HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 5)

Closed Thread

Old
12-05-2012, 04:51 PM
hockeylegend11

vCash: 500
Well there were no yellow jersey
[no contact] players at the Spitfire practice today as M.Clarke and J.Maletta took part in all drills,
Whisper on the street is that Gm Rychel is trying to deal Bateman and Maletta,without success as his asking price is said to unreasonable or so I have been told
It should be noted that these 2 players have been on the block before,or maybe not taken off ,speculation on my part
One could hope that Seiloff could convince his buddy Riley Barber to play here as they will be trying out together with Team USA
Barber is off to a great start at Bowling Green in his college career

Old
12-05-2012, 04:55 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
If he doesn't, there's something wrong.

Legend, it's a slow news day, haha. Btwn the teddy bear debate on NOOF and now this, we need a deal or brawl to get the place going again.
OHLTG

My money would be a brawl happens 1st against SSM as perhaps they will try to impress their new coach Sheldon Keefe,and the Spits will want to excite their home fans,as their home ice efforts the past 3 games have been less then spectacular

Old
12-05-2012, 05:51 PM
Keystone Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Barber is off to a great start at Bowling Green in his college career
Just a quick FYI, Barber is at Miami of Ohio. He and Austin Czarnick are Miami Ohio's Mr. Everything I & II. They are one-two in team scoring, run the power play, and are the first and most effective penalty killing unit. Needless to say, they would benefit the Spits in a big way!

Old
12-05-2012, 09:05 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keystone Light View Post
Just a quick FYI, Barber is at Miami of Ohio. He and Austin Czarnick are Miami Ohio's Mr. Everything I & II. They are one-two in team scoring, run the power play, and are the first and most effective penalty killing unit. Needless to say, they would benefit the Spits in a big way!
Czarnik being a 92 born would be ineligible while Barber a 94 born would be a real solid addition

Old
12-05-2012, 11:04 PM
Keystone Light

Quote:
Czarnik being a 92 born would be ineligible while Barber a 94 born would be a real solid addition
Being that this is all hypothetical, Czarnik would have reported to Windsor last year (in my world).

Czarnik would have been an outstanding overager, and since he is undrafted, would have been a likely candidate (again, speaking in the hypothetical that he reported last year). Clark is a fun kid to watch, but...

Old
12-06-2012, 08:58 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
I get what u mean re Seiloff leaving and replacing his minutes though I dont think a defenceman is forthcoming,if anything a forward or 2 to help with the scoring
It may be lucky for Windsor that the teams above or even in the standings will be missing key players as well,Plymouth Noesen,Hartman and Rackell,Sarnia,Galchenyuk and Murphy,SSM,Sproul,Saginaw,Vince Trocheck,time will tell
Then after Xmas Windsor loses HoSang who is one of the few forwards producing
The last time the Spits relied on 16 year olds is when Hall and Ellis left for the -17 back 5 years ago
I don't think Sproul will make Team Canada, there's a lot of talent ahead of him. If an NHL agreement is reached then that changes things. I don't think Hartman makes USA and Wilson won't make Canada. USA seems to have their shutdown guys in place Hartman will be in tough. I don't think Wilson's game transfers well to the big ice in Ufa. I am fine with Windsor acquiring forwards, defense or anything that will help this team. I didn't shed any tears when Devlin and Schoenmakers were dealt and I won't when more players are moved.

Old
12-06-2012, 09:22 AM
izzys

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
I don't think Sproul will make Team Canada, there's a lot of talent ahead of him. If an NHL agreement is reached then that changes things. I don't think Hartman makes USA and Wilson won't make Canada. USA seems to have their shutdown guys in place Hartman will be in tough. I don't think Wilson's game transfers well to the big ice in Ufa. I am fine with Windsor acquiring forwards, defense or anything that will help this team. I didn't shed any tears when Devlin and Schoenmakers were dealt and I won't when more players are moved.
100% agree with this ....

we need a upgrade at every position

i wouldnt even be to mad if we sent dekort packing

Old
12-06-2012, 10:22 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzys View Post
100% agree with this ....

