HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Today I...

Closed Thread

Old
12-03-2012, 01:38 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
Nice! Where did you end up?

Old
12-03-2012, 02:10 PM
TLow97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Nice! Where did you end up?
@ West Side in St. Paul, 9:50PM game (OT makes it real nice for the day after, ha!)

Team we played was in 2nd place, but it appeared to me they were kinda standing around much of the night. Made for a couple decent rushes but too bad my stickhandling sucks...

Old
12-03-2012, 02:17 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Oh I meant AHA, Hockey Finder?

We're getting killed. 1-3-1 so far I think.

Old
12-03-2012, 02:20 PM
TLow97

My bad, AHA.

That's pretty much what our record looks like; we're 1-4-1. Feels like we're getting better but we have a long layoff now (15th is the next game).

Old
12-03-2012, 08:14 PM
SCritical

Today I scored a goal and Mr Critical got a 2 minute penalty for crossing the red line to congratulate me

Fo some reason I thought that goalies could cross the red line if there was a stoppage in play, but apparently not!

Old
12-03-2012, 08:19 PM
Ozz

Tonight I'm a ringer for my friend's team in a couple divisions lower than my usuals. But they're playing the division leader with their own overly-skilled player so I don't feel bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCritical View Post
Today I scored a goal and Mr Critical got a 2 minute penalty for crossing the red line to congratulate me

Fo some reason I thought that goalies could cross the red line if there was a stoppage in play, but apparently not!
That's awesome.

Old
12-04-2012, 10:11 PM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
Tonight I'm a ringer for my friend's team in a couple divisions lower than my usuals. But they're playing the division leader with their own overly-skilled player so I don't feel bad
Lost the above game but put up 4 goals for my guys in a 6-7 loss. They were far less talented all around than the other team (they could play up a division or two, easily). It basically came down to me being able to play 2-way enough to score the goals and shut down nearly everything, but I also had to ride the pine a bit to rest. Seems every time I was off, they made us pay. Poor goalie had no help defensively but they didn't want me to devote to D and sacrifice offense

Tonight my real team played the 1-seed in one of our divisions. We played like total garbage for half the game and managed to only lose by 2. Not bad considering we were down by 4 or 5 for half the game. Once we got going we were on fire but every bad break seemed to go against us plus we couldn't get our heads out of our ***** quickly enough to put them down. We were missing our 2 fastest players too, which is never good especially when the dropoff after them is considerable.

Old
12-05-2012, 12:47 AM
SERE 24
LGR

At the invitation of a guy who I would only call a "hockey buddy" and not a friend (met him playing with my usual group of ex-college/juniors guys) I played with a new group tonight for the first time. Skill level was high, a bit lower than my usual group, but the skate was more intense and just about everyone seemed to be taking it more seriously than our usual group skates.

My normal group has a really high skill level and we even get some ex-Islanders on a semi-regular basis, but we play a pretty leisurely pace with strong positional play and a lot of puck movement and patience. We hit, but we tend to keep anything more than a firm bump and pinning on the boards limited to guys who are regulars and we know are open to the big hits, or guys we know personally who can take it. We get a lot of patient, in zone puck movement and look for back door plays, redirects and pretty plays.

The new group, I was warned before hand, is more physical (I like to hit and the buddy who invited me and I often talk about wanting to throw the weight around or pick up the intensity once in a while, which is actually how the invitation eventually arose), but they also play with a kind of "urgency" which I wasn't really expecting. They don't keep score, but it feels like they're all keeping a mental tally and are playing to win. There's a lot less laughing, smiling and compliments flowing between benches. They skate together pretty regularly, apparently, but there's much less camaraderie.

Anyhow, like I said, the skill level was a bit lower but the intensity and physicality were a lot more. I tried to play pretty gentlemanly and not crush anyone I'd never met before, because I was the new guy and didn't want to be viewed as a jerk or get my buddy heckled for bringing me along. I laid a couple decent hits, had a really big, coincidental collision with a guy who made a really unpredictable cut at center (we both checked with each other to make sure we were good, gave each other a tap and kept playing) and had a couple of nice plays that resulted in goals for my side, but wasn't show boating or trying too hard to stand out (not to be confused with saying I wasn't trying; the skate was good and with the guys playing with such intensity, you had to be on your toes and make smart plays to keep up). The one thing I did do a lot though - and I was definitely aware of it - was that I kept stripping this one kid who was really trying (what seemed to be) as hard as he could, loved to carry the puck and try to beat people one on one (and was successful most of the time against most of the people on the ice) and was one of those guys who kind of makes unnecessarily fancy moves because they can. I get the feeling he's one of the top guys that comes down for them on a regular basis; he definitely had slicker hands than I could ever hope to. Anyhow, he kept trying to beat me one on one and I'm a really strong skater and better defensively than offensively. I kept stripping the puck, lifting his stick, stopping the puck with my skates and a couple of times I planted my feet and stepped into him (not a hit, but playing the body and bumping him off the puck) and I could tell it was frustrating him because he was a bit of a hot dog and obviously was used to having success against most of the guys. I was enjoying the challenge though. He did beat me a few times and I really like playing defense and pride myself on being good at it, so I was enjoying stopping him and kind of made it my goal of the skate to match up on him and play him tight (no tighter than others tried to, or the rest of the game was played in general).

