HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Philadelphia Eagles (NFL): ESPN: Eagles Land Kelly (Jan. 16)

Closed Thread

Old
12-04-2012, 10:19 AM
FlyersFan61290

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehands77 View Post
He appears to have been a jerk from the start, and Reid botched it badly hiring Washburn first, then the d-coordinator. He spent the past 2 years just undermining the hell out of Castillo, and the Babin thing was the last straw. See Reuben Franks' article on it for some more info.
yeah read somewhere that most d-coordinator candidates weren't even interested in the position because of Washburn. They knew they wouldn't be in complete control which seemed to be a no go and rightfully so.

Old
12-04-2012, 10:50 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
This team is going to have a ton of issues for the next couple of years unless they have a couple of dynamite drafts. They need help in almost every position on the field.

I fully expect a complete overhaul for the staff though. Reid, Mornhinweg, Bowles, April, Mudd, and Washburn will all be gone. That's a ton of staff to replace in one off season. I have a feeling that whoever they hire will be given full control to bring in whoever he wants.

RB is about the only position on the team that looks solid going forward.
I don't think it will be quite that bad. They should have a ton of cap space assuming they get rid of some of their stiffs: Vick, Bell, Babin (already gone), Jenkins. That right there would give free up ~30M in cap space.

They are missing 3 starters off the offensive line. All they really need to do is get a RG/RT either in FA or the draft. Shouldn't be too hard. Unless all three guys are ruined (Peters could be), the offense should be ok. Plus, there are some guys coming on the market I wouldn't mind going after: Jake Long or Ryan Clady. They could also possibly go after a guy like Dwayne Bowe in FA to shore up the WR corp.

Defensively, the DLine is fine. They really need Safeties, LBs, CBs. They could go after a William Moore-type safety or even a Louis Delmas. And possibly draft a Mante Teo or Dee Milliner in the first. I'm not giving up on Asomugha yet. Maybe a restructure is in order for him.

Old
12-04-2012, 11:05 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
I don't think it will be quite that bad. They should have a ton of cap space assuming they get rid of some of their stiffs: Vick, Bell, Babin (already gone), Jenkins. That right there would give free up ~30M in cap space.

They are missing 3 starters off the offensive line. All they really need to do is get a RG/RT either in FA or the draft. Shouldn't be too hard. Unless all three guys are ruined (Peters could be), the offense should be ok. Plus, there are some guys coming on the market I wouldn't mind going after: Jake Long or Ryan Clady. They could also possibly go after a guy like Dwayne Bowe in FA to shore up the WR corp.

Defensively, the DLine is fine. They really need Safeties, LBs, CBs. They could go after a William Moore-type safety or even a Louis Delmas. And possibly draft a Mante Teo or Dee Milliner in the first. I'm not giving up on Asomugha yet. Maybe a restructure is in order for him.
There is no way Miami let's Jake Long walk. Franchise him is a possibility I believe, but they most likely will get a deal done. Clady is one that could make it to free agency though. Also New England has Waters who didn't report to them, so maybe he would be a possibility to pick up after this year. Old he is, but good.

If we go for a wide receiver in free agency, I would hope for Mike Wallace, and trade away little Jackson. You might be able to get a 2nd rounder for him. Mike Wallace would be a perfect target for FOLES! if they still run the west coast offense next year. If you want to keep Jackson, throw him in the slot and see how he does there.

Also the biggest need this team has had since Dawkins is safety. They desperately need NFL caliber safety's in their lineup.

I would rather keep DRC over Asogwhathisname. Younger, cheaper, and has potential to still get better. Just needs to learn how to tackle. Funny how when we got him from Arizona, everyone said he was a physical in your face corner. Seems like he left that part of himself in the desert.

Old
12-04-2012, 11:21 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
There is no way Miami let's Jake Long walk. Franchise him is a possibility I believe, but they most likely will get a deal done. Clady is one that could make it to free agency though. Also New England has Waters who didn't report to them, so maybe he would be a possibility to pick up after this year. Old he is, but good.

If we go for a wide receiver in free agency, I would hope for Mike Wallace, and trade away little Jackson. You might be able to get a 2nd rounder for him. Mike Wallace would be a perfect target for FOLES! if they still run the west coast offense next year. If you want to keep Jackson, throw him in the slot and see how he does there.

