HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Capuano's Grade

View Poll Results: What would you grade Capuano to this point?
A 2 2.67%
B 2 2.67%
C 26 34.67%
D 27 36.00%
F 18 24.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-23-2012, 04:20 PM
On Edge

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by malPHONEY View Post
As much respect as Al Arbour warrants, when he was given a bad lineup his teams played badly and gave up a lot of goals.

Do I think the team would have done slightly better? Yeah, but there's that whole 800 pound gorilla of "Little Talent" in the room. All I'm saying is there reaches a point when you have a coach fired every other year that he becomes a scapegoat.
I do think coaching in this league does amount to significant difference in performance - probably more than any league other than NFL. I think Arbour would have gotten a 10% better performance than Capuano. That's about a 8 game differential.

The talent level is mid level in the league probably. I do not believe there is a huge differntial in talent from teams like the Islanders and teams that finish 6-8 in each conference - in the playoffs. Top flight coaching would make significant difference.

I also think that Capuano stinks.

On Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 05:17 PM
DarkHorse
Go Banana!

I have a hard time believing there's another coach in this league who would watch one of their players take the clipboard and draw up a play during a time-out.

Capuano is simply awful.
- He can't adjust mid-game.
- He doesn't know when to pull a goalie.
- He shows no investment in the game while behind the bench.
- He refuses to change lines when they aren't working.
- His teams are ill-prepared when they hit the ice, resulting in frequent early goals-against.

DarkHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 02:30 AM
leaponover

Quote:
Originally Posted by malPHONEY View Post
As much respect as Al Arbour warrants, when he was given a bad lineup his teams played badly and gave up a lot of goals.

Do I think the team would have done slightly better? Yeah, but there's that whole 800 pound gorilla of "Little Talent" in the room. All I'm saying is there reaches a point when you have a coach fired every other year that he becomes a scapegoat.
Some of this is true but you are terribly short sighted in just looking at the outcome in the W/L for what a coach does. A coach can still teach strong work ethic, killer instinct, professional attitude, discipline, and a winning attitude regardless of the talent level. That's why Al Arbor is considered an excellent coach. By the time the talent level increased he already had a system in place that was a formula for success. Please don't ever think that having good players teaches you how to be a good coach or makes you a good coach. It starts WAY before that. That's why Cappy gets a C in my book. He's just not seasoned enough for what we need to get the "attitude" of this team turned around.

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 04:09 PM
OrangeZebra
Unregistered User

AHL Coach who should have never stayed in the NHL. C-

OrangeZebra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 07:08 PM
kirant
Kiprusoffarian

I gave D. He doesn't seem to do much...no adjustments to the system, just plug and go. Little proactive work with the team and seems unsure of his own hockey sense, so he falls back on what he's tried.

At the same time he's on your team possibly due to the fact that he'd accept minimum wage and has a bottom 10 team to work with. He can't bear all the blame. It's not like Mike Babcock would take them that far.

kirant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 11:48 PM
Dutch Frost
Battle Level

I'm shocked this thread isn't locked and I'm amazed that so e of you gave him a D or higher. Do any of you watch th game? He is clueless!! How is he coming back for a 3rd season??? How???? This guy is a joke I can coach this team better and I've never played ice hockey in my life!!!

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 04:50 AM
OlTimeHockey

Is he better than Gorton? ABSOLUTELY! Can he get his guys to win? When he's able to let them play the physical game with tougher checking, yes. We all saw it. So.....is it a SYSTEM (holy word to some/many)? Nope. It's sound hockey. ARBOUR did not have a system.....he had a philosophy. PLAY DEFENSE. After that, players had to play tough, matchups were orchestrated well before the puck drop (Cappy NEEDS to work on this!), lines were crafted and changed with the opponent or situation (chess play, NOT system!) and you gambled a little on offense, but you absolutely never gambled on getting back or playing solid in your zone.

So......no system. Arbour did pretty well without an orchestrated system. He had players and used them best. Cappy lacks the players on line 3, 4, second and third defensive pairing and the PK (and to a degree the power play point - f*'ing ROLSTON? OKPOSO? Who else would he try out there?)

My point is.....his coaching style is not bad. His decisions seem forced given our "talent" dearth. His pairings need work, but time should improve this. He's not that horrible, and this is from someone who coached and played before many of you were born.

Yes, there is better, but I'd like to see WITH HIS OWN ASSISTANTS (not Gorton's Chowder Bunch) how the game plays out......and with some better talent if Viz stays and our fourth and third lines improve.

If we could get Babcock, BTW....I wouldn't do it. Not the right guy for this team. The right guy is in St.Louis now, since we didn't nab him. They got the PERFECT rebuild guy. Keenan would be my number two choice.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 06:37 AM
steveat

I want a Sutter. ANY Sutter would do.

steveat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 09:24 AM
Aucoin3

I gave him a B but the truth is he deserves and N/A. We can't judge a guy as an NHL coach during his first NHL job until he is given an NHL roster. You could have had Scotty Bowman and Al Arbour coaching last years team together and they would have missed the playoffs. The team had only 3 NHL caliber defencmen and Streit coming off a season ending shoulder injury played well below what we had been accustomed too.

If we have a season this year it will be interesting to see how Cappy does. If Nabokov is healthy and Visnovsky agrees to play for us it will be the first NHL roster we have had in years. I still dont consider it an playoff roster but escaping the top 5 draft picks would be a nice change.

Aucoin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 09:26 AM
Aucoin3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan17 View Post
This x10

I give him an F and I honestly think he was the biggest problem with our team last season along with the lack of toughness (which was also his fault in that it took him forever to get some gritty players in the line up like Haley/Cizikas/Ullstrom)
When did they make him GM?

Aucoin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 12:40 PM
steveat

Toughness does not equate to size. Players can be small and still be tough. What does the GM have to do with that? I don't think it is as much toughness as it is grit and heart. A few of the players are carrying the rest of the team in that category which is probably why we are as inconsistent as we are.

The only thing Cappy may have against him (if he was a real NHL coach) is the the fact that he's in the toughest division in the league. With such a young team, it's not the easiest thing. Other than that...his poor results is from lack of experience.

steveat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 01:36 PM
Tavaresfan91

http://islanders.nhl.com/club/podcas...=379&iid=40169

podcast with cappy. Looks like boyes will start the season with JT and moulson

Tavaresfan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 01:46 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveat View Post
Toughness does not equate to size. Players can be small and still be tough. What does the GM have to do with that? I don't think it is as much toughness as it is grit and heart. A few of the players are carrying the rest of the team in that category which is probably why we are as inconsistent as we are.

The only thing Cappy may have against him (if he was a real NHL coach) is the the fact that he's in the toughest division in the league. With such a young team, it's not the easiest thing. Other than that...his poor results is from lack of experience.
The small guys and big played tough for Cappy when we beat the Penguins....and we KNOW the team was tougher before Cappy and before Gorton....but didn't play tough. We KNOW Wang is not a fan of toughness.

So whose fault is it we don't have a tough game and Haley wasn't signed and small speedy guys are brought in and so on? Who is the constant in the Isles soft hockey present and past?

I fault Cappy on the game decisions within his ability to make judgments. Sure, he could do a Nolan and make the team play hard and hit and fight and anger the Wanger and risk unemployment. But within reality, I can only fault him for pairings and icetime. (Rolston MUST HAVE been guaranteed a third line role, FWIW, by someone higher up - this I think we all agree on)

The culture must change, but we all know it goes from God, to Wanger, to Jerry, to Kent to the cleaners.

