HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

WJC Tournament Predictions

Old
12-06-2012, 04:00 AM
Nash

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
I said it was a bold prediction. and no doubt it will be an upset. We'll see what happens.
Only one team from each pool gets a bye to the semis. This is the last year before true QF games return next year. Only one of Canada or Russia will win the pool and the other is potentially exposed in a QF game. Czechs almost beat Russia last year. All 3 top teams in the other pool are capable of an upset. These things happen in a single game elimination. Your prediction isn't as far fetched as some might think.

I may not agree with it, but it is definitely within the realm of possibility.

Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 04:16 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
Only one team from each pool gets a bye to the semis. This is the last year before true QF games return next year. Only one of Canada or Russia will win the pool and the other is potentially exposed in a QF game. Czechs almost beat Russia last year. All 3 top teams in the other pool are capable of an upset. These things happen in a single game elimination. Your prediction isn't as far fetched as some might think.

I may not agree with it, but it is definitely within the realm of possibility.
I have both Finland and Canada winning their groups and earning the bye into the SF ... Sweden v Russia QF #1 and Czech Rep v USA in QF # 2

of course all predicated on the lockout persisting for a few more weeks or NHL teams leaving the jr. team untouched.. but of course things may change once final rosters are set.

Mr Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 04:34 AM
ficohok*
Mrzim Kanadu !

Gold - Russia
Silver - Finland
Bronze - Sweden

Most points : Yakupov
Most goals : Frk
Most assists : Galchenyuk

ficohok* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 04:49 AM
Nash

Quote:
I have both Finland and Canada winning their groups and earning the bye into the SF ... Sweden v Russia QF #1 and Czech Rep v USA in QF # 2

of course all predicated on the lockout persisting for a few more weeks or NHL teams leaving the jr. team untouched.. but of course things may change once final rosters are set.
So not only are you predicting that Russia loses their QF game, but that they will also end up third in their pool? That is a doubly bold prediction.

9 returning players, 2 returning goalies, first overall pick, size, strength, skill, international & home ice, etc...I just don't see it happening. This would be beyond a monumental collapse.

Almost half this group played last year, then played four games against Canada in the summer, and then played 6 games together in the Subway Super Series. I don't think there is any Canadian or Russian squad in the WJC history that has ever played as many significant games together prior to a tournament. There really shouldn't be a slow chemistry forming aspect to either squad. One hiccup in the tournament is hard to fathom, let alone two.

Old
12-06-2012, 04:52 AM
Huffman

Quote:
I'm surprised to hear someone say this is the deepest group of forwards you've had in a while. Of the 14 camp invitees, half are undrafted. There are only two first rounders (not high ones either), even though some undrafted will go first round in 2013. In a tournament generally dominated by 19 year olds, I see this as a weakness up front for Sweden.

Sweden has had strong teams the past few years, so the record supports that. I'm not too sure they will keep it up this go around, but should have a strong roster in 2014 with the potential of so many returning players.

I wouldn't worry too much about USA as chances are you might not even play 1 or 2 of Canada, Russia or USA this year due to being in a different pool.
The coach also in his press conference said this forward group is more skilled than before. Many of the bigger names are virtually unknown in NA, like Friberg was last year. Viktor Arvidsson might just be the most dangerous forward on this team, especially on big ice, undrafted because of his size. Görtz is having a better season than 2/3 of our top line had last year, he is expected to play on the third line. The two top centers (Karlsson and Lindholm) are as good, or better, than our top center (Larsson) last year. The third line center is returning to that position this year. Forsberg and Collberg were good last year, they are both having way better seasons this year. Wennberg is having a breakthrough season and is the second highest scorer on this team. The average age is 18.52 years, thats exactly how old our team was last year and it's not that young really.

The strength of our forward group is the strength of this team. The D strength is okay, similar to last year, perhaps missing a really good defensive D. There are also questions regarding who will be the leader on this team. The goalies are also decent but there is no clear starting goalie like in the last few years.

The lack of Zibanejad does not hurt this team that much, there is already a lot of firepower. Losing Klefbom and Brodin is a lot worse but we always have our best guys out. Last year it was Landeskog and Larsson. The year before it was Paajarvi, OEL, Josefson. Hedman and Erik Karlsson the year before that. All of these teams have still been very competitive and beaten the best.

Last edited by Huffman: 12-06-2012 at 04:58 AM.
Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 05:26 AM
Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry2perry View Post
The coach also in his press conference said this forward group is more skilled than before. Many of the bigger names are virtually unknown in NA, like Friberg was last year. Viktor Arvidsson might just be the most dangerous forward on this team, especially on big ice, undrafted because of his size. Görtz is having a better season than 2/3 of our top line had last year, he is expected to play on the third line. The two top centers (Karlsson and Lindholm) are as good, or better, than our top center (Larsson) last year. The third line center is returning to that position this year. Forsberg and Collberg were good last year, they are both having way better seasons this year. Wennberg is having a breakthrough season and is the second highest scorer on this team. The average age is 18.52 years, thats exactly how old our team was last year and it's not that young really.

The strength of our forward group is the strength of this team. The D strength is okay, similar to last year, perhaps missing a really good defensive D. There are also questions regarding who will be the leader on this team. The goalies are also decent but there is no clear starting goalie like in the last few years.

The lack of Zibanejad does not hurt this team that much, there is already a lot of firepower. Losing Klefbom and Brodin is a lot worse but we always have our best guys out. Last year it was Landeskog and Larsson. The year before it was Paajarvi, OEL, Josefson. Hedman and Erik Karlsson the year before that. All of these teams have still been very competitive and beaten the best.
Sweden is probably a more heavily scouted nation than any other country outside North America. I would guess that they likely provide the third highest number of draftees per nation now after Canada and USA. If there is as much undrafted or poorly evaluated draft picks as you suggest, teams like Detroit and Vancouver might want to reevaluate their Swedish scouts

Maybe you have an outstanding crop of late bloomers and the NHL scouts have got it wrong the past couple of drafts, but it seems a tad far fetched. It's not like Sweden is similar to Russia in that the players want to stay and develop with their club teams and get paid lucratively in the KHL. There shouldn't be many mystery players showing up on the international radar from Sweden.

Also, I don't know how serious I can take comments from Ronnberg. He says a lot of stupid things in the media.

I do hope you are right though and that Sweden has a really strong group of forwards. It will make the tournament all that much better to have as many great teams as possible.

Old
12-06-2012, 05:45 AM
zorz

medals:

1) CAN
2) SWE
3) CZE

zorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 05:54 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
So not only are you predicting that Russia loses their QF game, but that they will also end up third in their pool? That is a doubly bold prediction.

9 returning players, 2 returning goalies, first overall pick, size, strength, skill, international & home ice, etc...I just don't see it happening. This would be beyond a monumental collapse.

Almost half this group played last year, then played four games against Canada in the summer, and then played 6 games together in the Subway Super Series. I don't think there is any Canadian or Russian squad in the WJC history that has ever played as many significant games together prior to a tournament. There really shouldn't be a slow chemistry forming aspect to either squad. One hiccup in the tournament is hard to fathom, let alone two.
Hey, be bold or go home. If I am wrong, then I'm wrong. but I see certain things in that team which I don't like.... Of course it could all go the other way...Canada could crash and burn...14 years in a row with a medal..sooner or later we are bound to have a stinker, right? That's just the way the hockey gods operate.

Mr Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 06:03 AM
Nash

Quote:
Hey, be bold or go home. If I am wrong, then I'm wrong. but I see certain things in that team which I don't like.... Of course it could all go the other way...Canada could crash and burn...14 years in a row with a medal..sooner or later we are bound to have a stinker, right? That's just the way the hockey gods operate.
Agreed. I'm curious what flaws or potential flaws you see. Mine would be:
1. No game breakers like Kuznetsov and Tarasenko
2. Naumenkov injury
3. Home tournament pressure
4. Poor coaching

Any team can lose a game and if its the QF, goodbye medal round.

Old
12-06-2012, 07:43 AM
Loffer

Canada
Finland
Russia

Loffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 07:59 AM
Hockeysemin

1. Russia
2. USA
3. Sweden
4. Finland

Hockeysemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 08:14 AM
Reikai
Neutral fan

In my opinion Finland has the best team i've ever seen so im going to say that they make it to the finals.

