HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

56-game season to start circa 12/20?

Old
12-06-2012, 12:56 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdTheSabresFan View Post
I can't believe I'm saying this. But I don't care at all that the NHL has a hope of coming back...

I have been an absolutely rabid fan since before the last lockout; I have 5 NHL jerseys (3 Sabres, 1 Caps, 1 Oilers)...I play hockey like crazy all winter long...but you know what, I'm just sick of it all.

Instead of watching hockey I've watched CFL, MLB, NFL, and Premier League. Before this year I'd have told you I hated that crap. Today I not only love it, but I PREFER IT.

Hockey has not only lost me in terms of abusing my fan-dom, it's lost me because it has made me realize how one-dimensional it is. How big a sporting world there is. To be honest, at this point in the season, without the big anticipation and push of September-October...I'm just not into it, and I'd rather be elsewhere.
The above does not in any way represent anything Sabres related, Buffalo related, or Hockey fan related. A fan of the sport as we all (well most of us) know watches and/or plays hockey for the love of the sport, not the formed league of a sport.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 01:22 AM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Jackson View Post
It would never happen, but if it's going to be a short season, I would love to see 2 games, home and away, against every club.

58 games, completely balanced and fair for every team.

That would be a great way for the league to recapture fan interest, too. Awesome idea!

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 01:55 AM
Leafs87
Mr. Steal Your Job

If a season starts by December 20th I will be ecstatic. I'm obviously not happy about the lockout, but I don't think me boycotting it will make a difference any ways so I just can't wait.

Go leafs go !

Leafs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 02:38 AM
Tyrolean

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post
That would be a great way for the league to recapture fan interest, too. Awesome idea!
I agree. Didn't they once chose the best 16 teams regardless of conference or division for the playoffs once? Too bad they never kept that format.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 06:31 AM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
It would never happen, but if it's going to be a short season, I would love to see 2 games, home and away, against every club.

Except having East-West travel in an already compressed schedule is pretty much impossible. They're going to have 58 games in approximately 120 days WITH Vancouver going to NY-NJ-Long Island and the Caps going to Vancouver-Edmonton-Calgary? Not bloody likely, especially since you have to have more than one of those trips and they suck up off/travel days.

NJDevs26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 07:40 AM
Czech Your Math

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
Except having East-West travel in an already compressed schedule is pretty much impossible. They're going to have 58 games in approximately 120 days WITH Vancouver going to NY-NJ-Long Island and the Caps going to Vancouver-Edmonton-Calgary? Not bloody likely, especially since you have to have more than one of those trips and they suck up off/travel days.
Exactly, that's not going to happen in a shortened season.

I would guess it will be something like:

8 games each in division = 32
3 games each in conference = 30

62 game schedule

or, if they don't have enough time for > 60 games:

6 games division = 24
3 games conference = 30

54 game schedule

Czech Your Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 07:48 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by M A K A V E L I View Post
Having the same # of games against divisional and conference opponents would make the divisions useless.

There needs to be 6 games against the divisional teams, 3 for the rest of the conference and the remaining extra games can be done randomly or based on rivalries in the conference.
I agree. 6 vs your division and 3 vs the rest of the conference. That gets you 54 games.

Set it up so one entire division has home-ice against the other division. For example, Atlantic has 2 games at home vs northeast and 1 game at home against southeast. Northeast has 2 games at home vs southeast (or however you want to set it up). I know it might be tough to do since you are dealing with a condensed schedule and travel might be tough.

patnyrnyg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 07:52 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:

You're right. It would never happen. THANKFULLY. It would be terrible. Last thing I would want as a Rangers fan is less games against the Flyers, Devils, Isles, Penguins, so that I can see them play the Predators, Coyotes, and Ducks.

patnyrnyg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 07:53 AM
Inkling
Proud to be a Mammal

I'd prefer the NHL start early-mid January so that it doesn't mess with the World Juniors. I was getting excited at the prospect of seeing all the young NHLers going to Russia. Having the NHL back a few weeks early is not worth screwing up what could be a great tournament. Obviously not something the league is going to consider, but as a fan I hope the negotiations hit a few minor bumps in the road that take a couple of weeks to work out.

