HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off-Season Madness the 9th: Tom Cheek Memorial Edition

Closed Thread

Old
12-05-2012, 09:24 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
SB Nation's John Stickels Grades Jays top 20 Prospects
Link: http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/...pects-for-2013

I'm only listing the top 5 to be "forum friendly", but you can find the complete top 20 via the link above. Not completely sold on his grading process, fairly generic tbh, but his overall ranking is pretty good. Stilson perhaps should be a few spots higher, and Norris above DJ Davis.
Great read. Thanks for the post

Old
12-05-2012, 10:09 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

In light of Tom Cheek's award today and future induction to the baseball HoF, can we change the title to the Tom Cheek memorial thread?

Or if the Mods are OK with it maybe making a Tom Cheek appreciation thread down below?

Old
12-05-2012, 10:15 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
In light of Tom Cheek's award today and future induction to the baseball HoF, can we change the title to the Tom Cheek memorial thread?

Or if the Mods are OK with it maybe making a Tom Cheek appreciation thread down below?
I like the idea. So with apologies to TorontoMarleauLeafs for jumping on the thread title he made, I have changed it.

as for making a new thread, there's a vocal segment of the Leafs board that really doesn't like non-Leafs sports threads other than designated discussion ones. Even something like memorializing Cheek would probably be met with some "we have a baseball thread for this" posts (and I don't blame them. It is a hockey board first and foremost). So it's probably best to keep it all here.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
12-05-2012, 10:21 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
I like the idea. So with apologies to TorontoMarleauLeafs for jumping on the thread title he made, I have changed it.

as for making a new thread, there's a vocal segment of the Leafs board that really doesn't like non-Leafs sports threads other than designated discussion ones. Even something like memorializing Cheek would probably be met with some "we have a baseball thread for this" posts (and I don't blame them. It is a hockey board first and foremost). So it's probably best to keep it all here.
Thank you.

That's cool.

I appologise to TorontoMarleauLeafs too and nominate him for the next thread titile. But this is something really special.

I figured someone had to have mentioned it but I had to back to like page 30something inhte old thread.

I did notice there was a link to his call of Carter's homerun.

It's the most famous call of his carreer. I'll see if I can find it again and post it here.

Old
12-05-2012, 10:33 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Found it:

Edit: It's not just the last at bat but it is the full inning. But what an inning!

https://soundcloud.com/bluejays-voic...heek-1993-game

As someone said in the last thread I still get chills.

Even though this was the 2nd championship this is the one where I can tell you exactly where I was and who I was with.

Congatulations to Tom Cheek and his family. This honour has been far to long in coming.

Last edited by charliolemieux: 12-05-2012 at 10:46 PM.
Old
12-05-2012, 11:20 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

maybe not my best work, but it accomplishes what I want it to and did so in only about 30-45 minutes of work. I also have to keep my creativity in check so I can save it to be funnelled toward actual Jays season avatars.

free for use by anyone that wants it.

Old
12-05-2012, 11:22 PM
Everlong
Franchise Pillar

May not be Jays related but looks like there's a 4way trade in the works, and with Seattle of all teams. Interesting.

Ken Rosenthal
http://mlbbuzz.yardbarker.com/blog/m...?new_post=true

Quote:
NASHVILLE, Tenn. - The fourth team in the blockbuster – or, at least, in some permutations of the blockbuster – is Seattle.

And the Mariners, in the opinion of one of the officials involved in the talks, amount to the biggest roadblock, unsure of whether to push forward with the deal.

Old
12-05-2012, 11:45 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post

maybe not my best work, but it accomplishes what I want it to and did so in only about 30-45 minutes of work. I also have to keep my creativity in check so I can save it to be funnelled toward actual Jays season avatars.

free for use by anyone that wants it.
Wow that is good.

Man I've been rockin the ANZE avy since his rookie year,(before I came here), it's actual LA graffiti, but I might have to finally trade him in.

I'll sleep on it and see.

I really like it though.

NIce job.

Old
12-05-2012, 11:52 PM
Drop The Mits
Toronto Blue Dingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
May not be Jays related but looks like there's a 4way trade in the works, and with Seattle of all teams. Interesting.

Ken Rosenthal
http://mlbbuzz.yardbarker.com/blog/m...?new_post=true
king felix?

Old
12-06-2012, 01:02 AM
JayRoadkill

supposedly Corey Hart is on the market as a salary dump to open room to sign a pitcher.

He played 1B a lot last year.

He makes 10million this year then is a FA.

Hes good for 30 HR and a .280 average or so.

I would go after him for maybe a B prospect and Lind (who makes 5 Million and has 3 years of team options)

Old
12-06-2012, 01:07 AM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop The Mits View Post
king felix?
Can't see it, they want to keep him as a Mariner for life.

Depending on the deal, if someone really good is going to them I could see one of the pitching prospects (Walker, Hultzen, Paxton) leaving.