Canada and Russia are always strong but i think Sweden will only snatch bronze at best.

Reikai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 08:15 AM
tourlord*

1. Canada
2. Sweden
3. Russia
4. Czech

tourlord* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 08:19 AM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
After 3 years, its times to return to the top of the podium.

Rielly MVP

Pyrophorus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 08:41 AM
tourlord*

heres my real predictions

1.Canada
2.Sweden
3.USA vs Russia for Bronze = USA

tourlord* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 10:31 AM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Agreed. I'm curious what flaws or potential flaws you see. Mine would be:
1. No game breakers like Kuznetsov and Tarasenko
2. Naumenkov injury
3. Home tournament pressure
4. Poor coaching

Any team can lose a game and if its the QF, goodbye medal round.
I would say:

1. More offensive weapons in total than last year (too many underagers last year). Yakupov, Grigorenko, Kucherov, Khokhlochev, Shalunov, Slepyshev and Nichushkin being the 'sharp ends'. But really, anyone on the team is capable of scoring.
2. Deepest defensive core in many years for Russia, with 3 regular KHLers getting GOOD ice time, and other sizeable D 6'5 and 6'6 guys with a shot
3. Home tournament support, for once. It could go either way though, I agree
4. Actually good defensive coaching. Varnakov built the best defensive team in years. Unlike Bragin, they don't get simply out shot and there is no fire at all in the back.
5. Should be stellar goaltending.
6. This is a very senior team, experience-wise as most are KHL regulars.

Having said that, an upset or meltdown is possible with anyone.

Fulcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 11:17 AM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroHabitant View Post
Gold - Russia
Silver - Finland
Bronze - Sweden

Most points : Yakupov
Most goals : Frk
Most assists : Galchenyuk
Great, now I have coffee on my keyboard

Leo Trollmarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 12:34 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

I love seeing these rankings...

Everytime the US gets dismissed, they end up winning!

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 12:38 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post

So they've only been dismissed twice??

Old
12-06-2012, 01:13 PM
wings5

Quote:

USA for Gold ! Canada in relegation round.

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 01:21 PM
Nash

Quote:

Don't be an American dreamer

But seriously, this should be a tough year for USA to medal. They aren't as deep as they were in the mid 00's. Russia and Canada are stacked, lockout or not. Both those squads have played several games together this past year. Having all 3 teams in the same pool probably means one of the 3 isn't even going to medal or even see a medal game. It has only happened once in 17 years.

Old
12-06-2012, 01:34 PM
wings5

Quote:
Don't be an American dreamer

But seriously, this should be a tough year for USA to medal. They aren't as deep as they were in the mid 00's. Russia and Canada are stacked, lockout or not. Both those squads have played several games together this past year. Having all 3 teams in the same pool probably means one of the 3 isn't even going to medal or even see a medal game. It has only happened once in 17 years.
Honestly if Gibson goes then you never know, sometimes all it takes is a stellar goalie performance. Gibson scares me more than any other goalie in the tournament and they have elite players like Jones and Trouba on D and Galcheyuk, Grimaldi and Gaudreau up front. Not a team to be taken lightly.

Old
12-06-2012, 01:38 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
Honestly if Gibson goes then you never know, sometimes all it takes is a stellar goalie performance. Gibson scares me more than any other goalie in the tournament and they have elite players like Jones and Trouba on D and Galcheyuk, Grimaldi and Gaudreau up front. Not a team to be taken lightly.
Few people are taking USA lightly. It's just that, on paper, other teams have the same elite players- just more of them.

Old
12-06-2012, 01:53 PM
wings5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
Few people are taking USA lightly. It's just that, on paper, other teams have the same elite players- just more of them.
Yes but I feel this team very much resembles the team that won Gold in 2010 except a more elite goaltender and a truly exceptional defenceman. I don't know if there is as good a defenceman and Goalie in the tournament. Plus Galchenyuk has been on fire recently and is on a level with players like Yakupov and Huberdeau.

Old
12-06-2012, 01:53 PM
Pajicz

Send a message via Yahoo to Pajicz
Group A:

Sweden
Finland
Czech Republic

Switzerland
Latvia