HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Washington-Boston

Old
12-06-2012, 03:10 PM
Violent By Design

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
sure you can. did you watch all those games? the reason the boston series went 7 games and ot was in part because holtby stood on his head. also in part because he gave up weak goals in the games they lost. look at game 1. yea, he stood on his head to get them to ot. then the boston winner was soft.

varlamov did stand on his head v the rangers in his first go around. not so much vs the penguins. vs the habs the next year, he was average at best.

my point being that a rookie goalie taking a team deep in the playoffs, much less win the cup is a rare thing. while its true that the caps 3 rookie goalies were great in the team's wins, they were not so strong in the losses.
I'm not trying to blow your mind here, but what if I told you every goalie gives up soft goals?

Holtby and Varlamov both outplayed many proven starters as rookies. The Caps wouldn't have even made it past Boston with most NHL starters in between the pipes.

Violent By Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 03:23 PM
cneely

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb_fan View Post
i said i find it a useless stat for people too trumpet in determing a players value, worth or dominance.

You took it three steps to the right.

In comparison though, would you find were he ranked in playoff scoring last year to be an indicator of his value, worth or dominance?
Three steps to the right? I'm disagreeing, that's all. I don't believe the fact that he played very well and was a huge part in a cup run is a useless fact when assessing his worth.

Of course last year is a stat I would use as an indicator. I'm not going to pick and choose stats.

I'm not really sure what you're getting at. I disagree that his playoff performance, both good and bad, are indicators of his value.

cneely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 07:05 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbr_24 View Post
One goal in a series that they won doesn't really mean much of anything. I saw Quick give up a crappy goal in the playoffs too, in 2011 I saw Tim Thomas have no less than 3 pretty horrible games.

Bad goals happen and Holtby was better than Thomas in that series, no doubt about it. Thomas let in a couple of weak goals.
If I recall correctly, Holtby was great the first few games but came down to earth later in the series. I don't think it was Holtby outplaying Thomas as much as it was Washington's bottom 6 outplaying the Boston group. Ironic since so much credit to the prior season was given to the Boston bottom 6.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 07:07 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb_fan View Post
i said i find it a useless stat for people too trumpet in determing a players value, worth or dominance.

You took it three steps to the right.

In comparison though, would you find were he ranked in playoff scoring last year to be an indicator of his value, worth or dominance?

Krejci had a very good run in those playoffs 2 years ago but he wasn't more important than Thomas, he wasn't more important than Chara, I'd argue that he wasn't as important as Bergeron and I'd say it was a toss up as to whether he was more important than Seidenberg. We are talking about the 4th most important guy on the team..... important for sure, but not an all time great clutch postseason god that some are making him out to be.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 03:14 AM
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
If I recall correctly, Holtby was great the first few games but came down to earth later in the series. I don't think it was Holtby outplaying Thomas as much as it was Washington's bottom 6 outplaying the Boston group. Ironic since so much credit to the prior season was given to the Boston bottom 6.
Bottom six? Well, the Beagle line was great defensively, but they and the 4th line did very little offensively. On the other hand, the Bruins' bottom six carried the load offensively for the first few games of the series. I think the difference was that the Caps top forwards out produced the Bruins'.

Zoidberg Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 04:36 AM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
I will have to disagree with you, I think Thomas was a bit off of his best, maybe even more than a bit, He let in some goals that he usually wouldn't have and in a short series, Thomas not playing his best and Holtby playing at his best really was the biggest part of the Caps win.

There were very few Boston forwards who I thought had even a decent series, none of them with the exception of a few, looked like they were as hungry as Washington. They actually looked tired to me, and the most tired looking player on the team was Thomas.

While I agree that especially the Caps 4th line was better than the Bruins 4th line, they also have a lot less impact on the game than any other players on the team. One more goal from Lucic and marchand probably means the Bruins win that series, if Bergeron wasn't injured the Bruins probably win that series, if Thomas makes even one more save that he usually would have made the Bruins probably win that series.

I have heard other people blame the Boston 3th line for the loss, but the fact is that if the rest of the Bruins forwards played up to par, the goals scored against the 4th line are irrelevant.

Holtby was nothing if not a steady goaltender that his team knew they could count on and at some points he was just downright brilliant, Thomas on the other hand let in a weak goal or two just about every game. Goaltending won that series, no doubt in my mind.

nmbr_24 is online now   Reply With Quote