HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

biggest name to be bought out

Old
12-06-2012, 04:21 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

vCash: 500
biggest name to be bought out

Assuming the new CBA has a buyout clause like it did the last time who will be the biggest name to be bought out? I am not talking about gomez or komi i'm talking about guys that are still effective but may be faced why a buyout due to the drop in the cap.

Furthermore where do they end up?

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 04:29 AM
duul

vCash: 50
Horcoff

duul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 04:50 AM
StringerBell

Tim Thomas

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 04:53 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
Tim Thomas
he might already be retired if he is he doesn't count

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 05:00 AM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
Tim Thomas
I really get the feeling that won't happen. I get the feeling that whenever the CBA gets done, Thomas' cap hit will no longer count against Boston.

I think I understand why the old CBA was written this way, but it doesn't and wasn't meant to apply to this situation, so it is just a hunch

Even if nothing changes with the CBA, the Bruins roster is pretty much all set, the could use a 7th D maybe, but that is it. They also have Savard's $4 million that they can use at any time if they put him on LTIR.

Lastly, and probably most importantly, if they bought him out they would actually have to pay him, as things sit now they pay him $0.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 05:06 AM
startainfection

yashin?

oh i didn't read, never mind

startainfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 05:10 AM
boredmale

I don't think he will be bought out but maybe Brierre on Philly? 3 years left on the deal and a NMC, might hurt them in a year or 2 so they might just get out of it now(assuming they have a get out of jail free card not having to absorb the caphit)

Since the deal is front loaded it would be relatively cheap to buy out the contract(he makes 3M and 2M in the last 2 seasons) so they can have 6.5M in capspace.

Last edited by boredmale: 12-06-2012 at 05:16 AM.
boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 05:44 AM
WTFetus

Not that I think it'll happen, but the first name to come to mind after reading the criteria in the OP was Ballard.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 06:38 AM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
I don't think he will be bought out but maybe Brierre on Philly? 3 years left on the deal and a NMC, might hurt them in a year or 2 so they might just get out of it now(assuming they have a get out of jail free card not having to absorb the caphit)

Since the deal is front loaded it would be relatively cheap to buy out the contract(he makes 3M and 2M in the last 2 seasons) so they can have 6.5M in capspace.
I don't see the Flyers buying out Briere, not while he still is playing at the level he was last year. Briere is a pretty good player to have and since we don't know what the new CBA will look like, I would guess that Briere would get somewhere in the neighborhood of what his cap hit is now. It would probably be pretty darn easy to trade Briere at the deadline if the Flyers for some reason that would boggle my mind decided to do that, in my opinion.

How many teams wouldn't want one of the most prolific playoff goalscorers of the last few years to add to their roster if they had the cap space?

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 06:42 AM
palindrom

Maybe Kaberle?

According to how a new CBA will affect his value.

palindrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 06:46 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
A list with likely players from each team would be nice.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 06:59 AM
kimzey59

I'll go with Danny Heatley( still good but not worth 7.5 mil, didn't seem to mesh in Minnesota, pretty much replaced by Parise) being the best and Ales Hemsky and Niklas Hjalmarsson(both heavily shopped last summer) topping the 2nd teir.

If there is an immunity buyout, I expect you'll mostly overpriced 3/4 liners/ bottom pairing D men(Stajan, Gomez, Ballard, Ohlund) being the ones bought out. I doubt you'll see many headliners.

kimzey59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 07:11 AM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Ward or Schultz from the Caps.
Ward because he has three more years @ 3M/year.
Schultz because we have a lot of LD though he only has one year @ 2.75M/year.

fedfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 07:34 AM
bobbyflex

Leino
or Bryzgalov

I wonder of Lightning would buy out Vinny. His contract gets worse and worse as each day passes

bobbyflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 07:37 AM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
I really, really, really hope there is no immunity buyout in the new CBA. GMs should have to pay the price (in real $$$ and cap hit) for signing bad deals, just as GMs who are smart, sign good deals, and manage the cap efficiently should be able to reap the benefits of it. The whole idea of a 'get out of jail free' card via immunity buyout really rubs me the wrong way.

internetdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 08:10 AM
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by internetdotcom View Post
I really, really, really hope there is no immunity buyout in the new CBA. GMs should have to pay the price (in real $$$ and cap hit) for signing bad deals, just as GMs who are smart, sign good deals, and manage the cap efficiently should be able to reap the benefits of it. The whole idea of a 'get out of jail free' card via immunity buyout really rubs me the wrong way.
Okay, then if teams aren't allowed to buy the players out, then old ****** deals should get grandfathered in and Redden should be allowed to stay in Hartford.

The Rangers followed the rules with Redden, but they shouldn't be allowed out of it if they change the rule in middle of the contract? That's less fair than what the Rangers did in the first place.

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." -31-
Screw You Rick Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 08:16 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by internetdotcom View Post
They signed all those contracts under a different CBA. All of those front-loaded retirement deals, overpaid players being buried in the AHL/Europe, etc. are all within the rules. Why should the GM's be punished for the rules changing?

tsujimoto74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 08:30 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbr_24 View Post
I don't see the Flyers buying out Briere, not while he still is playing at the level he was last year. Briere is a pretty good player to have and since we don't know what the new CBA will look like, I would guess that Briere would get somewhere in the neighborhood of what his cap hit is now. It would probably be pretty darn easy to trade Briere at the deadline if the Flyers for some reason that would boggle my mind decided to do that, in my opinion.

How many teams wouldn't want one of the most prolific playoff goalscorers of the last few years to add to their roster if they had the cap space?
Briere is 35 now and will be 37 by time the contract ends. One reason why they might not trade him even if they fear his production won't be worth 6.5M is it would be fairly easy to trade him to a team who isn't fighting against the upper cap in his last 2 years(but he still has that NMC if he doesn't want to move) since as I pointed out he gets 5M over the final 2 years

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 08:40 AM
newham89

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflex View Post
Leino
or Bryzgalov

I wonder of Lightning would buy out Vinny. His contract gets worse and worse as each day passes
No, they won't.

newham89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 08:43 AM
pdd

Crosby.

But seriously, Luongo might end up going that route.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 08:45 AM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzey59 View Post
I'll go with Danny Heatley( still good but not worth 7.5 mil, didn't seem to mesh in Minnesota, pretty much replaced by Parise) being the best and Ales Hemsky and Niklas Hjalmarsson(both heavily shopped last summer) topping the 2nd teir.

If there is an immunity buyout, I expect you'll mostly overpriced 3/4 liners/ bottom pairing D men(Stajan, Gomez, Ballard, Ohlund) being the ones bought out. I doubt you'll see many headliners.
Ummm what?

He was shoppped, BEFORE signing an extension because he has value.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 09:02 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflex View Post
Leino
or Bryzgalov

I hope not, that would cue up the Vinny to the Habs crap again.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 09:04 AM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
Crosby.

But seriously, Luongo might end up going that route.
Crosby!

This might actually be the way forward for Vancouver. The Aquilinis signed Luongo and the hockey men have gone another direction. For men as rich as this a buy-out is an honorable way to save face.

In the event of a bought out contract I think Luongo just plays a year in Florida and retires. Conceivably he chases a ring in Philadelphia or Boston but I don't really think so.

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 09:09 AM
TGV

Tampa relishes of losing Lecavalier

TGV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 09:09 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzey59 View Post

I don't think Heatley will be a candidate. After this shortened season, he only has 1 season left on his contract with a 5mil actual salary. You'd have to think that a cap floor team like the Islanders who may be looking for high end talent would take a chance on a guy like that, especially with that contract. Heck, even Minnesota I doubt would want to pan him off for nothing, typically they don't have the easiest time in signing 1st line talent.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote