HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eller to play in Europe (signs with Jyväskylä JYP)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-05-2012, 07:09 PM
  #226
Moneyman2k6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 38
vCash: 500
Lars Eller way too underrated. For me he is way better than Desharnais.

Moneyman2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 09:13 PM
  #227
Talks to Goalposts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,610
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
http://www.behindthenet.ca/projecting_to_nhl.php

This one?

It's very outdated though, it was written not only before the KHL, but during a low point in Finnish hockey quality. I mean look at the talent coming out of Finland in the mid 00s compared to before and after. Since then SM-liiga has better, the Czech league has collapsed in quality, and the Swiss league has gotten better than the German.

Funny how much can change in 5 or so years. I wish someone would update those numbers.
Bruce Peter of puck worlds did earlier this year

http://www.puckworlds.com/2011/8/4/2...ood-is-the-khl

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 09:44 PM
  #228
Lebowski
Registered User
 
Lebowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5,226
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyman2k6 View Post
Lars Eller way too underrated. For me he is way better than Desharnais.
Who effin' cares about who's better? Be glad that we have both and leave it at that.

That stupid debate between Desharnais and Eller has to stop.

Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 09:45 PM
  #229
OneSharpMarble
Registered User
 
OneSharpMarble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,222
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyman2k6 View Post
Lars Eller way too underrated. For me he is way better than Desharnais.
Pacioretty and Cole would disagree.

I am as excited as anyone to see Eller finally breakout (this season hopefully) but lets not get ridiculous.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 10:00 PM
  #230
Ghetto Sangria
Groupthink
 
Ghetto Sangria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,932
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post
Who effin' cares about who's better? Be glad that we have both and leave it at that.

That stupid debate between Desharnais and Eller has to stop.
Normally I Wouldn`t care, but the only reason why someone would say Eller is better than DD is because of his size.

DD has the better offensive talent no question. I don`t think Eller will ever reach 60 points. I hope I`m wrong, cause if he does... he`ll be one hell of a player!

That being said, Eller is a much better 3rd line center than DD.

Ghetto Sangria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 11:24 PM
  #231
Et le But
Moderator
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 17,652
vCash: 500
http://www.eliteprospects.com/lockou...ame=&order=PPG

Elite Prospects is keeping tabs on lockout signings, and if you arrange them by PPG, Eller with 1.5 PPG is in the top 20 (our man Plekanec just misses out...he's 21), and those numbers are distorted by a few guys playing in some very low quality leagues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Pacioretty and Cole would disagree.

I am as excited as anyone to see Eller finally breakout (this season hopefully) but lets not get ridiculous.
When was the last time Eller played with Pacioretty and Cole again? I don't like this debate but a line of 60 pointers isn't the holy grail.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 11:27 PM
  #232
Subbanned
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post
Normally I Wouldn`t care, but the only reason why someone would say Eller is better than DD is because of his size.

DD has the better offensive talent no question. I don`t think Eller will ever reach 60 points. I hope I`m wrong, cause if he does... he`ll be one hell of a player!

That being said, Eller is a much better 3rd line center than DD.
Concur! Eller will be much better for his role than DD will ever be for his (as well as the little guy did last year, he's a low-end top-six C).

Subbanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 12:05 AM
  #233
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 6,515
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post
Normally I Wouldn`t care, but the only reason why someone would say Eller is better than DD is because of his size.

DD has the better offensive talent no question. I don`t think Eller will ever reach 60 points. I hope I`m wrong, cause if he does... he`ll be one hell of a player!
Sorry, I disagree.

First, it's weird to see Habs Fans laud a 60 point performance with 2 big skilled wingers, privileged offensive zone starts, 3 minutes a game of PP time, and easier opposition. Plekanec and Koivu have both done better with less and never got this much love from the forum, all the while contributing at both ends. I remember years and years of people complaining we had no 1st liner when Koivu and Plekanec yielded similar production in more challenging situations. Desharnais might be better than Eller, but he's no prime-years Koivu.

