HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Game times to kill Canadian WJC buzz? (TSN's broadcast schedule)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-05-2012, 09:35 AM
  #151
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,939
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruktbomb View Post
Let's not forget that this is the case for European fans almost every year. I know that most WJC fans live in Canada, but it's an international tournament, not "North American Junior Championship".
Odd, I've never had this problem watching the euro, world cup, champions league, or any olympics that have ever been aired.

GM17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 10:09 AM
  #152
Rob Brown
Way She Goes
 
Rob Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,094
vCash: 500
Pretty bad for NA fans, but it's fair and all. I'll be able to watch the Dec 26th game, 28th I'll be on a plane on WestJet and might be able to catch some since they have live TV. I'm excited for the 30th though, probably just drink and head to the bars the night before and stay up to watch it. 31st I'll be at work, but there's a TV in eyesight so I can still watch.

Rob Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 10:48 AM
  #153
startainfection
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Long Island
Posts: 5,492
vCash: 500
they should just broadcast them at a later time

startainfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 10:49 AM
  #154
Tom ServoMST3K
I am Catbug
 
Tom ServoMST3K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Peg City
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,646
vCash: 50
Would have preferred Canada in more 9am eastern games, At 4 am, I cant stay up that late, or get up that early without completely ****ing up my sleep schedule,

Tom ServoMST3K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 10:53 AM
  #155
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!
 
Leo Trollmarov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
they should just broadcast them at a later time
I'll get on the phone with TSN right now, wouldn't want them to overlook this!!!

Leo Trollmarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 10:59 AM
  #156
EbencoyE
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 1,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM17 View Post
Odd, I've never had this problem watching the euro, world cup, champions league, or any olympics that have ever been aired.
Probably because none of those things ever take place in western asia.......

EbencoyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 11:32 AM
  #157
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,939
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbencoyE View Post
Probably because none of those things ever take place in western asia.......
2 hour differences from events held in Moscow, Beijing, India, Western Australia.

0 hour difference from many KHL games that are available to us.

Nvm the fact that Canada+USA have almost entirely a 5am AST schedule but Russia who'd be the easiest to slot in at that time slot gets the 10am AST schedule.

It's dumb.

GM17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 12:13 PM
  #158
canuck2010
Registered User
 
canuck2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 578
vCash: 500
As a WJC veteran fan from the time Canada starting sending club teams I say c'est la vie. We get the tourney every two years so I can't complain.

A bigger buzz killer for me is the possible return of the NHL which could have a very big impact on the WJC.

canuck2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 01:02 PM
  #159
flames12
Registered User
 
flames12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 909
vCash: 500
Dunno if I'll be watching this year so stupid. Russia why you no start games at 9am?


Last edited by hototogisu: 12-05-2012 at 01:28 PM. Reason: say what you mean & mean what you say
flames12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 01:08 PM
  #160
fedfed
Moderator
@FedFedRMNB
 
fedfed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Moscow City
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 3,101
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flames12 View Post
Dunno if I'll be watching this year so stupid. Russia why you no start games at 9am?
Because 9AM ET is 8PM in Ufa. 9AM Calgary is 10 PM in Ufa.


Last edited by hototogisu: 12-05-2012 at 01:29 PM.
fedfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 01:11 PM
  #161
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!
 
Leo Trollmarov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flames12 View Post
Dunno if I'll be watching this year so stupid. Russia why you no start games at 9am?
If they went 9am, it would be 9am EST, but that will never happen because it doesn't make sense for the home town crowd.


Last edited by hototogisu: 12-05-2012 at 01:29 PM.
Leo Trollmarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 01:15 PM
  #162
Jussi
I am siege face
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Finland
Posts: 39,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flames12 View Post
Dunno if I'll be watching this year so stupid. Russia why you no start games at 9am?
Why doesn't Canada (when hosting) start all the games at 9 or 10 am local time to please the European fans? Totally gay watching Finland play in the middle of the night....


Last edited by hototogisu: 12-05-2012 at 01:29 PM.
Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 06:17 PM
  #163
gonzo11
Give the dog a bone
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: hf retirement home
Country: United Nations
Posts: 47,638
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly Winkle View Post
This isn't new information or anything, but it struck me to look up when Canada will actually be playing since the tournament is overseas. Who's up for some 4am ET/1 am PT games? I realize Russia gets the prime game times for their home crowd but this looks like a nightmare for TSN ratings. I recall watching early morning games in the past. Nothing this early though. Maybe they are subject to change?

http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/feature/?id=62670
2013 World Junior Hockey Championship

Wednesday, December 26 Canada vs. Germany 4am/1am TSN
Slovakia vs. Russia 9am/6am TSN
Thursday, December 27 USA vs. Germany 9am/6am TSN
Friday, December 28 Canada vs. Slovakia 4am/1am TSN
Russia vs. USA 9am/6am TSN
Saturday, December 29 Germany vs. Russia 9am/6am TSN
Sunday, December 30 Canada vs. USA 4am/1am TSN
Slovakia vs. Germany 9am/6am TSN2
Monday, December 31 Canada vs. Russia 8:30am/5:30am TSN
USA vs. Slovakia 5am/2am TSN

Monday, January 2 Quarterfinal 4am/1am TSN
Quarterfinal 7:30am/4:30am TSN
Thursday, January 3 Semifinal 4am/1am TSN
Semifinal 7:30am/4:30am TSN
Saturday, January 5 Gold Medal Game 7:30am/4:30am TSN
Bronze Medal Game 4am/1am TSN
living in England I love the times

gonzo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 07:20 AM
  #164
Breakfast of Champs
Registered User
 
Breakfast of Champs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,144
vCash: 500
5:30 am game times in Atlantic Canada isn't so bad I guess. Just means I'll have to go to bed early but at least the NYE game isn't until 10.

Here's hoping that Canada gets slotted in the later times for the medal round as well.

Breakfast of Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 07:27 AM
  #165
Stats01
Registered User
 
Stats01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,082
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs at Knight View Post
Pretty stupid since they're gonna lose thousands of viewers, but oh well . Ill pbly man up and watch them.
How is it stupid? We can't host the tournament every year, it plays to our advantages too much. Eventually other countries wouldn't even bring their A teams because they know Canada always has the home crowd advantage. You have to throw them a bone once and while. I think most of us can handle this for one year...a lot of moaning in here.

I know I will be waking up and watching it live.

Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 07:35 AM
  #166
Stats01
Registered User
 
Stats01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,082
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotton500 View Post
Hopefully I don't sound too hipster....

TSN has really turned the World Juniors into a mainstream event in Canada, where people who rarely watch hockey are getting emotionally involved in games.

Personally, I liked it a lot better when only hockey fans watched, Paul Romanuk was the announcer, and the games were in the morning (not as early as 4:30 am though)

There was nothing better than waking up as a kid on Christmas break and watching good hockey.
I miss those days. 1993-1997 was an amazing time for Canadian WJH. 5 gold medals in a row, hearing Paul Romanuk was awesome as well.

Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 07:37 AM
  #167
Stats01
Registered User
 
Stats01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,082
vCash: 500
For those complaining about the time difference..

You can now stop because from 2015 to 2021 the tournament is held in Canada or the U.S 5 times! With the other two slots yet to be determined.


2013 Ufa Russia[8]
2014 Malmö Sweden[9]
2015 Canada[10]
2016
2017 Canada[10]
2018 United States[11]
2019 Canada[10]
2020
2021 Canada[10]

Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 07:42 AM
  #168
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,939
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
For those complaining about the time difference..

You can now stop because from 2015 to 2021 the tournament is held in Canada or the U.S 5 times! With the other two slots yet to be determined.


