HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off-Season Madness the 9th: Tom Cheek Memorial Edition

Closed Thread

Old
12-06-2012, 10:52 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
What?

A guy with 150 major league starts under his belt, willing to sign a minor league deal, had pretty good numbers in the PCL last year.

He's the guy who comes in and starts when you lose 2 guys in a week... Also can be a valuable vet for the young starters like Jenkins and McGuire at AAA. How can that be anything but good?
i mean as our spot starter/#5 starter

he'll help fill a spot in buffalo as an emergency recall

Old
12-06-2012, 11:07 AM
theaub
Lets go Hawks!

vCash: 995
Nobody is expecting him to compete for a roster spot...

Old
12-06-2012, 11:07 AM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post

Well yeah... I don't think there's anyone in baseball who thinks Vargas will be anywhere but Buffalo to start the year, barring injury

Old
12-06-2012, 11:10 AM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

If Grilli signed with us, I would think Delabar starts out in the minors assuming nobody else gets moved.

Janssen/Santos/Oliver/Lincoln/Cecil/Rogers are all locks, yes Cecil as well due to being out of options. Rogers and Lincoln are out of options as well I think which pushes out Delabar. If Oliver retires, Delabar takes his spot (he might as well be used like a LOOGY anyway).

Old
12-06-2012, 11:11 AM
Leafssss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
If Grilli signed with us, I would think Delabar starts out in the minors assuming nobody else gets moved.

Janssen/Santos/Oliver/Lincoln/Cecil/Rogers are all locks, yes Cecil as well due to being out of options. Rogers and Lincoln are out of options as well I think which pushes out Delabar. If Oliver retires, Delabar takes his spot (he might as well be used like a LOOGY anyway).
I think something else would be figured out. You don't send a guy to the minors after he played great last year.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:14 AM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

I'm not expecting Grilli to sign here though.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:25 AM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafssss View Post
I think something else would be figured out. You don't send a guy to the minors after he played great last year.
Sure you do, if he is a pre-arb player with options left. He isn't an established reliever and while he pitched well for us, he also struggled a bit with the Mariners. Sample size isn't big enough and I'm not sure anyone knows what he'll gve you next season.

Its also possible that he doesn't even start out in the minors, someone could go down in ST or Santos may not end up being healthy.

All moot point right now as he hasn't signed with us and there are plenty of months to figure out what to do.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:30 AM
topched

Twins just got Worley and a prospect for Revere. This is the same type of return I'd expect for Arencibia

Old
12-06-2012, 11:33 AM
Quik
Agent 0091

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post

That's exactly the role he's filling, Buffalo rotation/emergency spot starts when guys go down...Similar to what Laffey's role last season was.

Quote:
Sure you do, if he is a pre-arb player with options left. He isn't an established reliever and while he pitched well for us, he also struggled a bit with the Mariners. Sample size isn't big enough and I'm not sure anyone knows what he'll gve you next season.

Its also possible that he doesn't even start out in the minors, someone could go down in ST or Santos may not end up being healthy.

All moot point right now as he hasn't signed with us and there are plenty of months to figure out what to do.
I agree, if it turns out we have to send Delabar to Buffalo because all our guys without options deserve to be on the team, then that's a huge plus for us. I mean, Accardo's excellent 2007 didn't save him from being optioned later.

Also, on Santos, I haven't seen this posted, but AA said he's 100% ready to go for spring, won't be held back to start unless he re-aggravates something, but that shouldn't be a problem.

“He feels great. He actually wants to throw right now and we’re not allowing him to throw. We don’t need to have him throwing right now, but he feels unbelievable. I know everyone says these things when someone’s coming back off rehab– ‘it’s the best I’ve felt in years,’ and so on– but he’s told us that, and our doctors and trainers feel very confident that he should be fine.”

http://blogs.thescore.com/djf/2012/1...lievable-more/

Old
12-06-2012, 11:43 AM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quik View Post
That's exactly the role he's filling, Buffalo rotation/emergency spot starts when guys go down...Similar to what Laffey's role last season was.

I agree, if it turns out we have to send Delabar to Buffalo because all our guys without options deserve to be on the team, then that's a huge plus for us. I mean, Accardo's excellent 2007 didn't save him from being optioned later.

Also, on Santos, I haven't seen this posted, but AA said he's 100% ready to go for spring, won't be held back to start unless he re-aggravates something, but that shouldn't be a problem.

“He feels great. He actually wants to throw right now and we’re not allowing him to throw. We don’t need to have him throwing right now, but he feels unbelievable. I know everyone says these things when someone’s coming back off rehab– ‘it’s the best I’ve felt in years,’ and so on– but he’s told us that, and our doctors and trainers feel very confident that he should be fine.”

http://blogs.thescore.com/djf/2012/1...lievable-more/
Hopefully they make Santos and Janssen compete for the closer role, with the better coming out on top and not just give it back to Janssen.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:48 AM
weems

Theres almost no chance Delabar gets sent to the minors.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:53 AM
D3ADLY

Quote:

I don't watch much baseball but you don't send a good reliever to minors. I would get rid of Cecil immediately and easily before trying to touch any other guy in our bullpen and AL East feasts on him. Cecil velocity and accuracy is not good enough to be pitching on a contending team. Again just my opinion and i do not follow much baseball just sometimes i get a chance to watch blue jays games.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:54 AM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by weems View Post
Theres almost no chance Delabar gets sent to the minors.
This.