Here are some facts:
- Eller had 0:39 PP TOI/Game, Desharnais had 3:17.
- Eller had 12:17 ES TOI/game against tough opposition and at both ends of the ice, Desharnais had 14:38 ES TOI/Game against easier opposition, and more frequently in the offensive zone.
- Desharnais played with Cole and Pacioretty. Eller played with Bourque, Moen, Gomez, Palushaj, etc on his line.
- Eller is 3 years younger than Desharnais
- Eller and Desharnais both scored 16 goals last year, but Eller had 12 assists and Desharnais had 44.

From icetime alone, Eller's 22 ES points and 3 PP points would rescale to 26.2 ES points and 15.15 power play points if you give him DD's time on ice: 41.35 points total, not including his production on the penalty kill. His production would improve further if you gave him better line mates, weaker opposition, more ozone starts, never mind an additional 3 years of experience.

At this point it is indisputably clear that Eller has superior defensive ability and goal-scoring ability. The only thing Desharnais might do better and has done better thus far is playmaking ability.

However, it is clear that this might be due to the linemates. I watched a lot of games last year. Andrei Kostitsyn was on a 32-goal pace when he played with Eller (similar to Pacioretty's 35 goals), then they removed him so he could play with Gomez. In the second half of the season, Eller played with Bourque. Over and over again I would see Bourque fan on beautiful passes. Bourque has once had great finishing ability -- but not last year.

Quite frankly, Eller's very low production in the assist category last year is due to weak line mates, specifically the nonsensical removal of AK46, and the ineptitude of Bourque that may or may not be permanent. This was clear to me, and I'm sure a lot of people pay much better attention to the games. His low assist tally should not be used as an argument against his skill.


Last edited by DAChampion: 12-06-2012 at 01:33 AM.
DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 04:55 AM
  #234
FlyingKostitsyn
Registered User
 
FlyingKostitsyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec
Country: Australia
Posts: 8,036
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post
That stupid debate between Desharnais and Eller has to stop.
OH YES, please.

I'm just glad we have both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion
Here are some facts:
- Eller had 0:39 PP TOI/Game, Desharnais had 3:17.
- Eller had 12:17 ES TOI/game against tough opposition and at both ends of the ice, Desharnais had 14:38 ES TOI/Game against easier opposition, and more frequently in the offensive zone.
- Desharnais played with Cole and Pacioretty. Eller played with Bourque, Moen, Gomez, Palushaj, etc on his line.
- Eller is 3 years younger than Desharnais
- Eller and Desharnais both scored 16 goals last year, but Eller had 12 assists and Desharnais had 44.
Nice facts, but they can be applied to anyone playing on the bottom 6. Ryan White is young than Desharnais and did not have any PP time while playing mostly with scrubs. Is it unfair or simply a case of using players according to their strenghts?

And I don't think anyone is seriously saying Desharnais is better than a prime year Koivu, few are even saying he's better than Plekanec now, let alone Plekanec in his best years. No idea why you brought this up. There is a Desharnais ''defense'' not because we think he's the best thing since sliced bread but because we think he's a good and useful player and some people here are extremely ''aggressive'' towards the idea of having a center that isn't 6 foot 3 so they would replace Desharnais by just about anyone, even Andreas Engqvist. If Desharnais is gone, then they'll attack Plekanec (some already do). Its all about the mythical perceived necessity to have tall centers the media instilled in fans 10 years ago because they wanted to pressure the Habs in acquiring Lecavalier. Apart from reach in the defensive zone its not even that useful for a center to be big, its more useful for wingers who have to fight in the corner IMHO.


Last edited by FlyingKostitsyn: 12-06-2012 at 05:04 AM.
FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 05:02 AM
  #235
muzion
Registered User
 
muzion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: St-Hubert, Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 872
vCash: 500
Desharnais would have reached 70 points had he played all year with Cole and Pacioretty, and with a top 10 PP his numbers would have been jaw-dropping.

