Notices

No More Lockout Blues! - 2012 Lockout Part 2 [UPD: AGREEMENT REACHED!]

Closed Thread

Old
12-05-2012, 01:06 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

vCash: 500
I say its not just respect but also incentives. Fehr and Bettmen both have incentives from their position to "win" and get the other to concede as much as possible.

Old
12-05-2012, 01:22 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun

There was talk in BOG of possible NHL schedule IF there's a deal. One team exec said 60 games likely too much but 50-plus possible...

If its a 50-plus game season I assume all games would be within your conference.

Old
12-05-2012, 01:25 PM
Tom ServoMST3K
HF anti-tank squad

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian17 View Post
Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun

There was talk in BOG of possible NHL schedule IF there's a deal. One team exec said 60 games likely too much but 50-plus possible...

If its a 50-plus game season I assume all games would be within your conference.
That would be pretty neat I think, make the SC final really interesting

Old
12-05-2012, 01:31 PM
ps241
HFBoards Sponsor

Just heard Lawless from New York on the Rona round table and here is a recap:

Everyone’s sources (that are plugged in) are saying positive things from both camps for the 1st time since the process started.

NHL and NHLPA have cancelled the lawsuit in Quebec (Daly was scheduled to be in court in Quebec either this Friday or next Friday)

some coach's are contacting players in Europe and telling them to get back (usually a no no).

Gary said he has heard (if they get a deal done by friday) they will possibly start training camp on the December 12th or 13th, begin the season on December 20th and play a 54 or 56 game schedule. (27 or 28 home games).

edit:

PollakOnSharks 10:39am via web
One scenario RT @garylawless if deal gets done by weekend, big if, training camps could open wednesday and 56-game season would begin 12/20.

He believes someone like Mario reached out and got Burkle and Crosby together in a room (or on a call) and they were able to work through the issues, as in Burkle saying we can't give in on this (but we can on this), and Crosby saying the players can't give in on this (but would give on this), etc etc. Gary said when the smoke clears Sid and Burkle will be the Linden and Hodgkiss of this CBA. For those of you not familiar with the reference it was reported the last deal got done after Harley and Trevor sat down for a beer together. Gary also said he didn't think Sid or Burkle were puppets for Bettman or Fehr, he said they are both powerful guys and Sid has a big camp of players.

Shane Hnidy's sources were saying the same thing as Gary's and Shane added (on the prospect of a deal getting done finally) "it’s like my team is up 2-0 with a minute left and my goalie has faced 50 shots and stood on his head and nobody on our team wants to say 'Shut out' and curse the thing"

The current owners (that are in the room) are planning on staying in New York until they get a deal done or, as the boys warned, it comes off the rails.

Shane and Gary cautioned that it’s looking great but if the current group implodes the season is most likely done.

Last edited by ps241: 12-05-2012 at 02:12 PM.
Old
12-05-2012, 02:03 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 370
I hope you're happy ps, that post just my hopes up to an all-time high

Old
12-05-2012, 02:11 PM
ps241
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgsilver View Post
I hope you're happy ps, that post just my hopes up to an all-time high
Yea wpgsilver it figures that just when I got at peace with the fact we would lose the season that the two sides would find a way. Logic wise I have been on the wrong side of this thing since May.

They haven't got the ball into the end zone yet so I will keep grounded for now.

Old
12-05-2012, 02:12 PM
buggs

vCash: 2372
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Just heard Lawless from New York on the Rona round table and here is a recap:

Everyone’s sources (that are plugged in) are saying positive things from both camps for the 1st time since the process started.

NHL and NHLPA have cancelled the lawsuit in Quebec (Daly was scheduled to be in court in Quebec either this Friday or next Friday)

some coach's are contacting players in Europe and telling them to get back (usually a no no).

Gary said he has heard (if they get a deal done by friday) they will possibly start training camp on the December 13th or 14th, begin the season on December 20th and play a 54 or 56 game schedule. (27 or 28 home games)

He believes someone like Mario reached out and got Burkle and Crosby together in a room (or on a call) and they were able to work through the issues, as in Burkle saying we can't give in on this (but we can on this), and Crosby saying the players can't give in on this (but would give on this), etc etc. Gary said when the smoke clears Sid and Burkle will be the Linden and Hodgkiss of this CBA. For those of you not familiar with the reference it was reported the last deal got done after Harley and Trevor sat down for a beer together. Gary also said he didn't think Sid or Burkle were puppets for Bettman or Fehr, he said they are both powerful guys and Sid has a big camp of players.

Shane Hnidy's sources were saying the same thing as Gary's and Shane added (on the prospect of a deal getting done finally) "it’s like my team is up 2-0 with a minute left and my goalie has faced 50 shots and stood on his head and nobody on our team wants to say 'Shut out' and curse the thing"

The current owners (that are in the room) are planning on staying in New York until they get a deal done or, as the boys warned, it comes off the rails.

Shane and Gary cautioned that it’s looking great but if the current group implodes the season is most likely done.
Nice synopsis.

Only glitch I see is that NHL has to play 60+ games or thereabouts to retain 100% of sponsorship revenue. Below 60, as in the 54/56 game schedule and the NHL is looking at 75% revenue (source: official lockout thread). I can't see them giving up 25% of the revenue by missing 4-6 games.

My suspicion is we'll see whatever minimum length season is necessary for the league (and by corollary, the players) to retain 100% of that revenue. It might mean going later or shortening up the first round of the playoffs (5 game first round or shortening the periods for travel between pairs of home games) but I think they'd do it because this has all been about money all the time.

54 games would work perfectly for our season ticket group to split things up ideally so I have added skepticism there too, that would just be too easy.

Last edited by buggs: 12-05-2012 at 02:13 PM. Reason: 't
Old
12-05-2012, 02:13 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 370
Just seems like there's a lot of momentum heading in the right direction. Hopefully we get hockey soon.

Old
12-05-2012, 02:43 PM
Back in the Bigs
and lovin' it !!

guardedly optimistic, here.... 60 games would be tough, but looking at the original schedule for this year, Jets would have played 28 games prior to Dec 20.... so if they started Dec 20, they could theoretically get the remaining 54 games in by what would have been the end of the regular season on April 13....
so they could 6 more in and get a 60 game season in by running the regular season to the end of April...start the playoffs beginning of May...would that allow to squeeze in the SCF by end of June?

....still, I won't believe it until I see it....

Old
12-05-2012, 02:46 PM
ps241
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggs View Post
Nice synopsis.

Only glitch I see is that NHL has to play 60+ games or thereabouts to retain 100% of sponsorship revenue. Below 60, as in the 54/56 game schedule and the NHL is looking at 75% revenue (source: official lockout thread). I can't see them giving up 25% of the revenue by missing 4-6 games.

My suspicion is we'll see whatever minimum length season is necessary for the league (and by corollary, the players) to retain 100% of that revenue. It might mean going later or shortening up the first round of the playoffs (5 game first round or shortening the periods for travel between pairs of home games) but I think they'd do it because this has all been about money all the time.

54 games would work perfectly for our season ticket group to split things up ideally so I have added skepticism there too, that would just be too easy.
I agree they will probably work hard to get in 60 but man that would be crowded.

Old
12-05-2012, 03:51 PM
Gm0ney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back in the Bigs View Post
guardedly optimistic, here.... 60 games would be tough, but looking at the original schedule for this year, Jets would have played 28 games prior to Dec 20.... so if they started Dec 20, they could theoretically get the remaining 54 games in by what would have been the end of the regular season on April 13....
so they could 6 more in and get a 60 game season in by running the regular season to the end of April...start the playoffs beginning of May...would that allow to squeeze in the SCF by end of June?

....still, I won't believe it until I see it....
Don't forget the All-Star Break. You could add 3 games in there (it's almost a week). Add another week/3 games in April to get you to 60. Regular season ends Saturday, April 20. Playoffs begin Wednesday April 24 on an alternating day-on, day-off and the latest you'd be watching Game 7 of the Finals is June 18.

Old
12-05-2012, 04:26 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

Renaud Lavoie on RDS:

''GM's are telling their coaches to prepare for training camps because this is getting resolved.''

