HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Winnipeg Jets Prospect Thread 2012-13 (Part II)

Closed Thread

Old
12-05-2012, 11:14 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1350
Crazy game. Now 6-4 Kelowna.

Old
12-05-2012, 11:25 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

Lowry winds up with 3G, 1A in a 6-5 loss. Olsen with 1G.

Old
12-06-2012, 12:10 AM
Sweech
COYS!

vCash: 50
No PIMS for Lowry this game either.

Old
12-06-2012, 08:45 AM
Huffer

I wonder if Lowry would have had an invite if the tournament this year was on smaller ice.

Not saying he would make it, just wondering how much the decision might have be influenced by the larger ice surface?

Old
12-06-2012, 08:59 AM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
No PIMS for Lowry this game either.
I noted this in my AIH CHL thing the other day, but I think it is worth repeating. Scheifele has done an AMAZING job of staying penalty free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
Scheifele has only taken 2 penalties in the last 2 month. That is 2 PIM in 22 games.
That is almost Kyle Wellwood-ian

Old
12-06-2012, 10:52 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

http://www.swiftcurrentonline.com/in...566&Itemid=267

Quote:
Lowry then created a shorthanded breakaway early in the second, got tripped up and scored on an ensuing penalty shot to make it 2-0. After a Zach Franco goal off a Bronco skate, Lowry struck again knocking home a loose puck with a backhand on the power play to secure his second hat trick of the season and a 3-1 lead.

“He's a special player,” Broncos Assistant Coach Jamie Heward noted. “He gives you big minutes, plays against the top lines, scores goals, kills penalties... he's your franchise guy. He's one of those guys that will play hard every single night. He goes out and leads by example and our younger guys can take note and watch him every night. If they can do what he does we'll be successful.”
I love hearing those sorts of words to describe his effort. Lowry's father was one of my favorite players; he possessed an incredible defensive acumen for a forward. This kid is hopefully going to prove a gem for the Jets and preferably sooner rather than later, please. 6'5" bangers with both skills and smarts don't exactly grow on trees.

Old
12-06-2012, 10:56 AM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post

I love hearing those sorts of words to describe his effort. Lowry's father was one of my favorite players; he possessed an incredible defensive acumen for a forward. This kid is hopefully going to prove a gem for the Jets and preferably sooner rather than later, please. 6'5" bangers with both skills and smarts don't exactly grow on trees.
It also seems to me that he's still growing into his frame.

He will never be a burner, but he should be able to add some speed and improve his skating. ...and he will have to to be a factor at the next level.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:11 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

The concerns about Lowry's foot speed seem to be a bit overstated around here. He will never be Pavel Bure but he actually moves quite well for a big guy. I've watched several Broncos games each of the past few years and he often gets open for breakaways and on odd man rushes. He wheels up and down the ice all night long. His skating also appears greatly improved this year, probably due being able to do nothing but lower-body and skating work following his wrist surgery last December.

Big, lanky guys often appear to be awkward skaters due longer limbs. My own opinion is that he has the wheels to eventually play in a top 6 role in the NHL - as long as the hands also cooperate.

Last edited by Gump Hasek: 12-06-2012 at 11:21 AM.
Old
12-06-2012, 11:35 AM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
The concerns about Lowry's foot speed seem to be a bit overstated around here. He will never be Pavel Bure but he actually moves quite well for a big guy. I've watched several Broncos games each of the past few years and he often gets open for breakaways and on odd man rushes. He wheels up and down the ice all night long. His skating also appears greatly improved this year, probably due being able to do nothing but lower-body and skating work following his wrist surgery last December.

Big, lanky guys often appear to be awkward skaters due longer limbs. My own opinion is that he has the wheels to eventually play in a top 6 role in the NHL - as long as the hands also cooperate.
Good point.

He has improved a lot as a skater and his PK prowess has impressed the heck out of me. It seems to me that is about smart positional play more than skating though. That said, I love the short handed breakaways / goals no matter how he gets them.

You may be right about his foot speed, but I will always want more... and I think he has what it takes to get there.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:39 AM
Huffer

Quote:

Agree completely, those are exactly the words I love to hear as well. Very excited about this kid. Guys like this usually turn into my favorite players (Heart and Soul type guys).

Old
12-06-2012, 11:52 AM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
Agree completely, those are exactly the words I love to hear as well. Very excited about this kid. Guys like this usually turn into my favorite players (Heart and Soul type guys).
Heart and soul plus leadership.

Captaincy in the Subway Series was HUGE imo. I really like this kid, but it seems his leadership is common knowledge.

Old
12-06-2012, 12:04 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post

Captaincy in the Subway Series was HUGE imo. I really like this kid, but it seems his leadership is common knowledge.
Can you imagine if this kid went all Rod Brindamour in the next few offseasons?

