HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Wild future vs. Oilers future

Old
12-05-2012, 11:15 AM
ThatGuy22

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretskidoo View Post
So Brodin/Larsson will never make the NHL?
Or Dumba/Phillips/Zucker

ThatGuy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 11:15 AM
Loffer

vCash: 954
It's clear that Oilers has much more exciting and better prospects/young players than Wild. In fact, Oilers is the most exciting team in this regards.

Loffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 11:24 AM
MoreGore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffer View Post
It's clear that Oilers has much more exciting and better prospects/young players than Wild. In fact, Oilers is the most exciting team in this regards.
Of course they do, the last guy drafted first by a team not named Edmonton Oilers was Tavaras, who has over 200 points already.

Minnesota has a good team and has drafted very well. Edmonton has drafted very well.

MoreGore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 11:53 AM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

I hate the Oilers, but the Oilers easily

Vasilevskiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 02:00 PM
MN_Gopher

vCash: 2900
Aren't both AHL teams 11-7-2

One team does not have its best 2 NHL players. Not the best comparison but it should say a little something about the depth MN has.

MN_Gopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 02:02 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreGore View Post
Of course they do, the last guy drafted first by a team not named Edmonton Oilers was Tavaras, who has over 200 points already.

Minnesota has a good team and has drafted very well. Edmonton has drafted very well.
It doesn't take a great scouting team when you draft 1st overall.

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 02:11 PM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Gopher View Post

One team does not have its best 2 NHL players. Not the best comparison but it should say a little something about the depth MN has.
Yup.
And Grandlund and Brodin, Minnys two best prospects and arguably best AHL players, have been injured half the year.

Wait, am I doing this wrong...

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 02:27 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Gopher View Post

AHL standing have zero bearing on the future. Only 2-3 players from an AHL will actually make the NHL full time. But yes, your AHL team depth is better then the OKC team depth

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 02:36 PM
ProfessorMcFatty

"AHL standing have zero bearing on the future"

Maybe, but I seem to recall the Aeros beating the Barons 4/5 times this year. The Wild's unproven prospects are doing pretty well against the Oilers proven prospects so far...

ProfessorMcFatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 02:41 PM
ThatGuy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
AHL standing have zero bearing on the future. Only 2-3 players from an AHL will actually make the NHL full time. But yes, your AHL team depth is better then the OKC team depth
Only 2-3 players on the Aero's will make the NHL? Are you saying will make it this year?

Cause there are about 8 guys on the Aero's that are highly likely to have solid NHL career.

ThatGuy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 02:52 PM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

vCash: 142
Nobody's got a better future than the Oilers!

Not no body, not no how!

WarriorOfGandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 02:57 PM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorMcFatty View Post

Maybe, but I seem to recall the Aeros beating the Barons 4/5 times this year. The Wild's unproven prospects are doing pretty well against the Oilers proven prospects so far...

Sure they have, but if by the Barons 'proven prospects' you mean Hall, Eberle, and Nugent-Hopkins, they've been doing pretty well themselves.
Eberle: 5GP 5G 1A 6PTS
Hall: 3GP 2G 1A 3PTS
Nugent-Hopkins: 4GP 1G 2A 3PTS

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 03:15 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorMcFatty View Post

Your guys also beat, Jordan "heres the puck' Henry and Alex "why cant I skate" Plante.

You AHL depth players are better then OKC's but very few will see the NHL (3/4th liners that is). The players that will play in the NHL are doing extremely well. Do I care if a 3/4th liner on an AHL team is better then another 3/4th liner on another team. I couldnt care less.
The OKC barons were a top team last year, but an AHL teams success rarely fully translates to NHL success.

If your AHL 1st line was better than ours then yes its significant because those are legit prospects. Not 29 year old hatchet men.

That is why the AHL debate has no traction

Old
12-05-2012, 03:37 PM
Jbcraig1883

Quote:
Your guys also beat, Jordan "heres the puck' Henry and Alex "why cant I skate" Plante.

You AHL depth players are better then OKC's but very few will see the NHL (3/4th liners that is). The players that will play in the NHL are doing extremely well. Do I care if a 3/4th liner on an AHL team is better then another 3/4th liner on another team. I couldnt care less.
The OKC barons were a top team last year, but an AHL teams success rarely fully translates to NHL success.

If your AHL 1st line was better than ours then yes its significant because those are legit prospects. Not 29 year old hatchet men.

