HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Batman (1989 ) vs Batman Begins (2005)

View Poll Results: Batman (1989) vs Batman Begins (2005)
Batman (1989) 58 30.69%
Batman Begins ( 2005) 117 61.90%
Both 14 7.41%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-06-2012, 12:58 AM
snowden
Man is matter

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Dude, he was almost nominated for an Oscar for that performance.
What does almost even mean? You have no idea what the Academy almost nominated. He was terrible. I can't stand his Joker at all and he ruins an otherwise decent movie. I love Keaton as Batman but Nicholson was too much. Much prefer Ledger even though it's hard to compare the two.

snowden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 03:49 AM
Johnny LaRue

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowden View Post
Nicholson was so laughably bad as the Joker. Really, really awful performance.
This statement is the definition of wrong. His performance was brilliant. I'll forgive you because you're likely 17 or 18 and don't know any better. You're like the hordes of young people who believe that movies like Titanic are the best ever made.

Anyhoo, I quite liked Batman Begins, but Michael Keaton was so much better as Batman than Bale that it isn't really a close call.

Johnny LaRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 07:40 AM
Ceremony
Why Not Us?

vCash: 50
The only Batman villain performance that comes close to Nicholson as the Joker is Jim Carrey as the Riddler, for me. 1989 Batman (since 1966 isn't an option).

ďItís embarrassing. Iím embarrassed to be here right now. Itís not even funny. And itís just embarrassing, the way we, you know, the energy we have in the room and the way we approach practices and the way we approach this game. Itís not how youíre going to win any games in this league." - Jean-Sebastien Giguere, April 8 2013
Ceremony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 07:51 AM
Shadowtron

I went with BOTH as I think each film perfectly nails the type of Batman their respective directors were trying to portray at that time. Nothing wrong with either film IMO.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 07:55 AM
optimus2861

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron View Post
I went with BOTH as I think each film perfectly nails the type of Batman their respective directors were trying to portray at that time. Nothing wrong with either film IMO.
That's a good answer. The two films are so different in tone and what they're trying to portray that it makes for a very difficult head-to-head comparison.

I enjoy 89 Batman for what it is, and I enjoy Batman Begins for what it is.

optimus2861 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 08:02 AM
Francesa
Global Moderator

Batman and Robin was indisputably one of the worst movies ever to hit the big screen.

Also, lol @ the guy who said Nicholson's performance sucked as the Joker. Please

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 08:08 AM
Freedomov76

I have strong, fun memories of going to the opening midnight showing of 1989 Batman. Only movie I've been to where people were scalping their tickets to the crowd waiting to get in.

Freedomov76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 08:22 AM
SPV
Zoinks!

I really can't choose. The Nolan series of Batman movies is leaps better than Burton's overall work with Batman (Returns was really bad IMO). But as someone else pointed out, the 2 films work so well with what they were aiming to do.

I have to agree with the poster that mentioned music though, Batman '89 had a epic theme.

SPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 09:25 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPV View Post
I really can't choose. The Nolan series of Batman movies is leaps better than Burton's overall work with Batman (Returns was really bad IMO). But as someone else pointed out, the 2 films work so well with what they were aiming to do.

I have to agree with the poster that mentioned music though, Batman '89 had a epic theme.
Batman Returns is universally regarded as Burton's best Batman.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 09:26 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowden View Post
What does almost even mean? You have no idea what the Academy almost nominated. He was terrible. I can't stand his Joker at all and he ruins an otherwise decent movie. I love Keaton as Batman but Nicholson was too much. Much prefer Ledger even though it's hard to compare the two.
The fact that he was nominated for a Golden Globe suggests that an Oscar nomination wasn't far off. Just about every review I read of the movie said Nicholson's performance was Oscar worthy.

Old
12-06-2012, 09:28 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Batman Returns is universally regarded as Burton's best Batman.
Obviously in the minority, but I'm not all that crazy about it either. In his first Baman movie, Burton at least attempted to put the character in a real world setting. Return was set entirely in a Tim Burton world. I was half expecting a cameo from Edward Scissorhands.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 09:35 AM
McSorleyStick
CYBORK

Please

Nolan has destroyed Burton's world

McSorleyStick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 09:40 AM
Rabid Ranger
Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ulimate Reims View Post
Gotta ask this, but what is wrong with Batman and Robin? i used to love watch that movie when i was younger
Bat nipples. George Clooney playing Batman/Bruce Wayne as "gay." Bane. The rest of the cast. I can go on and on. A terrible film led by a supremely self-indulgent director (Joel Schumacher) that almost sunk the character/franchise. AWFUL in every way, shape, and form.

As for Batman vs Batman Begins. I like BB, but Batman is my all-time favorite movie. Michael Keaton was the defination of inspired casting. Loved the look and feel of the film. Best batsuit and batmobile by far.

Rabid Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 09:49 AM
irunthepeg
THE ONE WHO KNOCKS

Quote:
I think many posters here have not even seen the 1989 Batman...

The 1989 Batman beat Batman begins in these areas:

- Theme. Danny Elfman's Batman theme is a million times more catchy and epic than Zimmer's work. So good they used it in the animated series.
- Batcave, Batcomputer, Batmobile, Batwing, utility belt, grappling hook. All necessary items in Batman lore. "Where does he get all those wonderful toys?"
- Nicholson's Joker naturally is a better villain than Scarecrow.
- Michael Keaton is a better Batman than Christian Bale. Better fight scenes. Voice was different from Bruce Wayne's but not as ridiculous as Bale's.

What Batman Begins does better is the overall visuals perhaps and that Christian Bale is a better Bruce Wayne.
At first, I wanted to disagree with you... but now I sort agree a bit more. I love both of the movies, to be clear.

