HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Philadelphia Phillies (MLB): The "Ruf"fled Offseason Thread

Closed Thread

Old
12-06-2012, 09:22 AM
Snotbubbles

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
I'm not really a fan of Young. I'd rather have Youkilis, but he might not come on a 1 year deal since teams are interested in him. I'd be ok with Young if they eat a lot of that salary, and the reliever is Lindblom or something. I think the bigger problem is that if he sucks, Charlie probably won't platoon him no matter how much he winds up sucking because he's a vet.
You don't want to sink multiple years into an injury risk like Youkilis. Sending the Rangers Lindblom and a low level prospect AND having the Rangers eat over half of Young's salary is a good deal. At worst Young sucks and he's gone after the season. At best, he puts up his 2011 numbers and he's gone after the season.

Old
12-06-2012, 09:24 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
A De Fratus (or other reliever) for Young and 8 million dollars is a solid deal imho. Young BP prospects is an area we are actually really strong in and in spite of other opinions here, a declining Young is still a more known commodity that a career-year Fransden. WAR also doesn't access the value of another high character veteran presence with extensive post-season experience.
Not to mention Young can play 2b if Utley has knee issues again. This will allow the Phils to keep Galvis in AAA and work on his bat rather then ride the pine in the bigs.

Old
12-06-2012, 09:38 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
A De Fratus (or other reliever) for Young and 8 million dollars is a solid deal imho. Young BP prospects is an area we are actually really strong in and in spite of other opinions here, a declining Young is still a more known commodity that a career-year Fransden. WAR also doesn't access the value of another high character veteran presence with extensive post-season experience.
Frandsen's career numbers are better than Young's numbers were last year. He's also a better fielder at this point. I'd actually be pissed if the the reliever was De Fratus, unless Young had another year like 2011. I also don't think we need another high character vet with post season experience since that's pretty much our entire team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
You don't want to sink multiple years into an injury risk like Youkilis. Sending the Rangers Lindblom and a low level prospect AND having the Rangers eat over half of Young's salary is a good deal. At worst Young sucks and he's gone after the season. At best, he puts up his 2011 numbers and he's gone after the season.
I agree.I wouldn't want to sign Youkilis for more than one year. I don't know if anyone is interested in him. If they are then he probably wouldn't go for a one year contract.

Quote:
Not to mention Young can play 2b if Utley has knee issues again. This will allow the Phils to keep Galvis in AAA and work on his bat rather then ride the pine in the bigs.
Yes technically he could play 2nd base, but then again technically so could you or me lol. He's honestly probably more of a 1B at this stage of his career.

The only way I like this move is if its a crappy reliever and a no name prospect. Its a salary dump for Texas.

Old
12-06-2012, 09:56 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
I agree.I wouldn't want to sign Youkilis for more than one year. I don't know if anyone is interested in him. If they are then he probably wouldn't go for a one year contract.
Yanks offered Youk 1 year, 12M. Honestly, from reports he has multiple offers, so I think it's safe to assume he'll get multiple years.

Quote:
Yes technically he could play 2nd base, but then again technically so could you or me lol. He's honestly probably more of a 1B at this stage of his career.

The only way I like this move is if its a crappy reliever and a no name prospect. Its a salary dump for Texas.
It a 1 year shot. After the season they have a decision to make on Halladay, Utley is either gone or re-signed at a reduced salary and Young is gone. Cody Asche is waiting in the wings. They just need a stopgap for a year or two.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:16 AM
FLYguy3911

Ender Inciarte is your newest Phillie.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:34 AM
Prongo
Beer

Micheal Young is a Phillie if he accepts the deal. It is all on him right now.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:42 AM
McNasty

Jon Heyman is suggesting the Twins could possibly be interested in a deal involving Revere and Worley, I think that would actually be a pretty good deal for the Phillies depending on what other pieces were included.

Old
12-06-2012, 12:01 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Frandsen's career numbers are better than Young's numbers were last year. He's also a better fielder at this point. I'd actually be pissed if the the reliever was De Fratus, unless Young had another year like 2011. I also don't think we need another high character vet with post season experience since that's pretty much our entire team.
So you are under the supposition that Young's 2012 is the likely starting point for future decline. I just disagree. At 36, he's fully capable of and, imo, likely to put up a season reflective of some middle point between last season's number and 2011 than a further slide from last season's numbers. Basically, I believe Young to be better than 2011 demonstrated and Fransden to be worse. Add to that the intangibles that I like that you dismiss and you have a solid pick-up.

We just disagree about the likely directions for both players for 2012, which is fine.

