HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

2012-2013 Official BST Discussion Thread Part II

Closed Thread

Old
12-03-2012, 01:00 PM
seafoam
#Sharks2014

vCash: 2049
As far as the goalies, it's a tough line to walk. We don't have a good defense and yet another young team. Whether we have a season or not, I feel like were going to be shopping for a netminder and I'm sick of the Al Montoya's of the world.

Old
12-03-2012, 01:53 PM
NYI78

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan17 View Post
I agree, I'm very disappointed with the goalies so far, especially Poulin.
i can only talk about what i have seen and i've seen more nilsson lately and honestly he had no chance on three of the four goals..his play has been fine..the defensive breakdowns odd man rushes defensive decsion making and coverage have been horrendous and have lead to chances that no goalie is stopping..

Old
12-03-2012, 02:17 PM
blinkman360
Richard Harrow Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYI78 View Post
i can only talk about what i have seen and i've seen more nilsson lately and honestly he had no chance on three of the four goals..his play has been fine..the defensive breakdowns odd man rushes defensive decsion making and coverage have been horrendous and have lead to chances that no goalie is stopping..
I agree with this. Bridgeport took a ton of penalties last night. Some I felt weren't warranted, only because it looked like Norfolk was getting away with similar play. Regardless, a couple of the goals I saw against Nilsson were off shots that he originally made the save on only to have a player standing right in front of the net bang home the rebound. You'd like to see your defense keep the crease clear, but what are you gonna do? I think it would have been a little different had Hamonic not gotten hurt.

As far as Ness goes from your previous comment, I agree he looked a little rough on the PK, but honestly I don't see him ever being the type of NHL defenseman who will get PK time. IMO he'll be used as a 3rd pairing PP QB, if anything. I thought he did look good though, aside from his PK play. He was poised with the puck, especially when he had it in his own zone. I saw a lot of Tigers trying to rush the puck out of the defensive zone, leading to a lot of turnovers, but Ness always looked calm and seemed to make the right play. That, and he and Donovan seemed to be the only defensemen who could move the puck up ice last night. Maybe the poor play of the rest of the blue-line just made Ness look that much better.

Either way, hopefully they can get a little healthier(Hamonic/Ullstrom/Kabanov) and get back on track.

Old
12-03-2012, 02:40 PM
NYI78

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
I agree with this. Bridgeport took a ton of penalties last night. Some I felt weren't warranted, only because it looked like Norfolk was getting away with similar play. Regardless, a couple of the goals I saw against Nilsson were off shots that he originally made the save on only to have a player standing right in front of the net bang home the rebound. You'd like to see your defense keep the crease clear, but what are you gonna do? I think it would have been a little different had Hamonic not gotten hurt.

As far as Ness goes from your previous comment, I agree he looked a little rough on the PK, but honestly I don't see him ever being the type of NHL defenseman who will get PK time. IMO he'll be used as a 3rd pairing PP QB, if anything. I thought he did look good though, aside from his PK play. He was poised with the puck, especially when he had it in his own zone. I saw a lot of Tigers trying to rush the puck out of the defensive zone, leading to a lot of turnovers, but Ness always looked calm and seemed to make the right play. That, and he and Donovan seemed to be the only defensemen who could move the puck up ice last night. Maybe the poor play of the rest of the blue-line just made Ness look that much better.

Either way, hopefully they can get a little healthier(Hamonic/Ullstrom/Kabanov) and get back on track.
These are all fair points.. the injuries mounting up aren't helping at all..

Old
12-03-2012, 10:10 PM
Hipster Doofus

Defense has been slowly eroded. Poulin also had a slow start last year, not too worried.

Old
12-03-2012, 10:58 PM
islandermaniac

poulin has not been the same since his injury while with the isles 2 seasons ago.

Old
12-04-2012, 12:08 AM
redbull
Expect more

always hated the defense on this team, both in the NHL and in BP. They just seem to draft poorly or develop poorly or trade poorly.

Hamonic is a godsend.
MacDonald is excellent, one of the best contracts in the NHL for what he brings.

Streit is solid.

Then lots of question marks.

I like deHaan but he can't seem to stay healthy
Donovan has potential but, according to those who watch closely, he's got some work to do defensively.

But Landry, Ness, Wishart, and the other scrubs along with the Reese, Gervais, Hillens of times past.