we need a upgrade at every position

i wouldnt even be to mad if we sent dekort packing
I feel bad for DeKort he's not playing as much as he should. He gets the short end of the stick usually by having to play the 2nd game in back to backs or 3rd game in 4 nights when the team is fatigued. I wonder if DeKort would be playing more if they had their 2013 1st round pick? Seems like trying to squeak out an extra win here or there so the pick they sacrifice isn't that bad. You look at a team like London who's contending they still have started Patterson 12 games he will probably end up with 20-25 starts. Development for the goalie of the future is being sacrificed for a couple more wins which is disappointing.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:10 AM
Spitsfan67*

I think it will be a back and forth chippy game tonight. Think will see a scrap or two in the first period, Gotta think the Soo is going to come out with a fire under em trying to please there new coach. I think if the game gets out of hand either way you will see a really chippy third...im going to say 6-4 Spitfires.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:12 AM
youngblood10

Quote:
I feel bad for DeKort he's not playing as much as he should. He gets the short end of the stick usually by having to play the 2nd game in back to backs or 3rd game in 4 nights when the team is fatigued. I wonder if DeKort would be playing more if they had their 2013 1st round pick? Seems like trying to squeak out an extra win here or there so the pick they sacrifice isn't that bad. You look at a team like London who's contending they still have started Patterson 12 games he will probably end up with 20-25 starts. Development for the goalie of the future is being sacrificed for a couple more wins which is disappointing.
I don't know if he isn't playing enough. He's getting the starts that a backup goalie would get. In my experiences watching this league a goalie doesn't usually take over full time until they are 19, 18. (The odd phenom comes in right away but generally speaking.) I think Dekort has great potential but he isn't ready yet for prime time. With the London example if they had a veteran goalie they had faith in Patterson wouldn't be getting those starts. And once they trade for one he might not get another start knowing the Hunters. If Dekort was in London when the shootout starts he's be back on the bench. That's what they do and have done this year, they play to win at all times and are not worried about hurt feelings.

Edit: Just to add on I know your not saying he should start every game, my point is he's filling the backup role and doing a great job in how he's being used.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:20 AM
Ottomatic

There is not a trade to be made that will give up any significant improvement. Only one player can save us now...

Alexander Khokhlachev.

If he comes back, we get the top line creative center, one of the best players in the league added to our roster. Wouldn't help a lick for next season, other than maybe a deeper play-off run - but hopefully Rychel won't botch the import draft next year either.

Koko doesn't come back, and we might rearrange some chairs on this Titanic, but we're still sinking.

I found it really interesting that the game after scoring his first goal in near 20 games while on a line with Ho-Sang, Johnson was on a line with Studnicka and Emerson Clark.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:22 AM
youngblood10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitsfan67 View Post
I think it will be a back and forth chippy game tonight. Think will see a scrap or two in the first period, Gotta think the Soo is going to come out with a fire under em trying to please there new coach. I think if the game gets out of hand either way you will see a really chippy third...im going to say 6-4 Spitfires.
I think the Hounds will come out like gangbusters, Windsor will come out lethargic and hope that the logo and past greatness will save them. But it won't. Pav will keep it close for a while then the new found work ethic of the Soo out battling the home side will take it to the tune of 5-1 with an empty netter. But Kerby scores the goal so everyone is happy. Garbage picking without accountability. Gotta love it.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:23 AM
Ottomatic

With all the predictions of a chippy, spirited game tonight - does Bowen dress still given that Sanvido is back? Go with seven defencemen with McNaughton in street clothes?

Old
12-06-2012, 11:30 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngblood10 View Post
I don't know if he isn't playing enough. He's getting the starts that a backup goalie would get. In my experiences watching this league a goalie doesn't usually take over full time until they are 19, 18. (The odd phenom comes in right away but generally speaking.) I think Dekort has great potential but he isn't ready yet for prime time. With the London example if they had a veteran goalie they had faith in Patterson wouldn't be getting those starts. And once they trade for one he might not get another start knowing the Hunters. If Dekort was in London when the shootout starts he's be back on the bench. That's what they do and have done this year, they play to win at all times and are not worried about hurt feelings.

