HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Mika Zibanejad is the real deal.

Closed Thread

Old
12-05-2012, 01:52 PM
Jp20

vCash: 500
anyone who says that zibanejad has never put ppg in any league.. well your wrong playing for his country as a international-jr he has 1.19 ppg he layed 48 games for sweden and scored 57 points for them 30-27.

and also playing in J18 allsvenskan he had 1.07 ppg 14G 6G 9A 15P
J18 Elit 27G 13G 16A 29P for a 1.07 ppg.

those two stats were from the same year and he still produced ppg in a supposedly "harder league" from the jr. Allsvenskan to JR. Elit

Old
12-05-2012, 04:32 PM
source

Holmes, I think he's right. No point in living if we can't get excited about Sens prospects who probably won't meet Xspyrit's expectations.

Old
12-05-2012, 06:07 PM
Icelevel
little bit better

Djurgården-Elitserien 26 5 8 13 4 -2

Brynäs------Elitserien 48 8 8 16 4 6

Old
12-05-2012, 06:20 PM
N Bahn Ahden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jp20 View Post
anyone who says that zibanejad has never put ppg in any league.. well your wrong playing for his country as a international-jr he has 1.19 ppg he layed 48 games for sweden and scored 57 points for them 30-27.

and also playing in J18 allsvenskan he had 1.07 ppg 14G 6G 9A 15P
J18 Elit 27G 13G 16A 29P for a 1.07 ppg.

those two stats were from the same year and he still produced ppg in a supposedly "harder league" from the jr. Allsvenskan to JR. Elit
At those lesser levels you expect a top offensive prospect to be producing more than that. Look at the league leaders in points at that level.

To take your J18 stats for example, look at the league leaders from that year. Look at their names, and the PPG.
http://www.eliteprospects.com/league...name=&order=TP

If you want to talk up Zibanejad as a prospect, numbers are not the way to do it.

Old
12-05-2012, 06:29 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

vCash: 50
I'm still astonished by how many people are bringing up Zibanejad as a player they are disappointed in.

He recorded 5 points, 4 games in 6 games last year in the WJC in what was considered a weak showing. Yet still racked 5 points and the all important enormous, NHL level play to score the winner in overtime. How come I do not see this as being addressed to show the positives of Zibanejad.

Say what you will but I like Zibanejad now more than I did when he was drafted. Is everyone else forgetting last season how well he performed in pre-season? Here's a demonstration of his pose and "soft hands that he lacks."

I don't need to go any further in his only goal in the A this year when he shot it through his legs.

People saying Zibanejad never performed well offensively, 13 points in 26 games for the minutes he got in the situation he was in is amazing. Also, how come I'm not hearing about his 4 goals and 6 points in 10 game performance in the relegation round?

Looooooooooool, come on, be consistent with your arguments. I know Holmes loves to indicate his lack of scoring which is a joke of an argument when looking at the facts.

His 9 points in 26 games in the SEL during his draft year is what primarily made him rocket that high getting such little minutes yet he was spectacular at all ends of the ice. Plus, he DOMINATED the U-17's and u'18's.

Zibanejad has an unbelievable motor and the guy was always clutch, that's what separates him from everyone else. Those are winning traits and personalities you WANT on your team come grind time even IF he pans out only as a 3rd liner, a role he is already capable in playing, imo.

Old
12-05-2012, 06:33 PM
sg58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelevel View Post
Djurgården-Elitserien 26 5 8 13 4 -2

Brynäs------Elitserien 48 8 8 16 4 6
Brynäs---49 24 30 54 MVP+MVP

I don't see what the point of this is? Why not throw in Alfie's teenage stats as well?

Sure, Zibanejad at 18 was having more of an impact than Silfverberg at the same age, but Silfverberg's development since has been rapid in an upwards direction.

Old
12-05-2012, 06:39 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffeG View Post
Brynäs---49 24 30 54 MVP+MVP

I don't see what the point of this is? Why not throw in Alfie's teenage stats as well?

Sure, Zibanejad at 18 was having more of an impact than Silfverberg at the same age, but Silfverberg's development since has been rapid in an upwards direction.
Perhaps the point is that a player that didn't dominate at 19 did develop markedly, to say the least, in the following couple years of his career. Silfverberg developed extremely well, if ZIbanejad develops on a lesser level, he's probably gonna turn into a pretty solid NHLer and a nice pick compared to most 6th overalls.