That is why the AHL debate has no traction

While I would never suggest the Aeros' top line of Zucker-Granlund-Coyle is more proven at the NHL level than OKC's, that top line was just as dominant before Granlund was injured, even against OKC, at the AHL level. Based on the use of the term "better" in your premise , I am curious what your support would be for one AHL line to be better than the other.

Jbcraig1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 03:47 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbcraig1883 View Post
While I would never suggest the Aeros' top line of Zucker-Granlund-Coyle is more proven at the NHL level than OKC's, that top line was just as dominant before Granlund was injured, even against OKC, at the AHL level. Based on the use of the term "better" in your premise , I am curious what your support would be for one AHL line to be better than the other.
Scoring chances produced while on the ice versus scoring chances against is a good measure of effectiveness. Ofcourse overall points too. But like I said its much better to discuss the young players then discuss AHL results. Im not trying to say that the entire Oilers future is better then the Wilds because of an AHL top line.

Just saw a post saying that, since the Wild AHL team beat the Oilers AHL team on some occassions that therefore the Wild prospectséplayers are better. Which I found funny.

I cant say whos gunna be better since both have alot of young players, and as you know not all young players pan out. But it will be a good rivalery in the future

Old
12-05-2012, 03:50 PM
Joe Hallenback

The Barons beat the Aeros in 4 straight in last years AHL playoffs. So clearly the Oiler spare parts > Wild spare parts

Am I doing this right?

Joe Hallenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 05:10 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

vCash: 16145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
The Barons beat the Aeros in 4 straight in last years AHL playoffs. So clearly the Oiler spare parts > Wild spare parts

Am I doing this right?
Not even close. First of all, they play best of 5 the first round. OKC won 3 out of 4. Great for them. Second of all, Houston got in on the last day of the season and was the 8th seed. I'd sure hope that the 8 seed would lose to the 1 seed. Not to mention the assumption that these AHL players would be able to make the NHL.

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 05:24 PM
Bjindaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
Not even close. First of all, they play best of 5 the first round. OKC won 3 out of 4. Great for them. Second of all, Houston got in on the last day of the season and was the 8th seed. I'd sure hope that the 8 seed would lose to the 1 seed. Not to mention the assumption that these AHL players would be able to make the NHL.
I think he forgot the

Bjindaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 05:26 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
My point exactly. Our 1st and 2nd line are equal if not better than the Aeros and Aeros depth (the players I just bolded) are now better than ours.

Old
12-05-2012, 05:50 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

The issue is; Oilers have great individual pieces but not really good cohesion. They don't play like much of a team. Just 5 guys on the ice. Wild have some good individual pieces but they have great cohesion. They play more as a team without one player dominating the game.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 05:54 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
The issue is; Oilers have great individual pieces but not really good cohesion. They don't play like much of a team. Just 5 guys on the ice. Wild have some good individual pieces but they have great cohesion. They play more as a team without one player dominating the game.
Yeah, Dany Heatley is a helluva team player

Old
12-05-2012, 05:56 PM
Minnesota
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 404
Quote:
Yeah, Dany Heatley is a helluva team player
Honestly, he's one of our best team players. Welcome to 2012-13.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 08:46 PM
SMantzas
Church of Corsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
Wtf are you talking about? The Wild were putrid last year too

SMantzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 09:31 PM
P10p

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMantzas View Post
Wtf are you talking about? The Wild were putrid last year too
Remove half of your top six forwards at once and tell me how your team holds up. The wild were doing great until the injuries started pouring in.

P10p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 09:41 PM
KPRGol

Quote:
Originally Posted by P10p View Post
Remove half of your top six forwards at once and tell me how your team holds up. The wild were doing great until the injuries started pouring in.
It's not just there was injuries to the wild last season that made them tank, it's that the wild had no depth and was forced to place career AHLers into top 6 positions. To me the injuries aren't as telling as the lack of depth was last season. Other teams have been able to survive with the loss of key players, but they had the depth.

Fortunately, in the coming seasons the Wild have much better depth and have better options for calling-up players. That's exciting. And I think that's one reason why I think the depth comparison between the Wild and the Oilers is important. Not only does the Wild have better depth in its prospects but it also has better depth overall as a team.

Sure the Wild will hurt if they lose Koivu, Parise, etc. But future seasons have not Warren Peters as the replacement. I think the Oilers will likely hurt more if they lose key cogs.

KPRGol is offline   Reply With Quote