HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2012-13 Lockout Discussion Part VIII: "The 11th Hour" Edition

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-06-2012, 05:52 PM
  #901
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls
 
Brian Boyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,626
vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
lol, you think? that's twice as favorable for the players as the current rules.
No, currently the year-to-year drop couldn't be more than 50%. They're proposing that the lowest point has to be at least 25% of the highest. It is a movement closer.

Brian Boyle is offline  
Old
12-06-2012, 05:53 PM
  #902
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,002
vCash: 500
Tim Panaccio ‏@tpanotchCSN
Daly and Batterman taking this proposal back to owners

Tim Panaccio ‏@tpanotchCSN
this sounds a lot better than it appeared 40 minutes ago when Daly left the building hurriedly

Naoko Funayama ‏@NaokoFunayama
Donald Fehr: "But for any transition issues which we need to discuss, we think there is a complete agreement on dollars." #CBA

RGY is offline  
Old
12-06-2012, 05:53 PM
  #903
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,619
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
I don't think the NHL ever expected the players to agree to 5 year limits. Likewise, I don't think the PA expects the NHL to accept 8. Just posturing.
I can't for the life of me figure out how the owners would allow the season to be canceled instead of taking the 8 year offer. This would basically ensure that no team would have a star player locked up past age 35 or 36, assuming the max contract was given when the player hit UFA status at 27. It's totally reasonable for both sides imo.

broadwayblue is offline  
Old
12-06-2012, 05:53 PM
  #904
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!
 
Florida Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tampa, FLA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,000
vCash: 500
6 or 7 years is what it's going to come down to, obviously

Florida Ranger is offline  
Old
12-06-2012, 05:54 PM
  #905
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,002
vCash: 500
Players there are going to hang around a little to see if the NHL wants to respond tonight.

RGY is offline  
Old
12-06-2012, 05:54 PM
  #906
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls
 
Brian Boyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,626
vCash: 659
So it turns out Daly stomping off was to give the proposal to Bettman and the owners?

Brian Boyle is offline  
Old
12-06-2012, 05:54 PM
  #907
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!
 
Florida Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tampa, FLA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
Tim Panaccio ‏@tpanotchCSN
this sounds a lot better than it appeared 40 minutes ago when Daly left the building hurriedly
Maybe he was excited?!

Florida Ranger is offline  
Old
12-06-2012, 05:55 PM
  #908
Tawnos
Moderator
BoH Mod Only
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 11,276
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
lol, you think? that's twice as favorable for the players as the current rules.
Not when it's combined with the 8 year limit. Basically, it prevents the type of variance after 5 years that would be avoided with the NHLs 5% rule

Tawnos is offline  
Old
12-06-2012, 05:56 PM
  #909
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls
 
Brian Boyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,626
vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
I can't for the life of me figure out how the owners would allow the season to be canceled instead of taking the 8 year offer.
They wouldn't. But they know the players won't cancel the season over a difference of three years on term limits, either, so they're going to try to get the best deal out of them.

Brian Boyle is offline  
Old
12-06-2012, 05:56 PM
  #910
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
So it turns out Daly stomping off was to give the proposal to Bettman and the owners?
Yes.

Players are gona hang around for a little to see if NHL responds tonight.

Tim Panaccio ‏@tpanotchCSN
"players have gone a very long way."

Nick Cotsonika ‏@cotsonika
Don Fehr: "The players have gone a very, very long way. ... The players have done far and away the lion's share."

Joe Haggerty ‏@HackswithHaggs
Donald Fehr also mentioned that the pension will be paid for out of the players' share. Big deal is that the dollars have been agreed upon

Bruce Garrioch ‏@SunGarrioch
You gotta be careful. The NHL and NHLPA have never done the same math.


Fehr says he is out of the expectations and predictions game. In response to reporter's question if it is possible to have a deal tomorrow, Fehr says 'that sure would be nice.'

