Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Plymouth Whalers 2012-2013 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
11-24-2012, 07:32 AM
gowhalers

vCash: 500
The first shot again... talk about letting the wind out of your sails 30 seconds in. Agree with above post, something has to be done about the goaltending. But I think a trade for a good goaltender could be tough to find as most of those teams are contenders themselves. The skaters, while I understand have to all play a defensive role, shouldn't have to be cringing at the thought of a shot at their goalie.

Old
11-24-2012, 10:11 AM
Rally Donkey

What are the restrictions on MV at the trade deadline? Any chance we could get a player from another league - say USHL or NCAA? Or is all movement from within existing OHL ranks only.

Old
11-24-2012, 12:29 PM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedwhiteandGreen View Post
What are the restrictions on MV at the trade deadline? Any chance we could get a player from another league - say USHL or NCAA? Or is all movement from within existing OHL ranks only.
Trades can only happen within the OHL. Getting a player from the NCAA or USHL could happen mid-season if a player the Whalers own the OHL rights to leaves that league, but it does not happen very often. The Whalers did get Robbie Czarnak mid-season when he quit the Unversity of Michigan a few years ago, but that was because he was not fitting in with college life, and is pretty rare.

I agree with Gowhalers that getting a goalie in a trade will be difficult. They need to find a team looking to rebuild that has a quality starting goalie to sell. That is never easy, and usually comes at a high price.

We are paying the price now for trading Patterson to Kitchener at the beginning of last season.

Old
11-24-2012, 03:36 PM
aresknights

Patterson to London?

After sitting out the first 10 or so games due to injury hes been real solid.

Old
11-29-2012, 06:48 AM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Congrats to goalie Alex Nedeljkovic on getting his first OHL victory, in OT at Erie last night. Stefan Noesen, Colin MacDonald, Austin Levi and Curtis Crombeen were all out of the lineup due to injuries.

Old
11-29-2012, 09:04 AM
Cfriss216

I liked the play of Nedeljkovic last night, I think he can be a real solid netminder in the future. Glad to see out younger guys stepping up like Zach Bratina and getting some points. Shows you what this team can do even with some top guys out of the lineup. Plus Aleardi didn't even play early in the second through the rest of the game. Apparently he was benched after the unsportsmanlike penalty that he took. And boy does Rakell have some sick hands after that quick snap shot he showed on both goals last night.

Old
12-01-2012, 07:03 AM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Alex Nedeljkovic got another start last night. This was the first time I actually have been able to see him play, and I was impressed. He positioned himself well, and was poised and calm when stopping shots and handling the puck. He left one or two juicy rebounds for his defense to cleanup, but otherwise played a fine game. You can see that he has talent -- certainly more than Mahalak. The only thing he lacks compared with Matt is experience. Hopefully Vellucci will continue to increase his number of starts as the season progresses. If Alex continues to develop, the Whalers may have another option in net for the playoffs. We certainly are not going anywhere with Mahalak between the pipes.

Stefan Noesen returned from injury with a bang, too, scoring two goals. His first goal was a beautiful move and backhand shot.

Tonight against Kitchener is teddy bear toss night. I'd love to see Nedeljkovic in goal again, but I doubt the rookie will get back to back starts, especially against a tough opponent like the Rangers.

Old
12-02-2012, 02:01 PM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Last night was a very entertaining game against Kitchener, even with the Whalers coming out on the short end in the shootout. I thought it was the best game played so far at Compuware this season. It was fast-paced game, with lots of solid hits and both teams giving maximum effort throughout the game. It was a good sized crowd, too, of over 3,400 for the Teddy Bear Toss.

Rangers goalie Franky Palazzese was probably the difference. He made several superb stops when Plymouth was really pressing hard on offense.

I was glad to see Alex Nedeljkovic get another start in net for the Whalers. He was out of position on a goal in the 2nd period (the defense also broke down on the play, letting a Ranger waltz out from behind the net), and let a breakaway goal and shootout goal through the five hole, but otherwise he looked solid and comfortable in goal. You cannot expect perfection from a 16-year old rookie.

Noesen seemed to be on a mission, flying all over the ice and delivering numerous solid checks. He also was the victim of one of the worst cases of a referee swallowing his whistle I've seen in quite awhile, getting hauled down from behind as he split the defense in the last minute of overtime. The only choice the ref had to make was two minute penalty or holding, but instead he called nothing. Criminal.

Old
12-02-2012, 04:36 PM
Cfriss216

Very entertaining game last night put on by Plymouth and Kitchener. Was glad I made the trip out to see that one. In my opinion Nedeljkovic looks beyond his years in net. Very calm in net for a 16 year old playing in his 4th OHL game. He only let in one "bad" goal in my opinion, and that was the second goal. If I remember correctly he came off his post a little to far and the ranger player turned and put it short side.