I'm encouraged by Reinhart who will be fantastic as an Islander. I'm also really hopeful for Mayfield, Pedan, Pelech - at least ONE of which should be a solid defender with decent size and skill.

Kichton and Russo are also really promising.

Unfortunately these guys are a few years away from being good.

Poor defense AND young defense & goaltending - bad combination in the AHL.

Old
12-04-2012, 03:34 AM
NYI78

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandermaniac View Post
poulin has not been the same since his injury while with the isles 2 seasons ago.
i actually think poulin is exactly the same as he was two years ago...he still gives up too many rebounds and he can't catch the puck

Old
12-04-2012, 08:57 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Since the year after his drafting, where I got to see lots of SEL highlights, I've felt Nilsson is ultimately the most promising goalie entity we have in the franchise. Still think so, despite some of the higher-scoring games he's been involved in.

Still, throw me in with those who felt Poulin/Nilsson should be able to win more games 'on their own' at the AHL level by now.

The recent streak is disappointing. If the goalies can't stop it quasi on their own, then what we're seeing is that typical losing streak doubt that is VERY hard to break when a team is as young as ours is.

Old
12-04-2012, 09:43 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
always hated the defense on this team, both in the NHL and in BP. They just seem to draft poorly or develop poorly or trade poorly.
Not so sure the drafting part is all that much of a problem, but agree with the latter two to a good degree.

Quote:
I like deHaan but he can't seem to stay healthy
Donovan has potential but, according to those who watch closely, he's got some work to do defensively.
I know it's been talked about addendum, but the de Haan pick was not just a decision, it was a huge investment. In a draft with a number of good defensive prospects, they felt he was worth 4 picks, including a 1st and two seconds.

The kid no doubt has some all-round qualities, but one will always question the perspective of the investment to grab him, especially in light of a few boys left on the board to get him, including Kulikov who was more highly ranked everywhere and has certainly paid off in much better dividends for his NHL team.

In this respect, the Islanders during Snow's tenure can often be questioned.

As for the future, it's going to be really, really rough for this franchise if the shoulder(s) prevent him from becoming a regular NHLer, much less a good one. I long thought he could be a Jonsson for us, but at the moment I'm thinking it ain't gonna happen. I play with people who have suffered the problems he's been having and they don't go away.

Maybe that changes, if we're lucky.

As for Donovan, love the possibilities and I've often written that he reminds me a lot of Erhoff at that age. His numbers were really, really impressive for a rookie AHLer after just two years of college.

This said, from what I've seen in person and in the many highlights, I continue to worry about the defensive reads and positioning. We may have a guy who more closely resembles Bergeron than Erhoff.

Quote:
But Landry, Ness, Wishart, and the other scrubs along with the Reese, Gervais, Hillens of times past.
To be fair, Ness does fine in the AHL, all things considered. Whether he's ultimately NHL material is another thing. Was worth a 2nd rounder? He was picked in the general vacinity of expectations.

Reese is a fine AHL/NHL depth Dman. It's always good to have a player like him hanging around. Gervais did some good things in the AHL in his pre-NHL time. Hillen is not multidimensional, but was a college UFA that they chanced it on. He did a few good and bad things on the Isle. If you ask me, he was different after the injury from that Ovechkin shot. Campoli can be thrown into this list while we're at it.

The Isles have actually been pretty good at finding 'decent roleplaying' Dmen in later rounds, but like you wrote, Hamonic is the one real Godsend in the last little while and MacDonald has been a blessing too. Very good midrange Dman to have around.

When it comes to BPort though, I'm kind of disappointed that they don't add one or two very proven, veteran AHL Dmen who can bear a good deal of responsibility and maybe even fill in at the NHL level. I didn't like seeing Reese walk, but no-one of his ilk brought in. They could really use that right now.

It's nice to find these inbetweeners like Motherwell and Landry, but let's face it, Hamonic and de Haan are the only above-average guys they have on that blueline (well-knowing that Donovan can handle offensive responsibilities) and now they're out. That blueline is dead in the water at the moment. MacIver is a tough guy, Landry and Wishart are instable - even defensive liabilities. Can say nothing about Hill or Cantin (ECHL fodder?).

And although MacDonald and Watkins are not bad AHLers, we can make the same gripe about the forward ranks - that the kids aren't being insulated enough.

You give this team a couple of Derek Smiths and TJ Brennans on the blueline and a Tim Kennedy, Ben Walter and Darren Haydar up front, then it's a much different story in my mind's eye.