Right now:

Guaranteed spots:
Janssen
Santos
Delabar
Lincoln

Spots to lose:
Cecil
Rogers

Everyone else has to beat one of Cecil or Rogers

Old
12-06-2012, 11:54 AM
Animal

Quote:
Twins just got Worley and a prospect for Revere. This is the same type of return I'd expect for Arencibia
If thats the return you'd get for arencibia, then you trade him asap. The prospect the twins got is Trevor May, probably the phillies' top prospect. Of course the phillies' farm system isn't what it used to be but still, the twins got a very solid package for revere.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:58 AM
Animal

Delabar had 46 k's in 29.1 innings after joining Toronto. If he keeps fanning batters like he did for us, thats the kind of guy you need in your bullpen in the AL East.

I'd much rather release Cecil

Old
12-06-2012, 11:58 AM
Edler Von Gud

Send a message via MSN to Edler Von Gud
Quote:
prospect is trevor may, Phillies 2nd rated prospect. I wonder if the Phillies approached the jays with the same deal for gose (who I think has more potential than revere in every area except average/contact)
cf seems to be in high demand.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:59 AM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3ADLY View Post
I don't watch much baseball but you don't send a good reliever to minors. I would get rid of Cecil immediately and easily before trying to touch any other guy in our bullpen and AL East feasts on him. Cecil velocity and accuracy is not good enough to be pitching on a contending team. Again just my opinion and i do not follow much baseball just sometimes i get a chance to watch blue jays games.
Lol why offer up a bold opinion when you fully admit that you don't watch much baseball?

Cecil was very effective in relief last year.... He's much more suited for the pen. He was a closer in college. His velocity is pretty good when he's only pitching an inning or two.

He's got two things going for him as a member of this pen: he can give you multiple innings in long relief, and he's pretty tough against Lefties... Something were in short supply of.... Especially without Oliver

Old
12-06-2012, 12:00 PM
Animal

Grilli reportedly re-signs with pirates

Last edited by Animal: 12-06-2012 at 12:06 PM.
Old
12-06-2012, 12:00 PM
calcal798

Quote:
Derek Holland + Ogando for Arencibia + Oliver.

Last edited by calcal798: 12-06-2012 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Grille resigning
Old
12-06-2012, 12:04 PM
D3ADLY

Quote:
Lol why offer up a bold opinion when you fully admit that you don't watch much baseball?

Cecil was very effective in relief last year.... He's much more suited for the pen. He was a closer in college. His velocity is pretty good when he's only pitching an inning or two.

He's got two things going for him as a member of this pen: he can give you multiple innings in long relief, and he's pretty tough against Lefties... Something were in short supply of.... Especially without Oliver
lol your right i shouldn't say things i don't know much about but whenever i watched Cecil pitch (highlights or game) he got lit up except maybe 1 season. and the poster had mentioned Oliver so there is your top lefty.

Old
12-06-2012, 12:05 PM
Leafssss

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcal798 View Post
Derek Holland + Ogando for Arencibia + Oliver.
No way Texas does that, wouldn't be surprised if they hesitated giving up either of Ogando/Holland for that package alone.

Old
12-06-2012, 12:07 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Delabar had a 4.17 ERA in 36.2 IP as a Mariner last season. Had an ugly 2.2 HR/9 but tons of strikeouts, limited walks and hits.

As a Jay, he had a 3.38 ERA in 29.1 IP but saw a drop in his HR/9 (2.2 to 0.9) but saw his walks go up. Strikeouts were already very good but went up even more.

Basically, that was his first full season and overall, it was fairly good but he wasn't crazy dominant or anything to suggest his spot is a lock. He was in fact in the minors in 2011. Reached majors and pitched a whopping 7 innings in 2011. I fail to see how he can't possibly lose his spot.

It's never a bad thing either if you can find yourself an upgrade and push someone good down the order.

Old
12-06-2012, 12:12 PM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafssss View Post
No way Texas does that, wouldn't be surprised if they hesitated giving up either of Ogando/Holland for that package alone.
If it wouldnt work for both I'd make it just for Holland then. He'd be a good #5 for us. I was just saying Ogando cause of the Grille signing.

Old
12-06-2012, 12:17 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Looks like Pirates are re-signing Grilli... so uhh, yeah, that was totally a waste of time.

Love the Revere/Worley deal for Twins. Revere is okay but just seems so meh and almost all of his value comes from playing good defense and baserunning at CF. Worley is a decent pitcher and Twins really need pitching help. May is a fairly good prospect despite a bit of a rough season in AA. Was a top 100 prospect coming into 2012. I'll bet Phillies were offering Jays the same package for Rasmus.

Koji Uehara signs with the Red Sux. Ugh, great signing for them. He had a nutty 3/43 BB/K ratio last year.

Old
12-06-2012, 12:28 PM
Animal

Quote:
Looks like Pirates are re-signing Grilli... so uhh, yeah, that was totally a waste of time.

Love the Revere/Worley deal for Twins. Revere is okay but just seems so meh and almost all of his value comes from playing good defense and baserunning at CF. Worley is a decent pitcher and Twins really need pitching help. May is a fairly good prospect despite a bit of a rough season in AA. Was a top 100 prospect coming into 2012. I'll bet Phillies were offering Jays the same package for Rasmus.

Koji Uehara signs with the Red Sux. Ugh, great signing for them. He had a nutty 3/43 BB/K ratio last year.
Does everyone remember when he blocked a trade to the Jays? Now that he's on Boston we have another reason to hate him

Closed Thread