HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Anyone else glad we traded Setoguchi?

Old
12-05-2012, 11:59 PM
RainbowDash
20% Cooler

vCash: 500
Anyone else glad we traded Setoguchi?

Curious as to who else holds my same position. Seto just clearly was not going to work out with us long term. No defensive responsibility and often is too snakebitten for a goal scorer.

When he wasn't scoring goals, he was practically useless. For a goal scorer, he lacked finish and execution and it didn't look like he was going to figure it out anytime soon. He relies too much on others in order to get scoring chances.

What we got in return for trading him is much better. Burns is just a far better skater, knows how to finish, and can create his own offense.

This is simply only based on the on ice.

Off the ice, is another story that isn't flattering for Seto. Burns is an all star off the ice, while Seto absolutely isn't. Seto was mostly a liability.

We are yet to see the results of Coyle + Phillips, but overall we should be happy that we let Seto go.

RainbowDash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 12:11 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#healBurish

vCash: 567
I just never liked him. Something about him rubs me the wrong way.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 12:43 AM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
I just never liked him. Something about him rubs me the wrong way.
Well, as a girl, you are better off not liking dudes like Seto.

I liked Seto but I was more upset about losing the prospects. Still, it was a good trade and I hope Burns lives up to the hype and potential.

Kitten Mittons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 12:48 AM
WTFetus

I'm impartial. He certainly wasn't useless when he wasn't scoring. His physicality and his speed made him a great forechecker.
As much as I love Burns, I think the Sharks would have been better off not making this trade, but still trading Heatley for Havlat and re-signing Wellwood and White. The d-core wouldn't be amazing, but it'd be above average, while the Top-9 would be outstanding. This is assuming there wasn't anything going on behind the scenes where a Top-6 forward didn't want to play on the 3rd line.

Of course, even with all the trades, just re-signing Wellwood and not signing Handzus would have made the team a lot better.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 12:54 AM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
As much as I love Burns, I think the Sharks would have been better off not making this trade, but still trading Heatley for Havlat and re-signing Wellwood and White. The d-core wouldn't be amazing, but it'd be above average, while the Top-9 would be outstanding. This is assuming there wasn't anything going on behind the scenes where a Top-6 forward didn't want to play on the 3rd line.
I think the Burns trade was made more for the future than now. DW knows he has to replace Boyle down the road, so he found the next best thing without giving up roster players and hurting the "now" chances (too badly).

I am still not sure about the Heatley trade but I'm not sure if it's because Heater was my homeboy or because Havlat is a soft contact-avoiding glass man that does not provide the offense that we need but rather more of Clowe/Jumbo style play... just faster... but much softer.

Kitten Mittons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 12:58 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#healBurish

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
Well, as a girl, you are better off not liking dudes like Seto.

I liked Seto but I was more upset about losing the prospects. Still, it was a good trade and I hope Burns lives up to the hype and potential.
Clearly I have great taste. It takes real brains to tell that Seto's a massive *********.

I was definitely more upset about losing Coyle. Yeah, Seto was a good fit and a first is a first, but Coyle was a winner from the start.

For the record, I'm still in favor of the Burns deal.

As for Heater... Man, I was bummed to see him go, but his even strength skills were on a huge decline and we're not a good even strength scoring team to begin with. Havlat is a better fit, skills-wise and contract-wise.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 01:44 AM
YouJustGotPavelskied

Hard to tell without this season lol

YouJustGotPavelskied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 02:10 AM
Mafoofoo
Hockey

After seeing how Burns statline for this season currently reads 0G 0A 0PTS I dunno if we made the right choice.

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 02:22 AM
Oppa
#FunMustBeAlways

vCash: 50
No! You don't know anything!

Y'all nothing but a bunch o dumb dumbs

now leave me be

Oppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 02:56 AM
VP and GM
Havlat Sucks!

I'm ok in losing Seto, he was somewhat in consistent and may not have much more upside to his game. To me the loss of prospects hurts the most as we could have used them for the very soon to come re-build.

VP and GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 03:08 AM
JayP812
The Fin is In

vCash: 401
He was an exciting player to watch, fast, hell of a shot, but often refused to play D. He was and still is so streaky. He'll have 3 multi-point games in a row and decide that's enough for the month. Liked him for entertainment but not for actually winning.

Burns has done everything he's asked to do. Seems like a real leader once Boyle, Jumbo, and Patty are gone. Cannot say the same for Seto.