Those are just examples, but a topflight veteran group would have made things much easier on the kids.

Quote:
I'm encouraged by Reinhart who will be fantastic as an Islander. I'm also really hopeful for Mayfield, Pedan, Pelech - at least ONE of which should be a solid defender with decent size and skill.

Kichton and Russo are also really promising.
Kind of going a bit against the grain of what you began your post with, eh?

I think we can all say that we have enough promising Dmen to realistically feel that by the time we're in Brooklyn, we'll have a top six that can play with anybody and which should include four of our own draft picks. That's impressive! Especially for a team that has, up to now, not done all that much of a good job in bringing in above-average outsiders for the blueline (or anywhere else for that matter) and doesn't chance it at all with i.e. older players doing well in Europe.

With any luck, I may just be in Ufa later this month, so here's reallyreallyreally hoping that all of Strome, Reinhart, Pelech, Russo and Pokka will be at the tournament - as well as a few other future Islanders.

Last edited by Chapin Landvogt: 12-04-2012 at 09:57 AM.
Old
12-04-2012, 07:31 PM
leaponover

I still don't understand the "develop" poorly remarks...

How can one player who arguably was developed poorly result in a sweeping generalization that the norm for the Isles is poor development. It is entirely too early to tell with Nino, and some argue that it's too early to tell with Bailey although I disagree. So either it's too early to tell with both, or Bailey was developed poorly. I'll contend the latter, but will not state the organization is poor at development based on one player.

Please give me more examples if you want to continue to purport this as certainty...

Old
12-05-2012, 07:56 PM
Wanderson

vCash: 50
I wonder why Kitchon is still playing in the WHL, when players like Hill gets icetime in BST. =/

Old
12-05-2012, 08:13 PM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderson View Post
I wonder why Kitchon is still playing in the WHL, when players like Hill gets icetime in BST. =/
CDH was supposed to be here the full year. They probably wanted to keep some roster mobility as well. Plus the fact that Hamonic was going to play in the AHL forced their hand a little. You probably don't want Kitchon not playing in the AHL. In retrospect, they probably would have signed him (this is also a big thing, who knows whether or not they were able to come to a contractual agreement).

Old
12-05-2012, 08:14 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 234
Sound Tigers on the brink of losing yet another game.. Giving up two goals in the third they now trail the Whale 4-2 with about 5 minutes left in the game.

Edit: Its all over 7 losses in a row... Yikes.

Old
12-05-2012, 08:20 PM
Wanderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
Sound Tigers on the brink of losing yet another game.. Giving up two goals in the third they now trail the Whale 4-2 with about 5 minutes left in the game.

Edit: Its all over 7 losses in a row... Yikes.
Whale scored their last 2 goals because of turnovers in BSTs own zone. Ugly...

Old
12-06-2012, 11:20 AM
Sneekypete

I have held my tounge on Bport but ths team is in a downward spiral. They lack creativity with the puck, constantly turn the puck over in there own zone and the neutral zone, not to mention defensive coverage by every F and Dman has been horrid. I believe there is a new system in place and almost no one seems to be grasping it.
The goalies have let in some softies but have also been hung out to dry very badly.
Injuries aside this team has made some very bad decisions with the puck, in the first 10 games they got away with it but it has just gotten progressively worse

Old
12-06-2012, 01:33 PM
redbull
Expect more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneekypete View Post
I have held my tounge on Bport but ths team is in a downward spiral. They lack creativity with the puck, constantly turn the puck over in there own zone and the neutral zone, not to mention defensive coverage by every F and Dman has been horrid. I believe there is a new system in place and almost no one seems to be grasping it.
The goalies have let in some softies but have also been hung out to dry very badly.
Injuries aside this team has made some very bad decisions with the puck, in the first 10 games they got away with it but it has just gotten progressively worse
first, great avatar.

b) thanks for the feedback. So tough to get a read from these guys without watching them play and appreciate the input. Stats can be so misleading.

I have never liked the dmen on BP and the fact they are the 2nd youngest AHL team doesn't help matters. They looked amazing early in the year (before KK and deHaan and Cizikas got hurt) but it was mainly the offense that looked great.

Hockey is too much of a "capitalize-on-mistakes" game, amplified at the NHL level where the speed, physical play, lack of time/space just magnifies things. Mistakes that keep happening is a bad sign. Although it's expected in younger players, we cannot expect these players to be on the NYI anytime soon if they continue.