Keaton's Batman was better for not having the ridiculous voice and I agree Elfman's theme is THE Batman theme... not to discredit Zimmer's work though since I love his scores for all three movies, but I would still have been okay with a rendition of Elfman's theme used as the main theme.

For the part about Nicholson's Joker being better than Scarecrow, I agree in the part that The Joker is the essential Batman villain but I liked how Scarecrow in the first movie let you get introduced to Batman without having him face off against the epitome of his nemesis. For that, I gotta give it to Nolan's trilogy for not playing all their cards on the first movie.

Hard pick for me, I think I enjoy Batman Begins overall more than I enjoy Batman though...

irunthepeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 09:56 AM
The Kingslayer

Begins wins this one. Dark Knight was the greatest of them all.

The Kingslayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 10:27 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
Bat nipples. George Clooney playing Batman/Bruce Wayne as "gay." Bane. The rest of the cast. I can go on and on. A terrible film led by a supremely self-indulgent director (Joel Schumacher) that almost sunk the character/franchise. AWFUL in every way, shape, and form.
It was evident that Tim Burton was no longer a producer in the film. He was in that role on Batman Forever and approved Schumacher's hiring as the director. Though it went for a more brighter and colorful approach than Batman Returns /which was jsut about as dark as one could get), it still had elements from Burton's Batman films.

Old
12-06-2012, 10:32 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordUp View Post
At first, I wanted to disagree with you... but now I sort agree a bit more. I love both of the movies, to be clear.

Keaton's Batman was better for not having the ridiculous voice and I agree Elfman's theme is THE Batman theme... not to discredit Zimmer's work though since I love his scores for all three movies, but I would still have been okay with a rendition of Elfman's theme used as the main theme.

For the part about Nicholson's Joker being better than Scarecrow, I agree in the part that The Joker is the essential Batman villain but I liked how Scarecrow in the first movie let you get introduced to Batman without having him face off against the epitome of his nemesis. For that, I gotta give it to Nolan's trilogy for not playing all their cards on the first movie.

Hard pick for me, I think I enjoy Batman Begins overall more than I enjoy Batman though...
I agree, you couldn't have Joker show up in the first movie. By the way, though I like Burton's Batman films to some extent more than Nolan's, I don't think they're the perfect rendition of Batman either (the animated series was much closer to that). Who was the first major villain Batman faced in the comics?

Old
12-06-2012, 10:35 AM
Osprey

Batman ('89) is my favorite of all of the Batman movies. Part of that is that it's from my youth, but it was also just so much fun. It was dark, but light-hearted... serious, but didn't take itself too seriously. It was also just oozing with atmosphere, from the great score to the sets to the costumes to vision and direction. Tim Burton established himself as a master with how well all of that came together to produce something so cohesive and unique. All in all, it was such a cool and fun movie in '89, and still is, IMO. It didn't try to be heady like the current trilogy; it was just great escapism and one of the most fun movies of the 80s.

In case anyone else started humming the epic theme music and was about to visit YouTube to listen to it, I'll save you the trip...

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 10:39 AM
Bobo420

Better quality: http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/vid...184-batmanvsdk

Bobo420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 10:40 AM
irunthepeg
THE ONE WHO KNOCKS

Quote:
I agree, you couldn't have Joker show up in the first movie. By the way, though I like Burton's Batman films to some extent more than Nolan's, I don't think they're the perfect rendition of Batman either (the animated series was much closer to that). Who was the first major villain Batman faced in the comics?
Not a huge comic guy myself (although I've read a few of the 'famous' Batman ones), so I'm not sure if your question is serious or sarcastic . It might have been The Joker, but that's probably how he became the most well-known and favourite Batman villain. For movie's sake, I think it works best if you leave him for last. I almost wish (if Heath Ledger was alive still) that they could have gone back and made Bane the second villain and have Batman defeat him but still being left with a broken back then have The Joker as the third villain doing his thing only to have Batman come back.

Either way, love the Nolan movies, love Burton's first Batman...

Oh and The Animated Series was amazing. I need to download or maybe even buy that show (I know I've seen it on DVD before).

irunthepeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 10:49 AM
Grumpy Humphrey

I liked Batman Begins better but Batman is one of the only Tim Burton movies I can even tolerate.

When I went to see Batman Returns in the theater, in the middle it just stopped being Batman Returns and Encino Man started playing.

Grumpy Humphrey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 11:18 AM
Ozz

Batman Begins for me. I was never a fan of the originals, but I saw them when they came out while I was a kid with no interest in Batman at all. I'm not sure why it was different with Nolan's movies, but they seemed darker on the whole. I even rewatched Batman/Returns earlier this year and while they were better than I remember as a kid, I still prefer the newer ones.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 11:21 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordUp View Post
Not a huge comic guy myself (although I've read a few of the 'famous' Batman ones), so I'm not sure if your question is serious or sarcastic .
It was serious. I am a lazy HFBoards poster and couldn't bother with searching for it myself.

Old
12-06-2012, 12:25 PM
Smelling Salt

Send a message via MSN to Smelling Salt
I remember at the time thinking Nicholson's Joker was awesome. Now when I watch it, I think "Yeah, not really good at all."

Still, I pick Batman 1989 over 2005, but it's not as good as Nolan 2 and 3 IMO. Best thing about 1989 Batman is the onslaught of people wearing Batman shirts it caused, especially ones with images of comic covers on them. It was great.

Smelling Salt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 12:26 PM
Kloparren
Hth

I didn't even like Batman 89 as a kid and liked it even less after seeing it recently. Batman Begins is the weakest of the Nolan trilogy but notably better for me.

I also liked how it tied into the rest of the trilogy, Batman (89) storyline didn't seem to have much of an impact on the rest of the 3 films from the 90s.

Kloparren is offline   Reply With Quote