It shows how griping about a pick and ripping up his future at 19 is just silly.

It's normal for 19 year olds to get a lot better as they age and mature physically...and gain experience. If he develops on the level that Silf did, which shouldn't be expected, he'll be a better player.

Old
12-05-2012, 06:44 PM
sg58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Perhaps the point is that a player that didn't dominate at 19 did develop markedly, to say the least, in the following couple years of his career. Silfverberg developed extremely well, if ZIbanejad develops on a lesser level, he's probably gonna turn into a pretty solid NHLer and a nice pick compared to most 6th overalls.

It shows how griping about a pick and ripping up his future at 19 is just silly.

It's normal for 19 year olds to get a lot better as they age and mature physically...and gain experience.
Yes, I understand that's what he was getting at, but just putting a stat line out there doesn't mean much, really. Could've put Robert Nilsson's junior year stat lines there to show that players putting up points can still bust. I don't know how that would counter the argument about Ziba never being a top scorer anywhere (except in low-level tournaments with the national team).

Old
12-05-2012, 06:46 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

vCash: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post

That PP had, Karlsson, Rundblad, Alfredsson, Zibanejad.

4 Swedes.

And Hoffman

Old
12-05-2012, 06:55 PM
John Holmes
Spuds MacLean™

vCash: 87
I didn't say that I don't want Zibanejad on the team. I'll be happy if he ends up being a 15 goal, 30-40 point guy.

Two of my favourite Senators of all time are Mike Fisher and Peter Schaefer. Fisher for his "intangibles" and Schaefer for his brains.

Neither guy racked up a whole lot of points, but you always knew when they were on the ice, and they both scored big goals (OT winners, SHG, etc...) and hopefully most of us here can remember how Schaefer won more puck battles than a guy his size ever should have.

If Zibanejad turns out like one or both of them, that's success.

If people want to project huge numbers for him...ok.

Old
12-05-2012, 07:38 PM
DylanSensFan
Walk On!

vCash: 1470
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post
With high skill guys, you almost always see it right away. Sure they take time to adjust to each level as they progress, but they almost always have a track record established.

Where is that in this case?

I just think the projections are way off.

I'm not saying that he won't ever put it together. He might. He's young, he's raw, etc. I know people like to pump up prospects. That's what fans do. It just wears a little thin when people make things up to justify their beliefs.

Lots of teams passed on Couturier, and every one of them is going to regret it, outside of the top 3.

You'd think Ottawa fans would learn, but we just can't seem to help ourselves from creating unreal and perhaps unattainable expectations for our young players.

Every year it's the same thing. Foligno is going to break out. Filatov will score 30 playing with Spezza. Butler will score 30 playing with Spezza. Regin is going to be the 2nd line C and score 50 points.

It gets old.
I think what we cannot help, is putting unreal expectations of our prospects developing more quickly than they should. Zibanejad has shown a lot of instances of skill... so I really have no idea what you're talking about with regards to him lacking it.

I am not making excuses... Go read the Silfverberg article on Sens Extra and he talks about the difficulty of adjusting to the ice surface... obviously his teammate is having the same issues.

Regarding pace of development, we did the same with Lehner... expecting him to be an NHL'r a few years ago. I know a lot on here thought he was done last season and would never be NHL ready... I recall the threads. People said about Silf a few years ago that he would not develop into anything great because of the pace of his scoring and then he made a quantum leap last season.

I'm not saying get ready for Zibanejad to be a superstar, but one thing I've been good at is seeing skill and having a little bit of intuition about players. I am no professional, but I am definitely not a fool. I say patience for all of our prospects. Stone made one excellent pass in the playoffs last season and people believe he should be in the NHL. The reality is that stats are usually measured over a longer period than shorter and that player development in any sport is not linear. There are plateaus, valleys and the like... just as the roller coaster you were talking about.

Old
12-05-2012, 07:42 PM
11Alfredsson

vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanSensFan View Post
I think what we cannot help, is putting unreal expectations of our prospects developing more quickly than they should. Zibanejad has shown a lot of instances of skill... so I really have no idea what you're talking about with regards to him lacking it.

I am not making excuses... Go read the Silfverberg article on Sens Extra and he talks about the difficulty of adjusting to the ice surface... obviously his teammate is having the same issues.