Well, about 75 minutes into the game I went back into my own corner to retrieve a dump in and this dude boarded me harder than I've ever been hit. I mean, we're talking boarding, charging, roughing; the whole shebang. He cleaned my clock. I wear a half shield so I splattered my face into the boards and I cut my chin, bit my lip bad and got a bloody nose. I was pretty dazed as well. I tried to get up quick because I'm one of those guys who never likes to admit to being hurt or draw attention to myself, and I was pretty woozy but I shoved him while I was pawing my face trying to see which pieces were still intact and he actually slashed my ankle, despite me being a bloody mess. A couple of people told him to chill and someone grabbed him around the shoulders and everyone was asking if I was okay but I skated off and got undressed. A couple of the older guys came off to apologize and thank me for playing and stuff. I went to CVS and got gauze and shoved it up my nose and drove home pretty pissed off. Not how I wanted to enjoy my ice time.

And I'm going to go back and skate with them and lay the kid out next week. Clean and hard. He's good, especially his puck skills, but I'm better overall and I played at a higher level than him. I'm going to ring his bell. I'm not going to fight him, slash him, elbow him or even go head hunting. But I'm going to get my pound of flesh because, in every experience I've ever had, I expect open hockey to be, even when it's competitive, something that people who love the game do for fun. This 21 year old punk isn't going to take that away from me, even for one night. And I'm going to enjoy letting him know it.

And that's my rant. Thank god my dad has some vicodin lying around the house because my face HURTS.

Old
12-05-2012, 01:10 AM
Splitbtw
Free Torres!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF24 View Post
At the invitation of a guy who I would only call a "hockey buddy" and not a friend (met him playing with my usual group of ex-college/juniors guys) I played with a new group tonight for the first time. Skill level was high, a bit lower than my usual group, but the skate was more intense and just about everyone seemed to be taking it more seriously than our usual group skates.

My normal group has a really high skill level and we even get some ex-Islanders on a semi-regular basis, but we play a pretty leisurely pace with strong positional play and a lot of puck movement and patience. We hit, but we tend to keep anything more than a firm bump and pinning on the boards limited to guys who are regulars and we know are open to the big hits, or guys we know personally who can take it. We get a lot of patient, in zone puck movement and look for back door plays, redirects and pretty plays.

The new group, I was warned before hand, is more physical (I like to hit and the buddy who invited me and I often talk about wanting to throw the weight around or pick up the intensity once in a while, which is actually how the invitation eventually arose), but they also play with a kind of "urgency" which I wasn't really expecting. They don't keep score, but it feels like they're all keeping a mental tally and are playing to win. There's a lot less laughing, smiling and compliments flowing between benches. They skate together pretty regularly, apparently, but there's much less camaraderie.

Anyhow, like I said, the skill level was a bit lower but the intensity and physicality were a lot more. I tried to play pretty gentlemanly and not crush anyone I'd never met before, because I was the new guy and didn't want to be viewed as a jerk or get my buddy heckled for bringing me along. I laid a couple decent hits, had a really big, coincidental collision with a guy who made a really unpredictable cut at center (we both checked with each other to make sure we were good, gave each other a tap and kept playing) and had a couple of nice plays that resulted in goals for my side, but wasn't show boating or trying too hard to stand out (not to be confused with saying I wasn't trying; the skate was good and with the guys playing with such intensity, you had to be on your toes and make smart plays to keep up). The one thing I did do a lot though - and I was definitely aware of it - was that I kept stripping this one kid who was really trying (what seemed to be) as hard as he could, loved to carry the puck and try to beat people one on one (and was successful most of the time against most of the people on the ice) and was one of those guys who kind of makes unnecessarily fancy moves because they can. I get the feeling he's one of the top guys that comes down for them on a regular basis; he definitely had slicker hands than I could ever hope to. Anyhow, he kept trying to beat me one on one and I'm a really strong skater and better defensively than offensively. I kept stripping the puck, lifting his stick, stopping the puck with my skates and a couple of times I planted my feet and stepped into him (not a hit, but playing the body and bumping him off the puck) and I could tell it was frustrating him because he was a bit of a hot dog and obviously was used to having success against most of the guys. I was enjoying the challenge though. He did beat me a few times and I really like playing defense and pride myself on being good at it, so I was enjoying stopping him and kind of made it my goal of the skate to match up on him and play him tight (no tighter than others tried to, or the rest of the game was played in general).

Well, about 75 minutes into the game I went back into my own corner to retrieve a dump in and this dude boarded me harder than I've ever been hit. I mean, we're talking boarding, charging, roughing; the whole shebang. He cleaned my clock. I wear a half shield so I splattered my face into the boards and I cut my chin, bit my lip bad and got a bloody nose. I was pretty dazed as well. I tried to get up quick because I'm one of those guys who never likes to admit to being hurt or draw attention to myself, and I was pretty woozy but I shoved him while I was pawing my face trying to see which pieces were still intact and he actually slashed my ankle, despite me being a bloody mess. A couple of people told him to chill and someone grabbed him around the shoulders and everyone was asking if I was okay but I skated off and got undressed. A couple of the older guys came off to apologize and thank me for playing and stuff. I went to CVS and got gauze and shoved it up my nose and drove home pretty pissed off. Not how I wanted to enjoy my ice time.

And I'm going to go back and skate with them and lay the kid out next week. Clean and hard. He's good, especially his puck skills, but I'm better overall and I played at a higher level than him. I'm going to ring his bell. I'm not going to fight him, slash him, elbow him or even go head hunting. But I'm going to get my pound of flesh because, in every experience I've ever had, I expect open hockey to be, even when it's competitive, something that people who love the game do for fun. This 21 year old punk isn't going to take that away from me, even for one night. And I'm going to enjoy letting him know it.

And that's my rant. Thank god my dad has some vicodin lying around the house because my face HURTS.
It's amazing how clear of a message this can send someone without using any words.

Old
12-05-2012, 01:16 AM
SCritical

Today I am shaking with anger after an incident in my semi private lesson this morning.

After what I thought was a perfectly nomal lesson from coach, the other girl in the group put up a rant on facebook about what a meanie coach is. She accused him of the following:

a) tapping her on the butt with his stick (I haven't had a coach who doesn't do this, regardless of gender)
b) Calling her by her full name when she makes mistakes
c) Incessantly pointing out said mistakes (in other words, DOING HIS JOB!)

His family got involved - siding with her - and the whole thing escalated, and racial slurs were thrown about (coach is european) it was quite disgusting. it ended with his sister in law complaining to his wife, saying she would make sure he was kept under control.

I'm furious, basically. I don't know why she's paying for lessons if her fragile ego can't handle being corrected. But that's for her to deal with, not do classless things like trash him on social media, giving his in laws, who don't like him, reason to rag on him even more. I think he's a good coach, he's very firm but not unkind and he's had great results in the past. It's just a shame he can't feel free to use his talents as he wants without worrying about some gossipy old women who know nothing about hockey keeping tabs on him

Old
12-05-2012, 01:33 AM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Today I am shaking with anger after an incident in my semi private lesson this morning.

After what I thought was a perfectly nomal lesson from coach, the other girl in the group put up a rant on facebook about what a meanie coach is. She accused him of the following:

a) tapping her on the butt with his stick (I haven't had a coach who doesn't do this, regardless of gender)

His family got involved - siding with her - and the whole thing escalated, and racial slurs were thrown about (coach is european) it was quite disgusting. it ended with his sister in law complaining to his wife, saying she would make sure he was kept under control.

I'm furious, basically. I don't know why she's paying for lessons if her fragile ego can't handle being corrected. But that's for her to deal with, not do classless things like trash him on social media, giving his in laws, who don't like him, reason to rag on him even more. I think he's a good coach, he's very firm but not unkind and he's had great results in the past. It's just a shame he can't feel free to use his talents as he wants without worrying about some gossipy old women who know nothing about hockey keeping tabs on him

Sigh... I understand your anger. The world has become so sensitive, politically correct and, frankly, pathetic. Moreover, social media, for all it's "useful" or at least, convenient and entertaining potential uses, is more like a virus than anything, in my opinion. Sure, these boards themselves are a kind of "social media" but it's different. Anonymous, focused, not personal or petty or a popularity contest. And it's moderated to remain on target and appropriate. Things like facebook, in my opinion are completely self centered, self important, and quite frankly, self defeated (the fact that people have "facebook drama" in their lives is pathetic and frightening). The girl sounds like an ignoramus and a real wimp. The best coaches are not only strict; they're often outright hardasses and they're not their to do you any favors or tell you how special you are but to mold your soft, worthless behind into something significantly better than when they first got their hands on it. Am I exaggerating? Of course, but the point is, the best coaches ARE tough. This girl sounds like a grade A idiot who can't take criticism, is extremely 'sensitive' (oooh, he pat you on the bum with his HOCKEY stick... which is, you know, 4 feet away from his body) and not likely to get a whole lot out of any coaching that isn't more coddling than instructional. I HATE that crap.

Sorry, I'm still furious from my incident earlier tonight as well.

Old
12-05-2012, 02:05 AM
SaintAnton

vCash: 101
Quote:

Hopefully he can just refund her get her out of there. He doesn't need the stress and there's no point in giving time to her if she doesn't want to learn anything better off just working with the rest of the class a bit more.

I'd let him know that you think he's doing all those things well as a coach. He might be under a bit of stress (hard to shrug the **** off sometimes)

Old
12-05-2012, 08:54 AM
Ozz

Quote:

Could be worse...

Old
12-05-2012, 03:23 PM
Splitbtw
Free Torres!

Last night, I subbed for a 3v3 league at a mini rink north of here in SD. After two periods, the team I was on had a 17-6 lead going into the third and both teams had guys that were fairly tired as there were only 8 skaters in total. A guy from the other team asked if they could take the loss and reset the score so it was tied with one period left. Jokingly, I told them the only way we'd do that is if they really brought the effort in the 3rd period.

They ended up picking up one more guy which helped even up the game and they won 24-23. I am really big on effort and trying and that type of attitude will go a lot further for me than some guy that is good and hot dogging it the whole time. It was fantastic to see the other team get a little more pep in their step and you could feel a noticeable difference as everyone was really giving it their all for those last 20 minutes. Great to watch and even better to be apart of even though we lost the 3rd period. Those guys really had, and rightfully so, sense of accomplishment after it was all said and done.

Old
12-05-2012, 05:21 PM
windycity

Quote:
Originally Posted by windycity View Post
had somebody walk off with my brand new Easton EQ50. Hopefully just a mistake and it turns up, otherwise I will be seriously pissed off
got my stick back. Some dumb@ss I play instructional with walked off with it (couldn't really explain why). After our game last night I noticed it in the rack and started pulling it out - he asked "is that your sticK? I thought it didn't feel right". Well maybe it didn't because I'm 3" taller than you, tool and thus my stick is longer. Normally I'd think the guy had tried to steal it but he's so weird, I think he's just a flake. He probably even shoots right (I'm lefty . . .). Anyway, just happy to have it back even if I ended up buying a Mako in the meantime.

Last edited by windycity: 12-06-2012 at 11:01 AM.
Old
12-05-2012, 06:19 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:

Should send her over to West Point Academy, show her what the real world is like.

Old
12-05-2012, 06:21 PM
nullterm

Been playing with this app called Lumosity and it says I'm 22% percentile for thinking speed and reaction time. Which explains alot about my hockey abilities, or lack thereof.

Old
12-06-2012, 09:11 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Last night did single arm kettlebell swings vs double arm. Actually was much more effective in hitting my hamstrings and felt more natural. Not quite as much cardio work surprisingly.

Old
12-06-2012, 09:40 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Last night did single arm kettlebell swings vs double arm. Actually was much more effective in hitting my hamstrings and felt more natural. Not quite as much cardio work surprisingly.
If you are looking for a comparable cardio workout with 1-arm kettlebell swings you will need to drop the weight considerably.

Old
12-06-2012, 12:09 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'd guess the other way around. 40-lb 2-arm swings get me huffing and puffing after a few 20 second sets. The 25-lb one-arm swings aren't quite as taxing.

Kind of wish I had a 30-lb KB though, the 40-lb is just a bit heavy while the 25 is a bit light.

Old
12-06-2012, 12:25 PM
Hooah4

Quote:
I'd guess the other way around. 40-lb 2-arm swings get me huffing and puffing after a few 20 second sets. The 25-lb one-arm swings aren't quite as taxing.

Kind of wish I had a 30-lb KB though, the 40-lb is just a bit heavy while the 25 is a bit light.
I found that if I use the 25 and double the reps it works just fine.
To keep the HR up I only rest 30-60 seconds between sets

Old
12-06-2012, 12:30 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooah4 View Post
I found that if I use the 25 and double the reps it works just fine.
To keep the HR up I only rest 30-60 seconds between sets
Beat me to the punch.

Longer reps and shorter rest.

Old
12-06-2012, 12:41 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'm doing 20 work / 40 rest for 15 minutes. I'll try 30/30 next time.

Do you guys find it helps with your wind on the ice? That's my severe limiting factor. Start breathing hard, start coughing, blood drops from my brain, and I get lightheaded and have to sit.

Really watching my diet and cutting booze too so hopefully that with the workouts and eventually I'll drop the 30 pounds I need.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:11 PM
Frankie Spankie

Today I had Burger King for lunch and then ate a reheated slice of pizza two hours before my game. I think that's enough to say for you to get a pretty good idea about how my game went.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:30 PM
Trl3789

vCash: 219
Wife made me a deal tonight. Lose 20 pounds, shed buy me a stick of my choosing. Lose 40, new skates of my choosing. Hello motivation

Closed Thread