HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > World Junior Championship
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
World Junior Championship Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '13 Canada 2.0

Closed Thread

Old
12-06-2012, 06:43 PM
arsmaster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snippit View Post
Corrado doesn't have a shot. Too many guys in front of him right now, it's just too deep.
I hope he makes it just because nobody is giving him a chance.

It's just too deep? He's invited right?

He's clearly got a shot. Anyone making statements like this sound foolish.

Old
12-06-2012, 06:57 PM
RJQuack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snippit View Post
Corrado doesn't have a shot. Too many guys in front of him right now, it's just too deep.
Yes, and camp hasn't started yet.

Old
12-06-2012, 06:58 PM
ALine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback91 View Post
That's what the same people in this thread were saying about him getting an invite when Canuck fans suggested he would get one and look how that turned out so excuse us if we don't believe others in this thread when they tell us that. Personally I think he has a shot at the 7th d-man spot. He played exceptionally well on his offside paired with Hamilton in the SSS. I believe he is also 2nd in scoring for d-men in the ohl while he is known more as a defensive d-man with amazing skating abilities. They already have Hamilton oulette and maybe even Murphy who are all ofd so there would be no point in adding anymore ofd over a 2 way guy
I would say Hamilton is a pretty solid at both ends, I think refering to him as strictly an offensive defensemen is wrong. The same could be said for Murray, but not quite to the same degree. A guy like Rielly is a pure offensive defensemen.

Old
12-06-2012, 07:13 PM
Ched Brosky

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALine View Post
I would say Hamilton is a pretty solid at both ends, I think refering to him as strictly an offensive defensemen is wrong. The same could be said for Murray, but not quite to the same degree. A guy like Rielly is a pure offensive defensemen.
I forgot about Reilly so that makes 4 since its Murphy not Murray and I know dougie's pretty solid at both ends but he's more offensive than defensive.

Old
12-06-2012, 08:40 PM
JaredCowenFan
Lazar For Captain

"Ryan Nugent-Hopkins says he will know by Monday if he will play for Canada at the WJC."

Great to hear!

Old
12-06-2012, 09:06 PM
The Saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALine View Post
Morgan Rielly is not purely offensive. He's a very capable two-way guy, but I've heard that uninformed opinion before. You'll be singing another tune once you watch him at the WJC.

Old
12-06-2012, 09:14 PM
ALine

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
Morgan Rielly is not purely offensive. He's a very capable two-way guy, but I've heard that uninformed opinion before. You'll be singing another tune once you watch him at the WJC.
From what I've seen he's average defensively, and absolutely stellar offensive abilities. Hence my classifying him an offensive defensemen. Granted its not like I watch every game but that has been my impression thus far.

Old
12-06-2012, 09:30 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

I hope Dumba makes it !!!

Old
12-06-2012, 09:32 PM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
I hope Dumba makes it !!!
Me too. Love what he brings

Old
12-06-2012, 09:37 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdubois585 View Post
Me too. Love what he brings
Reminds me of a young Phaneuf !

Old
12-06-2012, 09:52 PM
Sterling31
YNWA

It's too bad that the coach is from the Rangers, can't expect them to cut Murphy.

Would hate to see Dumba off the team because of this guy.

He seems like a dude that breathes big game hockey, and would be someone you want on the ice.

Old
12-06-2012, 09:55 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy8920 View Post
It's too bad that the coach is from the Rangers, can't expect them to cut Murphy.

He seems like a dude that breathes big game hockey, and would be someone you want on the ice.
Well he already cut spooner...

Old
12-06-2012, 10:26 PM
Snippit

How would our PP units look like, based on your roster?

Old
12-06-2012, 10:40 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Spreadin Cheer;Mumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy8920 View Post

What exactly has Dumba done this year that would make it such a travesty if he were omitted?

Old
12-06-2012, 10:59 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
What exactly has Dumba done this year that would make it such a travesty if he were omitted?
He's the kind of guy you win with, and he should be there over Murphy easily.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:01 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
Maybe Corrado will, maybe he won't... who knows... we'll find out soon.
That fringe player? pffff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Sure. Even if you catch a player in his worst 5 games of his career, you'll see his skills and ability. And that's not to say I caught Corrado in bad games. I remember one game where he was really solid, but I just don't see a guy who makes a Team Canada as deep as this.

Like your fellow Canuck fan said, is this really worth arguing?

You've disagreed with my observation by arguing semantics and attacking my credibility, but offered little in the way of points to change my mind or others.

We've probably added enough white noise to this thread. Maybe it's time we move on.
Sorry if you find me asking you about how you make your opinions as attacking your credibility.... I'm just trying to understand how you make your opinion. When an opinion comes across as strong as yours knowing how this opinion is made in depth is nice to know.

I disagree that 5 games is a decent enough sample size to have a good opinion on a player. You're right you CAN see their skills and ability in that sample size but then again you could just be catching them on certain nights (good or bad)

Last edited by Scottrockztheworld*: 12-06-2012 at 11:10 PM.
Old
12-06-2012, 11:05 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Spreadin Cheer;Mumps

Quote:
He's the kind of guy you win with, and he should be there over Murphy easily.
What makes you say that? He sure looked out of his depth in the Super Series, and he's hardly blowing anyone away in Red Deer this year.

To be honest, I think people are more swayed by Dumba's style than anything, because there's very little substance that would suggest he should be anywhere near a lock this year. He's got a shot, but no better shot than most of the non-returnee invites on the blueline.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:06 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
What makes you say that? He sure looked out of his depth in the Super Series, and he's hardly blowing anyone away in Red Deer this year.

