Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > WHL

2013 WHL Bantam Draft

Old
12-02-2012, 07:09 PM
timekeep

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitals03 View Post
Whom do you Scout for ? Asked before and did not get a answer. It would help your credit ability
What? Who are you? Since when do you need to name yourself on this board? Credit ability? Who has that on here?

A little off-side there fellow.

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 07:30 PM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoutingBC View Post
Okay, time for my post-Medicine Hat revisions.
Not every player I’ll discuss was at that event, it just serves as a useful point in time to re-assess and re-jig my rankings.
As usual, I’ll rank 15 Forwards, 10 D-men, and 5 Goalies. (There’s just no point going any deeper.) And I’ll try to offer an intelligent word or two about each.

FORWARDS
1. Tyson Jost, POE. I think everyone is catching on about this player’s ability. Coaches Choice Award winner in the Hat.
2. Dante Hanoun, NSWC. Tremendous skill and intensity. A small-ish player with skill AND a physical edge … Gilbert Brule type?
3. Kody McDonald, POE. Has a wicked-quick release, good size, and plays very smart.
4. Jaeger White. Has definitely earned the rep of a pure goal-scorer. Still have questions about his vulnerability to physical play though.
5. Luke Gingras, Langley. Nice package of size and skill. A very strong future prospect, but hasn’t yet shown as well as I had expected.
6. Beck Malenstyn, OHA. This is a big move up on my F-chart. Has been the offensive heart of an OHA team that succeeds on solid Defensive play and Goaltending.
7. Tak Anholt, NSWC. Has shown more versatility than I’d noted before. Responsible two-way skill player.
8. Jake Kryski, BWC. Definitely has the hands but often over-handles the puck and fails to use other players.
9. Nathan McCarnan, Vcr Spirit. A rugged sniper who plays with speed and a physical edge. Hopefully we can see him against Flight 2 teams for the last half of the season.
10. Michael Regush, Semiahmoo. Needs to add some strength and some sandpaper, but his vision is unreal. The kind of player who makes linemates better.
11. Davis Koch, OHA. I’ve seen some impressive games, but others where he shows more potential than production. Has a tendency to play to the outside, needs to add grit.
12. Trevor Ayre, POE. Has been hampered by injuries, but all the essentials are there. Smart, responsible F who can distribute the puck and score when he gets a look.
13. Spencer Gerth, Langley. Big, strong young man who gives his all every shift. Needs to add quickness in the first strides.
14. Kyle Uy, BWC. Good straight-ahead speed. Good on the PK. Discipline is an issue, but that comes with the territory for agitating, aggressive players.
15. Owen Seidel, BWC. Has lots of skill but needs more drive-to-the-net in his game.

I'll post D-Men and 'Keepers shortly.
Great assessment of White as the season goes on. McCarnan's team is now 5-2 with a game against Abbotsford before heading to Las Vegas for the Silver Stick tournament. I would assume that the teams struggling in flight 2 will come down (Cloverdale, North Vancouver, North Delta) and Port Moody (who is a lot stronger than people think and have some strong D who should be looked at), Vancouver and Hollyburn should be pushed up in January.

Coach Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 07:37 PM
Rocko604
Let's Go Bruins

If the Giants were to make the first overall selection tomorrow, who would they take? Or is it still too soon to make such a prediction?

At this point I don't know if they'd be going with a forward or D-man, they need scoring help but they like having a big, hard-nosed defenseman, something they're lacking as well.

Rocko604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 09:23 PM
Alberta tough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko604 View Post
If the Giants were to make the first overall selection tomorrow, who would they take? Or is it still too soon to make such a prediction?

At this point I don't know if they'd be going with a forward or D-man, they need scoring help but they like having a big, hard-nosed defenseman, something they're lacking as well.
likely forward Tyler Benson. There are some vey good dmen aswell.

Alberta tough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 08:01 PM
cawthorn35
Rookie User

Spring Hockey

I played aginst Jost,Gingras,Uy and Mcarnan in spring this is what i thought of the gingras is a talented guy that isen't afraid to go to the dirty areas,jost is fast but he doesn't have the best hand,Mcarnan is a big strong big hitter with a great shot,Uy has size and is just an all round good player

cawthorn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 08:16 AM
T5500

On the goalie front, where does Ryan Edquist (USA) rank in the draft.....thought he was in the mix.

