HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '13 U.S.A.

Closed Thread

Old
12-05-2012, 07:51 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
After last year's horrible showing by ending up in the relegation round, where do most Americans see the team placing this year?

Canada, Russia and Sweden should be just as good this time around. Finland and Czech Republic might have the best rosters they have had for some time.

Jones and Galychenuk were huge losses last year, but are there any top end undrafted players in the mix this year?

I think the top five unit USA can ice is as good as anyone, but I see a real lack of depth on the squad. What is a realistic finish for USA?
just like our previous succes story years, this team isnt going to be loaded from top down. this team has the chance to be another well balanced-hard nosed skating team that will outwork and outhustle the competition.

but just like all our other teams that dont live up to the hype, we need our goaltending to be solid and our defense to move the puck up the ice. this team isnt going to be the sexiest unit out there, but it could possibly be one of the most balanced teams out there.

there are going to be three balanced scoring lines, and a fourth line that should have a bunch of grit and defensive minded players.

realistically this team should be a medal team, but it depends on our goaltending and how well we move the puck... they have a solid shot at a Gold, but I think we can make things very difficult for our opponents and find our way on the medal podeum somewhere.

Old
12-05-2012, 07:52 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
After last year's horrible showing by ending up in the relegation round, where do most Americans see the team placing this year?

Canada, Russia and Sweden should be just as good this time around. Finland and Czech Republic might have the best rosters they have had for some time.

Jones and Galychenuk were huge losses last year, but are there any top end undrafted players in the mix this year?

I think the top five unit USA can ice is as good as anyone, but I see a real lack of depth on the squad. What is a realistic finish for USA?
The US seems to do better in the underdog role mentally. A lot of things went wrong last year and I won't rehash them, but this isn't the most talented US team ever. It will play the typical American game of speed and effort.

Only draft eligible player this year is JOnes.

Realistic finish is anywhere. Good or bad.

Old
12-05-2012, 07:53 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
The US seems to do better in the underdog role mentally. A lot of things went wrong last year and I won't rehash them, but this isn't the most talented US team ever. It will play the typical American game of speed and effort.

Only draft eligible player this year is JOnes.

Realistic finish is anywhere. Good or bad.
you dont think Hartman makes the team?

Not sure how he doesnt at this point to be honest...

Old
12-05-2012, 07:56 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:

I think a bronze medal is a realistic expectation.

Canada/Russia are the favorites in my mind. And then there's the other pack with Sweden, USA, Finland, Czechs.

But I wouldn't be surprised to see this team in the gold medal game or finishing 6th. It's such a crap shoot tournament (especially for our team it seems) that the only constant has been Canada and Russia with Team USA and Sweden seemingly alternating successes as well recently.

I'm not sure if some of the others in this thread are as down on this team as they seem or just tempering expectations as we've seen such uneven performances (most of us, myself included, have learned the latter the hard way). But in my mind, Galchenyuk, Gadreau, and Grimaldi are as individually talented as any forward we've put up in this tournament since Patrick Kane. Jones/Trouba are a great starting point on defense and John Gibson is up there with the best goalies we've put forth as well. That certainly doesn't lead to guaranteed success but with a team that faltered last year due to no chemistry, I'm excited to have some more individual skill this go around. If the high end guys don't produce or Gibson falters, they will probably struggle, but that's the case for almost every team outside of the notoriously stacked Canada (outside of the great equalizer - the goalie - which can even take down a stacked Canada).

Last edited by William H Bonney: 12-05-2012 at 08:14 PM.
Old
12-05-2012, 07:59 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
you dont think Hartman makes the team?

Not sure how he doesnt at this point to be honest...
Ahhh it just slipped my mind that he was draft eligible because he's a '94 and only a month or so off the deadline.

Old
12-05-2012, 08:04 PM
flyers28giroux

Quote:

I agree with what Bonney just said, a shot at a bronze medal is a pretty realistic expectation for this team right now, but if they can get solid goaltending and solid defense and if there offense can contribute with guys like Noesen, Lucia, Trocheck, Vesey stepping up and contributing with players like Gaudreau, Galchenyuk, Grimaldi, JT Miller then this team could shock some people and make a run for the gold.

