HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Dallas's New Uni's - UPDATE: Green will be the dominant colour.

Old
12-04-2012, 03:31 PM
TrillMike

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 View Post
I used to love Dallas's jerseys because I love green and I feel it's an underused color in the league. Obviously, the current jerseys suck. But I don't think the color scheme needs to change.

Would it even be possible for the Stars to return to their old star-shape jerseys? Or is Reebok unwilling to manufacture a design like that?
Reebok is the reason Dallas wears their current jerseys. The Star outline required more effort for Reebok to make. There is a very detailed explanation on one of the first pages in this thread.

TrillMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 03:33 PM
TrillMike

Found it on page 3. Here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Reebok was able to do it as well, they just chose not to.

Dallas' old jerseys (the star pattern) were from dye sublimating, which involves converting solid directly into gas without a stopover in the liquid stage. What it means is that you can create incredibly ornate designs. The NHL designs that were sublimated included:
- Anaheim's Wild Wing alternates
- Los Angeles' Burger King alternates
- Columbus' old home/road (the stars on the ends of the sleevs)
- Dallas' star-patterned home and road
- Islanders' wavy motif (Fisherman logo and regular)
- and several more

If you take one of these jerseys and flip it inside out, you'll see that the inside is generally some shade of white, while the outside is this intricate design.

The other style is cut-and-sew. This involves actually cutting pieces of fabric, and then sewing it all together. You can identify this by flipping the shirt inside out; if the inside is the same color as the outside, it's cut-and-sew. (Or actually woven in; that's if you can spot the individual weaving. It'll look like pixels along the borders, rather than a completely crisp straight line.)

Dallas was sublimated. Colorado was cut-and-sew. The problem with Colorado's is that their mountain pattern was extremely labor intensive. It involved these zig-zagged lines, and many different pieces sewn together to create the final product. But it was a huge pain, and Reebok sure isn't going to actually pay for additional labor for a non-premier team. Sure, if they had the roster from the early-2000s, and people were going to be buying shirts of Forsberg, Sakic, Roy, and Bourque, they'd have considered it...going into a rebuilding cycle, no way.

With Dallas, sublimating simply didn't work. It's not labor-intensive at all, but it is time-intensive. Sublimating involves printing off sheets of dye, then heat-pressing them into blank white fabric. Printing dye isn't a fast process, and the amount of time needed to fully sublimate the fabric isn't either.

Why did CCM sublimate? Because they could. Why doesn't Reebok? Because they don't feel like it. Why did CCM cut-and-sew Colorado's design? Because Starter did it originally, and they felt like they had to keep the same design (otherwise they never would have gone for it). Why doesn't Reebok? Because they don't feel like it.

I'll give Reebok credit for at least attempting to upgrade the on-ice jersey, which CCM (lazy in their own way) never did. But in many ways, they're a pain in the ass to deal with. Their production costs are minimal, the cost that they charge every retailer is both astronomical and absolutely obscene, and they continually try to sneak things past everyone and hope that no one notices. The Indo-Edge from last year is a glaring example, but far from the only one.

TrillMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 04:38 PM
Jerk Store
Classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillmike View Post
Found it on page 3. Here:
Great info! Thanks for that

Jerk Store is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 05:13 PM
Hockey Fan #751

Speaking of terrible Dallas Stars related jerseys, does anyone know why the H-E-double hockey sticks the Texas Stars jerseys follow the same pattern as Dallas except they stick the number in the corner and just leave a white space under the wordmark??

Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 05:35 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillmike View Post
Reebok is the reason Dallas wears their current jerseys. The Star outline required more effort for Reebok to make. There is a very detailed explanation on one of the first pages in this thread.
Reebok isn't the only reason. Every team had the opportunity to re-brand themselves, with logos, color schemes, and wordmark changes.

About 10 teams didn't seem to have any problem with it. Dallas and Toronto both decided that practice jerseys were a bit too exciting, and unrolled the bland garbage that they did. It was the jersey equivalent of boiled cabbage.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 06:16 PM
Baby Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastuhNinks View Post

Please just bring back these beauties.
I agree, these were lovely.

Baby Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 08:27 PM
icerocket

The green ones were awesome.

Detroit is red, Colorado is maroon and Dallas is green.

icerocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 09:17 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan #751 View Post
Speaking of terrible Dallas Stars related jerseys, does anyone know why the H-E-double hockey sticks the Texas Stars jerseys follow the same pattern as Dallas except they stick the number in the corner and just leave a white space under the wordmark??
Because Dallas has the idea that they need to have "continuous branding", where their AHL team needs to look basically exactly the same as the NHL team. It's not exactly something new; NHL teams used to send their blank jerseys down to their AHL or IHL affiliate. Even with teams that have different logos, it's normally on the same basic jersey as the parent team.

The problem is that, for the most part, they're boring. They always have been. Teams like the early Springfield Falcons had a unique scheme and logo (and certainly design). This is what I respect about Hershey and Rochester. They've been around forever, and they basically tell their NHL parent to piss off when it comes to changing colors and logos.

The AHL should be a breeding ground for all sorts of experimental things, whether with rule changes or with how the teams look. Can anyone tell me that Detroit wouldn't look good with an alternate very similar to this?

