HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12'-13' Draft Thread: Drouin & Monahan are LR's pick, what are yours?

Closed Thread

Old
12-06-2012, 10:47 AM
SarcazemKadri

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlattNazty View Post
I said for right price for starters, but: 30 is not that old for goalies, it really isn't. Bobkov + Fasth are legit options and I think they have another prospect I am forgetting, and if they are going to try and express to Getz + Perry they are serious they may look to add another controllable piece.

For that reason a guy like Franson comes to mind but sadly they stocked up on D. Not sure just saying I see a plausible scenario.
I agree. He could easily play to 35, but he hasn't yet shown that he has come back from his injuries fully. I don't prefer Gibson any more then Reimer, in fact, Reimer has shown more to this date. If the price was low, I would certainly be on board to pick up Gibson but there are no signs suggesting it would be.

This team needs a veteran goalie that can still play to mentor our prospects, not another prospect.

As far as the 2013 draft goes, I'd like the leafs to use a mid to late round pick on a goalie. If they did this every year they would eventually luck out and find a gem.

Old
12-06-2012, 10:53 AM
KlattNazty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarcazemKadri View Post
I agree. He could easily play to 35, but he hasn't yet shown that he has come back from his injuries fully. I don't prefer Gibson any more then Reimer, in fact, Reimer has shown more to this date. If the price was low, I would certainly be on board to pick up Gibson but there are no signs suggesting it would be.

This team needs a veteran goalie that can still play to mentor our prospects, not another prospect.

As far as the 2013 draft goes, I'd like the leafs to use a mid to late round pick on a goalie. If they did this every year they would eventually luck out and find a gem.
True but what is interesting about hiller and makes him IMO a candidate to play PAST 35 is: 1) he came into league at 26 and thus has considerably less wear and tear, an 2: his biggest injury thusfar has been vertigo which is a virus. Not a physical ailment so should he recover, he won't have done any actual body damage. That's important.

Gibson is great. I've seen him live a bunch and I can't say enough. So confident. Butterfly is great, glove is lightning, angles are top notch, cockiness is strong, and makes the save he shouldn't. I love it.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:03 AM
JMcLeaf
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 50
If I'm the Ducks I'm holding on to Hiller and Gibson. When Hiller is healthy he is their MVP. I had him in a keeper league a couple seasons ago so I paid more attention to him than usual and wow the guy is underrated around here. Stole so many games for that Ducks that they had no business being in. He went through a rough stretch with the vertigo, but appeared to be getting his game back after a couple months.

I am extremely high on Gibson and I'm pretty confident that he will become a NHL starter. The guy is just so calm out there and has the ability to carry a team. If I'm the Ducks there is no way I move him unless it's a deal I simply can't refuse.

I'd keep running with Hiller and give Gibson the time he needs to develop. Eventually they could have a Hiller-Gibson tandem, where the hope would be that Gibson eventually takes over the starting role and runs with it.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:40 AM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
"It" Factor to me is not flash, when I use the term "IT" to me there is something about that player that is a special.

I used the example of Toews and Huberdeau earlier, I wouldn't call them flashy, but you could tell there was something special about these guys, they are winners.

Wendel Clark had an "it" factor. Joe Sakic, Scott Neidermayer.

It's not measured in talent or points. Alex Semin and Kovalev 2 very talented and flashy players never had an "it" factor to me, so what I am saying is to me "it" factor simply means there is something extraordinary or special about an athlete.

Not the fastest, strongest, most talented player, but someone that is very good at their craft. Ie. Tom Brady, Doug Gilmour, Robbie Alomar, ect...
Which is exactly what Barkov has. He's special and I'd bet fairly heavily that people will see that come the WJC's.

Old
12-06-2012, 12:30 PM
SnipeCheeseAllDay

Any one of MacKinnon, Barkov, Monahan or Jones (in that order) would be great for us.

Old
12-06-2012, 02:10 PM
BertCorbeau
Oh Mr Peeenguin...

