCash: 500
The thing about pitching is you can never have enough. I'd like one more free agent pitcher. Then in a couple of years we'll have a wave of talent as Sanchez, syndergaard, nolin, hutch, and drabek will be ready. Out of those 5, I think it's safe to say at least 2 pan out.

Then down the road you've also got guys like osuna, Norris, smoral, Gonzalez and de jong

Animal is offline  
Old
12-05-2012, 05:02 PM
  #24
Cor
Me Troll? Never
 
Cor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: London, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,972
vCash: 50
AA on Fla flipping Escobar to TB: "You can’t worry about what everyone else is doing. Yunel is a good player, Reyes is a better fit for us"

Cor is offline  
Old
12-05-2012, 05:09 PM
  #25
Ohio Jones
Moderator
The other Dexter
 
Ohio Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Great White North
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,605
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor99 View Post
AA on Fla flipping Escobar to TB: "You can’t worry about what everyone else is doing. Yunel is a good player, Reyes is a better fit for us"
In other words, "He's not my problem any more!".

Ohio Jones is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:17 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.