HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All CBA talk. A deal? A deal!!!

Old
12-05-2012, 01:00 AM
littletonhockeycoach

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taro Tsujimoto View Post
Wasn't this a previously scheduled meeting of the BoG? Either way, the timing would be good for the assembled Governors to review whatever ideas might be coming out of the joint owner/player meeting.

Time to cross one's fingers once again and raise expectation from zero to + 5 percent.

littletonhockeycoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 10:22 AM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I think it helps that players and owners that know each other are involved. It helps with the trust factor. For example Crosby can vouch for his owner if another player questions his motives and vice versa. It helps each side trust the other a bit more.
Perhaps also telling that, as another poster pointed out, Jacobs is the owner without a player on the "draft list" for the player attendees for these meetings.

Makes you wonder how neutered any/all Bruins (under Jacobs) have historically been on any labor issues.

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 10:29 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

9am meeting didn't happen. Sides didn't want to rush before the BOG meeting.

BOG still meeting at 11am. Sides slated to reconvene after that.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 01:42 PM
Sabreality

it's all happening

Sabreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 01:46 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

In between meetings, but the random chatter I can find is looking pretty optimistic.

Old
12-05-2012, 09:47 PM
Dubi Doo

A podium is being set up for some type of announcement

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 10:03 PM
kirby11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi Doo View Post
A podium is being set up for some type of announcement
Seeing the insanity on the main board over this podium is LOL worthy
Also, hoping it's good news (or even just not bad news), have they set up a podium for any of the times talks have broken down or there have been disagreements?

kirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 10:19 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirby11 View Post
Seeing the insanity on the main board over this podium is LOL worthy
Also, hoping it's good news (or even just not bad news), have they set up a podium for any of the times talks have broken down or there have been disagreements?
It would be funny if they set up the podium just to mess with people.

Bob McKenzie says they're still negotiating, nothing new to report...but I have to say the constant twitter updates on who has entered/left the room, when food was brought it, etc. are quite amusing...seeing all the hockey fans getting uber excited/depressed over trivial information over and over again

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 10:33 PM
kcoxsabresfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
It would be funny if they set up the podium just to mess with people.

Bob McKenzie says they're still negotiating, nothing new to report...but I have to say the constant twitter updates on who has entered/left the room, when food was brought it, etc. are quite amusing...seeing all the hockey fans getting uber excited/depressed over trivial information over and over again
You're not going to believe this, but I'm told Ryan Miller was really upset they didn't have wings. When they brought him a steak he flipped the table, yelled "Deals off, I wanted wings, you CLODs!!," and stormed out.

kcoxsabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 12:06 AM
McTank

This should show all those people that say "Ryan Miller is a negatie influence in the dressing room" and things like that they are wrong and he is a leader

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 01:50 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
but I have to say the constant twitter updates on who has entered/left the room, when food was brought it, etc. are quite amusing...seeing all the hockey fans getting uber excited/depressed over trivial information over and over again
This is the main reason why I won't sign up for twitter. It's simply not important to me who enters, who leaves, looks mad, looks happy, what suits they are wearing, what beverages are supplied, what food is supplied, what time they ate, what time they arrived, what time they left, what color eyes they have, when they used the bathrooms, what they arrived in, what hotel they stay at, who flew, who drove, who car pooled, etc....

Just Do. Not. Care.

End of the day results are all I care about. CBA? No CBA? Ok, tomorrow's another day

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 06:19 AM
Zip15

vCash: 396
Miller reportedly snapped at Jacobs. The joke going around Twitter is that he's the only Sabre willing to stand up to a Bruin.

This team isn't going to live that game down for a loooooong time.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 06:48 AM
HiddenInLight

Am I the only one who thinks that if the players and owners settle this without Fehr and Bettman, that they should both be fired?

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 10:10 AM
Moskau

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
Am I the only one who thinks that if the players and owners settle this without Fehr and Bettman, that they should both be fired?
They wont though. Both Bettman and Fehr have to be in the room at some point and judging by early morning tweets if Fehr isn't in the room from now on there will be no more talks period. Fehr is more than likely done after this anyways. He's basically doing this to just fight the man. He doesn't give a **** about the players or hockey in general. He just wants to get the most for the players to prove the system can be changed.

I think a lot of these "good" talks were just progress made on issues that were already close to being finalized. So in reality, lots of fake progress. I don't see the PA agreeing with the 10 year agreement with 8 year out whereas the owners already see that deal as a compromise. If they can agree on a different year structure I think a deal gets done. I think ultimately they will but it will probably take another month of pissing and moaning over it before they do.