Yeah right now I'd take MacKinnon, Barkov and Monahan over Jones at this point given the need for the need of a high quality cente prospect .. Although I wouldn't complain if the Leafs ended up with Jones .. A Jones-Rielly pairing would be pretty nasty going forward

Old
12-06-2012, 02:35 PM
weems

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertCorbeau View Post
Yeah right now I'd take MacKinnon, Barkov and Monahan over Jones at this point given the need for the need of a high quality cente prospect .. Although I wouldn't complain if the Leafs ended up with Jones .. A Jones-Rielly pairing would be pretty nasty going forward
Theres no way I would take Monahan over Jones even if Monahan is techinically a better fit.

Jones is just a way better prospect.

Old
12-06-2012, 03:34 PM
Terrence
Homeless

I'm also of the belief that if the Leafs held the 2nd overall pick, they should take Jones. Barkov is VERY good, but you always go BPA, and imo, Jones is the BPA at 2. He's just the complete package.

Old
12-06-2012, 06:11 PM
leugangen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrence View Post
I'm also of the belief that if the Leafs held the 2nd overall pick, they should take Jones. Barkov is VERY good, but you always go BPA, and imo, Jones is the BPA at 2. He's just the complete package.
I'd see if the #3 pick wanted to trade up for Jones and what they would offer. Jones and Rielly would definitely give us top D-pairing for a decade+, but Barkov is too good for me to pass on I think. Top flight centres don't grow on trees.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:07 PM
Leafs For Life*
Nothing

With that scenario, sometimes you have to make a decision because on one side, you pick Jones and have him and Rielly on the top pair leaving Phaneuf available to trade for someone like Stastny, when on the other side you keep your assets, grow some talent, have a 1A C instead of 1B, and preferably for me get a hometown boy that would shut Cherry up.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:28 PM
SnipeCheeseAllDay

If we can somehow acquire a #1C through a trade OR sign Ryan Getzlaf (preferably), then taking Jones at 2 would be ideal. A future D core of:

Rielly - Jones
Gardiner - Phaneuf
Gunnarsson - Holzer
-Percy/Finn

If no Getzlaf, then I would personally trade for up to #3 and take Barkov.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:43 PM
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertCorbeau View Post
Jones is a RH dman. This is also an organizational need of ours.

Old
12-07-2012, 05:33 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinnishKulemin View Post
Which is exactly what Barkov has. He's special and I'd bet fairly heavily that people will see that come the WJC's.
Craig Button updated December ranking, top 10. You can't critique him now, he has Barkov at #3, Drouin at #4.

1. Seth Jones 1 Portland (WHL) Oct. 3/94 D R 6'3/208 27 7 13 20 +22
2. Nathan MacKinnon 2 Halifax (QMJHL) Sep. 1/95 C R 6'0/182 27 22 25 47 +26
3. Alexander Barkov 3 Tappara (FIN) Sep. 2/95 C L 6'2/205 28 14 14 28 +9
4. Jonathan Drouin 13 Halifax (QMJHL) Mar. 27/95 LW L 5'11/185 21 15 27 42 +19
5. Elias Lindholm 5 Brynas (SWE) Dec. 2/94 C R 5'11/181 29 5 12 17 -4
6. Sean Monahan 6 Ottawa (OHL) Oct. 12/94 C L 6'2/186 24 12 24 36 -3
7. Nikita Zadorov 7 London (OHL) Apr. 15/95 D L 6'5/230 29 2 9 11 +22
8. Valeri Nichushkin 4 Chelijabinsk 2 (RUS) Mar. 4/95 LW L 6'4/196 30 12 8 20 +15
9. Josh Morrissey 8 Prince Albert (WHL) Mar. 28/95 D L 5'11/182 29 7 15 22 14
10. Ryan Pulock 9 Brandon (WHL) Oct. 6/94 D R 6'0/211 24 9 16 25 +14

Old
12-07-2012, 07:04 AM
daethfromabove1979

i know they aren't the same positions but its a great comparison:

mackinnon = hall
drouin = nugent-hopkins

who do you take? i'm liking drouin at this point, amazing skill

Old
12-07-2012, 07:15 AM
TheNorthFace
Mo and Willy

Quote:
Originally Posted by daethfromabove1979 View Post

mackinnon = hall
drouin = nugent-hopkins

Don't think they're that comparable to be honest. I don't see a whole lot of Hall in MacKinnon. I see more of RNH in Drouin, but he still wouldn't be the first comparable to come to mind. I'm taking MacKinnon at this point by a fair margin, still love Drouin though.