His created more offence 5 on 5 than just about everybody in the last 15 years, funny how he still doesn't get any respect.

muzion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 05:07 AM
  #236
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 15,270
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzion View Post
Desharnais would have reached 70 points had he played all year with Cole and Pacioretty, and with a top 10 PP his numbers would have been jaw-dropping.

His created more offence 5 on 5 than just about everybody in the last 15 years, funny how he still doesn't get any respect
.
maybe if peeps werent that silly... you know

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 05:37 AM
  #237
Ghetto Sangria
Groupthink
 
Ghetto Sangria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,932
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Sorry, I disagree.

First, it's weird to see Habs Fans laud a 60 point performance with 2 big skilled wingers, privileged offensive zone starts, 3 minutes a game of PP time, and easier opposition. Plekanec and Koivu have both done better with less and never got this much love from the forum, all the while contributing at both ends. I remember years and years of people complaining we had no 1st liner when Koivu and Plekanec yielded similar production in more challenging situations. Desharnais might be better than Eller, but he's no prime-years Koivu.

Here are some facts:
- Eller had 0:39 PP TOI/Game, Desharnais had 3:17.
- Eller had 12:17 ES TOI/game against tough opposition and at both ends of the ice, Desharnais had 14:38 ES TOI/Game against easier opposition, and more frequently in the offensive zone.
- Desharnais played with Cole and Pacioretty. Eller played with Bourque, Moen, Gomez, Palushaj, etc on his line.
- Eller is 3 years younger than Desharnais
- Eller and Desharnais both scored 16 goals last year, but Eller had 12 assists and Desharnais had 44.

From icetime alone, Eller's 22 ES points and 3 PP points would rescale to 26.2 ES points and 15.15 power play points if you give him DD's time on ice: 41.35 points total, not including his production on the penalty kill. His production would improve further if you gave him better line mates, weaker opposition, more ozone starts, never mind an additional 3 years of experience.

At this point it is indisputably clear that Eller has superior defensive ability and goal-scoring ability. The only thing Desharnais might do better and has done better thus far is playmaking ability.

However, it is clear that this might be due to the linemates. I watched a lot of games last year. Andrei Kostitsyn was on a 32-goal pace when he played with Eller (similar to Pacioretty's 35 goals), then they removed him so he could play with Gomez. In the second half of the season, Eller played with Bourque. Over and over again I would see Bourque fan on beautiful passes. Bourque has once had great finishing ability -- but not last year.

Quite frankly, Eller's very low production in the assist category last year is due to weak line mates, specifically the nonsensical removal of AK46, and the ineptitude of Bourque that may or may not be permanent. This was clear to me, and I'm sure a lot of people pay much better attention to the games. His low assist tally should not be used as an argument against his skill.
DD had 60 points, but only got a top 6 role 15-20 games in... Remember when Cole had a slow start? Getting no PP time or top 6 minutes? That line only connected 15-20 games in.

DD was almost a PPG playing on that line... and by the way Patches and Cole both had career years, But that line only produced because of the wingers, right? Eller would not have produced at that rate playing with those guys, and those guys would not have produced at that rate with Eller! And its nothing negative... because while Eller clearly has some untapped offensive potential, his real value to the habs is his TWO-WAY play, which DD doesn't have.

You speak as if all top 6 centers should hit 60 points easily... DD was 20th in scoring for a center last season with 60... and look at the centers ahead of him, all elite talent (and jokinen )

Also DD did not play sheltered minutes he played on our #1 line and other teams knew they were the offensive threat. Enough excuses.

EDIT: I just saw you compared Eller's age... you think I'm saying DD will be more valuable than Eller or something? Stop being so defensive... all I'm saying is that DD has more offense to contribute than Eller, but I'd keep eller before DD because of his potential (and the offensive dynamo we got coming up the pipelines) and his proven two-way play


Last edited by Ghetto Sangria: 12-06-2012 at 05:44 AM.
Ghetto Sangria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 08:43 AM
  #238
Et le But
Moderator
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 17,652
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzion View Post
Desharnais would have reached 70 points had he played all year with Cole and Pacioretty, and with a top 10 PP his numbers would have been jaw-dropping.