Old
12-06-2012, 12:08 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
So you are under the supposition that Young's 2012 is the likely starting point for future decline. I just disagree. At 36, he's fully capable of and, imo, likely to put up a season reflective of some middle point between last season's number and 2011 than a further slide from last season's numbers. Basically, I believe Young to be better than 2011 demonstrated and Fransden to be worse. Add to that the intangibles that I like that you dismiss and you have a solid pick-up.

We just disagree about the likely directions for both players for 2012, which is fine.
I like Young also. He can play a few positions and hopefully is a stopgap for our young 3rd baseman of the future. At least the Phils are doing something to improve the club.

Old
12-06-2012, 12:13 PM
Prongo
Beer

http://zozone.mlblogs.com/2012/12/06...cquire-revere/

Quote:
The Phillies will not leave the Winter Meetings empty handed.

Multiple sources confirmed to MLB.com this morning the Phillies have acquired outfielder Ben Revere in a trade with the Minnesota Twins. It is unclear who the Phillies have sent to the Twins as part of the trade, but the Twins have been looking for pitching
Gotta think it's Worley right?

EDIT: Worley is in the deal

Last edited by Prongo: 12-06-2012 at 12:18 PM.
Old
12-06-2012, 12:18 PM
McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
DKnobler ‏@DKnobler
Phillies did get Revere from Twins. Worley is in deal. Don't know yet who else

A previous tweet from Knobler said they wanted Worley and another pitching prospect.

Old
12-06-2012, 12:18 PM
Prongo
Beer

Maybe Cloyd?

Old
12-06-2012, 12:20 PM
McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Maybe Cloyd?
As long as it's not Biddle.

Old
12-06-2012, 12:24 PM
Prongo
Beer

It's Trevor May along with Worley reports Salisbury

Old
12-06-2012, 12:30 PM
Devastate

I don't know much about revere. Someone want to tell me whether this was a good trade?

I really liked Worley.

Old
12-06-2012, 12:43 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devastate View Post
I don't know much about revere. Someone want to tell me whether this was a good trade?

I really liked Worley.
This is a good trade. Revere is a 24 year old player that projects as our leadoff man for the next decade. Huge outfield range, tremendous vision at the plate, doesn't strikeout. His OBP will improve over time and experience.

Honestly, I was down on Worley and May after last season and clearly young pitching is something we have. I could see us now being in on a starting pitcher for next season though.

Old
12-06-2012, 12:46 PM
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier

Send a message via AIM to flyguy
Don't mind trading Worley, I guess Kendrick is getting the 4 slot?

Is Jimmy going to stand for being removed from the leadoff spot?

Also, are we getting Young??

Old
12-06-2012, 12:49 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy View Post
Don't mind trading Worley, I guess Kendrick is getting the 4 slot?

Is Jimmy going to stand for being removed from the leadoff spot?

Also, are we getting Young??
Charlie: "Like Jimmy's my lead off man cause he leads off and he does good and like when he does good like he's gonna play good and like he's gonna lead off for our ball club."

Old
12-06-2012, 12:54 PM
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier

Send a message via AIM to flyguy
Quote:
Charlie: "Like Jimmy's my lead off man cause he leads off and he does good and like when he does good like he's gonna play good and like he's gonna lead off for our ball club."
Jimmy needs to be traded. Especially if we get Young.

Old
12-06-2012, 12:58 PM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devastate View Post

I really liked Worley.
Young Juan Pierre in CF.

Is this a good trade? Depends on how you feel about Worley and May.

Old
12-06-2012, 01:00 PM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
It is what it is.

Old
12-06-2012, 01:02 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Young Juan Pierre in CF.

Is this a good trade? Depends on how you feel about Worley and May.
Juan Pierre is a pretty apt description. Weak Arm, but great range in CF. Makes a ton of contact and rarely strikes out, but could afford to take more walks. Potential 60+ steal speed.

Also worth noting that this is a guy on the right trajectory. He was gotten better every single year in nearly every aspect. Better defense, better plate discipline, etc. Won't hit more the 5-6 homers a season, but has decent gap to gap power for a guy his size.

Old
12-06-2012, 01:03 PM
Devastate

Quote:
Juan Pierre is a pretty apt description. Weak Arm, but great range in CF. Makes a ton of contact and rarely strikes out, but could afford to take more walks. Potential 60+ steal speed.
Does he have any power?

Edit: question answered

Old
12-06-2012, 01:05 PM
Snotbubbles

Wonder if the Phils have any interest in Swisher. Let Brown and Ruf platoon LF and have Mayberry off the bench.

Revere (L)
Rollins (B)
Utley (L)
Howard (L)
Ruiz (R)
Swisher (B)
Ruf (R) /Brown (L)
Young (R)

I actually kind of like that lineup.

Old
12-06-2012, 01:05 PM
Snotbubbles