Edit: Just to add on I know your not saying he should start every game, my point is he's filling the backup role and doing a great job in how he's being used.
I am talking overall in 1.5 years so far he has gotten 6 starts in the OHL. I don't believe that is close to preparing him to be the #1 goalie next year. I think he needs a taste of back to back in the OHL, getting the first start in the week etc.. In regards to London needing a veteran goalie Baille is probably their Engelage and I don't see why they would need to get another goalie. The only goalies out there that would be worth acquiring eg. Subban, Binnington, Gibson aren't available. There's a good chance any goalie they got wouldn't produce more than Baille. I can't see a goalie doing better than a .932 sv%.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:34 AM
Spitsfan67*

Kerby needs to straighten up and get his act togeather when hes going off for a line change he skates like a slug 90% of the time does he not think fans and especially the scouts notice that maybe it can slip by with bougie and his dad but it wont impress the scouts, his work ethic has been terable this season IMO, he only hustles when the play is going towards the opponents net, hes are best player and when he does the right things it rubs off on his teammates to step it up a bit and he needs to give 100% a night.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:56 AM
jughead42

Goaltending and the future state of our goaltending is the least of our issues, even if you think its an issue at all - which I don't. Dekort doesn't have to be our number one goalie next year to be successful. It would be ideal if he were ready next year and capable, and we're doing nothing to keep that from being possible, but there's no way we should be counting on him to carry us next year. Pavelka is playing great for us, and Dekort has been solid when counted upon. What's the problem? Pavelka is undrafted and a solid overage candidate regardless of his import status, so if Dekort needs more seasoning we have an in-house option already. I know people are going to howl about wasting an OA and Import slot on the same guy, but if you're ever going to do that it's going to be for a good goalie and it's going to be when you don't have a lot of other options for OA's or Imports. That seems to be our situation on both accounts if the Niagara pick is late enough. We really don't have problems in net, Dekort is going to be fine.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:59 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
With all the predictions of a chippy, spirited game tonight - does Bowen dress still given that Sanvido is back? Go with seven defencemen with McNaughton in street clothes?
Yes except I would sit out Bateman as Mcnaughton is more useful on PP as he picked up an assist on Windsor"s lone goal on Sunday
Also Verbeek would sit if Clarke and Maletta are good to go as it seemed yesterday at practice

Old
12-06-2012, 12:06 PM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Quote:
I am talking overall in 1.5 years so far he has gotten 6 starts in the OHL. I don't believe that is close to preparing him to be the #1 goalie next year. I think he needs a taste of back to back in the OHL, getting the first start in the week etc.. In regards to London needing a veteran goalie Baille is probably their Engelage and I don't see why they would need to get another goalie. The only goalies out there that would be worth acquiring eg. Subban, Binnington, Gibson aren't available. There's a good chance any goalie they got wouldn't produce more than Baille. I can't see a goalie doing better than a .932 sv%.
Right you are, and it has been a nice surprise (Baille's play). Add that Patterson when he plays (10-1 record .926sv%), we have a nice problem of a crowded crease. I don't see London doing anything regarding goaltending and that includes involving a possible return by Houser (who is still on their protected list). If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
On another note, I am very surprised that Windsor isn't more competitive this year. From what I have seen the team really lacks leadership. When your best player (IMO - Rychel) has Kadri syndrome (plays when he wants to), that isn't good.

Old
12-06-2012, 12:11 PM
Spitsfan67*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knights77 View Post
Right you are, and it has been a nice surprise (Baille's play). Add that Patterson when he plays (10-1 record .926sv%), we have a nice problem of a crowded crease. I don't see London doing anything regarding goaltending and that includes involving a possible return by Houser (who is still on their protected list). If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
On another note, I am very surprised that Windsor isn't more competitive this year. From what I have seen the team really lacks leadership. When your best player (IMO - Rychel) has Kadri syndrome (plays when he wants to), that isn't good.
Its because lots of are "projected" up and coming players are very big dissappointments if they were all going we would be challanging for atleast 4th or 5th in the conference, and it dosent help Warren is doing nothing other then a trade that shuffled the deck...the way the team looks now im saying ninth place finish and even better because of the organization no first round pick.