Old
12-06-2012, 03:44 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
Can't see it, they want to keep him as a Mariner for life.

Depending on the deal, if someone really good is going to them I could see one of the pitching prospects (Walker, Hultzen, Paxton) leaving.
josh joshson for him king felix with some added incentive god knows

12-06-2012, 05:05 AM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Looking at all the money some of these guys are getting, I can't help but think what a bargain Melky deal is.

Old
12-06-2012, 06:26 AM
Bjindaho

Quote:

Very happy to see this. As much as we want to celebrate our new players, Tom finally being recognized is way more important.

Old
12-06-2012, 06:42 AM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayRoadkill View Post
supposedly Corey Hart is on the market as a salary dump to open room to sign a pitcher.

He played 1B a lot last year.

He makes 10million this year then is a FA.

Hes good for 30 HR and a .280 average or so.

I would go after him for maybe a B prospect and Lind (who makes 5 Million and has 3 years of team options)
I really like Hart and is easily an upgrade over Lind. I'm interested

Old
12-06-2012, 07:37 AM
Drew311
Catch The Taste

Does anyone know who the Jays stand to lose in the Rule 5 Draft tomorrow?

Old
12-06-2012, 08:08 AM
KuleminFan41

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
just bring back villaneuva
problem solved

i dont see his name floating around at all
Because he's unproven . He's good in the pen and was good when called upon but he's not exactly needed. Not to mention he has a big ego, just look at the way he handled things at the end of the year. Not to mention he went 1-6 in his last 10 games, he pitched 125 innings only and went downhill at the end of the year. He shouldn't be as the 5th guy imo. He's not bad by any means but not starting material imo

Old
12-06-2012, 08:31 AM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Blue Jays are finalists for Jason Grilli, according to Peter Gammons.

Old
12-06-2012, 08:36 AM
GoHardSports
TorontoMarleauLeafs

Quote:
Thank you.

That's cool.

I appologise to TorontoMarleauLeafs too and nominate him for the next thread titile. But this is something really special.

I figured someone had to have mentioned it but I had to back to like page 30something inhte old thread.

I did notice there was a link to his call of Carter's homerun.

It's the most famous call of his carreer. I'll see if I can find it again and post it here.
No need to apologize. Its a great idea.

Also, we are one of the finalists for reliever Jason Grilli per Peter Gammons. Cant quote the tweet right now as im on my phone.

Edit: Diamond Joe Quimby beat me to it.

Last edited by GoHardSports: 12-06-2012 at 08:44 AM.
Old
12-06-2012, 08:42 AM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

nothing about Grilli really looks all that great to me. He's had 2 good year in Pitts but aside from that he doesn't have good numbers at all. Hopefully, if they are in on him that they get him on the cheap. Figured I'd add that Grilli is expected to make his decision by 10 this morning and that if someone gives him the 3 year deal he'd prefer that's where he'll go. I can't see the jays doing that.

Old
12-06-2012, 08:53 AM
GoHardSports
TorontoMarleauLeafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
nothing about Grilli really looks all that great to me. He's had 2 good year in Pitts but aside from that he doesn't have good numbers at all. Hopefully, if they are in on him that they get him on the cheap. Figured I'd add that Grilli is expected to make his decision by 10 this morning and that if someone gives him the 3 year deal he'd prefer that's where he'll go. I can't see the jays doing that.
From what I see on fangraphs, he's a two-pitch strikeout reliever. He throws fastballs and sliders, but he used to throw a curveball and changeup in his youth (although his numbers weren't that good when he threw them). Average fastball velocity was 93.6 this past year and he had a K/9 of 13.81 in 58.2 innings of work.

Old
12-06-2012, 08:53 AM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Quote:
6'5" righty with improving velocity and stuff who had a 13K/9 last year. Basically another Delabar type K artist. Would be a fanstastic addition to the pen and a veteran presence.

Old
12-06-2012, 08:59 AM
GoHardSports
TorontoMarleauLeafs

So I guess the pen looks like this at the moment:

Janssen
Santos
Delabar
Lincoln
Rogers
Cecil
Loup

I guess Grilli would push Loup back to the minors. That would give us our depth.

Also:

Quote:
Ken Rosenthal‏@Ken_Rosenthal

Source: FA reliever Grilli has two-year offers from #Pirates, #BlueJays, #Cubs, #SFGiants. Will stay in PIT unless another club goes three.

Old
12-06-2012, 09:01 AM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
6'5" righty with improving velocity and stuff who had a 13K/9 last year. Basically another Delabar type K artist. Would be a fanstastic addition to the pen and a veteran presence.
He's 35 or 36 though. How long do you expect a flamethrowers velocity to keep going up.

Old
12-06-2012, 09:02 AM
GoHardSports
TorontoMarleauLeafs

Quote:
He's 35 or 36 though. How long do you expect a flamethrowers velocity to keep going up.
He's 36 and thats why teams are insisting on 2 years rather than 3.

Closed Thread