Notices

Carons (lack of) production in Providence

Old
12-06-2012, 04:54 AM
IrishPaulie
Sooshii is AWESOME!!

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to IrishPaulie
The only thing his numbers show is that the B's still have a hole at 3rd line LW.

IrishPaulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 10:32 AM
rickizbruin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
He was drafted 25th, not seventh. How many can't-miss NHL snipers did the Bruins pass over to pick him?
Agreed.. - he is doing better than some who were picked ahead of him. and as a third or fourth line winger and the ice time they get .. is anyone expecting a high scoreing 4th line winger ?

rickizbruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 10:39 AM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Caron needs to get the nod if we ever want him to live up to his potential here. If we replace him right out of the gate with Bourque/Spooner (both who are performing well), it would ruin his psyche.

I give Caron 10-15 games to see if he can bounce back, after that if there are better options you really have to consider replacing him.

Tim Vezina Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 10:43 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Vezina Thomas View Post
Caron needs to get the nod if we ever want him to live up to his potential here. If we replace him right out of the gate with Bourque/Spooner (both who are performing well), it would ruin his psyche.

I give Caron 10-15 games to see if he can bounce back, after that if there are better options you really have to consider replacing him.
I'd give him nothing if he hasn't earned it. And to this point, he's been given multiple chances and has yet to play consistently enough to warrant yet another free ride. I'd let him stay down in the AHL and watch guys like Spooner pass him by and hope he figures out the daily effort and desire needed to get back up here. So far just handing him the spot hasn't done a thing to improve his game. Maybe a message like leaving him in the minors will.

LSCII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 10:50 AM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
I'd give him nothing if he hasn't earned it. And to this point, he's been given multiple chances and has yet to play consistently enough to warrant yet another free ride. I'd let him stay down in the AHL and watch guys like Spooner pass him by and hope he figures out the daily effort and desire needed to get back up here. So far just handing him the spot hasn't done a thing to improve his game. Maybe a message like leaving him in the minors will.
When has he been handed the spot? When they signed Pouliot?

I'm not saying hes earned anything, I'm saying if you replace him with Spooner/Bourque right out of the gate it wouldn't be smart. Plus, whos to say anyone BUT Caron would be a better fit on the third line with the big club? Putting up points in the AHL is great and all, but Caron has a perfect skillset to be a third line winger, and has played with Kelly and Pevs before.

I say you give him ~10 games out of the gate to see what he can do, then if Bourque still has success down in the A and Caron still struggles you obviously need to make a change.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:01 AM
BrainOfJ
Playoff Odds: 30.5%

I say you sit them all down before camp..which I assume we will have and say.."youve all been playing and should be fresh...this spot is completely open to whoever wins it" and go from there.

If its spooner, caron, bourque, or knight doesnt matter. Put them on a level playing field and whoever wins it and fits best. Youre in.

BrainOfJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 11:06 AM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainOfJ View Post
I say you sit them all down before camp..which I assume we will have and say.."youve all been playing and should be fresh...this spot is completely open to whoever wins it" and go from there.

If its spooner, caron, bourque, or knight doesnt matter. Put them on a level playing field and whoever wins it and fits best. Youre in.
Is Bourque a good fit for the third line? I know hes tiny, havent seen him that much.

Spooner/Knight are automatic nos for me, I'd prefer them to stay in the A (at the beginning, not opposed later in the season to giving them a look).

Old
12-06-2012, 11:14 AM
BrainOfJ
Playoff Odds: 30.5%

Quote:
Is Bourque a good fit for the third line? I know hes tiny, havent seen him that much.

Spooner/Knight are automatic nos for me, I'd prefer them to stay in the A (at the beginning, not opposed later in the season to giving them a look).
I havent seen much of him either...but Ryder fit the line perfectly and hes not the stereotype you would put with kelly and pevs.

Either way...IMO it is an issue that should have already been addressed via an outside player..but now that we are here, thats what I do. Spooner and Bourque have significantly outperformed Caron so far. Might as well give them an equal shot and continuing to do so.

BrainOfJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 11:23 AM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainOfJ View Post

Agreed. If it doesn't work, on to the next cat. Maybe Caron will play a little harder knowing his chance in the NHL depends on it.

Mr. Make-Believe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 11:54 AM
Schalkenullvier*

Jesus imagine the lockout ends, play commences at december 21 and Soderberg comes over... maybe that's what the mayans meant.

Schalkenullvier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 12:21 PM
flannelman
quixotic fox!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Make-Believe View Post
Agreed. If it doesn't work, on to the next cat. Maybe Caron will play a little harder knowing his chance in the NHL depends on it.
indeed and there are still some decent options available via FA, according to capgeek. Old fan favorite, Mikey Knuble, is still available (I know, he's 40 and isn't coming off of the best season).

flannelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 12:44 PM
Twisted Tales
H.A.M.

vCash: 1004
Everyone (or too many) seem to judge a player by his points. I haven't seen him play in Providence this year, but perhaps he's not getting too much TOI. Also, he's probably more focused on developing his two-way game (someone who has watched him this year is a better judge of that).

Having said that, if the NHL comes back this month it's guaranteed that Caron & Bourque will be fighting for the last roster spot on Offence, regardless of "points".