Regarding pace of development, we did the same with Lehner... expecting him to be an NHL'r a few years ago. I know a lot on here thought he was done last season and would never be NHL ready... I recall the threads. People said about Silf a few years ago that he would not develop into anything great because of the pace of his scoring and then he made a quantum leap last season.

I'm not saying get ready for Zibanejad to be a superstar, but one thing I've been good at is seeing skill and having a little bit of intuition about players. I am no professional, but I am definitely not a fool. I say patience for all of our prospects. Stone made one excellent pass in the playoffs last season and people believe he should be in the NHL. The reality is that stats are usually measured over a longer period than shorter and that player development in any sport is not linear. There are plateaus, valleys and the like... just as the roller coaster you were talking about.
Penciling our prospects into the top 6 with definite confidence before them playing even half a season of NA hockey is not being patient.

Old
12-05-2012, 07:50 PM
Ron Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post

Now that we have started to see the results of drafting under Murrray, I think they AT LEAST deserve that we give them the benefit of the doubt

Gosh look at the first two drafts :

Erik Karlsson
Patrick Wiercioch - Accomplished nothing at NHL level
Zack Smith

Andre Petersson - Accomplished nothing at NHL level
Derek Grant - Accomplished nothing at NHL level
Mark Borowiecki
- Accomplished nothing at NHL level
Emil Sandin - Accomplished nothing at NHL level
Jared Cowen
Jakob Silfverberg - Accomplished nothing at NHL level
Robin Lehner
- Accomplished nothing at NHL level
Chris Wideman - Accomplished nothing at NHL level
Mike Hoffman - Accomplished nothing at NHL level
Jeff Costello - Accomplished nothing at NHL level
Corey Cowick - Accomplished nothing at NHL level
Brad Peltz - Accomplished nothing at NHL level
Michael Sdao - Accomplished nothing at NHL level

I see at least 7 NHL players there and some are/will be very good ones... And we didn't have top-5 picks, only a 18th and 9th overall pick

Now I gotta get back to reality and try to help people with their lives. Have a great day all and appreciate life while it lasts!

Oops... Ok no, it was more to ADD to your post. It wasn't necessarily directed to you
See above

Old
12-05-2012, 07:51 PM
JD1

ZBad might end up being a good NHLer.

Silfverberg might end up being a good NHLer.

Stone might end up being a good NHLer.

Anyone saying that they definitively know one way or the other is really kind of making a fool of themselves because the future cannot be predicted.

The truth is that none of the 3 have 100 point absolutely can't miss potential yet all could have pretty damn good careers. I think we all know what we are hoping for but we don't know and neither do the Senators.

Old
12-05-2012, 07:52 PM
QuietOnTheFront
@QuietOnTheFront

Listen to what Ferraro says at 1:38 of this clip. "the best Swedish player in the back half of the game was Mika Zibanejad.."

That's the type of player you look for when you draft. That's the type of player that wins you Stanley Cups. As the desperation increases and the intensity goes through the roof, a player that thrives and stands out is gold. A player who shines brightest when the game is on the line.

This was Couturier's biggest knock in 2011. That he wasn't a big game player. That he packed it up in the playoffs and didn't have that moxy. That is why we passed on him and took this type of player.

One day Zibby will win us a cup, and everyone will shut up.

Old
12-05-2012, 08:02 PM
11Alfredsson

vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietOnTheFront View Post

Listen to what Ferraro says at 1:38 of this clip. "the best Swedish player in the back half of the game was Mika Zibanejad.."

That's the type of player you look for when you draft. That's the type of player that wins you Stanley Cups. As the desperation increases and the intensity goes through the roof, a player that thrives and stands out is gold. A player who shines brightest when the game is on the line.

This was Couturier's biggest knock in 2011. That he wasn't a big game player. That he packed it up in the playoffs and didn't have that moxy. That is why we passed on him and took this type of player.

That's great and all but lets see this on a more consistent basis

Old
12-05-2012, 08:17 PM
enviro61

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietOnTheFront View Post

In the spirit of MNF, comeon man. Finding an announcer or hockey analyst gushing over a prospect, any prospect is not post worthy. God damn...seriously? I have no comment on Zibby either way yet but sometimes Sens fans are so desperate to praise a prospect that have no idea how skewed their perspective is.

Old
12-05-2012, 08:19 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

vCash: 265
This thread is over the 1k limit.

Lazy mods.

Old
12-05-2012, 08:20 PM
source

Closed Thread