A 6'5" tank that can skate, score, hit, and knock you out?

Old
12-06-2012, 12:04 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Glass Half Full

vCash: 406
Quote:

Agree Gump: watching him on his breakaway that generated the penalty shot, there didn't appear to be anything wrong with his speed. It's not Wheeler or Kane like, but it was definitely reasonable. If anything, his speed seems OK, but he appears a bit gangly and awkward, which I'm sure he'll grow out of with more time devoted to improving his skating skills.

I haven't watched much of him, but the few times I get to see highlights, I definitely like what I see.

Old
12-06-2012, 12:06 PM
Duir
Registered Bunk

He definitely needs to improve foot speed. He is good, but, by comparison, Wheeler is roughly the same size and weight and has dynamic acceleration. To me, Lowry has all the tools in place but this is one area where, if improved, he can separate himself from his WHL cohorts compete in the NHL.

I really like this kid though.

Old
12-06-2012, 01:05 PM
scelaton

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post

I agree also. His character reminds me of Mike Keane for some reason, but this kid has got size and skills that Mike never had.
He's the sort of kid whose 'rejection' from the WJC tryouts will make him even more determined. You just can't teach that stuff and, as Keane showed, it's just as important as skill for success.

Old
12-06-2012, 05:11 PM
jetkarma

Team Canada's head scout said they liked Lowry but he would need to be a bottom 6 forward and with the bigger ice surface his skating would not be what they were looking for/needed. Can't argue with that.

His game is much more built for the NHL , he'll hone his skill , get pro experience for a couple of years and should be a serious candidate for the Jets in 2015 imo.

Old
12-06-2012, 06:19 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Can you imagine if this kid went all Rod Brindamour in the next few offseasons?

A 6'5" tank that can skate, score, hit, and knock you out?
Sounds pretty good to me, too.

Old
12-06-2012, 09:06 PM
ps241
2.6% chance

I mentioned it once before but he has the size, character, and just enough game to perhaps be a Jim Peplinski type 3rd line leader. Lowry could be an essential roll player like Jim was and more than any other Jet I find it easy to envision him holding a Stanley cup over his head with a playoff beard. adam just seems like that type of player that will be around the cup more than once. I sure hope it's with us.

To be clear he just seems like he is going to be built for playoff hockey.....a big bodied version of a Bryan Skrudland, Mile Keane essential piece of the puzzle player.

Last edited by ps241: 12-06-2012 at 09:14 PM.
Old
12-06-2012, 09:14 PM
Hammer Slammer
Global Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
OHL

Barrie Colts 5 - Sudbury Wolves 2
Last Updated: Final

Scheifele: 0-1-1 +1 0PIM
2. BAR A. Camara, (20) (M. Scheifele, R. O'Connor), 6:19 (PP)

WHL

Tri-City Americans 4 - Seattle Thunderbirds 8
Last Updated: Final

Yuen: 0-0-0 -2 2PIM
2 - T.C Z. Yuen, 18:01 - Delay of Game, 2 min (PP)

Last edited by Hammer Slammer: 12-07-2012 at 12:50 AM.
Old
12-07-2012, 12:41 AM
GermanJetsFan
*PEW* *PEW* *PEW*

Is it just me wondering or is Scheifele in a tiny little scoring down?

Old
12-07-2012, 01:03 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanJetsFan View Post
Is it just me wondering or is Scheifele in a tiny little scoring down?
http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/r...ByGame/id/6640

Old
12-07-2012, 01:38 AM
GermanJetsFan
*PEW* *PEW* *PEW*

He has 1 G 1 A in the last 3 games...

SCORING SLUMP !

Kiddin'... but it's good when you feel like he slowed down for the last couple of games and he's still at more than a PPG rate for the last 5 Gives you an idea of how good he's scoring this year.

Last 5 Games 4 G 4 A.

Old
12-07-2012, 02:13 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Strome has been on fire the last month+ with at least a point in every game during that stretch...

13 GP, 9 G, 26 A, 35 Pts, +18 in November

2 GP, 4 G, 2 A, 6 Pts, +3 in December

He's really pulled ahead in the OHL scoring race.

Old
12-07-2012, 02:25 AM
GermanJetsFan
*PEW* *PEW* *PEW*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise View Post
Strome has been on fire the last month+ with at least a point in every game during that stretch...

13 GP, 9 G, 26 A, 35 Pts, +18 in November

2 GP, 4 G, 2 A, 6 Pts, +3 in December

He's really pulled ahead in the OHL scoring race.
He'll win it and I'm fine with that. Let the Isles get them their scoring guy, I still prefer Scheifele regarding to the next step they both need to make to put their game on the next level against NHL players. It could be very possible that Strome will have more struggles adapting his game than Scheifele. Although I think he'll make it.

Closed Thread