Maybe you are only talking/ranking Canadian goalies.......

Quote:
I would definitely not rank Shugrue as “the” top-ranked goalie in BC, if only because there is not a clear #1 ’98 goalie prospect in BC. He would make my list of the top five goalie prospects, which is (in alphabetical order):

Josh Barrett
Jeremy Kelleway
Tyler Shugrue
Nic Tallarico
Brody Wilms

Barrett has the best size and athleticism in this group. A tremendous work ethic, quick legs and is unflappable in tight games. Looking long term I suspect he has the best potential for future development. If Jordan Sigalet can further tighten his fundamentals he should be a good mid-round pick.

Kelleway’s development has really tapered off in the last year and he seems to have zero commitment to fitness (those two observations are probably connected). Without better fitness and a growth spurt this season the likelihood of him being drafted is slim at best ... lesser talents with better size will surely be taken ahead of him. I’d have to put him at #5 on my list.

(NOTE: Both Barrett and Kelleway are in Semiahmoo this year, which gives them great strength in goal. But it won’t be enough to overcome Semi's complete lack of defence and extremely limited offense – Michael Regush IS a stud, but can’t be expected to carry the whole squad.)

Shugrue runs hot and cold based on what I’ve seen, which is often typical of those who play an unorthodox style. Mental toughness is a real question too. When he is “on” he’s as good as anyone on this list, but his consistency needs to improve … and it’s probably why he played so few games for BWC last season. He'll get plenty of exposure on the Winter Club team and will be worth taking a flyer on, but I wouldn't risk a high pick.

Tallarico is the most technically sound of this group. Thoroughly trained. But there’s obviously more to goaltending than technical proficiency, and it shows up in his results against top squads who exploit his lack of size and inability to cover the net in scrums and crease-play. If only he were 6 inches taller ... wow!

Wilms has gone to OHA this season (along with some other strong skaters from the Lower Mainland) and he gives them a real boost in net. He’s a steady performer with a solid work ethic and the extra “Love” (Tyler Love is OHA’s Goalie coach) he gets at OHA will only improve his chances of being drafted.

I'll try to address Forwards and D-men later.

T5500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 12:25 PM
SaskFan19
Rookie User

Sask Bantam AA Prospects

BRANDON LESKO- #14 for the Battleford Barons, brandon is a great skater with that natural scoring touch. A Very hard worker and team player. Would be a great choice for any team.

RYAN WALCHUK - #2 for the Humbolt Broncos, BIG boy standing at 6'1. Has speed aswell, Ryan is a winger that is always finishing his checks. Also he is a great playmaker, passes are always tape-to-tape. If he works on his leg strength and skating he could potentionally be a Draft Pick. Probably one of the most underrated players in the leauge.

JUSTEN CLOSE - #1 for the West Central Wheat Kings, A butterfly Goalie with and incredible style of play. Makes the big saves when his team needs it! Justen has a great glove and doesnt allow many pucks get past him. Could possibly be a high draft pick if he continues his play throughout the season.

MARIAL BENY - #14 for the Melville Millionairs, Beny can be a Draft Pick if he keeps doing the little things right that he has been doing all year. He will block a shot, take a hit or anything else for his teams success. He also brings his size and playmaking ability into every game.

COLE YOUNG - Saskatoon Frostbite, with Midget AAA experience already Cole is a strong forward who uses his strength to outman oponents. He is a goal scorer but can also dish the puck to teammates with ease. Could be a strong pick in the Draft.

Last edited by SaskFan19: 12-17-2012 at 06:12 PM. Reason: ** Updated Account
SaskFan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 06:47 PM
Sammy DMan

2013 Bantam Draft WHL - Winnipeg Warriors

With several notable exceptions, Manitoba 98's are not looking particularly strong. For the Winnipeg Warriors AAA Bantam there are two 2013 bantam draft dark horses: Ausley Friesen and Kelton Sutherland.

Friesen is a solid, stay at home D, has good hockey smarts and shoots hard. Friesen has the size and intensity the WHL looks for in a D but he needs to generate some offence.