Old
12-05-2012, 08:17 PM
canuck2010

Don't forget there is a wildcard here. It looks like the NHL may be heading for a resolution of the lockout. How will that play out with the US roster. What players could possibly be attending NHL camps?

Old
12-05-2012, 08:20 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Miller had 2 goals tonight, and one was flat out ridiculous.

12-05-2012, 08:24 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck2010 View Post
Don't forget there is a wildcard here. It looks like the NHL may be heading for a resolution of the lockout. How will that play out with the US roster. What players could possibly be attending NHL camps?
Depends on when the season starts, how long training camp is, etc. Galchenyuk and possibly Miller should be the only worries in that scenario in my opinion but way too many unknowns to really say. Camp would probably be extremely abbreviated and much smaller than normal.

Old
12-05-2012, 08:25 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck2010 View Post
Hell most of them could be attending NHL camps, assuming that most teams will want a look at their first round picks. Then again most of the tournament would be attending.

Old
12-05-2012, 08:32 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Do people agree that Boucher is a pure sniper ? I was arguing with a friend that he's more of a goalscorer..

Old
12-05-2012, 08:35 PM
Alberta tough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
Hell most of them could be attending NHL camps, assuming that most teams will want a look at their first round picks. Then again most of the tournament would be attending.
Noesen and Galchenyuk are the only ones that can be recalled from the CHL. Edit Gibson aswell.
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...-lockout-ends/

Last edited by Alberta tough: 12-05-2012 at 08:54 PM.
Old
12-05-2012, 08:46 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta tough View Post
Noesen and Galchenyuk are the only ones that can be recalled from the CHL.
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...-lockout-ends/
I think it stinks in here because my brain keeps farting.

Old
12-05-2012, 09:29 PM
Nash

I tend to agree that Bronze is a realistic goal. Of course, if everything goes right, any of the top 6 can be in the finals. The tournament is getting rid of the round robin bye for first place, so the advantage of an extra day rest is gone for each pool's winner. I like that, as it makes it more fair for everyone. I never liked looking at the scoring race when some top guys play only six games compared to most playing seven. The other great change is the two bottom teams playing for relegation and only one team dropping.

I really like USA's focus on skating to fill the roster after the top end guys. You don't need to be 6'4" 220 pounds to be able to check. All you need is to be able to match or out skate your opponents and get in the passing lane and tie up sticks. I wish Canada would focus more on skating than size/strength in the depth players, especially on the big ice surface.

Old
12-05-2012, 09:57 PM
Nash

My mistake. The quarterfinal bye is in place still for 2013 as the schedule was already in place when they changed the rule.

Old
12-05-2012, 11:13 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
Do people agree that Boucher is a pure sniper ? I was arguing with a friend that he's more of a goalscorer..
Sniper, his shot ranks around a 70 at the moment which is ridiculous for a JR.

Old
12-05-2012, 11:53 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
I dont have too many gripes with this eval roster. I spoke my mind about Reid Boucher, and I will stand by that as being a mistake.

I am not a fan of Kuraly getting invited with the way he has played this year. I understand how awesome he looked at the summer eval camp, but you have to be firing on all cylinders before entering this tourney....maybe this news sparks him and he turns it around fast as if on, he could be this years Jerry D'Amigo IMO.

There definitely is a NCAA flavor on this eval roster. I figured to see around 2-3 more CHL kids on this roster with the pure amount of talent we have in the CHL right now. I am not really complaining about much as some of the guys who I felt had a decent shot at making this team, would only be a role player mold except Boucher.

I truly hope Kerdiles does get his shot as it is stupid to not see his name here. Bring the extra damn skater along and create a few battles here. 15 forwards is simply not enough to spark more battles here. I think that extra forward or two really can make a few kids work a bit harder knowing there are likely 4 cuts instead of the current 2.
Let's be real here. No Boucher is not (or should not) going to determine:

1) How the U.S. does as a whole
2) How Galchenyuk performs

As for the NCAA/CHL debate-there are 12 CHL kids on the eval camp roster (out of 27) with most if not all of them going to be on the final 23 man roster. When is the last time roughly half of the team was built that way? This anti-CHL bias just doesn't exist.