Last edited by TheNorthFace: 12-07-2012 at 07:23 AM.
Old
12-07-2012, 07:33 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLeaf View Post
If I'm the Ducks I'm holding on to Hiller and Gibson. When Hiller is healthy he is their MVP. I had him in a keeper league a couple seasons ago so I paid more attention to him than usual and wow the guy is underrated around here. Stole so many games for that Ducks that they had no business being in. He went through a rough stretch with the vertigo, but appeared to be getting his game back after a couple months.

I am extremely high on Gibson and I'm pretty confident that he will become a NHL starter. The guy is just so calm out there and has the ability to carry a team. If I'm the Ducks there is no way I move him unless it's a deal I simply can't refuse.

I'd keep running with Hiller and give Gibson the time he needs to develop. Eventually they could have a Hiller-Gibson tandem, where the hope would be that Gibson eventually takes over the starting role and runs with it.
The ducks have quietly stocked up several goalie prospects. However I agree they won't move either of them. Both of those players are very well liked in their organization, along with players suck as Igor Bobkov and Frederik Andersen(one who broke King Lundqvist's record in SEL) are currently playing in the AHL trying to hone their skills, while Gibson has shown from time after time he's a solid goalie prospect.

Hiller was also showing form after a while from his vertigo issues. They will very likely ride him till one of their goalie prospects take the reigns. If anything the Ducks might be more interested
Quote:
Originally Posted by daethfromabove1979 View Post

mackinnon = hall
drouin = nugent-hopkins

Not really good comparisons. Mackinnon is one of the premier center prospects since Stamkos arguably. RNH can compete with that ofc but I am not going to put that on him after one season.

Drouin I've seen since last year and he's more of a Giroux clone to me. Reason why I said as soon as this season began was due to his over flowing skill on the ice. However out of the two, the one who is mostly sound and can be a game changer is Mackinnon.

As regards to Klatzy's post on us targetting Jenner, I really can see that tbh. If I recall correctly, Jenner was one of Burke's target as well along with one of the goalies was he not in the second round? Or was it he was just interviewed by us quite a bit. I hope it comes true, as he is a home town boy and also plays mostly with Biggs.

I feel like players that we think are locks on our team are going to move more after this deal is done and during the draft day. I hope our prospects like Colborne, Kadri, Frattin and others gives us a solid chance to have more chips on the table to make some sweet deals for players who are backlogged due to depth. Players we should be aiming for should be Brassard after jackets acquiring Anisimov, and Dubinsky. I am not mentioning Johansen as he is their projected first line center for the franchise.

Mikael Backlund, Peter Holland, and so on.

However from this draft I hope we can create some magic and get a top 3 - 5 pick, along a bottom 1st rounded for players such as Nurse, Fucale and so on.

12-07-2012, 07:39 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNorthFace View Post
Don't think they're that comparable to be honest. I don't see a whole lot of Hall in MacKinnon. I see more of RNH in Drouin, but he still wouldn't be the first comparable to come to mind. I'm taking MacKinnon at this point by a fair margin, still love Drouin though.
Feel like I should be a ego maniac and say I told you so. :saracasm:

It will hurt if we see him go to a team like Habs, not gonna lie. It was hard to see them getting Gally, it will be just worse if they get him.

Old
12-07-2012, 07:44 AM
TheNorthFace
Mo and Willy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Feel like I should be a ego maniac and say I told you so. :saracasm:

It will hurt if we see him go to a team like Habs, not gonna lie. It was hard to see them getting Gally, it will be just worse if they get him.
Yeah it's so weird because who knows where any team is going to pick. There might not even be a Draft in June with how the CBA negotiations are going haha.

