HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Crosby, Penguins owners push to save NHL season

Old
12-05-2012, 01:23 PM
CootaRoo

vCash: 500
Media spin is set to deem Crosby the savior for a second time - this has Bettman's fingerprints all over it... I guess everyone here has already forgotten all the verbal diarrhea he has spouted during this inane process?

CootaRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 01:57 PM
Ari91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
Well maybe you should read the other sources whom you may find more palatable.

Oh, right. They're all saying the same thing. Just stop with shooting the messenger already. Burkle and Crosby have talked, have put together some initiative. There's no great mystery here.
I'm not shooting the messenger, I just don't take single detail I read and believe it just because someone bothered to print it. And I said that there's probably truth to the big picture but I questioned the small details. Burkle and Crosby strategizing a way to end this is certainly not considered a small detail...is it?

The reports about the Penguins situation says that Burkle and Lemieux were growing weary of the slow pace of negotiations and the trio came together along with Crosby's agent to discuss. Another report said that the owenrs gave Bettman leeway to do what he could until December 1st to get a deal done and once that time came, then a deal would be hammered out. That report conflicts with the idea that Burkle and Lemieux were growing tired of the stalling. So which is true?

Please shake your head at me some more because you have a problem with my fredom to think for myself. Sorry for thinking that I was free to be cautious about the things I read - not closing myself off to the possiblity of truth but simply being cautious about the idea of sensationalism being included in journalism...but that's silly, right? What kind of journalist sensationalizes their story?

And for the record, every source I've read on the topic all seem to reference Rossi. So what difference does it make reading 99 other articles talking about when all 99 articles reference the one article that I question? But again, in plain English, I don't think the article is a lie, as I think the possibility of them coming together is very possible. I just don't readily believe everything single word written in the article.

And thanks for reminding me why I've avoided your responses for a while. Good talking to you again Fugu.

Ari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 02:01 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by CootaRoo View Post
Media spin is set to deem Crosby the savior for a second time - this has Bettman's fingerprints all over it... I guess everyone here has already forgotten all the verbal diarrhea he has spouted during this inane process?

His fingerprints are in more places than you realize.

Fugu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 04:44 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shureshot66 View Post

Staunch would be an understatement. He's a personal pal of Bill Clinton and the duo doesn't have the best reputation together because of some of their shenanigans. There's a particularly unflattering nickname given to Burkle's private jet that he and Clinton used to tool around on together.

The guy isn't any kind of saint or savior, but hopefully he can help end this nonsense.
Not saying he is an angel regarding personal ethics, just where his political ethos lies, at least ethos with regards labor. That is why I limited the definition of "good" ethics to investment. It was also a point about the diversity of viewpoints on labor within the BOG as another poster assumed that because all members of the BOG were rich that they would have a single disparaging viewpoint towards labor.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 05:02 PM
Ernie

I think the idea that a new guard of owners taking over leadership of the league would assuage many of the players' fears.

I think it's funny that people are focussing on the absence of Donald Fehr and Bettman as somehow being significant to the movement in talks when both Daly and Steve Fehr were leading their respective sides.

To me, it's an indication that the league is pivoting. It should be pretty much obvious to everyone that the NHL negotiating committee that was in place up until yesterday was not going to get the best deal for the league.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 05:20 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
To me, it's an indication that the league is pivoting. It should be pretty much obvious to everyone that the NHL negotiating committee that was in place up until yesterday was not going to get the best deal for the league.
Define the 'best' deal for the league. It's quite possible that the original negotiating committee could get the absolute best deal possible - as long as they were content missing a full season to do so. It's just a question of when they would get that deal, and whether getting that extra 1% (or whatever was gained) was worth missing more games than what's potentially agreed to by this new group, where only 1/4 of the season is missed.

12-05-2012, 05:25 PM
Ernie

Well, missing a season wouldn't be the best deal for the league, especially since decertification would likely be all but inevitable.

Old
12-05-2012, 05:28 PM
Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CootaRoo View Post
I somehow doubt that Bettman is interesting in putting the player that accused him of planning to cancel games from the beginning up on some sort of pedestal.

It must be remembered that Crosby has been vocal in his criticism of the league's negotiators.

Old
12-05-2012, 05:48 PM
The Zetterberg Era
RIP Octopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szechwan View Post
I think this players/owners only meeting was a great idea really. It can't be easy for owners to sit across from their franchise player, look them in the eye and try to **** them over.

A sour taste left after this CBA negotiation could very well come to bite them in the ass when it's time to re-sign that franchise player, and owners like Birkle are well aware of that.
Would make more sense if that deal wasn't already signed, sealed, and delivered.

I am glad some of these guys clearly are talking. I have questioned just how not involved the Wings are with their players. They skate and work out at Kris Draper facility, he is a team employee. As soon as the lockout happened or in a short couple of weeks a bunch of the roster including Zetterberg who said he wouldn't be leaving got jobs. They have clearly seen this coming and have risked fines a couple times in fact getting one to talk about this. I don't find it plausable at all that they don't have contact with them and are not informed of where the team stands and their frustration with the process.

Bettman might hate that but unless he has people sitting around and watching these guys there isn't much he can do.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 07:23 PM
crazyforhockey

lebrun mentioned on Tsn that burkle is prepared to stay in NY till a deal is done

provided one does actually get done

crazyforhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 07:44 PM
Ernie

And you have your next chairman of the board of governors.

Old
12-05-2012, 09:44 PM
crazyforhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
And you have your next chairman of the board of governors.
have to pry it out of the dead hands of JJ

crazyforhockey is offline   Reply With Quote