If it gets solved:

Training Camp around the 15th-20th.

Also talked about a 50-55 game season.

Old
12-05-2012, 04:30 PM
mondo3

If these 6 owners get it resolved, then each of those teams should get the 1st overall draft pick for the next 6 years.

Old
12-05-2012, 04:38 PM
CallADocPlease

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondo3 View Post
If these 6 owners get it resolved, then each of those teams should get the 1st overall draft pick for the next 6 years.
Starting with the Jets.

Old
12-05-2012, 05:09 PM
Winnipeg Jets
Lucky #7

vCash: 1125
Oh god, please get this crap done. I honestly didn't think this would drag on this long, I was always under the impression that it'd be a quick process but I guess I was naive.

Old
12-05-2012, 05:29 PM
GermanJetsFan
*PEW* *PEW* *PEW*

crap there go my tickets

Old
12-05-2012, 06:15 PM
sully1410

NHLPA have table an offer, the Owners are going to review it over the dinner break, and thy will re convene afterwards.

Old
12-05-2012, 06:18 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Alien Hockey Wizard

vCash: 175
Ugh.

Quote:
@TSNBobMcKenzie: RT @Real_ESPNLeBrun: Warm and fuzzy feelings from last night are gone. Things are tense heading into tonight's meeting. Pivotal session that will tell the tale

Old
12-05-2012, 06:21 PM
sully1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
Ugh.
Mother ****er. I really gotta stop telling my old lady when there could be a deal. She just tells me that there is no way there is going to be hockey.

It's all my fault guys. I did the same thing when the owners dropped to 50%.

Old
12-05-2012, 06:24 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

It doesn't necessarily mean things are bad. It just means that last night was warm and fuzzy because they were willing to meet each other and discuss.

It's tense because now they have to put those words on paper. I will continue to wait patiently.

Old
12-05-2012, 06:57 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Alien Hockey Wizard

vCash: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk View Post
It doesn't necessarily mean things are bad. It just means that last night was warm and fuzzy because they were willing to meet each other and discuss.

It's tense because now they have to put those words on paper. I will continue to wait patiently.
Agree. I think that it's tense as this is the first time in a long time that real progress / discussion has taken place, and the two sides are probably concerned about moving backwards.

Me, I'm just happy that they're really talking, and have a good mix of moderates to hardliners on both sides - if this group can come up with something, I'm sure that it will be accepted by all.

Oh, and CHL / AHL has been fun to completely absorb myself in in the meantime.

Last edited by YWGinYYZ: 12-05-2012 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Fixed Grindphone-like phone spelling. Stomachache!
Old
12-05-2012, 07:40 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

I give you guys credit

Still keeping yourselves emotionally involved in this saga.

That ship sailed months ago for me.

I have become quite apathetic about it all.

Old
12-05-2012, 07:54 PM
Jet
Stand by your man

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
I give you guys credit

Still keeping yourselves emotionally involved in this saga.

That ship sailed months ago for me.

I have become quite apathetic about it all.
Yet, here you are, in this thread, commenting about it and stuff

Seriously though, I tried to say F it! Cancel the season I don't give a ****! But for me, it's just not true. Until they full out cancel the season I will be here every day reading whatever I can and hoping. Guess I'm just a sheep. Baaahhh!

PS I know this is nothing, I was looking for a sheep and couldn't find one

12-05-2012, 08:20 PM
Jaffray15

Send a message via AIM to Jaffray15 Send a message via MSN to Jaffray15
I love hockey and just want to go to a Jets home game because the atmosphere is amazing!!!

Old
12-05-2012, 08:31 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
Yet, here you are, in this thread, commenting about it and stuff

Seriously though, I tried to say F it! Cancel the season I don't give a ****! But for me, it's just not true. Until they full out cancel the season I will be here every day reading whatever I can and hoping. Guess I'm just a sheep. Baaahhh!

PS I know this is nothing, I was looking for a sheep and couldn't find one
Just because I commented doesnt mean I care

I used care about it, all the highs and lows... But then enough was enough.

You kind of get tired of being played after a while.

Closed Thread