Old
12-04-2012, 09:26 PM
mikitas donut
The Hammer!

Quote:
Reebok isn't the only reason. Every team had the opportunity to re-brand themselves, with logos, color schemes, and wordmark changes.

About 10 teams didn't seem to have any problem with it. Dallas and Toronto both decided that practice jerseys were a bit too exciting, and unrolled the bland garbage that they did. It was the jersey equivalent of boiled cabbage.
True. Reebok is the reason they couldn't use the same star design, but that didn't mean they had to make something boring.

mikitas donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 11:07 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
Every team wants to be like the original.

Actually, they weren't. The first team to wear that uni was the Hull Olympiques...

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 11:20 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 2725
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Actually, they weren't. The first team to wear that uni was the Hull Olympiques...
First team to wear black jerseys?

12-04-2012, 11:52 PM
Stephen

I think Dallas needs to stick to their identity as a "green" team, but maybe the green needs some updating and freshening up. How about something along the lines of what the London Knights were doing a few years ago? Go for a lighter green, brighten things up.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 12:19 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

I don't think i've ever liked one Dallas Stars jersey. Can't stand the dark green or black. Go with the Cowboys colors. Not just because of the Cowboys but because gray and blue together it not a common color in the NHL.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 11:50 AM
WilderPegasus*
A REAL Senators fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Wow! You're completely out to lunch in this one. Hull copied the Kings uniforms after Gretzky bought the team.

WilderPegasus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 11:57 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
Too many red/blue teams, they should stick with their own colour scheme.
NYR, Florida, NJ, Washington, Ottawa, Buffalo, TB, Toronto, Winnipeg, Carolina, Montreal, Vancouver, St. Louis, Phoenix, Detroit, Calgary, Chicago, Columbus, Edmonton, and the NYI all have either red or blue as their base colour in their home jerseys...

So 20/30 teams use one of those two colours as their primary colour. Yep, pretty original.

416Leafer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 12:46 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilderPegasus View Post
Wow! You're completely out to lunch in this one. Hull copied the Kings uniforms after Gretzky bought the team.
The timing is off. Gretzky bought the team in 1985, but wasn't traded to Los Angeles until 1988. For the interim years, Hull kept wearing their blue and golds.

Old
12-05-2012, 12:46 PM
bsmith14

We dont need another Washington Capitals/Columbus Blue Jackets "Mr. Emurrica" jersey. Stick with the green and black. As another poster said, the London Knights use green in a fantastic way. Dallas could do something similar.

bsmith14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 12:49 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

vCash: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I think Dallas needs to stick to their identity as a "green" team, but maybe the green needs some updating and freshening up. How about something along the lines of what the London Knights were doing a few years ago? Go for a lighter green, brighten things up.

Good suggestion. Really like that shade of green.

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 08:17 PM
Robbler

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undecided View Post

Love that movie.

Robbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 08:24 PM
Nose Face Killah
It's Tuukka Time

I'm not a fan of the Stars but I say keep the green. Too many red, white and blue teams. Dallas has something unique with their jersey colors.

Nose Face Killah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 08:27 PM
HisIceness
Michal Jordan

JMO but please no. I actually like the Stars colors.

HisIceness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 08:50 PM
Hockey Fan #751

Quote:
Because Dallas has the idea that they need to have "continuous branding", where their AHL team needs to look basically exactly the same as the NHL team. It's not exactly something new; NHL teams used to send their blank jerseys down to their AHL or IHL affiliate. Even with teams that have different logos, it's normally on the same basic jersey as the parent team.
My biggest question is why the Texas Stars don't have numbers under the TEXAS wordmark on their home white jerseys (especially when they do for their road darks). Seems silly at best or a massive oversight at worst.

Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 10:28 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan #751 View Post
My biggest question is why the Texas Stars don't have numbers under the TEXAS wordmark on their home white jerseys (especially when they do for their road darks). Seems silly at best or a massive oversight at worst.
I wouldn't be able to say with certainty, but I can present a few plausible theories.

1) Dallas wants their AHL team to look slightly different. One can only imagine why.

2) Having numbers placed directly under the wordmark means that they have to be perfectly placed, or else it's obvious if they're off. With the hurried and lower-budget nature of minor league hockey, it's possible that this was a way of alleviating that.

3) It's possible that it was an error. Dallas had a white jersey with the logo on the front and the numbers in the corner; it's possible that there was supposed to be a Texas logo on the front, but it got messed up. Trust me, weird things happen in the minors. And occasionally in the NHL, as Columbus' pink number fiasco from a few years ago shows.

4) It's possible that Dallas wanted to experiment and see if their jerseys would look better with the numbers above the arched word. Notice that the Texas number font is slightly different than Dallas; Texas is green trimmed in gold, while Dallas has a layer of black as well.

Old
12-06-2012, 03:12 AM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post

I would rather an NHL franchise not adopt the identity of a CHL team.

The stars have had some great jersey

ArGarBarGar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 04:25 AM
JayP812
The Team of Tomorrow

vCash: 455
The black-green-gold scheme they got going on is nice. The jerseys are very bland, fix them but keep the colors.

JayP812 is offline   Reply With Quote