His created more offence 5 on 5 than just about everybody in the last 15 years, funny how he still doesn't get any respect.
Because he did it on one of the worst teams in Habs history?

I like Desharnais, but this is hyperbole. Just because he went on a PPG pace for a while doesn't mean he would have sustained it starting from day one. Plekanec usually goes for a PPG pace for a few months, that doesn't make him a PPG player. Had Desharnais come out firing with the majority of the teams offensive minutes, teams would have focused on shutting him down much earlier. By the second half of the season, the Habs weren't exactly something most teams were worried about.

I suspect Cole would have gotten off to a slow start even if he was playing with Malkin. He was on a new team.

And this is another reason why we needed a season this year.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 08:58 AM
  #239
Fozz
Registered User
 
Fozz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 6,384
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Here are some facts:
- Eller had 0:39 PP TOI/Game, Desharnais had 3:17.
- Eller had 12:17 ES TOI/game against tough opposition and at both ends of the ice, Desharnais had 14:38 ES TOI/Game against easier opposition, and more frequently in the offensive zone.
- Desharnais played with Cole and Pacioretty. Eller played with Bourque, Moen, Gomez, Palushaj, etc on his line.
- Eller is 3 years younger than Desharnais
- Eller and Desharnais both scored 16 goals last year, but Eller had 12 assists and Desharnais had 44.
Here's a much more important fact: Watching them play and seeing that Desharnais has superior offensive skills, especially vision and hockey sense.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 09:35 AM
  #240
sharks9
Registered User
 
sharks9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 8,188
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Because he did it on one of the worst teams in Habs history?

I like Desharnais, but this is hyperbole. Just because he went on a PPG pace for a while doesn't mean he would have sustained it starting from day one. Plekanec usually goes for a PPG pace for a few months, that doesn't make him a PPG player. Had Desharnais come out firing with the majority of the teams offensive minutes, teams would have focused on shutting him down much earlier. By the second half of the season, the Habs weren't exactly something most teams were worried about.

I suspect Cole would have gotten off to a slow start even if he was playing with Malkin. He was on a new team.

And this is another reason why we needed a season this year.
That's a ridiculous argument. Do you think other teams didn't want to win? Even though we were out of it there were still teams fighting for positioning and a potential playoff spot and it would be stupid to think that they wouldn't try their hardest to shut down our best scoring line.

sharks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 09:43 AM
  #241
WeThreeKings
Registered User
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,652
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
Here's a much more important fact: Watching them play and seeing that Desharnais has superior offensive skills, especially vision and hockey sense.
Eller has a better shot, better hands, protects the puck better and the difference in vision and playmaking isn't as big as you think. Desharnais just gauges his time with the puck than Eller at this point.

I'm happy having both. Desharnais will eventually move to the wing.

Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Eller down the middle with Patches, Gionta, Cole and Desharnais on the wings, throw in development from guys like Gallagher and Collberg.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 09:48 AM
  #242
Et le But
Moderator
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 17,652
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
That's a ridiculous argument. Do you think other teams didn't want to win? Even though we were out of it there were still teams fighting for positioning and a potential playoff spot and it would be stupid to think that they wouldn't try their hardest to shut down our best scoring line.
I don't mean other teams weren't not sending their best defenders out to match that line, especially once it got going, but I have my doubts coaches spend much time watching tape on terrible teams compared to other oppositions. Put it this way, except for division rivals, whenever teams had long road trips or back to backs involving the Habs and other teams, we were likely the least of their worries unless the Islander or Blue Jackets were also on that trip.