2013 Ufa Russia[8]
2014 Malmö Sweden[9]
2015 Canada[10]
2016
2017 Canada[10]
2018 United States[11]
2019 Canada[10]
2020
2021 Canada[10]
My personal frustrations aside, it's a bad business move. They could have put the eastern/central european teams at the earlier timeslot and Canada USA in the later timeslots and seen formidable viewerships. Instead they reversed it for the most part and are going to lose money as a result. That kind of logic is just annoying. More frustrating than not being able to actually watch the games.

GM17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 07:54 AM
  #169
fedfed
Moderator
@FedFedRMNB
 
fedfed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Moscow City
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 3,101
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM17 View Post
My personal frustrations aside, it's a bad business move. They could have put the eastern/central european teams at the earlier timeslot and Canada USA in the later timeslots and seen formidable viewerships. Instead they reversed it for the most part and are going to lose money as a result. That kind of logic is just annoying. More frustrating than not being able to actually watch the games.
They put all games of Team Russia in prime time and that's #1 reason why Canada/USA play so early. Aside from Canada/USA game, that's the main reason.

fedfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 08:17 AM
  #170
Stats01
Registered User
 
Stats01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,082
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fedfed View Post
They put all games of Team Russia in prime time and that's #1 reason why Canada/USA play so early. Aside from Canada/USA game, that's the main reason.
Exactly, it happens in every sport. The big market/host teams get the prime time television slots. Thats why you hear Canuck fans complaining that they have to start at 4 p.m when they play the Leafs. The reason is CBC and the NHL want that game at 7 p.m ET to get the biggest viewership possible. Toronto is obviously the largest hockey market in the world so of course they will cater to them if they want the biggest ratings.

For the WJHC people who work there aren't stupid. They're not going to put a Canada-Germany game in their preferred time slot because they aren't catering to the Canadian audience this year. Host team gets what they want. They want to play at 8 pm Russian time then thats what will happen.


Last edited by Stats01: 12-06-2012 at 08:23 AM.
Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 08:18 AM
  #171
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,939
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fedfed View Post
They put all games of Team Russia in prime time and that's #1 reason why Canada/USA play so early. Aside from Canada/USA game, that's the main reason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
Exactly, it happens in every sport. The big market/host teams get the prime time television slots.
You both missed the point.

GM17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 08:49 AM
  #172
kp61c
Registered User
 
kp61c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Moscow
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 644
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
For those complaining about the time difference..

You can now stop because from 2015 to 2021 the tournament is held in Canada or the U.S 5 times! With the other two slots yet to be determined.


2013 Ufa Russia[8]
2014 Malmö Sweden[9]
2015 Canada[10]
2016
2017 Canada[10]
2018 United States[11]
2019 Canada[10]
2020
2021 Canada[10]
why this tournament called WJC, itll be more reasonable to name it North America Cup (canada cup) or smth. like this. and so much whining here. its disgusting

kp61c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 08:52 AM
  #173
SeriousHabs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Montreal
Posts: 2,620
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Or, you know, those who have work and/or school.

It's absolutely stupid to hold this tournament outside of North America when you consider revenues and who ultimately cares about the results.
Because we all know hoards of people work and go to school between Christmas and New Years!

SeriousHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 09:00 AM
  #174
irunthepeg
THE ONE WHO KNOCKS
 
irunthepeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The Peg, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,731
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kp61c View Post
why this tournament called WJC, itll be more reasonable to name it North America Cup (canada cup) or smth. like this. and so much whining here. its disgusting
Gee, time to lump all sides of a fanbase into one barrel and label them!

There are plenty of us North Americans who have stated we're fine with this. There will be people complaining on both sides, no matter what.

irunthepeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 09:01 AM
  #175
Pyrophorus
Registered User
 
Pyrophorus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Eastern GTA
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,450
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Is there a time difference between Ufa and Sochi?

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:17 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.