HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated"
Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated" Rated PG13, unmoderated but threads must stay on topic - that means you can flame each other all you want as long as it's legal

The War on Christmas - your take

Old
12-05-2012, 05:24 PM
Johnny LaRue

vCash: 500
FWIW, even the CBC, which is pretty moderate, was hinting at the war on Christmas.

They were covering the Santa Claus parade in Vancouver and discussed how "Christmas" has become taboo in society. They said that the term Christmas and any references to Christianity were omitted from the parade even though Islamic and Jewish floats were there. They were surprisingly critical of the omission as well.

They interviewed many new Canadians from both South and East Asia, and they all said they loved celebrating Christmas and they found it crazy that the Santa Claus parade would avoid the term Christmas.

Johnny LaRue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 08:06 AM
Nightslyr

Send a message via AIM to Nightslyr
One of my Facebook friends posted this without irony:

Nightslyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 06:02 PM
Ilkka Sinisalo
Amazing American

Ilkka Sinisalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 06:48 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Troi a virgin, LOL!

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 07:10 PM
Sad Leafs fan

vCash: 1807
I don't know about a war on Christmas but I do know there is a war against Christians and from what I've been told and read it's the devil that's responsible for it.

That said, it confuses me that God created the devil and allows him to run free..........I can't wrap my head around that.....anyone help me understand?

2525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 07:36 PM
ddawg1950

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2525 View Post
I don't know about a war on Christmas but I do know there is a war against Christians and from what I've been told and read it's the devil that's responsible for it.

That said, it confuses me that God created the devil and allows him to run free..........I can't wrap my head around that.....anyone help me understand?
The devil was originally God's favorite angel.

Then he got too big for his britches and God cast him into the depths of hell, which is just outside of Prince Albert, Saskatchewan.

Then the devil got all up into evil...and well, then it got all Harry Potter-like.

Unforgivable curses, raising people from the dead, turning water into wine, flull blown Patronus charms, raising from the dead...the whole magical thing.

Of course muggles and atheists really don't get the whole good versus evil thing.

ddawg1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 08:07 AM
Nightslyr

Christianity -> Ultimate LARP.

Old
12-07-2012, 08:17 AM
Kellogs
G'night Sweet Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post
Mary a virgin, LOL!

Fixed

Kellogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 10:31 AM
ddawg1950

Just watched a quick clip of the Obama family singing at the Christmas Tree lighting in DC...singing Santa Claus is Coming To Town.

Next to the First Family was Neil Patrick Harris and the hispanic kid from Modern Family.

Welcome to the New World Order...an openly gay actor, a mexican kid and a bunch of negroes living in the White House!

The House Science Committee, the Million Moms and Rick Santorum are all gonna be frothing out their ass this morning.

Old
12-07-2012, 10:35 AM
Doppler Drift

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg1950 View Post
Just watched a quick clip of the Obama family singing at the Christmas Tree lighting in DC...singing Santa Claus is Coming To Town.

Next to the First Family was Neil Patrick Harris and the hispanic kid from Modern Family.

Welcome to the New World Order...an openly gay actor, a mexican kid and a bunch of negroes living in the White House!

The House Science Committee, the Million Moms and Rick Santorum are all gonna be frothing out their ass this morning.
And not singing a religious carol. Dead giveaway, they really are Muslims.

Doppler Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 10:38 AM
ddawg1950

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppler Drift View Post
And not singing a religious carol. Dead giveaway, they really are Muslims.
Does Sharia law have any holiday carols?

Allah knows when you are sleeping, Allah knows when you're awake...

Old
12-07-2012, 10:44 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Does Sharia law have any holiday carols?

Allah knows when you are sleeping, Allah knows when you're awake...
He knows when you've gone Jihad or reform

So go Jihad, for Mohammed's sake!

Epsilon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 11:11 AM
ddawg1950

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
He knows when you've gone Jihad or reform

So go Jihad, for Mohammed's sake!

Beauty.

Old
12-08-2012, 01:05 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/we...y-to-the-world

Hasbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 01:21 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
1. There is no war against Christmas.

2. Christmas should be scaled back tremendously. Even as a Christian -- it is annoyingly long-lasting; stretching back into November is just absurd. Scale it back, guys.

3. Atheists are annoying as **** and need to stop whining about nativity scenes. They should be allowed as should references to any other religion or non-religion. If they want to put up an atheist protest scene, they should be allowed.

4. As atheists are trolls, Christians need to stop feeding them by getting enraged in the same manner that the trolls do.

"Okay, Joel. You've had your fun. Give your brother his pads back." - Trxjw
Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 01:13 AM
Vyacheslav
Subdue the East

vCash: 541
Send a message via AIM to Vyacheslav
Not what I saw coming, but Fox criticizes Obama for having too many Christmas trees at the White House. Yes. Too many

http://www.newshounds.us/fox_attacks...trees_12072012

If you recall, Obama took heat just last Christmas over a rumor that he wasn't going to have a Christmas tree on their Christmas card.

Vyacheslav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 01:26 AM
Vyacheslav
Subdue the East

vCash: 541
Send a message via AIM to Vyacheslav
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
1. There is no war against Christmas.