Once again, I'm not saying Desharnais didn't show he can still be effective against quality opposition, I think he's a legitimate above average offensive player. What I'm skeptical about is if he has any further upside, considering he's already pushing his physical limitations to a remarkable degree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Eller has a better shot, better hands, protects the puck better and the difference in vision and playmaking isn't as big as you think. Desharnais just gauges his time with the puck than Eller at this point.

I'm happy having both. Desharnais will eventually move to the wing.
Like you said, Desharnais is better at taking his time with the puck. He's a better decision maker and has excellent vision, and so it's easy to see why he was our best center last year especially when it comes to plays that start in the opposition's zone.

Also like you said, Eller is faster, a better puck protector, has better hands and a much better shot. Perhaps Eller will never have Desharnais' vision and decision making, but it's impossible to tell when Eller is stuck playing with a revolving door of grinders most of the time. Not to mention he's notably younger and we have no idea how Desharnais would have done in the NHL at that age.

Also, like you said, if some of us think Desharnais should be on the wing, a lot of it has to do with his merits; his strengths would translate to any position and I think he has the hockey IQ to adapt. While Eller at worst is already a third line two way threat with more offensive upside than anyone in the system besides Galchenyuk.


Last edited by Et le But: 12-06-2012 at 09:56 AM.
Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 10:30 AM
  #243
Talks to Goalposts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,610
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzion View Post
Desharnais would have reached 70 points had he played all year with Cole and Pacioretty, and with a top 10 PP his numbers would have been jaw-dropping.

His created more offence 5 on 5 than just about everybody in the last 15 years, funny how he still doesn't get any respect.

Desharnais played the entire year with top six wingers, when there wasn't Cole and Pacioretty there were Kostitsyn and Cammalleri.

He also didn't produce the most 5 on 5 offense either. He got 40 ES points, Plekanec's best year (10) was 45 and he has another better year with 41. He was the 3rd ES scorer on his line behind Cole (47) and Pacioretty (52).

The guy that created the most ES offense in decades for the Habs was Pacioretty, not Desharnais who had a remarkable season last year, regardless of who centered him.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post
DD had 60 points, but only got a top 6 role 15-20 games in... Remember when Cole had a slow start? Getting no PP time or top 6 minutes? That line only connected 15-20 games in.

DD was almost a PPG playing on that line... and by the way Patches and Cole both had career years, But that line only produced because of the wingers, right? Eller would not have produced at that rate playing with those guys, and those guys would not have produced at that rate with Eller! And its nothing negative... because while Eller clearly has some untapped offensive potential, his real value to the habs is his TWO-WAY play, which DD doesn't have.

You speak as if all top 6 centers should hit 60 points easily... DD was 20th in scoring for a center last season with 60... and look at the centers ahead of him, all elite talent (and jokinen )

Also DD did not play sheltered minutes he played on our #1 line and other teams knew they were the offensive threat. Enough excuses.
The 15-20 game argument is absolute hogwash. Desharnais was playing an offensive top six role from the begining. He was getting upwards of 13 ES minutes and was always on one of the powerplay units.

Look at the usage charts from the first couple games:
http://enattendantlesnordiques.blogs...toronto-2.html

http://enattendantlesnordiques.blogs...innipeg-1.html

http://enattendantlesnordiques.blogs...innipeg-1.html

Here is game 4 where he stops playing with Darche and gets 46 + 67.

http://enattendantlesnordiques.blogs...ontreal-5.html

Game 7, where he gets 67 and 72

http://enattendantlesnordiques.blogs...ontreal-4.html

After this he's attached to the hip of Cole and Pacioretty is occasionally replaced by Cammalleri.

They start with Plekanec on the point on the powerplay so Desharnais is first unit PP center, Gomez 2nd unit. He remains 1st or 2nd PP center for entire season.


At most we are talking about 3 games to start the season where he wasn't used as a top two scoring line offensive center.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 10:42 AM
  #244
Gally11
Registered User
 
Gally11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: St. John's
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,572
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzion View Post
Desharnais would have reached 70 points had he played all year with Cole and Pacioretty, and with a top 10 PP his numbers would have been jaw-dropping.

His created more offence 5 on 5 than just about everybody in the last 15 years, funny how he still doesn't get any respect.
Yeah I even compared cole-dd-patched to kovy-pleks-andrei in 07-08 even strength points which was widely consider our best line in years.

1 Max Pacioretty MTL 52
2 Erik Cole MTL L 47
3 David Desharnais MTL 40

1 Tomas Plekanec MTL 41
2 Andrei Kostitsyn MTL 37
3 Alex Kovalev MTL 35

Kovalev had 47 PP points that year lol

Gally11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 10:42 AM
  #245
Ghetto Sangria
Groupthink
 
Ghetto Sangria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,932
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
Desharnais played the entire year with top six wingers, when there wasn't Cole and Pacioretty there were Kostitsyn and Cammalleri.

He also didn't produce the most 5 on 5 offense either. He got 40 ES points, Plekanec's best year (10) was 45 and he has another better year with 41. He was the 3rd ES scorer on his line behind Cole (47) and Pacioretty (52).

The guy that created the most ES offense in decades for the Habs was Pacioretty, not Desharnais who had a remarkable season last year, regardless of who centered him.






The 15-20 game argument is absolute hogwash. Desharnais was playing an offensive top six role from the begining. He was getting upwards of 13 ES minutes and was always on one of the powerplay units.

Look at the usage charts from the first couple games:
http://enattendantlesnordiques.blogs...toronto-2.html

http://enattendantlesnordiques.blogs...innipeg-1.html

http://enattendantlesnordiques.blogs...innipeg-1.html

Here is game 4 where he stops playing with Darche and gets 46 + 67.

http://enattendantlesnordiques.blogs...ontreal-5.html

Game 7, where he gets 67 and 72

http://enattendantlesnordiques.blogs...ontreal-4.html

After this he's attached to the hip of Cole and Pacioretty is occasionally replaced by Cammalleri.

They start with Plekanec on the point on the powerplay so Desharnais is first unit PP center, Gomez 2nd unit. He remains 1st or 2nd PP center for entire season.


At most we are talking about 3 games to start the season where he wasn't used as a top two scoring line offensive center.
That doesn't matter anyways... The point is that patches and cole didn't make DD produce.... They helped eachother. If you honestly think eller could have produced more with those two last season you're being straight ignant son!

Eller has different strengths to contribute (ones that make him more valuble than DD imo) but right now DD would help the habs in the top 6 more than Eller would... Just like eller would help the bottom 6 more.

I see him with Dave Bolland numbers. Can fill in a secon line role and produce, but is more suited for a top tier 3rd line that contributes both ways

Ghetto Sangria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 10:49 AM
  #246
zzoo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: Vietnam
Posts: 2,147
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Thank you for the great link.

Don't like the fact that Desharnais and Pax are among the worst players in the NLA League. There are some quality players in that league.

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 11:08 AM
  #247
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,275
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
Thank you for the great link.

Don't like the fact that Desharnais and Pax are among the worst players in the NLA League. There are some quality players in that league.
Of course, they are the two who have also played the fewest games in the entire list, and we might as well throw out Pacioretty's stats altogether...


Last edited by hototogisu: 12-06-2012 at 11:55 AM.
hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 11:25 AM
  #248
ChoseLa
Registered User
 
ChoseLa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Country: Martinique
Posts: 4,269
vCash: 500
The only thing Eller got over Desharnais is goalscoring and size. Eller wasn't that much of a good third line center, he's a guy with potential and a good understanding of his role, but he has a long road ahead of him before taking the responsabilities that DD have. Niether of them is that good at the two way game, Desharnais is way more creative and has huge hockey IQ. In the offensive zone he's as good as anyone on the team and never takes a shift off. Eller, while a hard worker, can disapear at time.