Old
08-25-2012, 10:25 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

I think people give him a pass because the perception is that he coaches "regular hockey", especially in comparison to Gordon. The reality is that people would be calling for his head in any other circumstance because he's basically a coach version of Snow.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 11:36 PM
leaponover

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Is he better than Gorton? ABSOLUTELY! Can he get his guys to win? When he's able to let them play the physical game with tougher checking, yes. We all saw it. So.....is it a SYSTEM (holy word to some/many)? Nope. It's sound hockey. ARBOUR did not have a system.....he had a philosophy. PLAY DEFENSE. After that, players had to play tough, matchups were orchestrated well before the puck drop (Cappy NEEDS to work on this!), lines were crafted and changed with the opponent or situation (chess play, NOT system!) and you gambled a little on offense, but you absolutely never gambled on getting back or playing solid in your zone.

So......no system. Arbour did pretty well without an orchestrated system. He had players and used them best. Cappy lacks the players on line 3, 4, second and third defensive pairing and the PK (and to a degree the power play point - f*'ing ROLSTON? OKPOSO? Who else would he try out there?)

My point is.....his coaching style is not bad. His decisions seem forced given our "talent" dearth. His pairings need work, but time should improve this. He's not that horrible, and this is from someone who coached and played before many of you were born.

Yes, there is better, but I'd like to see WITH HIS OWN ASSISTANTS (not Gorton's Chowder Bunch) how the game plays out......and with some better talent if Viz stays and our fourth and third lines improve.

If we could get Babcock, BTW....I wouldn't do it. Not the right guy for this team. The right guy is in St.Louis now, since we didn't nab him. They got the PERFECT rebuild guy. Keenan would be my number two choice.
From the dictionary

system

A set of connected things or parts forming a complex whole, in particular.
A set of things working together as parts of a mechanism or an interconnecting network.

This is what I use when I think system so yes Al Arbour most definitely had a system. Maybe I don't use it in the "hockey" sense of the word and agree with what you said about Al Arbors coaching style but yes I do call it a system. Maybe others on here overuse it but if you go buy definition that's exactly what it is.

Old
08-26-2012, 02:59 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
From the dictionary

system

A set of connected things or parts forming a complex whole, in particular.
A set of things working together as parts of a mechanism or an interconnecting network.

This is what I use when I think system so yes Al Arbour most definitely had a system. Maybe I don't use it in the "hockey" sense of the word and agree with what you said about Al Arbors coaching style but yes I do call it a system. Maybe others on here overuse it but if you go buy definition that's exactly what it is.
Arbour had "systems" and he rolled out situations that reflected the needs on ice. Gorton, if he was a pitcher, would be throwing sliders all friggen game. The Devs would rely on knuckleballs all friggen game. Arbour had a wide open game and he employed a tight 2-2-1 or 2-3 "trap" (though not textbook) when he needed to, but that was rare. He had the guns to roll offense in a run and gun style when warranted. Wanna say system? Sure. Pick one. Arbour had several. He COACHED, rather than implemented a systems approach.

You can cite Websters.....and I'll give you that, but it's a red herring argument lacking context. Arbour's style of coaching, like Nolan and Cappy, is quite welcome and exciting. But we, the modern hockey fan, lost the grasp of the ART of hockey and go right to the stat fanatic mechanical game.

I'll give you he relied at times on system, but cede this: he knew his players and what they ALL could do and used them differently, like chess pieces, and THAT made him one of the top three coaches of all time in the sport. (in my opinion, and I don't mean in the NHL exclusively)

Old
12-05-2012, 05:00 PM
KrisBeKreame

Has anyone else seen the pictures on the Islanders site of the coaching staff shopping for Toys. Holy Crap Capuano looks scary!!!! Talk about rapid wieght lose.

KrisBeKreame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 05:52 PM
Isles Junkie

Wow, that's awesome. He looks fantastic.

http://islanders.nhl.com/club/galler...id=DL|NYI|home

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 05:54 PM
88th Precinct
'Charro Unchained'

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisBeKreame View Post
Has anyone else seen the pictures on the Islanders site of the coaching staff shopping for Toys. Holy Crap Capuano looks scary!!!! Talk about rapid wieght lose.
.......like....for real....