Sutherland is a crafty winger with good hands and decent speed. He drives hard, reads the play well and comes with a good hockey pedigree. Sutherland should dominate as he matures.

I will weigh in a little later on 2013 bantam draft dark horses from two other Winnipeg AAA teams - the Sharks and the Monarchs.

SDM

Sammy DMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 10:02 AM
MBScout

2013 Bantam Draft WHL - Winnipeg Warriors

Compared to an average year, more 98 Manitobans have the opportunity to be drafted high and more kids will be drafted in the first 3 rounds than in recent history, so I believe this is an exceptional year for Manitoba talent.

When you are talking dark horses, you must be talking really dark. Freisen is a big strong kid but has very heavy feet and has trouble turning and keeping up with what is coming at him. Sutherland is a bundle of energy and plays the game hard. I don't believe he has the hands you speak of and tends to run out of position in an attempt the make a hit. It will be interesting to see if he can dominate at any level.

I am looking forward to your analysis of the other teams.

MBScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 03:02 PM
Sammy DMan

The Winnipeg AAA Monarchs Bantam are certainly a talented team and they have a top rounder in Dylan Thiessen. Contrary to popular opinion though, as far as other dominant skaters on that team that will be drafted high - Thiessen is essentially the Monarchs one-trick pony. Certainly some talk of their big goalie Hall, but the real dark horse on this team is the Monarchs other netminder, Stijn Demare. Demare is a natural athlete and another big kid. He has recently hit his stride, into a good rhythm and putting in consistent, solid performances. He's being actively scouted and I expect he will draft high.

Sammy DMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 04:03 PM
dumpitandchaseit

Manitoba Draft Class

I gotta say that I agree with MB Scout a lot more in his assessment of talent in Manitoba. There are at least 2 - 98's playing who have age advanced into AAA Midget who will most likely go in the first round ( if history repeats itself as it has in the past with bantams who age advanced into AAA Provincial Midget ) There is also, at least 1 more 98 Wpg player who will undoubtedly go in the first round with 1 or 2 more possible. Also, a strong contingent of players will go btw the 3rd and 7th round. I don't know if / when Manitoba ever had 3 first round selections in the WHL Draft. I would think this may be the strongest draft for Manitoba in a long time.

dumpitandchaseit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 05:59 PM
MBScout

2013 Bantam Draft WHL - Winnipeg Monarchs

I thought we were talkin dark horses. Theissen is a quality kid who plays both ends of the ice and is far from a dark horse. Martin is another highly ranked forward that plays the game with speed and skill unmatched on this team. Both players make the players around them better. Dark horses such as Curtis and Jackish are both strong kids who can play rugged and have some scoring touch. Goaltending is still a question mainly due to lack of consistancy. You never know what you are going to get each night and it will be interesting to see which tender is going to be the go to guy down the stretch, as this team has an opportunity to represent MB at Westerns if the goaltending holds up.

MBScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 06:13 AM
ScoutingBC

Been out of action for a while, getting some repair work done. But I’m well enough to type, and promised to follow up on a goalie who plays for BWC A2. This might be a tad lengthy, but a good little read I think … and just one of the many great little stories that usually remains untold each year. Here goes.
The Grandview Steelers play Sunday afternoon home games at BWC. As it happens, BWC’s Bantam A2 team plays their home games immediately beforehand. On one occasion I was early enough for the Steelers that I saw the last two periods of play for the bantam squad. I recognized the BWC goalie had good size (turns out he’s 5’ 11”, maybe 6-ft), but assumed his movement would be slow or his technique would be clumsy. After all, this was the A2 team right?
Well, neither was true. His play was rock solid throughout. He was technically sound and athletically dynamic in the scrambles. I was intrigued, so I asked a few questions. Turned out to be Josh Barrett, a boy our Goalie Coach had told me about in early summer. More on that in a minute.
Anyway, the next Steelers game I came extra early and watched the whole A2 contest. It was another sparkler for Barrett, allowing just one goal on 34 shots and looking completely at ease and in control of himself. A couple weeks later I watched him post a 40-save shutout in a game his team had no business winning. I was keen to see if he could sustain that level of play, but I couldn’t get to his next game myself so I asked the Coach of the opposing team for his thoughts on Barrett’s performance … yet another shutout, on 31 saves.
Now, here comes the kicker. As I said, I only became aware of this goalie this past summer. Our goalie coach had worked with him in some camps and was very impressed, gave him high marks on his technical work, and especially praised his athleticism and work ethic. But the kid wasn’t on my radar at all, so I wanted to learn where he played his first year of Bantam. Turns out he didn’t play minor hockey at all last year! He was diagnosed with Osgood-Schlatter’s disease, a painful bone condition that affects the area just below the knee. (I’ve heard Ryan Kesler talk about having had the same condition at about the same age … it almost caused him to give up hockey completely.) Josh’s Dad has told me he’s mostly outgrown the problem now, but still has to ice his shins after practices to ease the pain.
Think about that. Every time the kid drops to a butterfly, it hurts. Pushing himself back up hurts too. When I shared this little detail with our Goalie Coach, he was stunned. In the weeks of training with Josh he had never heard him complain about, or even mention, his condition.
In any case, neither of us can figure out why Josh isn’t on the A1 team. Did he come too late to the party? Is he from the wrong tribe? ;-) What?
I’ve always respected John Batchelor as a Coach, but when I get a chance I’ll have to put the question to him: Why is BWC’s best goalie on their A2 team?

ScoutingBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 06:19 AM
ScoutingBC

Remember folks, this is just one story. There are lots of others. Stories of youngsters who are struggling through – and overcoming – major personal obstacles … lack of money maybe, or parents splitting up, or medical conditions. It’s easily the most compelling information we uncover, and can give tremendous insight into the character of the young athlete.
Cheers!

Old
01-07-2013, 07:22 PM
westbanthock

Quote:
Been out of action for a while, getting some repair work done. But I’m well enough to type, and promised to follow up on a goalie who plays for BWC A2. This might be a tad lengthy, but a good little read I think … and just one of the many great little stories that usually remains untold each year. Here goes.
The Grandview Steelers play Sunday afternoon home games at BWC. As it happens, BWC’s Bantam A2 team plays their home games immediately beforehand. On one occasion I was early enough for the Steelers that I saw the last two periods of play for the bantam squad. I recognized the BWC goalie had good size (turns out he’s 5’ 11”, maybe 6-ft), but assumed his movement would be slow or his technique would be clumsy. After all, this was the A2 team right?
Well, neither was true. His play was rock solid throughout. He was technically sound and athletically dynamic in the scrambles. I was intrigued, so I asked a few questions. Turned out to be Josh Barrett, a boy our Goalie Coach had told me about in early summer. More on that in a minute.
Anyway, the next Steelers game I came extra early and watched the whole A2 contest. It was another sparkler for Barrett, allowing just one goal on 34 shots and looking completely at ease and in control of himself. A couple weeks later I watched him post a 40-save shutout in a game his team had no business winning. I was keen to see if he could sustain that level of play, but I couldn’t get to his next game myself so I asked the Coach of the opposing team for his thoughts on Barrett’s performance … yet another shutout, on 31 saves.
Now, here comes the kicker. As I said, I only became aware of this goalie this past summer. Our goalie coach had worked with him in some camps and was very impressed, gave him high marks on his technical work, and especially praised his athleticism and work ethic. But the kid wasn’t on my radar at all, so I wanted to learn where he played his first year of Bantam. Turns out he didn’t play minor hockey at all last year! He was diagnosed with Osgood-Schlatter’s disease, a painful bone condition that affects the area just below the knee. (I’ve heard Ryan Kesler talk about having had the same condition at about the same age … it almost caused him to give up hockey completely.) Josh’s Dad has told me he’s mostly outgrown the problem now, but still has to ice his shins after practices to ease the pain.
Think about that. Every time the kid drops to a butterfly, it hurts. Pushing himself back up hurts too. When I shared this little detail with our Goalie Coach, he was stunned. In the weeks of training with Josh he had never heard him complain about, or even mention, his condition.
In any case, neither of us can figure out why Josh isn’t on the A1 team. Did he come too late to the party? Is he from the wrong tribe? ;-) What?
I’ve always respected John Batchelor as a Coach, but when I get a chance I’ll have to put the question to him: Why is BWC’s best goalie on their A2 team?
Reality is often hard for parents to grasp and understand at this age group.