Old
12-05-2012, 11:55 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
Is Biggs really a letter guy? I know he wore the C on the U18 team, but I don't know if he gets that over other guys. Jones was one of those as well, could see him getting a letter over Biggs.
The U.S. brass (Jim Johansson for one) has been quoted saying how much they value Biggs' leadership and compete level. It wouldn't surprise me if he got a letter. Don't know about the "C", but that wouldn't shock me either.

Old
12-05-2012, 11:58 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:

I think the U.S. can compete for a medal. Tough pool though. We'll see how much the emphasis on skating and grit pays off. The skill level is there, but I wonder how the likes of Galchenyuk will fare in what will likely be a hostile environment (of particular note in his case). To me, they are going to have to physically dictate the games. I think they can do that with every team-including Canada. I mean, does anyone really want to face the likes of Matteau, Biggs, and Hartman?

Old
12-06-2012, 12:23 AM
Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
I think the U.S. can compete for a medal. Tough pool though. We'll see how much the emphasis on skating and grit pays off. The skill level is there, but I wonder how the likes of Galchenyuk will fare in what will likely be a hostile environment (of particular note in his case). To me, they are going to have to physically dictate the games. I think they can do that with every team-including Canada. I mean, does anyone really want to face the likes of Matteau, Biggs, and Hartman?
Do you think the Russians will jeer Galchenyuk? Being fluent in Russian and his heritage would make me think he will be the media darling from the US team in Ufa. When he does well, the Russians will all say, "of course he's the best on USA since he has Russian bloodlines". He's a former teammate and friend of Russia's star player. He'd have a higher chance of being booed if the tournament was in Canada, since we take it too seriously sometimes and seem to like to jeer our neighbors. I still remember the death stares J. Johnson and Wheeler gave to four Surrey loudmouths sitting behind the penalty box when they played Finland in Vancouver. Wish I took a picture.

While those three are intimidating, I don't think Canada is too worried. Canada will have no one under 5'11" on the team and most have fair size. Wilson Jenner Ritchie is actually a bigger line. The 3 you mentioned will be a big presence though. I'd be worried about some of the very small players USA has. Two of your D are 168 pounds and Grimaldi and Gaudreau are among the smallest players in the tournament. 150 sounds so small in this tournament. I'm glad these guys have been playing against college players or I would be really scared for them.

Old
12-06-2012, 12:30 AM
Xokkeu

It can be dangerous to extrapolate too much from personal experience but the Russian fans I know don't have any hostility towards Galchenyuk. I question how many in the stands in Ufa will actually know much about him and I'd agree that he'd be much more likely to be booed in Canada just for being on the US team.

Old
12-06-2012, 02:46 AM
Honour Over Glory

I thought Archibald or Wilson would have been invited, guess not.

Old
12-06-2012, 03:36 AM
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
I thought Archibald or Wilson would have been invited, guess not.
Archibald is too old and I'm not sure which Wilson you're referring to.

Old
12-06-2012, 05:07 AM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
Let's be real here. No Boucher is not (or should not) going to determine:

1) How the U.S. does as a whole
2) How Galchenyuk performs

As for the NCAA/CHL debate-there are 12 CHL kids on the eval camp roster (out of 27) with most if not all of them going to be on the final 23 man roster. When is the last time roughly half of the team was built that way? This anti-CHL bias just doesn't exist.
No one player is going to determine how the team does as a whole. If you have a player who is clearly shooting with confidence there is a good chance he ends up shooting 30% for the tourney. If that's the case you probably lost 5 goals for the tourney. He could just as easily shoot 10% but that is a risk I would certainly take, especially with a 13th forward in your back pocket for late in the game.

Old
12-06-2012, 08:12 AM
tourlord*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaykay View Post
Higher scoring yes, not so sure about the better competition
You think the EAAC is a better league?

Closed Thread