To be honest, I think people are more swayed by Dumba's style than anything, because there's very little substance that would suggest he should be anywhere near a lock this year.
He's better defensively then Murphy... And he's on a weak team.. Where he has taken on a bigger defensive role.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:12 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Spreadin Cheer;Mumps

Quote:
He's better defensively then Murphy... And he's on a weak team.. Where he has taken on a bigger defensive role.
And that much less dynamic offensively - not to mention Murphy's fantastic game against the Russians in the Super Series. It's all about what the coaching staff prioritizes.

Not to mention, Murphy's hardly the only other legitimate competition for the role. That spot is totally up for grabs.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:33 PM
JaredCowenFan
Lazar For Captain

Mathew Dumba is an impact player. He is your absolute perfect two-way defenceman. He hits hard as a Phaneuf and can score to. He has worked on his defence more over the years and is breaking into, if he already hasn't(your judgement) an all around solid defenceman. I have had the pleasure to watch him day in and day out here in Red Deer. He is going to have a long and lustrious career in the NHL, take my word for it.

Just becuase he isn't having the greatest year doesn't mean he's a bad player. In fact he has picked up his points lately. Not to mention the Rebels have won 8 in a row and are the hottest team in the Dub if not the CHL. Any team would be lucky to have him. Any team needs a Mathew Dumba.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:43 PM
newfy

Problem with Dumba is he hasnt had a great season or subway series and Rielly and Reinhart are probably already ahead of him. I cant see Canada going that young on their blue line especially with a lockout so there will be more talent back there then usual.

On the other hand he has that physical ability that no one else brings on the D to that extent and a good history with HC. I think he has a good shot but wouldnt be surprised if Sproul or Corrado make it over him

Old
12-07-2012, 12:01 AM
Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
Problem with Dumba is he hasnt had a great season or subway series and Rielly and Reinhart are probably already ahead of him. I cant see Canada going that young on their blue line especially with a lockout so there will be more talent back there then usual.

On the other hand he has that physical ability that no one else brings on the D to that extent and a good history with HC. I think he has a good shot but wouldnt be surprised if Sproul or Corrado make it over him
Canada would have taken Murray, Rielly and Reinhart, but I tend to agree that there is a high probability that there will only be those two 2012 picks on D this year. Team Canada tends to prefer to take the 19 year old if things are close. Dumba, Sproul and Corrado are the 3 RD players vying for the third pairing. It wouldn't shock me if one of Sproul or Corrado actually are already favored to take that spot over Dumba. People keep talking about how he's just having a bad season, but you have to evaluate him on how he's playing right now. If he doesn't outshine the other two in camp, he won't be picked.

Old
12-07-2012, 12:08 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredCowenFan View Post
Mathew Dumba is an impact player. He is your absolute perfect two-way defenceman. He hits hard as a Phaneuf and can score to. He has worked on his defence more over the years and is breaking into, if he already hasn't(your judgement) an all around solid defenceman. I have had the pleasure to watch him day in and day out here in Red Deer. He is going to have a long and lustrious career in the NHL, take my word for it.

Just becuase he isn't having the greatest year doesn't mean he's a bad player. In fact he has picked up his points lately. Not to mention the Rebels have won 8 in a row and are the hottest team in the Dub if not the CHL. Any team would be lucky to have him. Any team needs a Mathew Dumba.
Havent seen him yet this year but last year he was on the ice every second shift, and that isnt hyperbole. PP, PK, he is there and can do it all, not to mention bringing a physical component to the game. I will be disappointed if he isnt on the team, but I fear the deck is stacked against him (OHL coach n'all).

He has good wheels too which will be a plus on the big ice. I would take him over Murphy myself, but we all know that isnt going to happen.

Old
12-07-2012, 12:56 AM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

I see the battle on defense shaping up a little differently. At this point I think it is quite safe to assume that the top four is locked in, so barring an awful camp from one of Harrington, Hamilton, Oullett and Rielly they are safe.

I think the spot for third pairing LD is between Griffin Reinhart and Tyler Wotherspoon. I say this because they play very similar games that provide consistency and stability to the team in the way a Ryan Murray would. Obviously these two are not quite at that level, but in my opinion would be the best bets to replace that void (If that was the direction TC was looking). I would think that only one of these two could be on the team, so the loser would realistically not be brought along as a 7th defender.

The third pairing RD comes down to a battle between Matt Dumba and Ryan Murphy. Either way, I think the *loser* of this battle in camp is the front runner for the 7th spot on the team anyways.

Unfortunately for players like Pouliot and Sproul who are both truly great offensive talents, they are simply stuck behind too much depth in that regard during a lockout year (IMO). Then there is Corrado who possesses a good two way game which makes him a strong candidate to be brought along as the 7th defender if one of the bigger names struggle or get banged up during camp.

So in short..

Hamilton - Rielly
Harrington - Ouellet
Rienhart/Wotherspoon - Dumba/Murphy
Murphy/Dumba/Corrado

Old
12-07-2012, 01:26 AM
94eleven
fka Loosemonkeys

How many of the D have experience playing their off side? I don't expect Corrado to make it unfortunately (though would love to see him there) but I wonder if his showing in the SSS of playing his off side with Hamilton would help his case to be brought along as the #7 D and be able to play either side in case of injury.

Closed Thread