JayP812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 03:24 AM
wtfisthis

I'd take Burns in return all day every day. Hes still fairly young so he'll still be a huge part of the team in the upcoming rebuild, hes big, skates well, is pretty good at both ends and can still improve. Defensemen like that arent exactly common in this league.

wtfisthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 04:05 AM
Phu

Burns is clearly the far superior package at his position but we gave up a lot more than Seto for him. Seto himself, I liked, he did have a bit of playoff magic and he did put it out there on the ice.

Overall though Burns is far more important a piece to the team.

Phu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 12:22 PM
AnderFunk

The only problem with Seto was that his cap hit didn't justify what he brought to the table. And yes we did give him that cap hit but only because it's what the market dictated

AnderFunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 12:24 PM
Ninja Hertl
formerly sharkohol

This actual hockey talk confuses me. Stop it.

Ninja Hertl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 12:33 PM
magic school bus

Wilson overpaid him at the time and I'm pretty sure a lot of the people on this site called him out on that. I love his energy as a player when he was in the zone. Just wish we could've eased him into harder minutes, maybe he'd be a better player now if we did.

I'll miss that sweet right handed one-timed. It was like we had Iginla on the team.

magic school bus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 12:34 PM
hockeyball

I'm glad we got Burns, don't really care about Seto. When that trade was announced I held my breath when they said Coyle, but Seto... meh.

Coyle will be the part that hurts long term, but it was still the right move. We need Burns more than we need Coyle.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 12:52 PM
Trojan35

Liked Seto, sad to see him go. Burns was more what the Sharks needed, a more rare commodity, and a better building block for the future.

All that said, Burns needs to rebound this year & going forward to justify the prospects given up.

Trojan35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 01:28 PM
SactoShork
fun must be alwalys

I think Seto deserved a shot at that #2 defenseman role before they traded him away.

SactoShork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 07:53 PM
bigwillie

Send a message via AIM to bigwillie
I definitely liked Seto, but I ****ing love Brent Burns.

bigwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 08:00 PM
WTFetus

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
Wilson overpaid him at the time and I'm pretty sure a lot of the people on this site called him out on that.
I don't remember anyone saying Setoguchi was overpaid. 3 million seemed fair at the time, and it's a good deal now considering what others were paid this off-season.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 10:17 PM
Eighth Fret

Seto took a discount when he re-signed with us. It was a very fair deal for the Sharks. I miss his offensive capabilities, but I don't miss his tendency to coast. I hated seeing Coyle go, but our prospect pool was so shallow that he was the only option to throw in the deal. Overall, it's much harder to find a player like Burns than a player like Seto.

Eighth Fret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 11:19 AM
RainbowDash
20% Cooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
Wilson overpaid him at the time and I'm pretty sure a lot of the people on this site called him out on that. I love his energy as a player when he was in the zone. Just wish we could've eased him into harder minutes, maybe he'd be a better player now if we did.

I'll miss that sweet right handed one-timed. It was like we had Iginla on the team.
????

If we had an Iginla on the team, we would not have traded him, or held onto Coyle from the package. Iginla ACTUALLY elevates the puck and actually roofs it.

Seto's one timer wasn't special. It was merely acceptable. If you inspect it further, you'd notice that he had this amazing ability to NEVER find the soft spots in the slot. It was like if you going to pass it to him for a one timer, you'd have to hope that it actually gets there. If it got there, you'd be lucky if it didn't get blocked or go wide.

This is what makes it plainly obvious that Seto isn't going to become a consistant 30 goal scorer. Compare him to Couture or even Heatley, they found the soft spots pretty much anywhere and got better scoring chances on a more consistant basis.

RainbowDash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 12:59 PM
CrazedZooChimp
Not enough guts

vCash: 1875
Send a message via AIM to CrazedZooChimp
I miss having his speed, and I think he was a more aggressive forechecker than almost anyone we have left (at least in my memory, maybe I'm wrong, it's been so long since I've watched hockey). Getting Burns was fantastic, but I still kind of wish we had Seto on the team as a second line wing (or someone equally fast/aggressive). Of course, Burns cost a lot more than just Seto too, but it is nice to have a stud defensman for a long time. If the Sharks ever play another game, that is...

CrazedZooChimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 07:08 PM
BCShark

im okay with it, didnt like him much. wasnt he known for being a huge party boi in san jose?

BCShark is online now   Reply With Quote