HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

And we are locked out again (No Progress ,, Talks collapse)

Closed Thread

Old
12-04-2012, 06:57 PM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

vCash: 500
Again I honestly think a meeting without the figure heads can work.

I don't know why people think it's only a PR stunt and something that won't work. NOTHING! has worked up till now, even the mediator said they need to come up with something new. Maybe by getting rid of the middle men, neither of whom wants to lose face and be the one to "collapse", they can talk and do things their "leadership" wouldn't have done.

I think that is the biggest reason this can work. I think Betteman and Fehr are locked in a battle and neither would "fold" because they don't want to be seen as losing to the other. By them not being involved maybe progress can be made that Fehr or Bettman wouldn't allow. Plus if the owners and players make a deal that works out better for one side or the other both Bettman and Fehr can claim they didnt make that deal and would save their face.

Old
12-04-2012, 06:59 PM
Chris Hansen
Church of Versteeg

Nothing will come out of this, as always.

Old
12-04-2012, 08:58 PM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Meeting still taking place and multiple creditable sources (Dreger, LeBrun etc.) are reporting progress is being made and meetings will continue.

Old
12-04-2012, 09:58 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 400
Meeting has reconvened after dinner

Fehr and Bettman apparantly are now joining in

Either things will go to hell or something will actually come out of this meeting now

Old
12-05-2012, 07:56 AM
TorMenT
Go Blackhawks!

They said on the radio that meetings went late last night. They're supposed to meet at 10 today and have a press conference scheduled at noon. Don't quote me, but they said the rumor is a short season is going to happen.

Old
12-05-2012, 08:32 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

they're meeting from 9 to 11.

Old
12-05-2012, 11:44 AM
Cullksinikers

Just give me hockey in some fashion. I'll still go to some games.

Old
12-05-2012, 11:44 AM
Cullksinikers

Hey, 2 and 7's legs will have less wear and tear with a shortened season.

So will everyone else's, though.

Old
12-05-2012, 03:29 PM
BobbyJet

I find it strange that 24 guys in a room can accomplish anything in gaining traction to this stalemate. If true, and they are indeed much closer to a deal after just one long day of discussion, in my mind, it spells out just one thing: The 2 giant egos of Fehr and Bettman was always the biggest problem to getting this deal done, as many of us suspected. Once this is finally over with, the players need to give Fehr his walking papers (for good) and Im sure the owners may seriously consider canning Gary as well.

Old
12-05-2012, 03:33 PM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
I find it strange that 24 guys in a room can accomplish anything in gaining traction to this stalemate. If true, and they are indeed much closer to a deal after just one long day of discussion, in my mind, it spells out just one thing: The 2 giant egos of Fehr and Bettman was always the biggest problem to getting this deal done, as many of us suspected. Once this is finally over with, the players need to give Fehr his walking papers (for good) and Im sure the owners may seriously consider canning Gary as well.
I agree. If they hammer out a deal to save the season, it was all Fehr and Bettman. While I am and have been on the players side, I also agree that it is time for both Fehr and Bettman to go. I think Fehr already said this is it for him before it started anyway. But Bettman, enough is enough, he is the biggest problem and must go.

Old
12-05-2012, 05:54 PM
Hawkaholic

All of this pretty much confirms that Gary and the owners didn't really want the season to start until the NFL season was almost done. Save 100's of millions of dollars, get contracting rights they didn't get in the last CBA, and start up in time to get over 50 games in.

Old
12-05-2012, 06:42 PM
BobbyJet

/\ Ya right.

Old
12-05-2012, 07:18 PM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:
I find it strange that 24 guys in a room can accomplish anything in gaining traction to this stalemate. If true, and they are indeed much closer to a deal after just one long day of discussion, in my mind, it spells out just one thing: The 2 giant egos of Fehr and Bettman was always the biggest problem to getting this deal done, as many of us suspected. Once this is finally over with, the players need to give Fehr his walking papers (for good) and I’m sure the owners may seriously consider canning Gary as well.
But we knew that so I don't know why this is surprising to people.

The moment Fehr was hired I knew he and Bettmen would never get a deal done together.

Fehr is a union leader, that's it, he doesn't care about the sport, the fans, or anyone else other then himself first, then the union. He wasn't going to sign a deal that did anything other then break the NHL and Bettman no matter how it effected the league because that's how he comes off as looking his best. Again I personally believe that if Fehr could have gotten rid of the salary cap, the players share to 70% and got rid of half the owners he would have signed that deal knowing that deal kills the NHL in a few years because he doesn't care. He wanted to win the negotiations and a fair deal for both sides that get's hockey back doesn't win him anything.

The same thing can be said for Bettman, know he cares more about hockey then Fehr but once Fehr was brought in and stated negotiating the way he was it got personal for Bettman and there was no way Bettman was going to let Fehr get the upper hand in any way. Unless the deal was viewed as a win for the owners and the Bettman beat Fehr he wasn't signing a deal that could be viewed as even a possible slight win for Fehr. Their egos became more important then the people they represent and the sport their working for.

The same thing happened in the NBA lockout, it's why the NBAPA, decertified so they could represent themselves and 15 hours later a deal was done. Often times when you get someone to represent you they still have their own agendas and ideals at hand and want to get those across as well as your message. I had a feeling once the people truly effected by this, and the people who want to get back to hockey started representing themselves a deal could be done.

The players and owners will agree to a deal that would be fair for both sides where neither sides wins or loses that neither Fehr or Bettman would agree to because they wouldn't come off looking like the victor and have beaten the other side.

@HAWKAHOLIC ???

Old
12-05-2012, 07:19 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
/\ Ya right.
How else do you explain that all of the sudden owners are willing to bend on contractual rights? Bettman wants you to believe its because Fehr isn't there....hook line and sinker.

Old
12-05-2012, 07:26 PM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
How else do you explain that all of the sudden owners are willing to bend on contractual rights? Bettman wants you to believe its because Fehr isn't there....hook line and sinker.
Who says then broke on contractual rights? Maybe they just tweeked it, maybe instead of 5 years it 7 years. There is no word on what the rights are or aren't you just assumed something then used crazy logic to come up with some crazy conclusion.

SAVE $100s millions? They lost that, the players taking a less share was always going to be part of this current CBA, if you think the owners wouldn't have signed the deal they eventually sign in the future months ago to avoid the lockout then your crazy.

Closed Thread