In your opinion, is it more a matter of talent? Coaching? combination? experience?
I suspect they are all a factor.

I've watched enough AHL hockey (Marlies) to know that a vet presence on the ice is a CRUCIAL piece to developing younger players and insulating them from mistakes. Keith Aucoin helps Nazem Kadri, for example. Though, not sure Kadri will ever make the NHL. But that's for another board.

Old
12-06-2012, 02:12 PM
Sneekypete

Bport has talent up front, but lack a couple players that have enough creativity to create space for the big men to drive the net.
Coaching I am not sure, everyone raves of him.
Experience, maybe they are a young team and if a player like Colliton were healthy and on this roster it would make Nino or Mcdonald that much better.
Sundstrom will be a good player and I would like to see him flanked by Ullstrom and Mcdonald

Nino needs a pure playmaking center

Cizakis i give a pass to presently but he seems to have regressed, maybe from injuries

Nelson is extremely streaky but i feel he will gain consistency over time, he does work hard everytime out.
The defense has been bad eveen when they were winning Hamonic and Donovan have been the best and Ness is ok, not sure if he will be able to handle NHL rigors and rough forecheckers, he gets pummled regularly. All other Dmen on this team have been garbage to this point.
I will post more later on other players like Perrson.

Old
12-06-2012, 06:46 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneekypete View Post
Bport has talent up front, but lack a couple players that have enough creativity to create space for the big men to drive the net.
Coaching I am not sure, everyone raves of him.
Experience, maybe they are a young team and if a player like Colliton were healthy and on this roster it would make Nino or Mcdonald that much better.
Sundstrom will be a good player and I would like to see him flanked by Ullstrom and Mcdonald

Nino needs a pure playmaking center

Cizakis i give a pass to presently but he seems to have regressed, maybe from injuries

Nelson is extremely streaky but i feel he will gain consistency over time, he does work hard everytime out.
The defense has been bad eveen when they were winning Hamonic and Donovan have been the best and Ness is ok, not sure if he will be able to handle NHL rigors and rough forecheckers, he gets pummled regularly. All other Dmen on this team have been garbage to this point.
I will post more later on other players like Perrson.
Tease......that's the one guy I'm most interested in!

Old
12-06-2012, 10:04 PM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
Was at the BST game Sat, didn't pay my usual close attention (had distractions ).

Poulin gave up some bad angled goals, from the times I've seen him in the AHL he plays better at the NHL level; perhaps he raises his game. There's just something sloppy and erratic about his game, when he's out of position he's forced to flop around making the save look more spectacular than it really should have been.

Nino with that signature wrister, saw the play unfold and was hoping the pass would drop back to Nino. In the A he gets time and space to unleash that thing. I like how he digs in the corners, looks stronger on the puck, and looks quicker on his feet. But agreed, he needs a playmaking center.

Wanted to see Ullstrom, is he injured again?

Hammer looks hesitant. One would surmise that he would play like a man amongst boys, but in the 2 BST games I've seen that wasn't the case.

Wanted more from Donovan.

Nelson was fine, believe he scored on a play in front of the net. Of coarse he needs to work on his skating.

Old
12-08-2012, 01:42 PM
InformTheMasses

I'll be at the game this afternoon in Albany. I'll come back with comments tonight.

Old
12-08-2012, 04:43 PM
CodeE

Rotoworld gave a nice shoutout to Hamonic:

Quote:
Travis Hamonic has been extremely impressive leading the Bridgeport Sounds this season.

So much so, that there is talk that he is in line to become the Isles' captain sometime in the near future. Hamonic brings a perfect blend of offense and physicality to his blueline position which makes him a very valuable fantasy commodity.

Source: New York Newsday Dec 8 - 10:59 AM
I assume Tavares is the heir apparent to Islanders captain, but if anyone's going to give him a run for his money, I'd think it'd be Hamonic over Okposo and the others.

Old
12-08-2012, 05:00 PM
MrMariusz

Tigers taking some really stupid penalties in the game vs Albany, its okay to play a little physical, but they are just getting themselves into trouble nowadays.

Need a multi goal comeback here. 4 shots or so through 30 minutes of play, jeez.

Old
12-08-2012, 05:20 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
Captain Tavares

When are they going to break this awful slump?

Old
12-08-2012, 05:22 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 234
Ohhh crap B'port down 3-0 late in the second... Going to need a big turn around to break this freaking streak.

Closed Thread