Reading the above post you would have to wonder why someone who is a scout who has discovered this hidden gem would go on any site and draw any attention to what this individual percieves as the best BWC goalie.

There is a huge difference between Tier One and Tier 2, and there is a huge difference between Tier One and playing in tournamnets is Alberta.

You would have to think that the goaile in question was not good enough in tryouts.

Good for him for playing well in tier 2.

Just imagine that a team that has allowed 4 goals in 12 games, 11 goals in 20 league/tiering games gave everyone a chance by cutting the best goalie.

In reality the kid is playing where he should be and at the level he should be at.

westbanthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:25 PM
justahockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by westbanthock View Post
Reality is often hard for parents to grasp and understand at this age group.

Reading the above post you would have to wonder why someone who is a scout who has discovered this hidden gem would go on any site and draw any attention to what this individual percieves as the best BWC goalie.

There is a huge difference between Tier One and Tier 2, and there is a huge difference between Tier One and playing in tournamnets is Alberta.

You would have to think that the goaile in question was not good enough in tryouts.

Good for him for playing well in tier 2.

Just imagine that a team that has allowed 4 goals in 12 games, 11 goals in 20 league/tiering games gave everyone a chance by cutting the best goalie.

In reality the kid is playing where he should be and at the level he should be at.

Bottom line is that these kids are 14 years old (IMO still to young for a draft) and most just wont be the same player at 17.....only a handful will pass the test of time.
The only good thing about the draft is that you are religated to a team until someone decides wether or not you have become the player they forcasted you to be. Then they either keep you, trade you, or drop you all together. Thats the reality!

justahockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 07:37 PM
Billybaroo*

Quote:
I dont think that a kids Dad should make numerous posts about his son on a public website.
Call me crazy, but its kinda pathetic.

Billybaroo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 10:07 PM
ScoutingBC

Got lots of time to type these days, so I’ll take the opportunity to let parents know something they might not be aware of …
There are Scouts who genuinely, sincerely want the best for young athletes. In other words, many of us actually do this for the players, not the club who’s jacket we wear. That may sound odd at first, so give me a few bars to try to explain.
The first thing you need to understand is this: we don’t get paid much. Any Scout reading this is laughing right now, cuz that jacket I mentioned a minute ago is damn near the sum total of his pay :-). So we sure as heck don’t do it for the money.
Why do we do it?
Some do it for the “cool” factor (mostly the younger guys), or to help their chances of getting that A1 Coaching gig they covet, or to help draw paying customers to their Spring programs. But there are some of us (mostly the older guys) who sincerely do it to help those players who are chasing-the-dream with all their heart and soul. Sounds corny, I know, but that’s the fact.
Now, maybe the “dream” a kid is chasing is a scolly, or the dub, or the Pros, or sometimes it’s merely to make a Jr B roster somewhere. Anywhere. But they’re giving it their all. And those are the boys we want to see get the opportunity they deserve. Maybe that opportunity is a look from a BCHL club, or a Jr B squad in remote parts. We really want to help deserving young athletes, whether or not that helps a WHL club.
You see, the cool factor has long since worn off on me. So have the politics and parental silliness of minor hockey. What hasn’t worn off is the enthusiasm in a young man’s eyes when he gets to the rink and is absolutely pumped to be his best self on the ice. The young man who will find a way, somehow, to get to a 6AM ice time on a Sunday morning in Summer because he believes it will help his development. THAT is still very cool to me. And if I can help boys like that navigate a path that helps them achieve their potential, whatever that means … well, that is something I can take to the grave.
Seriously, there’s a local WHL Scout I know (better not name him, cuz he’d hate it) who spends countless hours trying to help young players whom he respects find a spot somewhere that will help advance their game, to play at the next level up for them. This Scout will twist the ears of Jr B Coaches from Aldergrove to Wainwright. He expends tremendous energy helping hockey players who will never play for the club who’s jacket he wears. He does what he does for the player.
And there’s a BCHL guy who does a better job of advising players and families than any of the so-called professional Advisors I’ve encountered; and he not only doesn’t charge the families a penny for his expertise, he doesn’t get paid by his Jr A club for doing it either. He does what he does for the player.
Last point. To my way of thinking there are lots of “gems” out there. Some are the next RNH, but everyone already knows about those few players. Others are the next 5th D-man for the Richmond Sockeyes, but they are self-motivated, self-disciplined and really care about playing the game at the highest level they can achieve. That player is also a gem in my book, and I do NOT want to keep that player a secret. On the contrary, I want everyone who can help him know exactly who he is.