Hated seeing Gally go to the Habs also, but I'm content right now knowing Rielly is pretty much on par with him as a prospect.

Last edited by TheNorthFace: 12-08-2012 at 12:30 AM.
Old
12-07-2012, 07:49 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Yeah it's so weird because who know where any team is going to pick. There might not even be a Draft in June with how the CBA negotiations are going haha.

Hated seeing Gally go to the Habs also, but I'm content right now knowing Rielly is pretty much on par with him as a prospect.
I think there will be a deal by then but not before they announce the season is cancelled.

Lol I remember swearing the day Galy was announced on the podium by the habs.

I am happy as well Rielly however I still hope he polishes his defensive game. I know it's not bad but it's not as great as it could be. I know he is an offensive defensemen, but his role is to be a defensemen and I hope he makes that his priority.

I am as well curious on what happens if we are able to get our hands on Seth Jones and who becomes expendable from our blue line prospect area.

Old
12-07-2012, 08:10 AM
TheNorthFace
Mo and Willy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
I think there will be a deal by then but not before they announce the season is cancelled.

Lol I remember swearing the day Galy was announced on the podium by the habs.

I am happy as well Rielly however I still hope he polishes his defensive game. I know it's not bad but it's not as great as it could be. I know he is an offensive defensemen, but his role is to be a defensemen and I hope he makes that his priority.

I am as well curious on what happens if we are able to get our hands on Seth Jones and who becomes expendable from our blue line prospect area.
Honestly I'd take any of the 3 center's over Jones for the Leafs. Not because I'm completely opposed to selecting another defenceman, but because I don't think there's much variance in talent between him, Barkov, and Monahan.

There's people here that say he's the best prospect in the Draft, and maybe they'll be right in the end, but I haven't seen it from him yet.

Old
12-07-2012, 08:37 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Honestly I'd take any of the 3 center's over Jones for the Leafs. Not because I'm completely opposed to selecting another defenceman, but because I don't think there's much variance in talent between him, Barkov, and Monahan.

There's people here that say he's the best prospect in the Draft, and maybe they'll be right in the end, but I haven't seen it from him yet.
I think there is a tier created in this draft by three players so far. Jones, Barkov and Mackinnon IMO.

Monahan as great as he is IMO doesn't that IT factor that those three has.

I personally hope Burke can pull some magic and get two top 10 picks in this draft and get a player like Monahan/Lindholm/Drouin with either of three. However from what I have read from this thread recently, many are really wiping off Barkov way to easily. He's supremely talented with my only problem of his being his skating.

Edit: Mentioned Jones twice.

Old
12-07-2012, 08:44 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Also regarding the best prospect in this draft, I don't think it's Jones tbh. I like him, quite a bit and am very impressed by the way he has gotten used to the WHL game but Mackinnon or Barkov gets the nod for me to be prolly the best of the bunch.

However maybe he can surprise and these three become like the Lindros, Neidermayer and Forsberg of the draft.

Old
12-07-2012, 10:18 AM
gabeliscious

Quote:
Originally Posted by weems View Post
Theres no way I would take Monahan over Jones even if Monahan is techinically a better fit.

Jones is just a way better prospect.
hypothetically, if the leafs had 2nd overall and if jones was ranked 2nd and monahan was 5th or 6th would you trade consider trading down or would you rather stay at second and take jones even though we desperately need a proper center prospect?

im conflicted in the sense that we are missing elite high end prospects. so having another elite defensive prospect would not be the worst thing to live with however we are so in need of a proper center prospect that i would almost consider moving down and drafting monahan as long as there was something exciting to motivate us to make the switch.

Old
12-07-2012, 10:27 AM
Badger Mayhew

At #2 if Jones is BPA, you take him no questions asked.

Old
12-07-2012, 10:50 AM
daethfromabove1979

anyone with a top four pick will be lucky.. mackinnon, drouin, jones, barkov could all be a number 1 pick if you ask me

Closed Thread