HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CBA Negotiations III: Why Can't We All Just...Get Along?

Closed Thread

Old
12-06-2012, 06:19 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
Thanks for summing it up, Prongo
Same here, thanks.

Old
12-06-2012, 07:52 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
That is lame. I wonder how they would even work that out (i.e. all contracts longer than X years are cut short, or they can be if you want, etc.).
The same way they did last time -- keep demanding until the players say yes.

Old
12-06-2012, 08:09 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
The same way they did last time -- keep demanding until the players say yes.
No I mean how will it work if that goes into effect. Will all contracts longer than five years now become five year deals? Would owner's be able to pick and choose which contracts they want to keep over five years? What will the cap hits be like if the terms are cut short?

Old
12-06-2012, 08:22 AM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
No I mean how will it work if that goes into effect. Will all contracts longer than five years now become five year deals? Would owner's be able to pick and choose which contracts they want to keep over five years? What will the cap hits be like if the terms are cut short?
Term would be a lot harder to reduce imho because many deal are heavily front-loaded, so messing with the term would severely cripple half the teams in the league. It's not even just the big market teams that have those kinds of deals.

What I would expect the owners would want is something where they cut the total value of all deals over a certain length or all deals in general by X %.

Old
12-06-2012, 08:22 AM
McNasty

Quote:
No, they would retain the term of their previous contract. That's why there was such a rush to get so many deals in before the lockout.

Also if I'm the NHL I'm proposing that max contract length be tied to CBA term. They want 9 year contract limits, sign a 9 year CBA.

Last edited by McNasty: 12-06-2012 at 08:29 AM.
Old
12-06-2012, 09:22 AM
Prongo
Beer

Bettman and Fehr to rejoin negotiations. Now before anyone panics, this is needed for a deal to be made no matter what. I'm not a huge fan of the 5/7 year max contract deals, but if that becomes the only major standing point between the deal getting made, the NHLPA would be idiotic not to ok it.

Also let's see if they can clear up the honoring of the already signed contracts today. I don't know how the NHL can think the players will agree to this.

Maybe propose if they NHL agrees to honor in full all contracts signed, then the NHLPA wil agree to 5/7 UFA deals? Seems like its fair to me? They seem to be close on the "make whole" part of the deal. Hammer that out and move onto length of the deal. If there is a 10 year deal instead of an opt out at 8 go down to 7?

Last edited by Prongo: 12-06-2012 at 09:33 AM.
Old
12-06-2012, 09:38 AM
RussianRocket10

Today is a day of refreshing HF and watching Twitter all day.

Old
12-06-2012, 10:09 AM
RevUpThoseGolfCarts
Experts at losing

Winning the cup on half a season would suck. Permanent asterisk next to that championship.

Old
12-06-2012, 10:12 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevUpThoseGolfCarts View Post
Winning the cup on half a season would suck. Permanent asterisk next to that championship.
Not at all. A cup is a cup and you still have to go through 4 rounds of playoffs to get it. There would be no * next to that win.

Old
12-06-2012, 10:33 AM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Not at all. A cup is a cup and you still have to go through 4 rounds of playoffs to get it. There would be no * next to that win.
only among the sore losers there would be..

mostly out of jealousy.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:16 AM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevUpThoseGolfCarts View Post
I guess the Devils' cup didn't mean anything in 95.

I believe if you win a cup in a condensed season, that shows a lot of character for your team.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:25 AM
McNasty

16/30 teams make the playoffs. 1/16 teams win the stanley cup, only one of those things is "easier" during a shortened season and that's a debatable point in itself.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:28 AM
Devastate

The main board and business board seems fairly pessimistic. Hopefully things go well today.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:32 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devastate View Post
The main board and business board seems fairly pessimistic. Hopefully things go well today.
The main board has stooped to just blaming Fehr for everything that is happening today when they have not even meet face to face. TBH it's actually pretty [REDACTED] out there right. People just hang on every word from twitter.

Also NHLPA still have internal meetings right now. Maybe they are voting on the proposal from the NHL. I said just a couple of slight variances and this deal could be fair for both sides. Although, I will admit I have no clue what the pension debate is, but seems to be another problem in the negotiations.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:33 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

I dont blame them for being pessimistic. I admit I am.

anyway Jeremy Jacobs is a jackass. but this is nothing new.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...medium=twitter

Representatives from the NHL and NHLPA got hot under their collars during another round of marathon meetings — but not hot enough to halt momentum.

That was the word out of New York on Wednesday, as multiple sources reported the testiest exchanges came from Boston Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs and Buffalo Sabres goalie Ryan Miller.

The conversation went something like this.

appearantly Jacobs had a fit and left. yet its the players who are acting childish

“Let’s leave,” said Boston Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs, turning to NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly.

“It’s up to you,” replied Daly.