Old
01-09-2013, 03:35 PM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by cawthorn35 View Post
I played aginst Jost,Gingras,Uy and Mcarnan in spring this is what i thought of the gingras is a talented guy that isen't afraid to go to the dirty areas,jost is fast but he doesn't have the best hand,Mcarnan is a big strong big hitter with a great shot,Uy has size and is just an all round good player
Thanks for your input!

I can tell you that the Vancouver Midget team called up Nathan McCarnan to play in the Richmond Christmas tournament and he scored 4 goals and an assist in 5 games. Pretty impressive for a bantam player up with the midgets.

To follow up with your hitting comment, he was also on the giving end of some of the tournaments biggest hits. This is the first time where he is physially matched against other palyers and not getting roughing penalties for his hits because they tend to look devastating (a majority of the bantam players fall into the 100-130 weight range where Nathan is close to 180).

I think it's safe to say that his Spring experience with the Millionaires (the stacked team with most of the top ten B.C. players on it that he plays for annually) has allowed the scouts to know exactly what he brings to the table and tuck his draft into their back pocket.

Calgary Hitmen continue to come see him play but I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple more if any were at that Midget tournament.

Old
01-09-2013, 03:48 PM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Quote:
Got lots of time to type these days, so I’ll take the opportunity to let parents know something they might not be aware of …
There are Scouts who genuinely, sincerely want the best for young athletes. In other words, many of us actually do this for the players, not the club who’s jacket we wear. That may sound odd at first, so give me a few bars to try to explain.
The first thing you need to understand is this: we don’t get paid much. Any Scout reading this is laughing right now, cuz that jacket I mentioned a minute ago is damn near the sum total of his pay :-). So we sure as heck don’t do it for the money.
Why do we do it?
Some do it for the “cool” factor (mostly the younger guys), or to help their chances of getting that A1 Coaching gig they covet, or to help draw paying customers to their Spring programs. But there are some of us (mostly the older guys) who sincerely do it to help those players who are chasing-the-dream with all their heart and soul. Sounds corny, I know, but that’s the fact.
Now, maybe the “dream” a kid is chasing is a scolly, or the dub, or the Pros, or sometimes it’s merely to make a Jr B roster somewhere. Anywhere. But they’re giving it their all. And those are the boys we want to see get the opportunity they deserve. Maybe that opportunity is a look from a BCHL club, or a Jr B squad in remote parts. We really want to help deserving young athletes, whether or not that helps a WHL club.
You see, the cool factor has long since worn off on me. So have the politics and parental silliness of minor hockey. What hasn’t worn off is the enthusiasm in a young man’s eyes when he gets to the rink and is absolutely pumped to be his best self on the ice. The young man who will find a way, somehow, to get to a 6AM ice time on a Sunday morning in Summer because he believes it will help his development. THAT is still very cool to me. And if I can help boys like that navigate a path that helps them achieve their potential, whatever that means … well, that is something I can take to the grave.
Seriously, there’s a local WHL Scout I know (better not name him, cuz he’d hate it) who spends countless hours trying to help young players whom he respects find a spot somewhere that will help advance their game, to play at the next level up for them. This Scout will twist the ears of Jr B Coaches from Aldergrove to Wainwright. He expends tremendous energy helping hockey players who will never play for the club who’s jacket he wears. He does what he does for the player.
And there’s a BCHL guy who does a better job of advising players and families than any of the so-called professional Advisors I’ve encountered; and he not only doesn’t charge the families a penny for his expertise, he doesn’t get paid by his Jr A club for doing it either. He does what he does for the player.
Last point. To my way of thinking there are lots of “gems” out there. Some are the next RNH, but everyone already knows about those few players. Others are the next 5th D-man for the Richmond Sockeyes, but they are self-motivated, self-disciplined and really care about playing the game at the highest level they can achieve. That player is also a gem in my book, and I do NOT want to keep that player a secret. On the contrary, I want everyone who can help him know exactly who he is.
Very well said and I can say honestly that you hit the nail on the head when it comes to being involved in minor/junior hockey.

