HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

The Official Android Thread Part VIII: A slice of Key Lime Pie

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-06-2012, 12:25 PM
  #476
DuckJet
#KESBAE
 
DuckJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Funkytown
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 36,218
vCash: 69
Is swiftkey flow a custom add on to the swiftkey keyboard?

DuckJet is online now  
Old
12-06-2012, 12:32 PM
  #477
Disclose
Registered User
 
Disclose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,171
vCash: 1000
i havent even updated to Gingerbread.... the stores dont sell the phone anymore so im affraid to screw it. im just really bad playing with softwares and backing up stuff. (LG optimus One)

the phone works fine. im sure ill see the difference.
i also think i cant upgrade past GB. i dont seem to find anything online, besides that 1st update.

Disclose is offline  
Old
12-06-2012, 12:35 PM
  #478
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Gobias Industries's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,349
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
Avoid all that. Just use AirDroid.
I owe you a beer.

I don't want to sound dramatic, but your recommendation improved the quality of my life. I was banging my head against the wall with Kies and crap.

Gobias Industries is offline  
Old
12-06-2012, 12:42 PM
  #479
DuckJet
#KESBAE
 
DuckJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Funkytown
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 36,218
vCash: 69
I will say one advantage to apple is its app store. Way more variety IMO. Either that or people aren't downloading useful apps on google play so I don't see much useful stuff when browsing play store.

But I love the S3 so much more than anything apple's put out. Beautiful display. Great battery. Easily customizable. The apps that are actually available work better than their apple counterparts. Widgets. Really, the S3 and others should've smoked the iPhone out by now and this is from a former apple fanboy.

DuckJet is online now  
Old
12-06-2012, 12:45 PM
  #480
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Gobias Industries's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,349
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
I will say one advantage to apple is its app store. Way more variety IMO. Either that or people aren't downloading useful apps on google play so I don't see much useful stuff when browsing play store.

But I love the S3 so much more than anything apple's put out. Beautiful display. Great battery. Easily customizable. The apps that are actually available work better than their apple counterparts. Widgets. Really, the S3 and others should've smoked the iPhone out by now and this is from a former apple fanboy.
This describes me exactly as well, got mine Wednesday. We have an Apple laptop, iPad, Apple TV, my partner has an iPhone, but I'm still happy with the S3.

Gobias Industries is offline  
Old
12-06-2012, 12:55 PM
  #481
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 22,750
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Is swiftkey flow a custom add on to the swiftkey keyboard?
Nope, it's a new version of SwiftKey with built-in swiping functionality. It's in a public beta right now.


__________________

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline  
Old
12-06-2012, 02:15 PM
  #482
DuckJet
#KESBAE
 
DuckJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Funkytown
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 36,218
vCash: 69
As far as apps go I have

Youtube
Facebook
Instagram
Skype
Zedge
Netflix
Plume
Angry Birds+Space+Star Wars
Scorecenter
Swiftkey3
Extended controls
Tetris
Avg antivirus (the scanning takes FOREVER)
Soundhound
Chrome
Flixter
Dominos
Wells fargo
HBO go
Kingston Office
Elite
Astrid Tasks
My Boy!
Fantasy Hockey
Google Drive

When I put them in a list together it feels like I've got a good collection, but I have this nagging feeling that there's more apps I could add that would optimize the smartphone experience. I mean I think I'm pretty set on games (got the essentials+a fully working GBA emulator, I don't think gaming will ever be an issue) but as far as lifestyle apps go I just feel like I'm missing something important. Though I did have this same feeling with the ipod 4.

DuckJet is online now  
Old
12-06-2012, 03:12 PM
  #483
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings
 
Psycho Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sherwood Park
Posts: 10,197
vCash: 500
uTorrent. Seriously.

And Rdio, if you can afford the $15 per month. You can download any song ever recorded to your phone. Listen to all new releases without obstruction. It's perfect.

Aldiko for books.

Perfectviewer for comics.

IMDB for movie stuff.

Psycho Dad is online now  
Old
12-06-2012, 05:21 PM
  #484
Jori
Registered User
 
Jori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Denver, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 20,186
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Jori
I'm getting my Nexus 4 tomorrow!

__________________
Colorado Avalanche Prospects-- News and updates on the future of the Colorado Avalanche!
Colorado's Future -- Team * Manning * Landeskog * Tulowitzki
Jori is offline  
Old
12-06-2012, 11:20 PM
  #485
Sined
The AndroidBugler!
 
Sined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,370
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobias Industries View Post
I owe you a beer.

I don't want to sound dramatic, but your recommendation improved the quality of my life. I was banging my head against the wall with Kies and crap.
Glad to help! (And glad that you weren't ignoring me! )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jori View Post
I'm getting my Nexus 4 tomorrow!
Woot woot!

Sined is online now  
Old
12-07-2012, 12:55 AM
  #486
DuckJet
#KESBAE
 
DuckJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Funkytown
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 36,218
vCash: 69
Great...so first major issue with my Galaxy S3...my friend keeps trying to send me a picture and my messaging app won't open the picture. It just shows "download" then when I click it, it says downloading forever. I mean...it never goes away.

Tried downloading GOsms as an alternative solution, it won't load the pictures either.


Last edited by DuckJet: 12-07-2012 at 01:03 AM.
DuckJet is online now  
Old
12-07-2012, 10:53 AM
  #487
Sined
The AndroidBugler!
 
Sined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,370
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Great...so first major issue with my Galaxy S3...my friend keeps trying to send me a picture and my messaging app won't open the picture. It just shows "download" then when I click it, it says downloading forever. I mean...it never goes away.

Tried downloading GOsms as an alternative solution, it won't load the pictures either.
Turn off WiFi and try again.

Sined is online now  
Old
12-07-2012, 04:23 PM
  #488
DuckJet
#KESBAE
 
DuckJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Funkytown
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 36,218
vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
Turn off WiFi and try again.
Already tried that. Read somewhere that MMS from Iphones don't work with Galaxy S3's

DuckJet is online now  
Old
12-07-2012, 04:52 PM
  #489
The Russian General
Força Portugal
 
The Russian General's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: MTL
Posts: 11,618
vCash: 500
They haven't fixed the MMS problems on the Galaxy S yet? It's been three ****ing generations already.

The Russian General is offline  
Old
12-07-2012, 05:08 PM
  #490
SoulPatch
Registered User
 
SoulPatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Already tried that. Read somewhere that MMS from Iphones don't work with Galaxy S3's
I thought the same thing when I got my first android phone; until I received pictures from other iphone users, and narrowed the problem down to my friend not having a data plan.

The problem is likely from your friend's end. Either he's trying to send the MMS with an iphone specific msnger app (maybe his phone still thinks you have an iphone so it's already set to use this app. In which case he'd need to change his settings), or he's using wifi only for some reason. Orrrr I could be wrong

Also get rid of the AVG scanner. Unless you've rooted and are not sure if the files you're downloading are legit, you won't need it. Even in that case, you can just use an add-on scanner to see if it's pushing advertisements/doing something you don't want.

SoulPatch is offline  
Old
12-07-2012, 05:19 PM
  #491
DuckJet
#KESBAE
 
DuckJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Funkytown
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 36,218
vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulPatch View Post
I thought the same thing when I got my first android phone; until I received pictures from other iphone users, and narrowed the problem down to my friend not having a data plan.

The problem is likely from your friend's end. Either he's trying to send the MMS with an iphone specific msnger app (maybe his phone still thinks you have an iphone so it's already set to use this app. In which case he'd need to change his settings), or he's using wifi only for some reason. Orrrr I could be wrong

Also get rid of the AVG scanner. Unless you've rooted and are not sure if the files you're downloading are legit, you won't need it. Even in that case, you can just use an add-on scanner to see if it's pushing advertisements/doing something you don't want.
Yeah maybe it's AVG

DuckJet is online now  
Old
12-07-2012, 06:39 PM
  #492
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows
 
LickTheEnvelope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 27,692
vCash: 500
Google Skymap if you like looking at stars and planets.

LickTheEnvelope is offline  
Old
12-07-2012, 08:46 PM
  #493
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings
 
Psycho Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sherwood Park
Posts: 10,197
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulPatch View Post
I thought the same thing when I got my first android phone; until I received pictures from other iphone users, and narrowed the problem down to my friend not having a data plan.

The problem is likely from your friend's end. Either he's trying to send the MMS with an iphone specific msnger app (maybe his phone still thinks you have an iphone so it's already set to use this app. In which case he'd need to change his settings), or he's using wifi only for some reason. Orrrr I could be wrong

Also get rid of the AVG scanner. Unless you've rooted and are not sure if the files you're downloading are legit, you won't need it. Even in that case, you can just use an add-on scanner to see if it's pushing advertisements/doing something you don't want.
Good point. If the poster is coming from an iPhone, he'll need to disable his iMessage in order to receive texts from other iMessagers on his S3.

I know I've annoyed a couple people who don't have a text-included plan when I switched to Android, as they only use iMessage, and may have cost them a few bucks.

Psycho Dad is online now  
Old
12-08-2012, 10:03 AM
  #494
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!
 
Le Tricolore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 27,199
vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
There are still smartphone users who don't have texting plans?

Le Tricolore is online now  
Old
12-08-2012, 10:55 AM
  #495
Schenn
Dirt Road Scholar
 
Schenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Huron County
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,310
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
As far as apps go I have

Youtube
Facebook
Instagram
Skype
Zedge
Netflix
Plume
Angry Birds+Space+Star Wars
Scorecenter
Swiftkey3
Extended controls
Tetris
Avg antivirus (the scanning takes FOREVER)
Soundhound
Chrome
Flixter
Dominos
Wells fargo
HBO go
Kingston Office
Elite
Astrid Tasks
My Boy!
Fantasy Hockey
Google Drive

When I put them in a list together it feels like I've got a good collection, but I have this nagging feeling that there's more apps I could add that would optimize the smartphone experience. I mean I think I'm pretty set on games (got the essentials+a fully working GBA emulator, I don't think gaming will ever be an issue) but as far as lifestyle apps go I just feel like I'm missing something important. Though I did have this same feeling with the ipod 4.
Juice Defender

__________________
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82088&dateline=135762  5592
Schenn is offline  
Old
12-08-2012, 11:01 AM
  #496
Sined
The AndroidBugler!
 
Sined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,370
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
There are still smartphone users who don't have texting plans?
Yeah, sadly...

Sined is online now  
Old
12-08-2012, 12:23 PM
  #497
invictus
Registered User
 
invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 14,804
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
There are still smartphone users who don't have texting plans?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
Yeah, sadly...
That is so ridiculous. If nothing else, wouldn't it work to download an app while on WiFi (if they don't have internet) such as WhatsApp or Kik or something? Heck, even for work, I am on a GroupMe with other managers and we can text independently through it.

invictus is offline  
Old
12-08-2012, 07:24 PM
  #498
Osprey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 14,258
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
I will say one advantage to apple is its app store. Way more variety IMO. Either that or people aren't downloading useful apps on google play so I don't see much useful stuff when browsing play store.
I doubt that there's any more variety. My guess is that Apple's store just does a better job of exposing users to interesting apps. I've never been impressed with Google's Play Store app (or Android Market before it). I just loaded it up, went to the Apps section and most of the recommendations weren't interesting to me. For example, one of the apps advertised was a diaper app--I don't have a baby--and another was for an NBA live wallpaper--I hate basketball. You'd think that Google, of all companies, would learn my tastes and bring apps to my attention which better meet my interests (ex. other apps from developers whose apps I've installed or apps that are similar to ones that I've installed).

In fact, I almost never use the Play Store app to find apps. I go to the Play Store when I already know what I want to install. If you haven't yet, you might try using websites to learn about apps, like the hundreds of "Top Android Apps" lists that you can find with a web search, app directory sites like androidapps.com, appszoom.com and appcurl.com and even just using the play.google.com website, since it's a little easier and quicker to find interesting apps with that than using the Play Store app, itself.

Osprey is offline  
Old
12-10-2012, 12:17 PM
  #499
DuckJet
#KESBAE
 
DuckJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Funkytown
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 36,218
vCash: 69
Well I figured out what the issue was with the MMS texting, I can't send or receive pictures unless I have 4g turned on. Retarded, but it's an easy fix. I just don't understand why I'm able to send SMS offline but MMS is a separate function as far as messaging goes.

And now I've got a new problem. In the upper right hand corner I get this symbol



And it won't go away and for the life of me I can't figure out why its there. All I did to the phone was turn off debugging mode when in USB mode because AVG suggested I do so. But i doubt the two are related.

EDIT: Never mind. Just an alarmist way for my phone to tell me I don't have reception.


Last edited by DuckJet: 12-10-2012 at 02:20 PM.
DuckJet is online now  
Old
12-10-2012, 02:22 PM
  #500
Sined
The AndroidBugler!
 
Sined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,370
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Well I figured out what the issue was with the MMS texting, I can't send or receive pictures unless I have 4g turned on. Retarded, but it's an easy fix. I just don't understand why I'm able to send SMS offline but MMS is a separate function as far as messaging goes.
It's because MMS need to be sent through carrier's servers rather than between two devices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
And now I've got a new problem. In the upper right hand corner I get this symbol



And it won't go away and for the life of me I can't figure out why its there. All I did to the phone was turn off debugging mode when in USB mode because AVG suggested I do so. But i doubt the two are related.
Could you take a screenshot of your homescreen so we can see the symbol? (swipe your hand across the entire screen like if you were pushing a ball off the top of your screen)

After a quick Google Search it seems like you MIGHT have turned off notifications. To re-enable it slide your notification pane down scroll all the way to the right side of your quick settings (wifi, gps etc) and select notification.

Sined is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:57 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.