Also the biggest need this team has had since Dawkins is safety. They desperately need NFL caliber safety's in their lineup.

I would rather keep DRC over Asogwhathisname. Younger, cheaper, and has potential to still get better. Just needs to learn how to tackle. Funny how when we got him from Arizona, everyone said he was a physical in your face corner. Seems like he left that part of himself in the desert.
Doubt Long gets franchised. Miami would have to pay him upwards of 15M if they did. He's been having some injury issues the last two year that would make tagging him an expensive gamble. I would only make a play for those guys if Peters will never be 100% again. If Peters is healthy, he's the best LT in the game. I think the Eagles should really look at a guy like Barrett Jones in the draft (if they trade down), he can play all the OL positions.

I would like to see them keep both CBs. I think they look worse then they are because of the high school level safety play we have. I really think if they get an NFL caliber safety, the CBs will look a lot better.

Old
12-04-2012, 01:39 PM
Flyotes
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
trade away little Jackson. You might be able to get a 2nd rounder for him.
I wouldn't put him in the slot to get murdered. He shies away from dangerous passes as is.

Teams that can hit receivers in stride regularly might give you something for him. See: New England. Or any team interested in stretching the field for a shorter passing game.

Old
12-04-2012, 08:34 PM
flyershockey

Quote:

Defensively, the DLine is fine. They really need Safeties, LBs, CBs. They could go after a William Moore-type safety or even a Louis Delmas. And possibly draft a Mante Teo or Dee Milliner in the first. I'm not giving up on Asomugha yet. Maybe a
restructure is in order for him.
Even if Peters gets back to pre-injury form, I'm not sold of them being a good unit. They just don't have the talent up front to compete against the better pass rushes in the league. It'll also be a tough task to get either Long or Clady.

The defense needs a lot of help outside of tackle. Outside of Kendricks, they have no one as a long term solution at linebacker. They need two safeties as well. Allen hasn't recovered from the knee injury, and Kurt Coleman just isn't good enough to be a starter in the NFL. I'd hold onto Namdi, but would get rid of DRC. He's too soft to play against the more physical receivers. That's not good when guys like Nicks, Bryant, and Garcon are going to be his match ups in the division for the foreseeable future. He's like A. Samuel without the ability to create turnovers. Both Graham and Cole are too small to be dominant pass rushers for an entire season. If they want them to stay as the starters, they're going to have to have a good rotation of ends to spell those guys.

I would love to see Bowe here though. He would give them a great red zone threat. Jackson and Maclin don't have the ability to go up and get the jump balls. Cooper hasn't been bad at it when he's gotten the chance though.

Old
12-05-2012, 09:19 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:

They'd benefit from having just high school caliber safety's.

Old
12-05-2012, 10:07 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
Even if Peters gets back to pre-injury form, I'm not sold of them being a good unit. They just don't have the talent up front to compete against the better pass rushes in the league. It'll also be a tough task to get either Long or Clady.

The defense needs a lot of help outside of tackle. Outside of Kendricks, they have no one as a long term solution at linebacker. They need two safeties as well. Allen hasn't recovered from the knee injury, and Kurt Coleman just isn't good enough to be a starter in the NFL. I'd hold onto Namdi, but would get rid of DRC. He's too soft to play against the more physical receivers. That's not good when guys like Nicks, Bryant, and Garcon are going to be his match ups in the division for the foreseeable future. He's like A. Samuel without the ability to create turnovers. Both Graham and Cole are too small to be dominant pass rushers for an entire season. If they want them to stay as the starters, they're going to have to have a good rotation of ends to spell those guys.

I would love to see Bowe here though. He would give them a great red zone threat. Jackson and Maclin don't have the ability to go up and get the jump balls. Cooper hasn't been bad at it when he's gotten the chance though.
If Peters get back to his pre-injury form, there's no need for Long or Clady. You could simply draft Joekel, slot him in the RT spot. Move Herremans to RG and the line is solid. Don't forget, they were pretty good in 2011.

The defense needs some work, I agree. Safety is the biggest concern, but I think they can fill that in FA.