Inkling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 07:54 AM
Stats01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs87 View Post
If a season starts by December 20th I will be ecstatic. I'm obviously not happy about the lockout, but I don't think me boycotting it will make a difference any ways so I just can't wait.

Go leafs go !
It would be great for the Leafs because starting December 20th, we avoid our dreaded mid season funk. Our Novembers the past few years have killed our playoff chances.

Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 07:59 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czech Your Math View Post
Exactly, that's not going to happen in a shortened season.

I would guess it will be something like:

8 games each in division = 32
3 games each in conference = 30

62 game schedule
I think we're past 8x in-division. That was tried before and not received well.

I'd like it if they just tried a one-time, just do away with divisions and go 4x against the conference and make it every man of themselves.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 08:42 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkling View Post
I'd prefer the NHL start early-mid January so that it doesn't mess with the World Juniors. I was getting excited at the prospect of seeing all the young NHLers going to Russia. Having the NHL back a few weeks early is not worth screwing up what could be a great tournament. Obviously not something the league is going to consider, but as a fan I hope the negotiations hit a few minor bumps in the road that take a couple of weeks to work out.

So, are you Canadian? lol.

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 08:42 AM
cbcwpg

vCash: 350
According to sources, the owners discussed a possible season that would span 50-plus games. There had been talk of a 60-game schedule in the event of a labour settlement, but the feeling among the group was that it would be too ambitious at this stage.

http://www.globaltvbc.com/tensions+r...377/story.html

cbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 10:45 AM
bigd

My best guess is if they can get something done by tomorrow they have to give guys time to to get back to the states and get settled. I see a week of training camp starting on the 15th and games starting on Xmas day.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 10:49 AM
TOML

Guaranteed the start date will reflect the NHL's sheer arrogance. Christmas Day would be perfect.

TOML

TOML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 10:51 AM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dingo View Post
Grrrrrreeat! Like Tony the Tiger Grreat
And until the puck drops at the next Kings game, it still feels like the parade was only yesterday!!

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 12:09 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

For me, if the CBA got signed today we would ne looking at a december 26th at the earliest for the season to start. IT is not as simple of signing the cba and opening within a week. Players are scattered all over the world and it would take a few days for some to pick up sticks and head back to the NHL. The nhl and teams have some holes to fill in their collective businesses to get their business running

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 12:14 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
I'm still going with a January 1st start date and around 48 games. I don't see anything substantial happening this week/weekend. The NHL will cancel the rest of December and they will get back together in 7-10 days to start the fight over again.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 01:29 PM
DieHardJoe

Even the NHL would not be stupid enough to schedule a game on Xmas (okay, okay, maybe they are that stupid). The NBA, whether us hockey fans like it or not, have that day to themselves. They schedule a televised triple-header with 3 marquee matchups, starting with Boston-Brooklyn, followed by Knicks-Lakers and finishing with Miami-OKC. I pray the NHL excludes that day and let's us enjoy it with our family.

DieHardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 02:00 PM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieHardJoe View Post
Even the NHL would not be stupid enough to schedule a game on Xmas (okay, okay, maybe they are that stupid). The NBA, whether us hockey fans like it or not, have that day to themselves. They schedule a televised triple-header with 3 marquee matchups, starting with Boston-Brooklyn, followed by Knicks-Lakers and finishing with Miami-OKC. I pray the NHL excludes that day and let's us enjoy it with our family.
Yeah, the NBA owns Xmas Day much like the NFL owns Thanksgiving Day in the States, so I doubt that the NHL would open up the season in competition with them. The NHL will want a certain degree of fanfare to draw as many people back in as possible. Xmas Day games will not be watched by many "casual fans".

That's not to say they won't play at all on the 25th, but I truly doubt they'll open up then.

Strummergas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 02:02 PM
Ringmaster316

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
According to sources, the owners discussed a possible season that would span 50-plus games. There had been talk of a 60-game schedule in the event of a labour settlement, but the feeling among the group was that it would be too ambitious at this stage.

http://www.globaltvbc.com/tensions+r...377/story.html
thanks for the global link
Funny in NY(american state) and all the reporters are from Canada...told u americans don't care. PTI on ESPN(both hosts are hockey fans btw) said the samething NHL has there little hardcore fans in the states but most don't care.

Ringmaster316 is offline   Reply With Quote