HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

The Official Android Thread Part VIII: A slice of Key Lime Pie

Closed Thread

Old
12-06-2012, 12:25 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

vCash: 69
Is swiftkey flow a custom add on to the swiftkey keyboard?

Old
12-06-2012, 12:32 PM
Disclose

vCash: 1000
i havent even updated to Gingerbread.... the stores dont sell the phone anymore so im affraid to screw it. im just really bad playing with softwares and backing up stuff. (LG optimus One)

the phone works fine. im sure ill see the difference.
i also think i cant upgrade past GB. i dont seem to find anything online, besides that 1st update.

Old
12-06-2012, 12:35 PM
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
Avoid all that. Just use AirDroid.
I owe you a beer.

I don't want to sound dramatic, but your recommendation improved the quality of my life. I was banging my head against the wall with Kies and crap.

Old
12-06-2012, 12:42 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

I will say one advantage to apple is its app store. Way more variety IMO. Either that or people aren't downloading useful apps on google play so I don't see much useful stuff when browsing play store.

But I love the S3 so much more than anything apple's put out. Beautiful display. Great battery. Easily customizable. The apps that are actually available work better than their apple counterparts. Widgets. Really, the S3 and others should've smoked the iPhone out by now and this is from a former apple fanboy.

Old
12-06-2012, 12:45 PM
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
I will say one advantage to apple is its app store. Way more variety IMO. Either that or people aren't downloading useful apps on google play so I don't see much useful stuff when browsing play store.

But I love the S3 so much more than anything apple's put out. Beautiful display. Great battery. Easily customizable. The apps that are actually available work better than their apple counterparts. Widgets. Really, the S3 and others should've smoked the iPhone out by now and this is from a former apple fanboy.
This describes me exactly as well, got mine Wednesday. We have an Apple laptop, iPad, Apple TV, my partner has an iPhone, but I'm still happy with the S3.

Old
12-06-2012, 12:55 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Is swiftkey flow a custom add on to the swiftkey keyboard?
Nope, it's a new version of SwiftKey with built-in swiping functionality. It's in a public beta right now.

It's just pain.
Old
12-06-2012, 02:15 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

As far as apps go I have

Youtube
Facebook
Instagram
Netflix
Plume
Angry Birds+Space+Star Wars
Scorecenter
Swiftkey3
Extended controls
Tetris
Avg antivirus (the scanning takes FOREVER)
Soundhound
Chrome
Flixter
Dominos
Wells fargo
HBO go
Kingston Office
Elite
Astrid Tasks
My Boy!
Fantasy Hockey
Google Drive

When I put them in a list together it feels like I've got a good collection, but I have this nagging feeling that there's more apps I could add that would optimize the smartphone experience. I mean I think I'm pretty set on games (got the essentials+a fully working GBA emulator, I don't think gaming will ever be an issue) but as far as lifestyle apps go I just feel like I'm missing something important. Though I did have this same feeling with the ipod 4.

Old
12-06-2012, 03:12 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

uTorrent. Seriously.

And Rdio, if you can afford the $15 per month. You can download any song ever recorded to your phone. Listen to all new releases without obstruction. It's perfect.

Aldiko for books.

Perfectviewer for comics.

IMDB for movie stuff.

Old
12-06-2012, 05:21 PM
Jori

Send a message via Yahoo to Jori
I'm getting my Nexus 4 tomorrow!

Old
12-06-2012, 11:20 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobias Industries View Post
I owe you a beer.

I don't want to sound dramatic, but your recommendation improved the quality of my life. I was banging my head against the wall with Kies and crap.
Glad to help! (And glad that you weren't ignoring me! )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jori View Post
I'm getting my Nexus 4 tomorrow!
Woot woot!

Old
12-07-2012, 12:55 AM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

Great...so first major issue with my Galaxy S3...my friend keeps trying to send me a picture and my messaging app won't open the picture. It just shows "download" then when I click it, it says downloading forever. I mean...it never goes away.

Tried downloading GOsms as an alternative solution, it won't load the pictures either.

Last edited by DuckJet: 12-07-2012 at 01:03 AM.
Old
12-07-2012, 10:53 AM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Great...so first major issue with my Galaxy S3...my friend keeps trying to send me a picture and my messaging app won't open the picture. It just shows "download" then when I click it, it says downloading forever. I mean...it never goes away.

Tried downloading GOsms as an alternative solution, it won't load the pictures either.
Turn off WiFi and try again.

Old
12-07-2012, 04:23 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

Quote:
Turn off WiFi and try again.
Already tried that. Read somewhere that MMS from Iphones don't work with Galaxy S3's

Old
12-07-2012, 04:52 PM
The Russian General
Força Portugal

They haven't fixed the MMS problems on the Galaxy S yet? It's been three ****ing generations already.

Old
12-07-2012, 05:08 PM
SoulPatch

Quote:
Already tried that. Read somewhere that MMS from Iphones don't work with Galaxy S3's
I thought the same thing when I got my first android phone; until I received pictures from other iphone users, and narrowed the problem down to my friend not having a data plan.

The problem is likely from your friend's end. Either he's trying to send the MMS with an iphone specific msnger app (maybe his phone still thinks you have an iphone so it's already set to use this app. In which case he'd need to change his settings), or he's using wifi only for some reason. Orrrr I could be wrong

Also get rid of the AVG scanner. Unless you've rooted and are not sure if the files you're downloading are legit, you won't need it. Even in that case, you can just use an add-on scanner to see if it's pushing advertisements/doing something you don't want.

Old
12-07-2012, 05:19 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulPatch View Post
I thought the same thing when I got my first android phone; until I received pictures from other iphone users, and narrowed the problem down to my friend not having a data plan.

The problem is likely from your friend's end. Either he's trying to send the MMS with an iphone specific msnger app (maybe his phone still thinks you have an iphone so it's already set to use this app. In which case he'd need to change his settings), or he's using wifi only for some reason. Orrrr I could be wrong

Also get rid of the AVG scanner. Unless you've rooted and are not sure if the files you're downloading are legit, you won't need it. Even in that case, you can just use an add-on scanner to see if it's pushing advertisements/doing something you don't want.
Yeah maybe it's AVG

Old
12-07-2012, 06:39 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Google Skymap if you like looking at stars and planets.

Old
12-07-2012, 08:46 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulPatch View Post

Good point. If the poster is coming from an iPhone, he'll need to disable his iMessage in order to receive texts from other iMessagers on his S3.

I know I've annoyed a couple people who don't have a text-included plan when I switched to Android, as they only use iMessage, and may have cost them a few bucks.

Old
12-08-2012, 10:03 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
There are still smartphone users who don't have texting plans?

Old
12-08-2012, 10:55 AM
Schenn
Dirt Road Scholar

Quote:
As far as apps go I have

Youtube
Facebook
Instagram
Netflix
Plume
Angry Birds+Space+Star Wars
Scorecenter
Swiftkey3
Extended controls
Tetris
Avg antivirus (the scanning takes FOREVER)
Soundhound
Chrome
Flixter
Dominos
Wells fargo
HBO go
Kingston Office
Elite
Astrid Tasks
My Boy!
Fantasy Hockey
Google Drive

When I put them in a list together it feels like I've got a good collection, but I have this nagging feeling that there's more apps I could add that would optimize the smartphone experience. I mean I think I'm pretty set on games (got the essentials+a fully working GBA emulator, I don't think gaming will ever be an issue) but as far as lifestyle apps go I just feel like I'm missing something important. Though I did have this same feeling with the ipod 4.
Juice Defender

12-08-2012, 11:01 AM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Yeah, sadly...

Old
12-08-2012, 12:23 PM
invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Quote:
Yeah, sadly...
That is so ridiculous. If nothing else, wouldn't it work to download an app while on WiFi (if they don't have internet) such as WhatsApp or Kik or something? Heck, even for work, I am on a GroupMe with other managers and we can text independently through it.

Old
12-08-2012, 07:24 PM
Osprey

Quote:
I doubt that there's any more variety. My guess is that Apple's store just does a better job of exposing users to interesting apps. I've never been impressed with Google's Play Store app (or Android Market before it). I just loaded it up, went to the Apps section and most of the recommendations weren't interesting to me. For example, one of the apps advertised was a diaper app--I don't have a baby--and another was for an NBA live wallpaper--I hate basketball. You'd think that Google, of all companies, would learn my tastes and bring apps to my attention which better meet my interests (ex. other apps from developers whose apps I've installed or apps that are similar to ones that I've installed).

In fact, I almost never use the Play Store app to find apps. I go to the Play Store when I already know what I want to install. If you haven't yet, you might try using websites to learn about apps, like the hundreds of "Top Android Apps" lists that you can find with a web search, app directory sites like androidapps.com, appszoom.com and appcurl.com and even just using the play.google.com website, since it's a little easier and quicker to find interesting apps with that than using the Play Store app, itself.

Old
12-10-2012, 12:17 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

Well I figured out what the issue was with the MMS texting, I can't send or receive pictures unless I have 4g turned on. Retarded, but it's an easy fix. I just don't understand why I'm able to send SMS offline but MMS is a separate function as far as messaging goes.

And now I've got a new problem. In the upper right hand corner I get this symbol

And it won't go away and for the life of me I can't figure out why its there. All I did to the phone was turn off debugging mode when in USB mode because AVG suggested I do so. But i doubt the two are related.

EDIT: Never mind. Just an alarmist way for my phone to tell me I don't have reception.

Last edited by DuckJet: 12-10-2012 at 02:20 PM.
Old
12-10-2012, 02:22 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Well I figured out what the issue was with the MMS texting, I can't send or receive pictures unless I have 4g turned on. Retarded, but it's an easy fix. I just don't understand why I'm able to send SMS offline but MMS is a separate function as far as messaging goes.
It's because MMS need to be sent through carrier's servers rather than between two devices.

Quote:
And now I've got a new problem. In the upper right hand corner I get this symbol

And it won't go away and for the life of me I can't figure out why its there. All I did to the phone was turn off debugging mode when in USB mode because AVG suggested I do so. But i doubt the two are related.
Could you take a screenshot of your homescreen so we can see the symbol? (swipe your hand across the entire screen like if you were pushing a ball off the top of your screen)

After a quick Google Search it seems like you MIGHT have turned off notifications. To re-enable it slide your notification pane down scroll all the way to the right side of your quick settings (wifi, gps etc) and select notification.

Closed Thread