I myself had three players that were standouts last year, one of which should have been drafted. One of my best friends works in management for an NHL team so after the season ended, him and I met with their families and gave them a series of options moving forward. Then the both of us spoke to anyone we could about these boys.

The result: The top one was invited to 5 WHL camps and was able to choose which one to go to (rather than being drafted and only being able to go to one) while the other two we brought down to the US for the select 15 camps. This year they made the top 36 and are competing this month in Wenatachee to make the top 9 and go down to San Jose in April!

In short, a lot of the time when great kids are on associations that aren't in the first flight it is people like the guys you mentioned above that give the boys that I see each year a shot. All three are making the most of it and the most talented one of of all of them (McCarnan) will hopefully be rewarded for all his hard work and the work that others have put in to ensure he gets his chance to shine.

Old
01-10-2013, 07:18 PM
ScoutingBC

I'll agree with CoachParker on Nathan McCarnan.
It doesn't matter in the slightest to me that he's playing in tier 3. Pretty sure I've posted this before, but I have Nathan among my Top 10 BC Forwards (even if just barely).

Old
01-10-2013, 07:28 PM
ScoutingBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by T5500 View Post
On the goalie front, where does Ryan Edquist (USA) rank in the draft.....thought he was in the mix.

Maybe you are only talking/ranking Canadian goalies.......
Apologies to you T5500. I didn't notice your question to me before. I really only have insight/info on BC athletes. Only time I've seen any USA teams this season was during the Super Series at BWC, and apart from one goalie from San Jose I thought all the USA keepers were relatively weak. The LA Selects tandem seemed especially weak. But as I said, it was just a very brief look for me.

Old
01-12-2013, 05:02 PM
BaseHockey

Quote:
Sit back and watch your kid play in net. Love to see you go up to any coach and ask that one LOL

Enough with the Little House on the Prairie stories.

BaseHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 07:47 AM
lefthook

[QUOTE=SaskFan19;56393751]BRANDON LESKO- #14 for the Battleford Barons, brandon is a great skater with that natural scoring touch. A Very hard worker and team player. Would be a great choice for any team.

RYAN WALCHUK - #2 for the Humbolt Broncos, BIG boy standing at 6'1. Has speed aswell, Ryan is a winger that is always finishing his checks. Also he is a great playmaker, passes are always tape-to-tape. If he works on his leg strength and skating he could potentionally be a Draft Pick. Probably one of the most underrated players in the leauge.

JUSTEN CLOSE - #1 for the West Central Wheat Kings, A butterfly Goalie with and incredible style of play. Makes the big saves when his team needs it! Justen has a great glove and doesnt allow many pucks get past him. Could possibly be a high draft pick if he continues his play throughout the season.

MARIAL BENY - #14 for the Melville Millionairs, Beny can be a Draft Pick if he keeps doing the little things right that he has been doing all year. He will block a shot, take a hit or anything else for his teams success. He also brings his size and playmaking ability into every game.

COLE YOUNG - Saskatoon Frostbite, with Midget AAA experience already Cole is a strong forward who uses his strength to outman oponents. He is a goal scorer but can also dish the puck to teammates with ease. Could be a strong pick in the Draft.[/QUO

I would agree with some of this but some key points are missing !
Lesko - very good hands and great skating - scared stiff of the corners !
Beny - Big kid with good hands - also scared of body contact ! disappears in tough games
Young- probably one of saskatoons top kids , not scared of anything - has a tough time passing the puck ! likes to do everything himself - once he figures that out he will be strong - very similar style to Borstmayer from NE ( another kid that needs to learn to pass the puck ) but is very strong and not scared of anything
Walchuk- yes he is a big kid other than that is not skilled enough or fast enough to play the next level ?

lefthook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 03:02 PM
Capitals03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybaroo View Post
I dont think that a kids Dad should make numerous posts about his son on a public website.
Call me crazy, but its kinda pathetic.

That is why you like this goalie no one has heard of - He is your son.

Figures. Nice Marketing

Capitals03 is offline   Reply With Quote