Old
12-06-2012, 09:10 AM
Justified
Amaro out

With them losing out (which they will), they will get no lower than the 3rd pick. Right now they are 4. The Jaguars play the Jets this week, so Im expecting a win there for them. Also play the Dolphins and Titans. Since their SOS is much much higher than the Eagles it will move them up to 3rd.

The Chiefs are at the Browns and home against the Raiders. Definitely capable of winning both of those games. Their SOS is only .07 higher than the Eagles. The Raiders also play the panthers.

The Birds could get the 1st pick.

Old
12-06-2012, 09:28 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justified View Post
With them losing out (which they will), they will get no lower than the 3rd pick. Right now they are 4. The Jaguars play the Jets this week, so Im expecting a win there for them. Also play the Dolphins and Titans. Since their SOS is much much higher than the Eagles it will move them up to 3rd.

The Chiefs are at the Browns and home against the Raiders. Definitely capable of winning both of those games. Their SOS is only .07 higher than the Eagles. The Raiders also play the panthers.

The Birds could get the 1st pick.
Worst year to get the 1st pick since there are no stud QBs out there. I'm intrigued by Jarvis Jones, but spinal stenosis scares me. But really, he's a flat out stud and probably the one player truely worth a top pick.

Old
12-06-2012, 10:14 AM
RussianRocket10

I guess you take the best player available when you're drafting in the first round but I thought Foles was our QB of the future so I don't think we need to draft a QB.

Old
12-06-2012, 10:17 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Worst year to get the 1st pick since there are no stud QBs out there. I'm intrigued by Jarvis Jones, but spinal stenosis scares me. But really, he's a flat out stud and probably the one player truely worth a top pick.
He is definitely the only player right now worthy as the #1 selection.

Also I don't know how anyone can throw FOLES under the bus right now. He is a rookie quarterback thrown into the fire which this city is. Against Dallas you could see his confidence rising, and he played a pretty good game. If we blow up this team, I would give FOLES next year to see if he can handle the load of being an NFL starter. If not then go out and draft a new QB in the following years draft.

Old
12-06-2012, 10:42 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianRocket10 View Post
I guess you take the best player available when you're drafting in the first round but I thought Foles was our QB of the future so I don't think we need to draft a QB.
You want that stud QB at the top of the draft because it raises the value of the pick. If you have the #1 and Jarvis Jones is the top player, the top pick has little trade value unless someone really loves Jarvis Jones. If Andrew Luck is the #1 pick people will give you 3 1sts for your pick even if you aren't going to take a QB (see St. Louis last year with Bradford as their QB of the future).

Old
12-06-2012, 12:13 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Yep ther are no RGlll's and Andrew Luck's in this draft. Best bet is to take a lineman....either side will do. Take the best man there. Or a trade down to gather more options. Maybe the new group will be able to draft some decent players!

Old
12-06-2012, 12:19 PM
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier

Send a message via AIM to flyguy
Quote:
He is definitely the only player right now worthy as the #1 selection.

Also I don't know how anyone can throw FOLES under the bus right now. He is a rookie quarterback thrown into the fire which this city is. Against Dallas you could see his confidence rising, and he played a pretty good game. If we blow up this team, I would give FOLES next year to see if he can handle the load of being an NFL starter. If not then go out and draft a new QB in the following years draft.
If an Andrew Luck or RG3 were in the draft this year, and you have the top pick, there is no way you pass on him. I don't care what Foles does the rest of the year.

Whoever is running this team next year needs to decide which direction they are going: either elite QB (ala the Pats or the current Colts or the Colts of yesteryear), or elite defense with game managing QB (ala the 49ers or Steelers). Even though the team is currently set up for the latter, if that stud QB is there, I don't know how you can pass it up.

Old
12-06-2012, 01:10 PM
Justified
Amaro out

Quote:
One of the teams I pull for in CFB is Georgia. So I have seen him play just about every game the last two years. Can be absolutely dominant. If he didnt have that condition he would probably undoubtly be the first pick. Some people are still predicting him to go 1st.