Moskau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 10:15 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
They wont though. Both Bettman and Fehr have to be in the room at some point and judging by early morning tweets if Fehr isn't in the room from now on there will be no more talks period. Fehr is more than likely done after this anyways. He's basically doing this to just fight the man. He doesn't give a **** about the players or hockey in general. He just wants to get the most for the players to prove the system can be changed.

I think a lot of these "good" talks were just progress made on issues that were already close to being finalized. So in reality, lots of fake progress. I don't see the PA agreeing with the 10 year agreement with 8 year out whereas the owners already see that deal as a compromise. If they can agree on a different year structure I think a deal gets done. I think ultimately they will but it will probably take another month of pissing and moaning over it before they do.

Old
12-06-2012, 10:18 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Reporters are pretty much confirming Fehr will be back in the room. Bettman was apparently reluctant to go back in, but if Fehr is, he will be.

Personally, I don't care who is in the room as long as they keep talking and working, although I'd hope the moderates that have held this together stay.

Old
12-06-2012, 10:20 AM
Moskau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
Great post by you as always.

You really think a millionaire lawyer cares about the players. Fehr came out of retirement to bolster his reputation. It's why there will be no further talks unless he's involved. He doesn't want a deal to be made without him tarnishing his legacy. That is all that he cares about. He wants to be known as the man who took on the NHL and owners. Not as the man who made very rich people into richer people.

Old
12-06-2012, 10:22 AM
Moskau

Quote:
Reporters are pretty much confirming Fehr will be back in the room. Bettman was apparently reluctant to go back in, but if Fehr is, he will be.
Fehr obviously wants to be back into the room so he can make Ryan Miller and Ron Hainsey more money right? Because he feels the system isn't fair for them and wants to make sure they get everything that they can?

No. He wants to be there for appearance. So the cliff noted version of this whole lockout reads that it was Fehr who finalized a deal all along and was truly needed by the PA.

Old
12-06-2012, 10:29 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Great post by you as always.

You really think a millionaire lawyer cares about the players. Fehr came out of retirement to bolster his reputation. It's why there will be no further talks unless he's involved. He doesn't want a deal to be made without him tarnishing his legacy. That is all that he cares about. He wants to be known as the man who took on the NHL and owners. Not as the man who made very rich people into richer people.

Fehr already had a rock solid reputation as a tough negotiator who worked hard for the people he represented. He did a lot of good things for the MLB players during his time there. The NHL players hired him BECAUSE of that reputation. They felt they got jobbed last time through, and they didn't want it to happen again.

These players, almost to a man, have been complimentary of Fehr, about how they feel he's been open and honest with them, and is working in their best interests.

If the players think he's doing ok, I'll trust that over the opinion of Random Message Board Guy who simply doesn't like the man.

Old
12-06-2012, 10:48 AM
joshjull

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/87...ls-sources-say

Quote:
A source told ESPN.com that the NHL offered to raise the amount of the "Make Whole" provision, one of the key bargaining points in negotiations, to $300 million in total, up from $211 million in its last offer.

Other details of the league's offer, as confirmed to ESPN.com:

" The league is backing off contracting rights demands on unrestricted free agency age (27) and salary arbitration, offering to keep both the same.

" However, the league is staying firm on asking for five-year term limits for contracts and a 5 percent salary variance; the only exception is a team signing its own free agent, in which case a contract could go to seven years in term.

" The league wants a 10-year term on the new CBA; a source told ESPNNewYork.com that the idea behind the 10-year deal is to ease the initial burden for clubs on transition payments.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 10:51 AM
joshjull

From the same article

Quote:
For the second straight day, the NHL and NHLPA met late into the evening while trying to hammer out a new collective bargaining agreement. It remains unclear exactly how much common ground was forged, although the NHLPA appears to be growing increasingly wary of the current players/owners-only meetings.

Multiple sources told ESPNNewYork.com that there is some concern among the union's membership that the format may be an attempt to divide the players and isolate the constituency from its leadership.
What's going to divide the players is the NHL's latest offer. Its now about the big ticket players and what they can get.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:00 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Should be less blow by blows from the assembled journalists today. The meetings have moved to a private floor at the hotel, and the media is getting punted.

Kinda like it. At this point I just want to hear that they've gotten to an agreement, or are canceling the season.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:05 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Should be less blow by blows from the assembled journalists today. The meetings have moved to a private floor at the hotel, and the media is getting punted.

Kinda like it. At this point I just want to hear that they've gotten to an agreement, or are canceling the season.
How are we going know who left the room? or went back in? or if Steve Fehr will be offering pizza again?

Old
12-06-2012, 11:06 AM
flyingpig
Pay the Troll Toll

Quote:

That is his job. There is no better description.

flyingpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 11:08 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
How are we going know who left the room? or went back in? or if Steve Fehr will be offering pizza again?
I know, right!!

I was enjoying the podium vs lectern nonsense last night though. That delivered.