At that point during the talks between the NHL and NHL Players Association on Wednesday, a day that began as a continuation of the momentum generated on Tuesday, both sides were at the precipice, and the 2012-13 season was in jeopardy.

Earlier, Buffalo Sabres goalie Ryan Miller had angrily vented when the owners said they were disappointed with the players responses to an earlier offer and threatened to pull everything off the table

Old
12-06-2012, 12:16 PM
Prongo
Beer

https://twitter.com/ChrisBottaNHL/st...51617074794496

Quote:
Player sources say they're determined to continue to negotiate for what's right. But there will be a deal and a season.

Old
12-06-2012, 12:19 PM
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier

Send a message via AIM to flyguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post

Representatives from the NHL and NHLPA got hot under their collars during another round of marathon meetings — but not hot enough to halt momentum.

That was the word out of New York on Wednesday, as multiple sources reported the testiest exchanges came from Boston Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs and Buffalo Sabres goalie Ryan Miller.

appearantly Jacobs had a fit and left. yet its the players who are acting childish

“Let’s leave,” said Boston Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs, turning to NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly.

At that point during the talks between the NHL and NHL Players Association on Wednesday, a day that began as a continuation of the momentum generated on Tuesday, both sides were at the precipice, and the 2012-13 season was in jeopardy.

Earlier, Buffalo Sabres goalie Ryan Miller had angrily vented when the owners said they were disappointed with the players responses to an earlier offer and threatened to pull everything off the table
They're all acting like children. Except children probably have shorter memories than these people...

Old
12-06-2012, 12:25 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy View Post
They're all acting like children. Except children probably have shorter memories than these people...
yeah i know, and I realize things can get heated and such when there is so much on the line. a couple of owners and a couple of players yelling at each other for a short bit.
I just have no use for someone wanting to walk out of a meeting when things arent going his way.

Old
12-06-2012, 12:31 PM
Prongo
Beer

I find it absolutely hilarious that people are complaining about the players fighting for what they want. The owners were fighting for what they want as well, but it seems like the main board just seems to blame the players.

Also I ****ing can't stand when people say what is there to fight for, more millions of dollars? when referring to the players. We do all realize the owners are making more money than the players right. People saying the players should donate their paychecks to less fortunate families are ignorant.

I am unbiased in this, I really just want to see hockey again. But to sit there and solely blame one side over the other is pathetic. Both sides are in this together, they both deserve the blame.

Old
12-06-2012, 01:09 PM
Subject Orange

As a way to escape today's insanity surrounding the CBA, I watched the NHL's presentation of the classic series, 2010 Playoffs - Flyers vs Bruins.

Makes the day seem that much brighter.

Old
12-06-2012, 01:12 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
I find it absolutely hilarious that people are complaining about the players fighting for what they want. The owners were fighting for what they want as well, but it seems like the main board just seems to blame the players.

Also I ****ing can't stand when people say what is there to fight for, more millions of dollars? when referring to the players. We do all realize the owners are making more money than the players right. People saying the players should donate their paychecks to less fortunate families are ignorant.

I am unbiased in this, I really just want to see hockey again. But to sit there and solely blame one side over the other is pathetic. Both sides are in this together, they both deserve the blame.
some people are under the belief that only the players are being greedy and the players have no right to demand anything and the owners have every right to not to give an inch.
Both sides have been pretty stubborn right up until now and what do you know just like many predicted when zero hour is approaching on the season both sides suddenly may be coming to their senses.

Old
12-06-2012, 01:16 PM
toughfighter83*

Quote:

nevermind

Old
12-06-2012, 01:47 PM
Mkoll
Inkvisiittori

Quote:
some people are under the belief that only the players are being greedy and the players have no right to demand anything and the owners have every right to not to give an inch.
Both sides have been pretty stubborn right up until now and what do you know just like many predicted when zero hour is approaching on the season both sides suddenly may be coming to their senses.
Are they both greedy? yes.

I think the major difference, and why ppl tend to say players are more greedy is the fact the owners have invested millions of their own money into a business, taking a large risk in losing millions. The players just want a large guaranteed paycheck with no risk (health risk aside because even injured they'll get paid, right?).

And before you jump down my throat, I am neutral on the subject. I just want hockey.

Old
12-06-2012, 01:48 PM
moosehead81

Quote:

According to John Shannon, Miller got angry when Jacobs threatened to walk, asked him to continue dialogue and indicated that the PA could just as easily threaten to walk out also. Not sure how accurate this is.

Old
12-06-2012, 02:10 PM
Ryker

I don't even know why the NHLPA side let Miller behind the table. I think we've all seen his overreactions in the media after the series against the Flyers, as well as Lucic's hit on him. He clearly can't keep his mouth shut and is just spouting drivel when emotions get the better of him.

Closed Thread