RGY is offline  
Old
12-06-2012, 05:57 PM
  #911
silverfish
Mr. Glass
 
silverfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Standing on a Train
Country: United States
Posts: 14,389
vCash: 500
Still expecting when Bettman comes to talk, if Bettman comes to talk, that he'll speak about how the league and players continue to speak different languages.

Ultimate pessimist is never disappointed

silverfish is offline  
Old
12-06-2012, 05:58 PM
  #912
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!
 
Florida Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tampa, FLA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
Fehr says he is out of the expectations and predictions game. In response to reporter's question if it is possible to have a deal tomorrow, Fehr says 'that sure would be nice.'
Make it tonight. Talk all freaking night.

Florida Ranger is offline  
Old
12-06-2012, 05:58 PM
  #913
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,002
vCash: 500
Tim Panaccio ‏@tpanotchCSN
He won't make a prediction on when a settlement could happen but admits it could happen soon

Tracey Myers ‏@TramyersCSN
Fehr: "If we can get a positive response and conclude this, hopefully it doesn’t take long (to play hockey again)."

Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice
Don Fehr made things sound pretty good there. The key is if the NHL thinks the NHLPA's offer is as good as Fehr says.

Nick Cotsonika ‏@cotsonika
No BS from Don Fehr. Major moves by PA. We have to wait to hear from NHL, but this is a huge step toward an agreement. Got to get it done.

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun
When Fehr says he thinks there's agreement on total dollars, that includes accepting NHL's Make Whole offer he says

Jesse Spector ‏@jessespector
Fehr on whether there could be a deal tomorrow: “Sure would be nice.”


I thought Fehr was stern and professional in the presser imo.

Tim Panaccio ‏@tpanotchCSN
not sure why the NHLPA needed to call a mediator after hearing this proposal. so many league got too worked up over that this afternoon


Fehr does not characterize these talks as breaking off, not in the slightest. Fehr says the NHL provided people that were there to receive a proposal. Fehr continued to joke with reporters about eating dinner tonight and how to characterize the talks. He seemed in good spirits in that regard. Fehr has clearly, just by the presser, has put the ball in Bettman/NHL's court. Now it's time for the reporters to go to NHL offices for answers.

RGY is offline  
Old
12-06-2012, 05:58 PM
  #914
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls
 
Brian Boyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,626
vCash: 659
Half of these CBA negotiations have been a debate over Math or English.

Brian Boyle is offline  
Old
12-06-2012, 05:59 PM
  #915
bubba5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,007
vCash: 500
The more he talks the more it means there is no agreement. He is trying to justify his side, so when owners reject, don't blame us.

bubba5 is offline  
Old
12-06-2012, 05:59 PM
  #916
silverfish
Mr. Glass
 
silverfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Standing on a Train
Country: United States
Posts: 14,389
vCash: 500
This...

Quote:
Don Fehr paints a picture that the sides being very close yet the @nhlpa was requesting mediation as recently as this aft. #confused
https://twitter.com/darenmillard/sta...37932285956096

silverfish is offline  
Old
12-06-2012, 06:01 PM
  #917
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,619
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
No, currently the year-to-year drop couldn't be more than 50%. They're proposing that the lowest point has to be at least 25% of the highest. It is a movement closer.
Gotcha...didn't catch "of the highest." So basically they could still start the deal at 8 and end it at 2. I still see room for trickery there. A team could still do a 10/9/8/8/7/7/6/6/5/4/2.5/2.5 type 12 year deal with a couple fake years at the end...just like now. I think the league will push hard for a hard maximum deviation per year requirement (say 10%) as opposed to merely a start to end variance limitation.

broadwayblue is offline  
Old
12-06-2012, 06:03 PM
  #918
Pizza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 9,918
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
Tim Panaccio ‏@tpanotchCSN
He won't make a prediction on when a settlement could happen but admits it could happen soon

Tracey Myers ‏@TramyersCSN
Fehr: "If we can get a positive response and conclude this, hopefully it doesn’t take long (to play hockey again)."

Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice
Don Fehr made things sound pretty good there. The key is if the NHL thinks the NHLPA's offer is as good as Fehr says.

Nick Cotsonika ‏@cotsonika
No BS from Don Fehr. Major moves by PA. We have to wait to hear from NHL, but this is a huge step toward an agreement. Got to get it done.

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun
When Fehr says he thinks there's agreement on total dollars, that includes accepting NHL's Make Whole offer he says

Jesse Spector ‏@jessespector
Fehr on whether there could be a deal tomorrow: “Sure would be nice.”


I thought Fehr was stern and professional in the presser imo.

Tim Panaccio ‏@tpanotchCSN
not sure why the NHLPA needed to call a mediator after hearing this proposal. so many league got too worked up over that this afternoon
Color me a skeptic, but I'm smelling set up here. Hope I'm wrong.

Pizza is offline  
Old
12-06-2012, 06:04 PM
  #919
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls
 
Brian Boyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,626
vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Gotcha...didn't catch "of the highest." So basically they could still start the deal at 8 and end it at 2. I still see room for trickery there. A team could still do a 10/9/8/8/7/7/6/6/5/4/2.5/2.5 type 12 year deal with a couple fake years at the end...just like now. I think the league will push hard for a hard maximum deviation per year requirement (say 10%) as opposed to merely a start to end variance limitation.
They also proposed an 8 year limit though. Still things the finished product will be tighter.

Brian Boyle is offline  
Old
12-06-2012, 06:04 PM
  #920
Tawnos
Moderator
BoH Mod Only
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 11,276
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Gotcha...didn't catch "of the highest." So basically they could still start the deal at 8 and end it at 2. I still see room for trickery there. A team could still do a 10/9/8/8/7/7/6/6/5/4/2.5/2.5 type 12 year deal with a couple fake years at the end...just like now. I think the league will push hard for a hard maximum deviation per year requirement (say 10%) as opposed to merely a start to end variance limitation.
Still an 8 year max. And I read it as having to be WITHIN 25%. Which means the lowest amount would be 75% of the highest.

Tawnos is offline  
Old
12-06-2012, 06:05 PM
  #921
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Color me a skeptic, but I'm smelling set up here. Hope I'm wrong.
I'm just as skeptical. To me its either two things, 1) truth or 2) one sided view that is setting up the NHL to look like the bad guy if they respond very negatively.

Fehr did seem respectful of the discussions and refused to comment on the NHL side of it.

RGY is offline  
Old
12-06-2012, 06:05 PM
  #922
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,811
vCash: 500
So let's get this straight. the nhl and nhlpa agree on the dollars. they agree on free agency and player rights...right now the only things they disagree on are how long a max contract can be (5 years vs 8 years) and how long the CBA should be (8 years vs 10 years)

Seriously.....THIS is what's holding up a deal? wtf is wrong with these people?

Inferno is offline  
Old
12-06-2012, 06:06 PM
  #923
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls
 
Brian Boyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,626
vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Still an 8 year max. And I read it as having to be WITHIN 25%. Which means the lowest amount would be 75% of the highest.
That would be more than fair. I haven't seen a source use the word within, however.

Brian Boyle is offline  
Old
12-06-2012, 06:08 PM
  #924
Jabroni
Moderator
The Corporate Mod
 
Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,543
vCash: 500
Fehr is back at the podium.

Jabroni is offline  
Old
12-06-2012, 06:08 PM
  #925
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls
 
Brian Boyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,626
vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
So let's get this straight. the nhl and nhlpa agree on the dollars. they agree on free agency and player rights...right now the only things they disagree on are how long a max contract can be (5 years vs 8 years) and how long the CBA should be (8 years vs 10 years)

Seriously.....THIS is what's holding up a deal? wtf is wrong with these people?
We don't know that they agree on the dollars. Fehr says that but him and Bettman have very different calculators.

Brian Boyle is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:27 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.