88th Precinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 06:27 PM
seafoam

vCash: 446
Good for him, if there is a season, I hope he takes the head coaching job by the horns, I'm tired of the coach carousel.

seafoam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 09:09 PM
leaponover

Wow! Yeah good for him. Reminds me of the Stephen King Novel "Thinner". I wonder if he knows a gypsy? I don't need to lose weight but i'm sure if a season ever gets started someone is going to ask him what he did to drop the pounds. I'm sure it's diet and exercise...but would be interesting to know how he did it.

Old
12-05-2012, 11:49 PM
LetsGoIslanders

Capuano has done the best with what he's been given, in a general sense. He couldn't demote Jay Pandolfo, Nino, DP, or Brian Rolston, because he's the coach and the team was precariously above salary floor. I don't think he's an NHL level coach, but I really commend him on having a team that usually works hard and stands up for themselves. He compares positively against Gordon, no doubt.

I think he might be judged negatively by a video clip where he gave the clip board to Tavares to draw up a play in the final few seconds of a game. I think that's the wrong idea completely. Planned hockey plays rarely work off a faceoff, but it's no different than allowing a thoroughbred QB with :05 on the clock at 50 to audible and call another play.

LetsGoIslanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 05:54 AM
88th Precinct
'Charro Unchained'

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoIslanders View Post
Capuano has done the best with what he's been given, in a general sense. He couldn't demote Jay Pandolfo, Nino, DP, or Brian Rolston, because he's the coach and the team was precariously above salary floor. I don't think he's an NHL level coach, but I really commend him on having a team that usually works hard and stands up for themselves. He compares positively against Gordon, no doubt.

I think he might be judged negatively by a video clip where he gave the clip board to Tavares to draw up a play in the final few seconds of a game. I think that's the wrong idea completely. Planned hockey plays rarely work off a faceoff, but it's no different than allowing a thoroughbred QB with :05 on the clock at 50 to audible and call another play.
That's fair; it's easy to get heated and want to pass out the pitchforks and torches when your team is losing. I personally don't give Cappy anything above a "C," but when you think about it, there's no sense in not invoking the '3rd Axiom of Murphy's Law": Poop rolls downhill. Cappy can't coach a contending team because Snow can't get the players of such a quality here because Wang (hopefully no longer) puts the cheapest team on the ice. Brooklyn may change this, and I really have no problem whatsoever giving Cappy one last season after a new CBA to succeed or fail. This is predicated on what hopefully becomes massive trickle-down that allows the Isles to sign players that help the team finally compete.

Who knows, Capuano may not suck if he has a good roster. If the move to Barclay's and a new CBA inspire Wang to spend to a level that allows Snow to sign players that help keep the Isles' collective heads above the water in the Atlantic, the trickle down could work the other way and result in Capuano to come out of nowhere and join the higher echelons of current NHL coaches, not unlike a certain other coach who went from behind an NHL bench to a float in a Cup parade 5 months later.

Playing Devil's Advocate, I can easily see how new blood could help spark the team regardless, and wouldn't blink if a more established, A-list coach could be brought in. Still, I'd rather not yet kill the messenger then the Islanders' fortunes seem to be starting to change (new arena, Tavares still approaching an elite-level peak, new CBA, all of which can lead to the team embracing their new opportunity for 'big market' status.

88th Precinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 08:04 AM
Islanderfan17

I'm not a fan of Cappy at all. I've never seen a Coach look more lost than this guy. I really hope this Thompson guy does well for the team and eventually takes the reigns or we just hire a real experienced NHL coach.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 09:03 AM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoIslanders View Post
JT actually took it out of Cappy's hands if I remember correctly. Not exactly sure what that signified at the time, but I'd guess it was either a display of passion by JT to win/tie the game (I don't remember the scenario), or a sign of frustration that Cappy's way wasn't getting the job done.

Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote