HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 - Canada Roster Discussion (Part III)

Closed Thread

Old
12-05-2012, 02:01 PM
therealdeal

vCash: 500
The biggest thing for Team Canada right now is that it's best players get back on the ice full time. The scouting process should have started 80 days ago when the lockout began, but if we can still get at least 40 games in, then we'll have a better chance than in Turin.

It's basically 12 months and a couple weeks until the team is selected (assuming it's part of the new CBA). There are going to be a lot of guys fall off the radar that were assumed to have good shots, and a lot of guys climb up that we never really saw coming. I'm gonna save making anymore rosters until probably September or October.

Another thing to consider will be this years World Championships. Guys will be eager to get more games in, and will be eager to let Hockey Canada watch them play more. Hopefully we send good coaches that can be advisers for the Sochi group.

I would agree with the poster above me though that Hall is an interesting candidate. Natural winger, speed up the waazoo. The question is whether or not he'll stay healthy, and I seriously hope he does.

Old
12-05-2012, 05:20 PM
ed bruin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
There's still time. Hall isn't getting much love in this thread but I think they'll take a long look at him. Hall would be dynamite on international ice and Eberle have undeniable chemistry. It's nice to have a few pure wingers as well. It will be interesting to say the least. Personally I think Hall has a better chance to make the 2014 squad then RNH, just because we have so many good centers and he's 2 years younger.
yeah Hall deserves more mention especially if people are projecting Skinner to play....

I agree that Hall has a better chance at making the team because of the great depth at center Canada has and as we have seen in the past Canada usually like to have a defensive minded center like Bergeron or Draper even Pecca. Also seeing Hall's speed on open ice would be such a treat

Old
12-05-2012, 09:25 PM
newtown33

The biggest weakness is Left defensemen...beside Keith, who's gonna play the left side? So many good right handed defensemen, but it's hard to switch so I'm not sure if HC will take this route

Keith - Weber
- Pietrangelo
- Doughty
- Letang
- Seabrook

maybe Phaneuf...don't know

Old
12-05-2012, 09:34 PM
newtown33

Here is how I see the offense, I actually think that the centers are lock.

Nash - Crosby - Tavares
Staal - Stampkos - Giroux
??? - Toews - Perry
M. Richards - Bergeron - ???

Hall might make it, Eberle too. Maybe Seguin.

Old
12-05-2012, 10:09 PM
Joey Moss

I don't think Nash will be on the team, honestly. In two years he will probably still be a 60-70 point player. There will be better options at LW. Suprise to see him in the top 6 on some people's teams.

Old
12-06-2012, 12:37 AM
Pekka Rinne

Nash-Crosby-Tavares
Giroux-Stamkos-Perry
Hall-Toews-Eberle
M. Richards-Bergeron-Spezza/Staal
Getzlaf

Weber-Doughty
Pietrangelo-Letang
Keith-Seabrook
Staal

Price
Ward/Luongo

Old
12-06-2012, 12:43 AM
Wandering Cynic

Perry-Crosby-Tavares
Stamkos-Giroux-St.Louis
Nash-Toews-Eberle
E.Staal-J.Staal-Iginla
Bergeron

Keith-Weber
Doughty-Pietrangelo
Hamhuis-Letang
Myers

Price
Luongo
Fleury

Old
12-06-2012, 12:50 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Nash-Crosby-Perry
Tavares-Stamkos-Giroux
Toews-M.Richards-Seguin
Hall-RNH-Eberle
Iginla

Letang-Weber
Keith-Doughty
Campbell-Pietrangelo
Seabrook

Luongo
Price
Holtby

12-06-2012, 02:17 AM
Calirose

uhmmm

Jamie Benn will be on this team. So will Spezza.

Old
12-06-2012, 02:25 AM
jgoud*

Luongo won't be there and i don't think the staals will either

Nash-Crosby-Giroux
Tavares-Stamkos-Perry
Toews-M.Richards/Seguin-Iginla
Benn/Hall-RNH-Eberle
Spezza

Letang-Weber
Keith-Seabrook
Doughty-Pietrangelo
Hamhuis

Price
Ward
Smith (Maybe)

Old
12-06-2012, 02:34 AM
theicebox
#MonixWatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
I just think Weber garners more respect from all of the other players. Sid not so much...Sid is somewhat of a polarizing figure. And I'd prefer for Sid just to concentrate on playing and not leading so much...He's is one of the guys counted on to be a leader, but the real leaders in my mind are Weber and Captain Serious Towes. Towes has been unreal ever since the 2007 WJC.... I mean what kind of mad squabbles you got to have to do what he done in the shoot-out semi-final. I'm probably more of a Towes guy than a Sid guy. I confess.
Let's cut the ****, we all know why Crosby is polarizing. He would be no matter what team he played for. That is a ridiculous argument. Because Toews is not as strong of a player as Crosby, that inherently makes him a better leader? Please name one thing that Toews did better in his captaincy towards the Hawks' cup, than Crosby did in his captaincy toward the Penguins'. What? They were both good captains? I am sick of this garbage. I would defend my team's captain, whether it was Crosby or not, it just seems rather transparent when people have this built-up, unfounded, misguided hatred for someone who happens to be the best player in the world (when not concussed... actually, that goes for both of them), and not on their own team.

Old
12-06-2012, 02:45 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theicebox View Post
Let's cut the ****, we all know why Crosby is polarizing. He would be no matter what team he played for. That is a ridiculous argument. Because Toews is not as strong of a player as Crosby, that inherently makes him a better leader? Please name one thing that Toews did better in his captaincy towards the Hawks' cup, than Crosby did in his captaincy toward the Penguins'. What? They were both good captains? I am sick of this garbage. I would defend my team's captain, whether it was Crosby or not, it just seems rather transparent when people have this built-up, unfounded, misguided hatred for someone who happens to be the best player in the world (when not concussed... actually, that goes for both of them), and not on their own team.
Dude, back up..a little hyper sensitive are we?. I'm a Sid fan, not a hater... I just happen to believe Towes or Weber would be better choices for Team Canada C. Heaven forbid somebody have a different little take on things that deviates just an inch from what you perceive as divine gospel.

Old
12-06-2012, 03:55 AM
jgoud*

Quote:
Originally Posted by theicebox View Post
And just because you're the best player on the team doesn't mean you'd be better suited as captain. I'd say it's between Crosby and Toews, and that Toews is the better leader. Crosby will likely get it though

Old
12-06-2012, 12:53 PM
therealdeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calirose View Post
uhmmm

Jamie Benn will be on this team. So will Spezza.
Spezza for sure will not be. I feel a bit bad for the guy, but he just never delivers for Hockey Canada, and they've stopped even considering him. He never played well in the World Juniors, and he's never played well in the World Championships. He's kind of a soft, play making center. He's not very good defensively, and the biggest memory of him playing for Canada for me is being at fault for a short handed goal against in the Quarter final game to Russia.

I would be crazy shocked if Spezza makes the team.

Old
12-06-2012, 04:01 PM
ALine

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealdeal View Post
Spezza for sure will not be. I feel a bit bad for the guy, but he just never delivers for Hockey Canada, and they've stopped even considering him. He never played well in the World Juniors, and he's never played well in the World Championships. He's kind of a soft, play making center. He's not very good defensively, and the biggest memory of him playing for Canada for me is being at fault for a short handed goal against in the Quarter final game to Russia.

I agree with this. And it is a shame. Spezza is legit one of my favourite players (you won't here that out of a leaf fan too often ) I think with the right linemate, he could have a reall good tournament. Like a big body guy in Staal and a sniper in Stamkos, would be a very effective offensive line. but to have Spezza, a guy like Giroux or Richards would be left off, guys with grit, whereas Spezza has none. On an Olympic squad, he would have the type of linemates that the WHC could never provide for him. Not to say he's had noone, but not the level of elite Canadian talent of the Olympics, or his NHL teammate of a few years ago. Hope he atleast gets a camp invite.

Old
12-06-2012, 04:27 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehar View Post
Eric Staal Crosby Stamkos

Perry Getzlaf Skinner

Nash Tavares Giroux

Sharp Toews Mike Richards

T. Seguin
Not bad. A lot can change in a year and a bit of course. I am just not a huge Nash fan. Never have been. Yeah he's on a terrible team in Columbus but there has been no progression whatsoever and he is rapidly turning into a career guy who is a good player on a rotten team. I've just never gotten the feeling that I am seeing a future HHOFer had he been on another team. I wasn't overly thrilled with him in Junior either.

I like the lineup. If Hall can stop tripping over his own two feet I think he's in there as well. I would have a hard time leaving Eberle off this team though. We know the guy is a big game player and all and if all works out well there is a potential for an Oilers line at the Olympics. You never know. I personally love Nugent-Hopkins. I just wonder if he is at that level yet. Getzlaf we know CAN play at this level, but he has to show it. Jordan Staal as a checker isn't a bad pick either.

Goal:
Luongo
Ward
Fleury

I don't know, it's just a hunch. When Fleury is "on" he is lights out. The only thing is he can be brutal at times too. A little of Mike Vernon in him. Luongo will still be an elite goalie then in my opinion and Ward is a goalie that you know won't screw it up. It's funny, because 10 years ago Canada had pretty much all of the goaltending talent at their disposal (or at least the lion's share).

Old
12-06-2012, 04:27 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtown33 View Post
The biggest weakness is Left defensemen...beside Keith, who's gonna play the left side? So many good right handed defensemen, but it's hard to switch so I'm not sure if HC will take this route

Keith - Weber
- Pietrangelo
- Doughty
- Letang
- Seabrook

Marc Staal.

You could see Doughty or Letang play off side.

Old
12-06-2012, 04:30 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
In the history of Canadian hockey, have our forwards EVER been this talented and deep? Ever???
Absolutely. Check out the lineup for the 1976 Canada Cup. Rene Robert was cut from that team if you can believe it. Jean Ratelle wasn't asked. Lemaire wasn't asked either.

But yeah it is a pretty talented forward corps, although I personally don't think it's any better than 2010.

Old
12-06-2012, 05:02 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoud View Post
Luongo won't be there and i don't think the staals will either

Nash-Crosby-Giroux
Tavares-Stamkos-Perry
Toews-M.Richards/Seguin-Iginla
Benn/Hall-RNH-Eberle
Spezza

Letang-Weber
Keith-Seabrook
Doughty-Pietrangelo
Hamhuis

Price
Ward
Smith (Maybe)
I don't think the Staals will either, but Luongo will certainly be there and he'll be the estarter.

Old
12-06-2012, 05:11 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealdeal View Post

It's next to impossible to make a best on best Team Canada if you haven't done it by your late 20s. He also lacks the versatility that typical Team Canada centers have.

Old
12-06-2012, 05:49 PM
Danglesaur
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
I don't think the Staals will either, but Luongo will certainly be there and he'll be the estarter.
Luongo? He has to have a stellar year in order to gain the #1 job.

IMO - Mike Smith has made a huge jump this past year and is going into his prime.

I Think J.Staal is one of the top offensive/defensive centers in the game, he should definitely be considered for the 3rd or 4th Line role.

Old
12-06-2012, 06:03 PM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtown33 View Post

Keith - Weber
- Pietrangelo
- Doughty
- Letang
- Seabrook

Staal?

Old
12-06-2012, 06:04 PM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Luongo's not starting over Price, and shouldn't even be on the team.

Old
12-06-2012, 06:06 PM
Hammer Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerMaker66 View Post
Staal?
If you want a left-side defensive defenceman, Dan Hamhuis is also a good choice. IMO best Canucks defenceman right now.

Old
12-06-2012, 06:07 PM
ALine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danglesaur View Post
Luongo? He has to have a stellar year in order to gain the #1 job.

IMO - Mike Smith has made a huge jump this past year and is going into his prime.

I Think J.Staal is one of the top offensive/defensive centers in the game, he should definitely be considered for the 3rd or 4th Line role.
I disagree on Smith. Dudes 30 and has one solid year under his belt. Much more likey is they go with Luongo and Fleury and a fresh face like ward or price. Theses guys have shown willingness to play in the WHC, something hockey Hockey Canada seems to value as well. Didn't Yzerman waive Smith a bunch of time when he was with Tampa?

Closed Thread