The one thing that concerns me about him is that like in the last game against Bama he got pushed around in the 2nd half (no all his fault as his lineman were getting blown off the ball). You dont need to run a 3-4 to draft him. They can do with the Broncos do with Von Miller, have him play weakside linebacker (though Miller plays strongside) and then have him unleash hell on the QB in passing situations. A dominant pass rusher is very valuable.

Old
12-06-2012, 02:14 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
One of the teams I pull for in CFB is Georgia. So I have seen him play just about every game the last two years. Can be absolutely dominant. If he didnt have that condition he would probably undoubtly be the first pick. Some people are still predicting him to go 1st.

The one thing that concerns me about him is that like in the last game against Bama he got pushed around in the 2nd half (no all his fault as his lineman were getting blown off the ball). You dont need to run a 3-4 to draft him. They can do with the Broncos do with Von Miller, have him play weakside linebacker (though Miller plays strongside) and then have him unleash hell on the QB in passing situations. A dominant pass rusher is very valuable.
He's no where near Von Miller though. I see Jones dropping in the draft due to his condition. If I'm taking a 3-4 OLB, I'm taking Mingo from LSU.

Old
12-06-2012, 04:01 PM
Flyotes
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy View Post
if that stud QB is there, I don't know how you can pass it up.
Right now, there isn't predicted to be a stud QB.

I've heard individuals talking about how IF teams didn't need QBs, the first quarterback selected would easily be in the second round.

Old
12-06-2012, 04:07 PM
Justified
Amaro out

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
He's no where near Von Miller though. I see Jones dropping in the draft due to his condition. If I'm taking a 3-4 OLB, I'm taking Mingo from LSU.
I disagree, Miller is the better player but to me there isnt a huge gap. They both are elite pass rushers. Though Jones had a bad game against Bama in the running game I would say he is average in that facet. Needs to get bigger though. Some people had him going #1 early in the season even before all the other QB's flamed out, so it's not like people have him going there by default. I like Mingo, but he was much better last year. Hasnt been dominant as you would expect out of a top pick.

Last edited by Justified: 12-06-2012 at 04:36 PM.
Old
12-06-2012, 04:36 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
I disagree, Miller is the better player but to me there isnt a huge gap. Some people had him going #1 early in the season even before all the other QB's flamed out, so it's not like people have him going there by default. I like Mingo, but he was much better last year. Hasnt been dominant as you would expect out of a top pick.
Miller is on another level athletically.

Mingo doesn't have the same production but between his length and athleticism, he could be DeMarcus Ware like at the next level.

Old
12-06-2012, 04:45 PM
Prongo
Beer

This is becoming ridiculous, removing kickoff from the game??

It's some of the most entertaining plays in the game. Football is becoming a ***** sport.

Old
12-06-2012, 04:47 PM
Justified
Amaro out

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
Miller is on another level athletically.

Mingo doesn't have the same production but between his length and athleticism, he could be DeMarcus Ware like at the next level.
Could is the key word. I wouldnt want to draft a player top 5 based on potential and not how he has played. If they are going to a 3-4 then they should use Graham and possibly Curry as the OLB (think they would actually be productive there as opposed to being undersized DE).

Old
12-06-2012, 04:59 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Could is the key word. I wouldnt want to draft a player top 5 based on potential and not how he has played. If they are going to a 3-4 then they should use Graham and possibly Curry as the OLB (think they would actually be productive there as opposed to being undersized DE).
Graham and Curry aren't athletic enough to be every down 3-4 outside backers. They could do it, but they wouldn't be ideal. Graham if he lost a little weight could be alright. Phillip Hunt might be the best option on the team right now. The draft is the only way to get an elite one and there are plenty of potential guys in this draft. I said it before, this is a great draft to transition to a 3-4.

Old
12-07-2012, 05:19 PM
Mkoll
Inkvisiittori

Quote:
This is becoming ridiculous, removing kickoff from the game??

It's some of the most entertaining plays in the game. Football is becoming a ***** sport.
Perhaps.

However, as football related injuries become more and more public. Less parents will allow their kids to play football..which means, less high school players, leading to less college and pro players.

Football could die out all together if they dont start making it safer.

Old
12-07-2012, 08:15 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I'd love Manti Te'o. I was hoping he would enter last year and the Eagles could work something out to get him (could have even fallen to them outright in the draft last year).

Closed Thread