Twisted Tales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 12:51 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Yeah it seems people are missing that .... Chia went out of his way to mention he would love to see Jordan win that spot... I wonder if Chiarelli is happy with his season in the "A" thus far...

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 01:22 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:
When has he been handed the spot? When they signed Pouliot?

I'm not saying hes earned anything, I'm saying if you replace him with Spooner/Bourque right out of the gate it wouldn't be smart. Plus, whos to say anyone BUT Caron would be a better fit on the third line with the big club? Putting up points in the AHL is great and all, but Caron has a perfect skillset to be a third line winger, and has played with Kelly and Pevs before.

I say you give him ~10 games out of the gate to see what he can do, then if Bourque still has success down in the A and Caron still struggles you obviously need to make a change.
Outside of seguin no bruin rookie has been handed as much opportunity as Caron. This will be the third camp that he has a spot. They started him in 2010 with recchi and Bergeron. 2011 he has up against pouliot And could not do it. This year it will be more of the same. I hope he does well but he has been put in better positions than most prospects

Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 01:22 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Yeah it seems people are missing that .... Chia went out of his way to mention he would love to see Jordan win that spot... I wonder if Chiarelli is happy with his season in the "A" thus far...
Exactly. People point to Pouliot, but that signing was nothing more than insurance. They fully wanted Caron to take that spot and when he didn't perform, they fell back on Poo. Pretty sad that you are essentially given this spot and can't outperform the immortal Benoit Pouliot to hang onto it.

LSCII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 01:27 PM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Tales View Post
Everyone (or too many) seem to judge a player by his points. I haven't seen him play in Providence this year, but perhaps he's not getting too much TOI. Also, he's probably more focused on developing his two-way game (someone who has watched him this year is a better judge of that).

Having said that, if the NHL comes back this month it's guaranteed that Caron & Bourque will be fighting for the last roster spot on Offence, regardless of "points".
That's all some of us have to go on, though. And there isn't a single metric that shows that Caron is excelling in Providence over some of his peers. If his defensive game is where he's playing well, then his plus/minus wouldn't be fourth worst on his team.

And if his TOI isn't high, then why isn't he playing better to warrant more of that? It's not as though the team is so amazing that they can't justify giving more ice time to a player who is earning it.

Old
12-06-2012, 01:30 PM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:
Exactly. People point to Pouliot, but that signing was nothing more than insurance. They fully wanted Caron to take that spot and when he didn't perform, they fell back on Poo. Pretty sad that you are essentially given this spot and can't outperform the immortal Benoit Pouliot to hang onto it.
The Pouliot thing isn't necessarily fair, seeing as though it was mentioned that he didn't outplay other options at training camp, but was instead handed a spot with the idea that he'd improve.

Caron could have stolen that thought if he had made himself the far and away better option. He didn't. But he DID outplay Pouliot and went to Providence anyway.

Old
12-06-2012, 03:09 PM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
What other options do we have presently? Chris Bourque? The 26 year old who has made a career of dominating the AHL then doing nothing in the NHL? Sounds like a stud replacement for Caron huh? Spooner? The green rookie whos played ZERO games in the NHL? Knight? Sauve? WHO??

We should play Chris Bourque who has a grand total of FOUR points in 33 games? Caron is the best option we have at this point. How do you know he wont take off the minute he laces up the skates in Boston?

I'll take the my chances on the 22 year old ex-1st rounder over the 26 year old who hasnt had a shred of success in the NHL yet.

Old
12-06-2012, 03:13 PM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
Outside of seguin no bruin rookie has been handed as much opportunity as Caron. This will be the third camp that he has a spot. They started him in 2010 with recchi and Bergeron. 2011 he has up against pouliot And could not do it. This year it will be more of the same. I hope he does well but he has been put in better positions than most prospects
No one has given me an alternative yet, please tell me who we're going to play instead that is currently in the organization.

Bourque? Please, we want a journeyman 26 year old winger who has four total points in his NHL career to play on the third line of a cup contending team? Hell no. Any of the rookies? Who? Caron is more experienced that all of them and better defensively.

Funny thing is I didn't even say for the entire season. I said START with him there, then see how the next handful of games goes.

Old
12-06-2012, 03:22 PM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
No one has given me an alternative yet, please tell me who we're going to play instead that is currently in the organization.

Bourque? Please, we want a journeyman 26 year old winger who has four total points in his NHL career to play on the third line of a cup contending team? Hell no. Any of the rookies? Who? Caron is more experienced that all of them and better defensively.

Funny thing is I didn't even say for the entire season. I said START with him there, then see how the next handful of games goes.
I wouldn't judge Bourque based on 33 NHL games averaging 9 mins of TOI spot duty with a talented Pens and Caps squad. Caron can't even score at the AHL level. Neither is gonna light the NHL on fire but Bourque deserves a legitimate look and Caron needs to earn one.

BNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 04:01 PM
Fire Julien

Quote:
Don't forget they also invited Chris Clark as insurance . He couldn't even make one of the worst AHL squads.

Fire Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 06:34 PM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:

The alternative is inviting some guys to camp and letting their play determine who gets the spot. Not handing it over to Caron without him earning it (which he certainly isn't).

And this is coming from someone who really likes the kid. I loved his first stint in the NHL and I thought he showed some serious flashes last season too. Dig his shot, his size and his hockey sense... So it concerns me extra, when he doesn't even seem to be more than your average third-line AHL player.