I like them both but at this time of their career DD is ahead of Eller by a fair margin, even when DD had his 22pts in 48gp season he was realy impressive, while Eller has been good but nothing to write home about. If eller can become more productive and contributemore on the scoresheet i'd be happy to move DD to the wing and move Eller to second line duties behind Plek.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 11:39 AM
  #249
Et le But
Moderator
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 17,652
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whereabouts Unknown View Post
Yeah I even compared cole-dd-patched to kovy-pleks-andrei in 07-08 even strength points which was widely consider our best line in years.

1 Max Pacioretty MTL 52
2 Erik Cole MTL L 47
3 David Desharnais MTL 40

1 Tomas Plekanec MTL 41
2 Andrei Kostitsyn MTL 37
3 Alex Kovalev MTL 35

Kovalev had 47 PP points that year lol
The two AKs and a turtleneck line was definitely more PP dependant, but I think this is another example of where Plekanec is underrated - Kovy was the PP force that year, but Plek was the engine on 5 on 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
Thank you for the great link.

Don't like the fact that Desharnais and Pax are among the worst players in the NLA League. There are some quality players in that league.
Pacioretty was a huge disaster in the NLA and I'm disappointed, but he does have a few excuses - bad team, fought with the coach, got injured pretty quickly.

Desharnais has started picking it up after a slow start, if the lockout continues I think he will be a PPG player - which isn't outstanding for the quality of the league, but he's fitting in better than Patches did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
The only thing Eller got over Desharnais is goalscoring and size.
...and speed, and puck protection, and dangling skills. Put it this way, Eller's ability to carry the puck through the neutral zone made Gomez redundant, which might be a low bar but as sad as this is, that's something both Plekanec and Desharnais aren't very good at.

And I don't know how you can see Eller wasn't good defensively, he still makes mistakes from time to time (There was multiple times this year that Plekanec went over to him after a bad play to explain things), but he was given almost as difficult matchups as Plekanec was for a reason. The Habs were still above average defensively last year even with a small and soft backline, and a lot of that has to do with the forwards, especially Plek and Eller.


Last edited by Et le But: 12-06-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 12:04 PM
  #250
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 23,586
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post
That doesn't matter anyways... The point is that patches and cole didn't make DD produce.... They helped eachother. If you honestly think eller could have produced more with those two last season you're being straight ignant son!

Eller has different strengths to contribute (ones that make him more valuble than DD imo) but right now DD would help the habs in the top 6 more than Eller would... Just like eller would help the bottom 6 more.

I see him with Dave Bolland numbers. Can fill in a secon line role and produce, but is more suited for a top tier 3rd line that contributes both ways
Maybe last year, Eller wouldn't have produced as much offensively. There were improvements in his game that needed to be done. However, he did dominate his opponents when played with AK and Moen. Those three were a very big handful for their opponents.

That doesn't mean that moving forward, Eller won't outproduce DD if placed on a purely offensive line. I think his main issue last year was mainly coming from a lack of experience. He seemed to be overzealous on a lot of occasions, and because of that, he didn't convert a lot of his chances. If he was creating little offense, then I'd have my doubts as to whether or not he'd be able to produce well if on top 2 lines, but the fact he got so many offensive chances tell me he could do very well with better wingers.

Now DD is also a question mark. He had a breakout year last season, but he was placed in the best possible scenario. Top linemates, top ice time, top PP ice time, favorable match ups, and more offensive zone starts. Can't ask for anything better really..
Would he be able to keep up his production if not given the best two wingers? Would his production rise even more if given those two guys again?

One thing is for sure, not giving Eller a shot at the top six could be a colossal mistake. Eller is great defensively, we know he can fulfill the 3rd line role. No doubt about it. We don't know what he can do in a top 6 role with better wingers.
However, if we base ourselves on how he created offense with AK, then we can definitely say he's got some potential.
Not looking at that potential would just be dumb.

Eller needs offensive wingers.

As for which one is better, Eller or DD, I think it's very tough to conclude anything right now. One was given the absolute best situation to succeed, while the other was given the opposite.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:26 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.