Noeson couldn't have had a better game, there was a shift in the first period where he knocked a ranger forward down, skated across the ice and absolutely flattened the other ranger defensemen. Every time he hits the ice they have a chance to score. Alex Aleardi is a treat to watch as well, easily one of the fastest players in the league. Hopefully he gets signed as a free agent by an NHL club, they'll be happy they did.

Tough loss last night but Kitchener is a good team, these two teams just might yet again meet in the playoffs this year. But the Whalers did get a point out of it. I took a friend with me who has never heard of the OHL, safe to say...he's a whaler fan now and really respects the level of play these kids bring.

Old
12-02-2012, 04:57 PM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cfriss216 View Post
Very entertaining game last night put on by Plymouth and Kitchener. Was glad I made the trip out to see that one. In my opinion Nedeljkovic looks beyond his years in net. Very calm in net for a 16 year old playing in his 4th OHL game. He only let in one "bad" goal in my opinion, and that was the second goal. If I remember correctly he came off his post a little to far and the ranger player turned and put it short side.

Noeson couldn't have had a better game, there was a shift in the first period where he knocked a ranger forward down, skated across the ice and absolutely flattened the other ranger defensemen. Every time he hits the ice they have a chance to score. Alex Aleardi is a treat to watch as well, easily one of the fastest players in the league. Hopefully he gets signed as a free agent by an NHL club, they'll be happy they did.

Tough loss last night but Kitchener is a good team, these two teams just might yet again meet in the playoffs this year. But the Whalers did get a point out of it. I took a friend with me who has never heard of the OHL, safe to say...he's a whaler fan now and really respects the level of play these kids bring.
I saw the same thing, which was what I alluded to in my post. I do like what I see in Nedeljkovic, too. If he continues to progress as the season wears on, we may have a goalie for the playoffs -- although relying on a 16-year old goalie scares me. In any case, the future looks bright in net for Plymouth.

Nice to see you at the game. I'm glad your friend enjoyed the game. We can always use some more fans cheering on the Whalers.

Old
12-02-2012, 05:43 PM
Cfriss216

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalers Fan View Post
I saw the same thing, which was what I alluded to in my post. I do like what I see in Nedeljkovic, too. If he continues to progress as the season wears on, we may have a goalie for the playoffs -- although relying on a 16-year old goalie scares me. In any case, the future looks bright in net for Plymouth.

Nice to see you at the game. I'm glad your friend enjoyed the game. We can always use some more fans cheering on the Whalers.
Yeah it was nice to be there, i'll be out of town for the holidays so I might not make it up there till January but i'll be watching all the games. Do you think they will start Nedeljkovic in Owen Sound? Or they go back to Mahalak for another game?

Old
12-02-2012, 07:08 PM
gowhalers

I agree with Whalers Fan that last night's game was the best one played at Compuware this season. They seemed to play with confidence and it was very fast and entertaining. I think Nedjlkovich starts again until they lose in regulation but we will see.

Old
12-03-2012, 06:47 AM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

I have no idea yet how Vellucci will handle Nedeljkovic's starts -- I was certain Mahalak would start Saturday night against Kitchener, and was obviously wrong. If Alex gets the majority of the starts between now and the holidays, then I think that will indicate that Mahalak has lost his starting role. Right now it's too soon to tell.

Old
12-03-2012, 11:57 AM
Cfriss216

Nice to see Tom Wilson got an invite to Canada's National Junior Evaluation Camp. I think with his style of play he could be a power forward on the 3rd line on that team. He really impressed hockey canada with the way he played in game 4 of the Subway Super Series agianst team Russia. USA will be announcing it's evaluation camp roster tomorrow. Have to think Noeson will get an invite to that camp. Ryan Hartman as well, after all, Hartman won a gold medal with the U.S. U-18 team last spring. Can't wait for this tournament, one of the best in hockey!

Old
12-04-2012, 04:33 PM
Cfriss216

Congrats to all the whalers named to Preliminary World Junior Selection Camp rosters. Rakell for team Sweden, Noeson and Hartman for the United States, and Tom Wilson for Canada. Good luck boys!

Old
12-05-2012, 07:51 PM
Cfriss216

Through 2 periods in Owen Sound, 2-1 Whalers lead off of goals by Payne, and Karlsson. Through the first ten minutes of the first period there was only 1 shot on net for each team. Both teams were playing tight defensively. Wilson seems to be churping with Birgras (I think it's him) a lot. 2nd period saw Owen Sound scoring first off of a power play goal. Puck was centered and the Owen Sound forward just snuck back door and got a one timer off. The defense should have picked him up coming straight toward the back post like that but, it happens. Hartman is having a decent game, it seems he draws a lot of penalties, he has drawn 6 minutes in penalties this game alone. I like that about him, plus his scoring touch. Noesen hasn't been able to get much open ice, puck is only on his stick briefly. Plymouth could have had another power play, but Payne took a really immature penalty to negate it. Anyway, it's fun recapping games so I figured I would give an update after two periods.