Old
12-06-2012, 12:26 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitsfan67 View Post
Its because lots of are "projected" up and coming players are very big dissappointments if they were all going we would be challanging for atleast 4th or 5th in the conference, and it dosent help Warren is doing nothing other then a trade that shuffled the deck...the way the team looks now im saying ninth place finish and even better because of the organization no first round pick.
I doubt it will be a ninth place finish as Saginaw is expected to trade Trocheck and Ross 2 of their best forwards
They are probably going to keep Locke,Strong and Dalton Young as their O/as next yr
My guess is they will battle SSM for 7th or 8th unless something drastic happens ie a trade or 2 plus the return of Koko,which seems unlikely

Old
12-06-2012, 12:36 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Yeah I agree Sproul probably wont make team Canada,though he will miss 3 games,Mccann and Schmaucher will miss more,for Saginaw I expect Trochek ,Patterson and Prophet-17 to miss alot of time,Erie,Pelech,Dansk and McDavid will miss especially the last 2 guys,dont think Pelech makes team canada,Plymouth I think Rakell,and Noesen for sure,
Windsor does not seem worse off ths year unlike other years

Old
12-06-2012, 01:18 PM
hockeylegend11

Spits enter this game against the Hounds with the best home record in the division as it relates to pts with 19,also 5th in the conf in home pts,but 2nd worst in the conference with only 9 pts on the road,Erie has 5 pts total on the road this season
SSM is 6-7 on the road this season and their goal differential is -8
Wds goal differential at home excluding shootout and empty netters is +6
In fact the Spits have only allowed 39 goals against at home in 15 games and thats including 6 the opening nite vs Owen Sd and 5 against Guelph a week or so later
Not bad at all 28 goals against in the other 13 home games excluding the stupid shootout goals and an empty netter against barrie
their record in those 13 games is 8-2-0-3,including a 7-4 win over the Hounds where Pavelka played one of his most shakiest games despite winning
The Hounds score alot abut allow alot more

Old
12-06-2012, 01:18 PM
KnightSpit

Erie Windsor D Trade ?

Hey

If Bateman is on the block any truth to the Murphy kid from the Otters to Windsor in a straight up trade. Apparently Patrick Murphy is a big 6ft 3 inch, 200lb 2 way D. Played 9 games for Erie last year, got 3 points. They say in Junior he is making a mess as a D already 21 points in 22 games 9 of them goals and 8 points in the last 5 games alone. Can't believe Erie is not playing the kid.

The move might be good for both players, as they are both 95'S and apparently both played in the same GTHL Triple AAA loop at some point. if not on the same team. Saw this on the Erie board, also makes sense cause Erie just traded Glass one of their D today, for only a draft pick. Marchese must know that |Murphy kid. Spits do need a bit of a shake up

Old
12-06-2012, 01:39 PM
SpItFiReZ

McNaughton is terrible. I'd rather Bateman over him in a heartbeat. For "running the powerplay" its the same play all the time. Ho Sang comes back grabs the puck behind the net and goes then outlet passes around the blueline. Murphy, Ebert, Bateman, Seiloff, Posa would all be ahead of McNaughton on the PP on my team.

As for trading Bateman....they better get something decent for him. Look at Webermin as a prime example. If not keep him as he will not be in the AHL or NHL when he could be an OA.

Old
12-06-2012, 01:49 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpItFiReZ View Post
McNaughton is terrible. I'd rather Bateman over him in a heartbeat. For "running the powerplay" its the same play all the time. Ho Sang comes back grabs the puck behind the net and goes then outlet passes around the blueline. Murphy, Ebert, Bateman, Seiloff, Posa would all be ahead of McNaughton on the PP on my team.

As for trading Bateman....they better get something decent for him. Look at Webermin as a prime example. If not keep him as he will not be in the AHL or NHL when he could be an OA.
Dont disagree overall re Bateman and Mcnaughton,however both really run hot and cold and of late in the last 2 games I just think Mcnaughton has been better,before Bateman just after the trade played alot better
Getting alot for a player harder then u think,there is little to no sympathy for the spitfires plight right now,moreso after the sanctions,Warren is having a tough time making deals,seems his asking price is too high

Closed Thread