2. Christmas should be scaled back tremendously. Even as a Christian -- it is annoyingly long-lasting; stretching back into November is just absurd. Scale it back, guys.

3. Atheists are annoying as **** and need to stop whining about nativity scenes. They should be allowed as should references to any other religion or non-religion. If they want to put up an atheist protest scene, they should be allowed.

4. As atheists are trolls, Christians need to stop feeding them by getting enraged in the same manner that the trolls do.
1)Agreed
2)Don't care about it, people can celebrate Christmas all year long if they want to.
3)Generalize much?
4)See 3. Why are atheists trolls anyway? Because they don't believe in your religion? Many theists take an atheist's lack of belief as personally insulting to them because of that lack of belief in their god. That's why it feels like trolling, when the atheist is simply not believing in their religion. Perhaps you are simply misinterpreting their motives or projecting them. I think that a theist can be as much of a troll as an atheist, it all comes down to intent.

Vyacheslav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 01:41 AM
Rizer
Registered dissident

I'm looking forward to this year's Winter Solstice, what about you guys?

OOPS! I DECLARED WAR!!

Damn you, truth!

Rizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 10:10 AM
Nightslyr

There's nothing wrong with celebrating the birth of Santa, and then, later, the death of Santa and his resurrection as a bunny.

Old
12-09-2012, 10:24 AM
ddawg1950

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightslyr View Post
There's nothing wrong with celebrating the birth of Santa, and then, later, the death of Santa and his resurrection as a bunny.
What I don't get is why the bunny does the whole egg thing.

That is a curious theology.

Maybe not a "big fish swallowing a guy whole" curiosity...but still...

Old
12-09-2012, 11:54 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightslyr View Post
According to the Holy Book (Looney Tunes Edition) Santa morphed into the Easter Bunny while on the cross.

And said as he morphed "Dad, forgive them, for they know not what they do" and proclaimed...

And couple of days later as he rose from his burrow a vision was seen by his 3 disciples, Daffy, Bugs and Porky who reverentially intoned:

Hard as it to believe there are some who cultists dispute this historical reality.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 11:59 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
What I don't get is why the bunny does the whole egg thing.

That is a curious theology.

Maybe not a "big fish swallowing a guy whole" curiosity...but still...
Just them Christians stealing yet another pagan tradition for their own as with marriage. BTW what happened to the "Thou shalt not steal" thing anyway???
After discovering that people were more reluctant to give up their holidays and festivals than their gods, they simply incorporated Pagan practices into Christian festivals. As recounted by the Venerable Bede, an early Christian writer, clever clerics copied Pagan practices and by doing so, made Christianity more palatable to pagan folk reluctant to give up their festivals for somber Christian practices.

In second century Europe, the predominate spring festival was a raucous Saxon fertility celebration in honor of the Saxon Goddess Eastre, whose sacred animal was a hare. The hare is often associated with moon goddesses; the egg and the haer together represent the god and the goddess, respectively.

Pagan fertility festivals at the time of the Spring equinox were common- it was believed that at this time, male and female energies were balanced.

The colored eggs are of another, even more ancient origin. The eggs associated with this and other Vernal festivals have been symbols of rebirth and fertility for so long the precise roots of the tradition are unknown, and may date to the beginning of human civilization. Ancient Romans and Greeks used eggs as symbols of fertility, rebirth, and abundance- eggs were solar symbols, and figured in the festivals of numerous resurrected gods.
http://web.archive.org/web/200603311...asterbunny.htm

Old
12-09-2012, 01:04 PM
ddawg1950

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Just them Christians stealing yet another pagan tradition for their own as with marriage. BTW what happened to the "Thou shalt not steal" thing anyway???
After discovering that people were more reluctant to give up their holidays and festivals than their gods, they simply incorporated Pagan practices into Christian festivals. As recounted by the Venerable Bede, an early Christian writer, clever clerics copied Pagan practices and by doing so, made Christianity more palatable to pagan folk reluctant to give up their festivals for somber Christian practices.

In second century Europe, the predominate spring festival was a raucous Saxon fertility celebration in honor of the Saxon Goddess Eastre, whose sacred animal was a hare. The hare is often associated with moon goddesses; the egg and the haer together represent the god and the goddess, respectively.

Pagan fertility festivals at the time of the Spring equinox were common- it was believed that at this time, male and female energies were balanced.

The colored eggs are of another, even more ancient origin. The eggs associated with this and other Vernal festivals have been symbols of rebirth and fertility for so long the precise roots of the tradition are unknown, and may date to the beginning of human civilization. Ancient Romans and Greeks used eggs as symbols of fertility, rebirth, and abundance- eggs were solar symbols, and figured in the festivals of numerous resurrected gods.
http://web.archive.org/web/200603311...asterbunny.htm
Well, thank you.

Trust HF to provide answers to my many confusions in life.

Old
12-09-2012, 01:52 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Well, thank you.

Trust HF to provide answers to my many confusions in life.
As always...

You're welcome.

Old
12-09-2012, 02:10 PM
Doppler Drift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
As always...

You're welcome.
Neither of you are ever going to get to Valhalla. Sinners.

Doppler Drift is offline   Reply With Quote