Old
12-06-2012, 12:56 AM
hockeyisforeveryone

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cfriss216 View Post
.... Anyway, it's fun recapping games so I figured I would give an update after two periods.
Thank you, it's always appreciated. I like hearing different impressions of the game along with the summary later on the website.

I'd love to see the Attack play. Judging by the standings, being nearly tied with London, they must be looking good. Even without being at the game it's obvious the Whalers are right up there with em though. A SO loss is at least one point, and in their barn, can't be disappointed.

Old
12-06-2012, 07:09 AM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

I guess we got our answer regarding Mahalak, as I see he was in goal last night. I did not listen to the game, but by the recap it sounds like he played well. We may see a goaltending platoon for awhile.

Is anyone else ready for the shoot out to disappear from hockey? It was mildly interesting when it first began, but the novelty wore off a long time ago. I do not have an issue with a regular season game ending in a tie. It certainly is better than awarding a team point when they lose the game.

Old
12-06-2012, 07:42 AM
gowhalers

Guess I was wrong about Ned getting the start. Although Mahalak played ok, both of their goals were five hole and and I did find myself holding my breath on the good chances. Otherwise I thought the Whalers played the best period in the 3rd and the only goals for OS came on the power play. If only we could score on the power play....

Old
12-06-2012, 07:55 AM
gowhalers

take that back about the five hole...just saw the highlights and the first goal was a nice passing play and he didnt have a chance

Old
12-06-2012, 08:59 AM
Cfriss216

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyisforeveryone View Post
Thank you, it's always appreciated. I like hearing different impressions of the game along with the summary later on the website.

I'd love to see the Attack play. Judging by the standings, being nearly tied with London, they must be looking good. Even without being at the game it's obvious the Whalers are right up there with em though. A SO loss is at least one point, and in their barn, can't be disappointed.
Yeah the Attack are a good hockey team, they just went 3 for 3 on their road trip this past weekend in Sudbury, The soo, and Saginaw. By the way, I wasn't at the game, haha. I watch all the whalers games on OHL Livestream, home and away. I don't even live close enough to Plymouth to go to all the home games.

Old
12-06-2012, 09:01 AM
Cfriss216

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowhalers View Post
take that back about the five hole...just saw the highlights and the first goal was a nice passing play and he didnt have a chance
Yeah that was just a play where the defense should have picked up the Owen Sound forward coming in off the backside. I think the Whalers power play has to start clicking more often. Nobody will make a deep playoff run if the special teams aren't capitalizing on chances. We all know the Whalers can put enough talent out there to score every time.

Old
12-06-2012, 09:07 AM
Cfriss216

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalers Fan View Post
I guess we got our answer regarding Mahalak, as I see he was in goal last night. I did not listen to the game, but by the recap it sounds like he played well. We may see a goaltending platoon for awhile.

Is anyone else ready for the shoot out to disappear from hockey? It was mildly interesting when it first began, but the novelty wore off a long time ago. I do not have an issue with a regular season game ending in a tie. It certainly is better than awarding a team point when they lose the game.
I see your point, but I kind of like the shootout because it gives a winner to the game. I'd say do a 5 minute 4 on 4, and if that doesn't work go to a 5 minute 3 on 3 overtime. That way there would be more odd man rushes and better chances to score. You would see a lot more games ending before a shootout. You mentioned a team getting a point when they lose.....I agree with you there, If a team loses a game we shouldn't say "Oh you lost, but heres half a win because you made it to overtime." If we took out the 1 point for an overtime/shootout loss, you would see more teams with a sense of urgency to finish the game late in the 3rd period rather than play it safe to get to O.T. Also, you wouldn't see teams making the playoffs that have 15 overtime losses. If you lose you lose, winner gets 2 points, loser gets nothing.

Old
12-06-2012, 10:25 AM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

I am not a fan of the shootout because it's not real hockey. It is like deciding a baseball game with a home run hitting contest or a football game with a field goal "kick off". As I mentioned above, the novelty wore off a long time ago for me. As for the point awarded for the OT loss, I always thought that was a bad idea. A team should never be rewarded for losing, IMO.

Back to the Whalers. Their special teams have been a mixed bag so far. The penalty kill unit has been good, but the power play has been enemic. You would think it would be the opposite, considering their offensive talent and struggles on defense and in net so far. It doesn't make much sense to me.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:40 PM
Cfriss216

Whoever wins the Wayne Gretzky trophy this year as the Western Conference champions will have to go through the London Knights. Last two games were down by two goals and won the game. 16 straight wins for the knights after beating Brampton last night. They roll four lines that can all score with a relentless forecheck. I recommend anyone that has the NHL Network in the United States watch the game tomorrow night. They have the game between the Niagara Ice Dogs and London Knights on at 7. Best team in the OHL the for the past month...Unreal.

Closed Thread